Dyche to sign new contract !

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Re: Dyche to sign new contract !

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:21 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 pm
Errrm, post is missing something Paul... :roll:
Hi New, are you thinking I should have included "Exciting Times?" I'm saving that for when we get more information on ALK's investment in the club. Although, it will be "great news" when it's confirmed Sean Dyche has signed a new contract, my post was only concerning the question whether SD should take a pay cut. A pay cut wouldn't be "exciting times."

UTC

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:27 pm

BBC Gossip:
Burnley have agreed a new contract with manager Sean Dyche, 49, who set to be backed in the summer transfer window. (90min)

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 pm

What is the point in trying to point score with posters? Especially with CT of all people?

CT is the reason this site exists and runs - We all should be thankful.
Not having a dig with "smart @rsed" stupidity.

Re SD...
He stays - Great, I hope he stays and is backed and builds.
or
He Goes - New Board get's blamed.

Blamed by people who will never know the reasons or even want to accept why.

It's football - things move.

It's non predictable especially for a club our size.

ENJOY THE RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!
UTC
This user liked this post: dsr

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:39 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:06 pm
Why an odd question Paul?
To answer your question, I think Pace will offer him a increase...but my question was only hyphothetical...its got nothing to do with what I think will actually happen.
I think its well known Dyche gets paid very well. Its unusual for a manager to earn more than his players, but I'm pretty sure Dyche (on his current contract even) does. He is also said to have a big bonus for surviving relegation.

So my question really was, would you accept a lower wage/bonus as manager if there was promise of a higher transfer and wage budget?

These negotiations are a lot more complicated than only Dyche's personal earnings. Taking his personal earnings aside, they will also include things such as the wage and transfer budget he has to work on. Simply put, we are not a rich club and if he took less money himself, he'd have more to work with.

So my question is simply; would you personally ask for less money yourself to free up other money for transfers and wages?
I'd probably ask for a reasonable wage, but at the same time with a limited budget I'm not sure I'd feel it was right earning so much money if it meant the club couldn't sign another player.
I think a sure fire way of not getting Sean Dyche to sign a new contract is to offer him less money. I also think a sure fire indication that Sean Dyche was not planning to stay at the club was if he was to ask to sign a new contract on less money. Think about how frequently football managers/coaches are fired - and that any payoff they receive when they are fired is related to their contractual wage. I can't imagine any manager/coach extending their existing contract on less money. Of course, it's a different question when you've already been fired by your previous club and you don't have a contract. Then it's a question of negotiation with your new club - and I can imagine out-of-work managers/coaches, just like the rest of us, would consider taking a lower wage than their previous contract to get back into work. Of course, their comparison at that point is "no wage" or a "lower than previous wage."

It's a separate discussion on money to buy and pay players. Many teams have spent a very significant amount on transfers and wages, but they've failed to build a successful team - over-paying for players doesn't guarantee success - some clubs have ended up relegated and the manager/coach has got sacked.

Owners of businesses often sacrifice their own wages to be able to invest in and build their business. Mike Garlick, John B and the other directors did this with BFC - and got their reward when they sold their shares. I can imagine, Alan Pace and the other ALK directors being modest in their own wages as directors of the club, that's where the extra player budget would come from. The same would only apply to Sean Dyche if he was also a shareholder in the club - but, I don't see that happening until ALK have developed their model with a few more seasons in the Premier League and proven that BFC can be a "regular top 10" finisher.

UTC

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:15 am

Cubanclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:27 pm
BBC Gossip:
Burnley have agreed a new contract with manager Sean Dyche, 49, who set to be backed in the summer transfer window. (90min)
https://www.90min.com/posts/sean-dyche- ... -exclusive

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:49 am

Obviously the news not deemed significant enough to be announced on the Burnley official website. :o

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:49 am
Obviously the news not deemed significant enough to be announced on the Burnley official website. :o
To be fair, they’ll only do that if and when he signs.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 am

I think the article is just paraphrasing what we have already heard from other sources. Namely, that the Gaffer has agreed a deal in principle, but nothing has been signed.

Thanks to our abysmal recruitment performance in recent seasons we have a mountainous challenge ahead of us. Having a poor transfer window can really hurt a club and thanks to Rigg we suffered five on the bounce. And no, I don't think our problem was a refusal to invest in all of those windows.

It is a big ask, but I'm crossing my fingers that Dyche decides to sticks with us. I'm also crossing my fingers that the rumours about Rigg having left the club are true. News from the club about either of those things would be very welcome.

I'm content to wait for news about the Gaffer. I can understand why he might want to see how things pan out in the next transfer window before making a decision, but having him all signed up would make working in the window easier. However, if Rigg is still heading up our recruitment department and overall strategy then Dyche staying or leaving will make very little difference.

Confirmation about the departure of Rigg would definitely re-kindle my own enthusiasm about the future progression of the club.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 am

Was Rigg the problem?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 am
I think the article is just paraphrasing what we have already heard from other sources. Namely, that the Gaffer has agreed a deal in principle, but nothing has been signed.

Thanks to our abysmal recruitment performance in recent seasons we have a mountainous challenge ahead of us. Having a poor transfer window can really hurt a club and thanks to Rigg we suffered five on the bounce. And no, I don't think our problem was a refusal to invest in all of those windows.

It is a big ask, but I'm crossing my fingers that Dyche decides to sticks with us. I'm also crossing my fingers that the rumours about Rigg having left the club are true. News from the club about either of those things would be very welcome.

I'm content to wait for news about the Gaffer. I can understand why he might want to see how things pan out in the next transfer window before making a decision, but having him all signed up would make working in the window easier. However, if Rigg is still heading up our recruitment department and overall strategy then Dyche staying or leaving will make very little difference.

Confirmation about the departure of Rigg would definitely re-kindle my own enthusiasm about the future progression of the club.
That would be amazing. The club not having your enthusiasm has really held them back recently.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 am

In reality, SD is guaranteed his position, and more money for a number of years, than most of us (or he) could dream of. He could move on to a bigger club, but could quite easily fail and be out of a job in a few months. He’d pick up a fat severance fee, but his reputation (which is extremely important to him) would be tarnished, and any future employ would be limited to Championship or Prem relegation fodder.
In short, I believe that his pride in his achievements welds him to us, and us to him.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:44 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 pm
If and when he signs a new deal I’m confident it will be at a significantly higher pay than his current deal.
A significant increase on 120k a week :o

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:45 am

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:44 am
A significant increase on 120k a week :o
He isn't on 120k a week

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 am

Brilliant news. Seeing my son in a couple of weeks for the first time since last March which I can’t wait for..............and now We have continuity at BFC of management with ownership certain (unlike last season) and Prem League football and money also a certainty with some investment this summer. Just need our new shirts and good Euro 2020 and it’s happy days!!

Oh and if we could get to Spain on hols that would be an added benefit!

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:58 am

He’s holding out for the England job :D

Although with Eddie available still, that’s nailed on isn’t it :D

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 pm
I usually find that 14 year old Twitter users are the most reliable of sources, especially those with 130 followers. :D
I do hope the club announce the news on Twitter before Nathan's bath, jim-jam time and bed time story. He'll be gutted if he reads it the following morning while eating his cocoa pops.
This user liked this post: DCWat

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:28 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:45 am
He isn't on 120k a week
So what does 70k plus 3m bonus come to ?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 am

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:28 am
So what does 70k plus 3m bonus come to ?

You have just answered it.

Tell you what, you come work for me I will give you £150 a week and if you achieve everything I ask then I will give you a bonus of 20k yearly.

Tell me how much you are on is it £150 week or £535 a week. Try getting a mortgage on those terms telling the bank despite being paid £150 a week you are actually on £535.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 am

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 am

Tell you what, you come work for me I will give you £150 a week and if you achieve everything I ask then I will give you a bonus of 20k yearly.

Tell me how much you are on is it £150 week or £535 a week. Try getting a mortgage on those terms telling the bank despite being paid £150 a week you are actually on £535.
They would take previous years earnings into consideration.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 am

claretandy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 am
They would take previous years earnings into consideration.
:D

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 am

What a pointless argument. If someone is on £7.5k basic and £20k bonus, and has achieved that bonus every year for the past few years, you could certainly take that as having a salary of £7,5k and as being paid £27.5k. What I can't understand is how you could believe the other was wrong.
This user liked this post: claretandy

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:58 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 am
What a pointless argument. If someone is on £7.5k basic and £20k bonus, and has achieved that bonus every year for the past few years, you could certainly take that as having a salary of £7,5k and as being paid £27.5k. What I can't understand is how you could believe the other was wrong.
That pointless you felt the need to reply ... again

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 am
That would be amazing. The club not having your enthusiasm has really held them back recently.
Maybe your sarcasm was sustaining it.

Last season was a painful watch. If you don't think our poor recruitment held us back last season we must have been watching different teams.

The gaffer had little to no tactical freedom. It was a case of if you are fit you are playing. The team practically picked itself. Out on the pitch his tactical changes ( given the options on our bench ) amounted to bring a player off 10 minutes before the end to reduce the stress placed on them and boost their recovery time. Through no fault of his own he had nothing to work with.

The season before last we practically crawled over the line. Our players were spent. All of us appreciated the heroic effort that they put in and the magnificent result they achieved. What happened after that was a travesty. Instead of being re-enforced they were expected to do the same again ( with fewer resources ) and make it to the Winter window. When that window arrived they were expected to make it to the end of the season. No loans, nothing.

What the team achieved was legendary. I honestly didn't expect them to have enough to make it to the end. When I say the team I mean everyone ( except the recruitment team ). The lads did fantastic, the playing staff did fantastic, the gaffer did fantastic and the Medical Team did fantastic. I mention the latter because keeping our small squad of veteran players on the pitch and helping them to perform at such a high standard was a product of careful management and considerable planning. We definitely had our fair share of injuries ( in no small part because our players have more miles on their clocks ), just fielding a competitive team was a monumental achievement.

Our bench consisted of development players, who were needed for those rest a player substitutions. Granted they did pick up some experience from being around things, but they would have got far more experience out on loan playing week in and week out. The small number of players we had to work with denied them that.

Last season wasn't a performance that signified forward progression it was a valiant rear guard struggle. I agree with Dyche that it was our most challenging season to date and the greatest performance of our team in recent years. It was a stubborn never say die product born out of a desperate need - in which everyone rose to the challenge and picked up the slack resulting from our poor recruitment in the last 5 windows.

If you think we are currently in good shape, look again, because we have a massive amount of work to do.
These 3 users liked this post: mill hill claret Dark Cloud Juan Tanamera

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am

Last season was a painful watch. If you don't think our poor recruitment held us back last season we must have been watching different teams.

The gaffer had little to no tactical freedom. It was a case of if you are fit you are playing. The team practically picked itself. Out on the pitch his tactical changes ( given the options on our bench ) amounted to bring a player off 10 minutes before the end to reduce the stress placed on them and boost their recovery time. Through no fault of his own he had nothing to work with.

The season before last we practically crawled over the line. Our players were spent. All of us appreciated the heroic effort that they put in and the magnificent result they achieved. What happened after that was a travesty. Instead of being re-enforced they were expected to do the same again ( with fewer resources ) and make it to the Winter window. When that window arrived they were expected to make it to the end of the season. No loans, nothing.

What the team achieved was legendary. I honestly didn't expect them to have enough to make it to the end. When I say the team I mean everyone ( except the recruitment team ). The lads did fantastic, the playing staff did fantastic, the gaffer did fantastic and the Medical Team did fantastic. I mention the latter because keeping our small squad of veteran players on the pitch and helping them to perform at such a high standard was a product of careful management and considerable planning. We definitely had our fair share of injuries ( in no small part because our players have more miles on their clocks ), just fielding a competitive team was a monumental achievement.

Our bench consisted of development players, who were needed for those rest a player substitutions. Granted they did pick up some experience from being around things, but they would have got far more experience out on loan playing week in and week out. The small number of players we had to work with denied them that.

Last season wasn't a performance that signified forward progression it was a valiant rear guard struggle. I agree with Dyche that it was our most challenging season to date and the greatest performance of our team in recent years. It was a stubborn never say die product born out of a desperate need - in which everyone rose to the challenge and picked up the slack resulting from our poor recruitment in the last 5 windows.

If you think we are currently in good shape, look again, because we have a massive amount of work to do.

Just because someone doesn't have an agenda regarding Rigg doesn't mean they don't want the squad stronger.

You have no understanding of how things work at the club which is displayed with each of your posts. You also then get arsey about any player we are linked with due to the person not being on one of your daft wish lists and are quick to generate some name and tell us how much we would get hi for and the wage he would accept. Again some live in the real world some prefer the Walter Mitty style of approach to life

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:29 am

Whilst "liking" Long Time Lurker's post because it talks an awful lot of sense, I would say one thing which I feel is important. None of us know the extent to which Rigg and others scouted and courted agents and players with a view to strengthening our squad only to be knocked back by Mike Garlick, particularly in the latter part of his tenure, saying we weren't stumping up the cash. It's very easy to lay the blame for the travails of last season on "recruitment", but they can only do so much as ultimately they aren't the ones writing the cheques.
These 3 users liked this post: mill hill claret DCWat IanMcL

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:29 am
Whilst "liking" Long Time Lurker's post because it talks an awful lot of sense, I would say one thing which I feel is important. None of us know the extent to which Rigg and others scouted and courted agents and players with a view to strengthening our squad only to be knocked back by Mike Garlick, particularly in the latter part of his tenure, saying we weren't stumping up the cash. It's very easy to lay the blame for the travails of last season on "recruitment", but they can only do so much as ultimately they aren't the ones writing the cheques.
I think his singling out of the recruitment team is nonsensical. They have been working under Dyche restraints and more importantly Garlick restraints.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am

Regardless of our recruitment it's sheer fantasy to think we'll be anything other than a club fighting relegation.

Look at the facts. The so-called big six clubs of Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs & Arsenal won't be relegated anytime soon.

Likewise Everton & Leicester.

That leaves the next group of Villa, West Ham, Leeds & possibly Wolves who all have decent investment.

Then you have Newcastle with a possible Saudi takeover.

All that leaves are the remaining clubs in Southampton, Palace, Brighton & OURSELVES.

Throw in the three promoted clubs and it's clear there is only so much room for clubs to invest.

Anyone who thinks you can have a long term life in the Prem is an idiot.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am

BenWickes wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 am
I do hope the club announce the news on Twitter before Nathan's bath, jim-jam time and bed time story. He'll be gutted if he reads it the following morning while eating his cocoa pops.
His profile: “Burnley ******* Football Club” only added to his authenticity, I thought.
This user liked this post: BenWickes

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:00 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am
Regardless of our recruitment it's sheer fantasy to think we'll be anything other than a club fighting relegation.

Look at the facts. The so-called big six clubs of Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs & Arsenal won't be relegated anytime soon.

That leaves the next group of Villa, West Ham, Leeds & possibly Wolves who all have decent investment.

All that leaves are the remaining clubs in Southampton, Palace, Brighton & OURSELVES.

Throw in the three promoted clubs and it's clear there is only so much room for clubs to invest.

All very true, but the wonderful thing about football is that it's played on a pitch 11 v 11.
Anything is possible, and whilst being a Burnley fan is a roller coaster ride, it's still great fun.
I wonder if we did progress and achieve an 8th to 12th finish in each of the next 5 years, would we be pleased, or would we get bored that theres no edge or thrill left to the games. It's exciting to flirt with Europe, but it's also exciting to avoid relegation. A team with little to nothing to play for would be sad for the fans.

UTCSte
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by UTCSte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:03 am

DCWat wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am
His profile: “Burnley ******* Football Club” only added to his authenticity, I thought.
That Nathan on Twitter is an attention seeking moron.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am

What do you class as long term? So far we haven't done too bad we've done OK, some would say we are established now, that's why some people don't like the prem because for a club like ours it's the same old every season stay in the division the cups don't even get the full strength attention because the league is that important, I remember awhile ago you stating on here that the prem is the place to be, you've got it but you don't seem happy with the blandness. What do you want for crying out aloud?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am
What do you class as long term? So far we haven't done too bad we've done OK, some would say we are established now, that's why some people don't like the prem because for a club like ours it's the same old every season stay in the division the cups don't even get the full strength attention because the league is that important, I remember awhile ago you stating on here that the prem is the place to be, you've got it but you don't seem happy with the blandness. What do you want for crying out aloud?
I'm delighted with our place in the Prem. I'm just pointing out that we can't expect anything other than fighting relegation season on season, bar the odd exception.

I'd hate to be back in the Championship. Who cares about beating the likes of Swansea when you can beat Liverpool at Anfield?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am

If the Americans can re-project Burnley, to a world audience, then the size of the town would become irrelevant. Commercial/sponsorship/tv income would dominate.
These 2 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop Juan Tanamera

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am

I think employment law sees it a bit different to you.

If you earn your bonus regular like Dyche has done (if it's the same bonus) it becomes part of your wage.

I know this as I worked for a company who paid us 14 hours a day at a lower rate for 8 hours, calling them bonus hours. In reality it was to pay less holiday pay.
When the union took up a case for proper holiday pay, they stated regular bonuses counted as your wage.

Obviously this is just basic and you would need proper advise, but it's not as cut and dry as you think it is.
This user liked this post: claretandy

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am
If the Americans can re-project Burnley, to a world audience, then the size of the town would become irrelevant. Commercial/sponsorship/tv income would dominate.
That is what a lot of fans struggle with. They need to realise that the world doesn't end at the boundaries of Burnley. In this technological age we can attract fans far and wide and they don't even have to have ever been or plan on going to Burnley,
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am
That is what a lot of fans struggle with. They need to realise that the world doesn't end at the boundaries of Burnley. In this technological age we can attract fans far and wide and they don't even have to have ever been or plan on going to Burnley,
Or even have a clue where it is. Just how good is that team and brand.
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:41 am

I expect if SD is committing to a long term contract it, and for me it is still an If .. then it suggests strongly that he’s going to be given the tools to sustain and grow the club on and off the pitch. I think the idea is very much working toward making Burnley’s Premier league status sustainable and move the club into a solid mid table side looking up rather than down and tying SD along for the ride is the first puzzle piece of the summer. The club are not going to go shopping until they know they have the manager in place that wants them.

but time will tell

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 am

I don't care two hoots what BFC pay SD , whether its a good salary topped by a significant operating bonus. I worked for a long time in a company where staff who "brought home the bacon" stood to earn annual bonuses if they met their goals and targets.No one begrudged them as the targets were significant and everyone in the company continued to be paid.

SD has regularly brought home the bacon-6 years in the PL is a hell of an achievement and circa £130m-£150m annual income as a result. Lets face it we are not spending it on players.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 am

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:00 am
I don't care two hoots what BFC pay SD , whether its a good salary topped by a significant operating bonus. I worked for a long time in a company where staff who "brought home the bacon" stood to earn annual bonuses if they met their goals and targets.No one begrudged them as the targets were significant and everyone in the company continued to be paid.

SD has regularly brought home the bacon-6 years in the PL is a hell of an achievement and circa £130m-£150m annual income as a result. Lets face it we are not spending it on players.
Over the last 5 seasons haven’t we spent close to 550m on players?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 am
Netspend of £59 million over the last 5yrs.

Only Saints and Palace have a lower figure, but Saints have done very well in player sales, especially VVD to Liverpool.

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
As a footbal fan and not a football finance fan, that figure still amazes me when it's touted, if you Google Burnley fc net spend over the last 5 years it says we have spent 126.6m and sold 74.1m meaning a net spend of 52.5m divided by 5 is 10.5m a year average spend on players. Obviously that is without contracts, bonuses agents fees etc but still somewhere shy of 550m.

Like many others I tend to look at how much a player costs to purchase then add a couple of mill signing on fee and say that's how much said player cost, not take into account agents fees or his wages over the course of 4 years aswell.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Really ??. The £550m may well be our operating costs over 5 years but certainly not on players. Remember- our most expensive player has been circa £15m and we have not bought 36 of them

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am

As others have said it's close to 120million in fees for the last 5 years. Burnley have only spent about 190 million in fees (very a rough estimate) in their entire history, about 160 million of that since 2012 when Garlick/Banaszkiewicz took over.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:38 am

The Brexit deal was signed quicker then this one. Come on Sean get the pen out I need an undisturbed nights sleep.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am
Netspend of £59 million over the last 5yrs.

Only Saints and Palace have a lower figure, but Saints have done very well in player sales, especially VVD to Liverpool.
Appreciate that is transfer funds. But I believe the club has spent 500m or close to that on wages/bonuses/agent fees.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I swear I read that

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:56 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am

It does beg the question about what the fitness team are doing, though. We played 38 league games plus a few half-hearted cup games last season, so if the players were spent, then perhaps their fitness needs improving. Coyle's team played 61 games in 2008-09, and I think 10 of the players played in over 50 matches. We shouldn't be looking on 38 as a stretch for any player.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 am
Appreciate that is transfer funds. But I believe the club has spent 500m or close to that on wages/bonuses/agent fees.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I swear I read that
Ah now that's slightly different to just saying players.

Our wage bill has increased annually and that's always the biggest outlay and also where majority of the TV money goes.
I think it stands at 80% ish.

During the last 5 yrs we've done well on sales, spent money on infrastructure and stadium upgrades where required and yes agents fees and bonuses.

For the money we spend, our return on player investment has actually been pretty good when we look at clubs around us with higher wages and net spends.
Brighton's is approx £200 million over the same period and I can confidently state they aren't getting value for money there.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:11 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:56 am
It does beg the question about what the fitness team are doing, though. We played 38 league games plus a few half-hearted cup games last season, so if the players were spent, then perhaps their fitness needs improving. Coyle's team played 61 games in 2008-09, and I think 10 of the players played in over 50 matches. We shouldn't be looking on 38 as a stretch for any player.
We played a large number of games in a short period of time, playing roughly every 3 days for 6-8 weeks.
We didn't get a proper end of season break, nor a proper pre season.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 pm

WE have had two camps this season-those that are prone to injury ie Brady, JBG, Barnes, Cork, Taylor,Wood and Pope (both to some degree)

Then we have the group that if run over by a bus are fit next game ie Tarks,Mee, Westwood, Vydra. Its meant a long season for some, and its meant no offerings on the bench

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 288 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:56 am
Not sure that’s fair. Factors like shortened break between seasons and that hellish run from Xmas to the end of February when we played something like 16 games in two months knackered us. Comparing last season to pretty much any other regular season is wobbly logic at best.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker