disgusting littering football fans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

disgusting littering football fans

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 16, 2021 11:12 pm

Awful to see the images from glasgow of the littering in George square.
tons of it, bottles broken al over the place and loads of other assorted mess. the scenes were appalling.
same happened in Liverpool and leeds previously.
No doubt all fans are capable of such shocking behavior, but it says a lot about this present era when so many are incapable of acting respectfully in their own towns and cities.
the costs of clean up fall on the local authorities, but it just shouldnt be happening.
we seem to have thousands of filthy ******** amongst the supporters in the UK Shameful.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret bfcjg CardiffClaret

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Re: disgusting littering football fans

Post by beddie » Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 am

It’s everywhere though unfortunately. Some of the long road verges near us into Skipton are full of it. We walk in some of the most beautiful countryside and often find bottles, crisp packets and general litter and lots of it. I can never understand why people don’t take it home with them. On short walks I often bring back a bag full every week. It’s a general problem in this country, I really don’t have the answer.
This user liked this post: Leisure

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:59 am

Football fans undoubtedly have a much higher % of absolute helmets than your average cross-section of society.

It’s no wonder the police have so little patience with them.

CardiffClaret
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by CardiffClaret » Mon May 17, 2021 8:13 am

This problem angers me so much! It's the laziness of it. It's not difficult to not litter. Just take the effort to find a bin or, god forbid, take your rubbish home with you. It feels to me like this is a symptom of a horrible combination of two of the most undesirable aspects of our society - the throw away culture and lack of personal responsibility for anything. Problem is, it's not exactly better in most other nations, and a hell of a lot worse in many. For all their faults, one of the few places I've been where they seem to have much less of a problem with littering is California. I think littering is much more socially unacceptable and frowned upon there, but I also suspect they have a lot more money to invest in cleaning up!

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 am

Manchester City centre the morning after the UEFA cup final Rangers appeared in resembled a war zone. I have some photos somewhere I’ll put them up.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am

Large groups gathering often leave behind tonnes of litter. Just look at eco warrior Glastonbury.

Litter in general is a big problem now. The country needs a keep Britain tidy campaign like in the 80s.

The council's need to step up though, taken half the bins away and what's left don't get emptied enough.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 am

The streets and roads are cleaner than ever. Civic pride does a fantastic job up and down the country cleaning out rivers, verges and town centres of rubbish etc.

Our towns, cities and countryside are now the cleanest I have seen in my 60 years, people are far more respectful these days
Last edited by Top Claret on Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am

The "eco warrior" Glastonbury encourages litter to be left on site rather than dumped elsewhere. This, of course, includes hundreds of pop up tents which are collected and donated to refugees etc. It makes the inevitable clean up operation efficient and, relatively, cheap.
As for the pigs who litter our towns and countryside, they're part of the entitled culture we now seem to live in where it's becoming more acceptable, it appears, to be as boorish as possible and to hell with the rest. Common purpose ? Thinking of others ? Caring ? Not me, mate.............

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:40 am

mikeS wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 am
Manchester City centre the morning after the UEFA cup final Rangers appeared in resembled a war zone. I have some photos somewhere I’ll put them up.
I was working in central Manchester at that time, I’ve never seen anything like it. Went out for my lunch and had to literally step over people asleep in the middle of the street

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon May 17, 2021 9:05 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 am
Our towns, cities and countryside are now the cleanest I have seen in my 60 years, people are far more respectful these days
:o

Really? :lol:

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon May 17, 2021 9:14 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am
The "eco warrior" Glastonbury encourages litter to be left on site rather than dumped elsewhere. This, of course, includes hundreds of pop up tents which are collected and donated to refugees etc. It makes the inevitable clean up operation efficient and, relatively, cheap.
As for the pigs who litter our towns and countryside, they're part of the entitled culture we now seem to live in where it's becoming more acceptable, it appears, to be as boorish as possible and to hell with the rest. Common purpose ? Thinking of others ? Caring ? Not me, mate.............
Sadly Eddie it's a myth about tents getting passed down to charities. Most end up in landfill.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48184756.amp

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 am

Manchester City Centre 15 May 2008 - the morning after the UEFA Cup Final. Litter left by Rangers fans.
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3552 times
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 3552 times

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:37 am
All this does is encourages people to leave things behind and give people that “someone else will clean up after me” thought.

If I was the organiser I’d have a system where if you clean up and recycle your tent/rubbish you’ll receive a token to be used the next day at the festival or next year(s).

They had a system at some gigs I’ve been at where if you take your plastic pot back you get tokens. There’s also a few people running about at the end getting as many as they can. This should also be done at the Turf. Take your bottle back and receive 5% off the next round.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon May 17, 2021 10:30 am

beddie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 am
It’s everywhere though unfortunately. Some of the long road verges near us into Skipton are full of it. We walk in some of the most beautiful countryside and often find bottles, crisp packets and general litter and lots of it. I can never understand why people don’t take it home with them. On short walks I often bring back a bag full every week. It’s a general problem in this country, I really don’t have the answer.
Sit on the top deck of the X43 on the M66 and just see the litter there on the banking and in the trees. Obviously thrown out of moving vehicles. There used to be a fine for littering. Probably still is but not enforced. A lot of people are just disgusting and all for memememe and sod you.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:05 am
:o

Really? :lol:
You really need to get out more, due to groups like Civic Pride the country has never been as clean.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 am

Top Claret wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am
You really need to get out more, due to groups like Civic Pride the country has never been as clean.
I was laughing at your suggestion that people are far more respectful these days. I beg to differ. And, if people didn't litter the streets, we wouldn't need volunteers (Hats off to 'em by the way), to clean up their mess.

We can agree to differ on the standard of humans in our Country and their "respect" ;)
This user liked this post: Stayingup

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by durhamclaret » Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 am

Top Claret wrote:
The streets and roads are cleaner than ever. Civic pride does a fantastic job up and down the country cleaning out rivers, verges and town centres of rubbish etc.

Sorry but from what I see every day this is simply not true.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon May 17, 2021 10:58 am

Top Claret wrote:

Just have a look in any old picture groups for photos of the town you live in from the 80s.

Very clean.

Now, not so much.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am

Everytime i visit the UK the main garbage is take away packaging which seems to be everywhere .

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 am

Mr and Mrs Pleb have been taught for years now, to live in a selfish, grabbing, devil-take-the-hindmost country, where dishonesty, privilege, elitism and corruption are now simply accepted by the vast majority.

If you disenfranchise the average herberts to the current extent then don't be shocked when they no longer take an interest in their environment.

Take a walk round the Scillies, where the small population are generally stakeholders..absolutely spotless. There is such a thing as society here.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:27 am
Large groups gathering often leave behind tonnes of litter. Just look at eco warrior Glastonbury.
Heh. The family who runs the show might be eco, but the crowd are mostly a cross-section of a busy city centre on a Saturday night. Still, no excuse for not bagging their litter and taking it to the designated collection points.

Litter is a real bugbear of mine. It shows that you don't give a toss about yourself, your environment or anyone else for that matter. I'd bring in mandatory jail sentencing for fly-tipping and heavy fines for littering, and dog fouling, along with community service for repeat offenders. The community service would involve weekends of litter picking and clearing up illegal dump sites while wearing hi vis jackets with 'Litter Lout' along with their name stamped on the back.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6844 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon May 17, 2021 11:43 am

Its parenting, my mum and dad didn't throw litter and criticised litter lots, they used to pick up outside our house as kids, me and my wife do so,my children do and no doubt my grandchildren will.
If people don't have guidance and boundaries the state should seriously hammer them with fines and removal of benefits. Hate litter, love the Japanese football fans though.
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb beddie

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon May 17, 2021 2:37 pm

Top Claret wrote:

Really? Have you walked around Brierfield and Nelson recently.?

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon May 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Littering! If thats a problem worth moaning about you need to give your head a wobble. Just think of the poor buggers in Palestine right now. Then think about the Indian farmers who are committing suicide in their thousands as Zuckerberg and Gates take over/control Indian farming. Lots more to worry about than a bit of litter.

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Mon May 17, 2021 2:45 pm

I walk my dog down a lane by fennyfolds playing fields in Padiham there's a little layby there where cars always park up then just drop there litter only today I've walked past and loads of McDonald's rubbish just left there.I wouldn't care 50 yards back further up the road which they must have drove past is a litter bin not only that a further 10 yards round the corner a bigger bin it winds me up no end the sheer laziness of it

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:40 pm
Littering! If thats a problem worth moaning about you need to give your head a wobble. Just think of the poor buggers in Palestine right now. Then think about the Indian farmers who are committing suicide in their thousands as Zuckerberg and Gates take over/control Indian farming. Lots more to worry about than a bit of litter.
It is possible to care about more than one issue at once you know.

Besides, what is it possible for me to do in relation to either side of the Gaza issue (for which place I am not sure there is anything any individual could do) or Indian farmers (of whom I know not a single one)?

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon May 17, 2021 2:53 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:51 pm
It is possible to care about more than one issue at once you know.

Besides, what is it possible for me to do in relation to either side of the Gaza issue (for which place I am not sure there is anything any individual could do) or Indian farmers (of whom I know not a single one)?
Maybe don't get distracting by trivial issues when really the world is in turmoil. Open your eye and look around, you will see more than littering. Over and out, good day to you.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 pm

mikeS wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 am
Manchester City Centre 15 May 2008 - the morning after the UEFA Cup Final. Litter left by Rangers fans.

IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
Thankfully your photos don't capture the stench of urine that pervaded the city that day Mike!

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:53 pm
Maybe don't get distracting by trivial issues when really the world is in turmoil. Open your eye and look around, you will see more than littering. Over and out, good day to you.
What you are suggesting is that because there are more serious matters occurring elsewhere we should ignore what is going on on our doorstep. That of course is nonsense.

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm
What you are suggesting is that because there are more serious matters occurring elsewhere we should ignore what is going on on our doorstep. That of course is nonsense.
No, I am suggesting there is more to worry about than some litter that was left behind. The control of the Indian farmers is more worrying and that is on your door step, if you fail to think that it is, then you clearly have no idea what is happening and the consequence to us all. So not only our doorsteps but our children's doorsteps. Like I said litter, pfft, sfw

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Go around Ibrox or Celtic Park on any given match day and I guarantee that the streets look the same, cans and bottles everywhere.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Mon May 17, 2021 5:36 pm

Just looked at my doorstep; couldn't see any Indian farmers.

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon May 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:36 pm
Just looked at my doorstep; couldn't see any Indian farmers.
Just looked on mine, couldn't see any litter

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm

I was so concerned about these Indian farmers that I checked with my children and I'm relieved to say that neither had them on their doorsteps. Looks like problem over.

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm

Exactly same at concerts.

Untinted Glasses

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Volvoclaret wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm
I was so concerned about these Indian farmers that I checked with my children and I'm relieved to say that neither had them on their doorsteps. Looks like problem over.
I'll be honest with you, I cringed when I read that. About as funny as Paddy Mcguinness.

Volvoclaret

Post by Volvoclaret » Mon May 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Does that mean I will never be off the telly and coining it in?🤩🤗

yTib
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 665 times

Post by yTib » Mon May 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Top Claret wrote:

proof, if ever you needed it, that this tool is here purely as the troll.

litter is the bane of my area and mcdonalds is the biggest culprit.

i'm in my 40s now and it was never this bad.

the solution? anyone caught littering has to spend four sundays picking up litter dressed in a silly outfit.

edit: oh and mcdonalds and all the big fast food chains should spend a fraction of their massive marketing budgets in shaming littering pillocks.
This user liked this post: durhamclaret

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 17, 2021 8:28 pm

yTib wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:59 pm
proof, if ever you needed it, that this tool is here purely as the troll.

litter is the bane of my area and mcdonalds is the biggest culprit.

i'm in my 40s now and it was never this bad.

the solution? anyone caught littering has to spend four sundays picking up litter dressed in a silly outfit.

edit: oh and mcdonalds and all the big fast food chains should spend a fraction of their massive marketing budgets in shaming littering pillocks.

You sound like you are 14 not 40, calling someone a troll for having a different opinion, ffs grow up

Oh and by the way I have never read such a load of old rubbish

yTib
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 665 times

Post by yTib » Mon May 17, 2021 8:35 pm

you aren't a troll because you disagree with me. you are a troll because you arbitrarily disagree with folk to titillate yourself. constantly.

but nice pun. i doubt you meant it though.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon May 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:58 am
Just have a look in any old picture groups for photos of the town you live in from the 80s.

Very clean.

Now, not so much.
That depends if you call a slagheap "litter". Now they are grassed over and look OK.

Elsewhere, the masses of cigarette ends that skanks have thrown on the floor are fewer by far, but they have been replaced by fast food wrappings, bits of plastic, discarded face asks etc.