Electric Vehicle

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Electric Vehicle

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 am

Does anyone have an electric vehicle and would you recommend one getting one?

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Re: Electric Vehicle

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:47 am

We are a 100% EV household so yes I would recommend but there are a few things to consider.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I know there are other EV drivers on here too so I’m sure you will get any help you need.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 am
Does anyone have an electric vehicle and would you recommend one getting one?
No and no from me.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:03 am

I’d love one but range and charging time are my concern. They are improving all the time though.
Can anybody tell me how expensive it is to fit your home charger. I read an article that made it sound not as straight forward as some might imagine.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:08 am

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:47 am
We are a 100% EV household so yes I would recommend but there are a few things to consider.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I know there are other EV drivers on here too so I’m sure you will get any help you need.
The company I am with and changed there policy and it makes it very financially rewarding to change to an EV vehicle.

My only concern is the range and cost of using EV.

In my line of work I typically have to do some long trips in the car, do you find it difficult to get a charge on these types of journeys.

Also what is it like to drive? I might have the wrong impression but I imagine they are a bit like a go cart

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 am

minnieclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:03 am
I’d love one but range and charging time are my concern. They are improving all the time though.
Can anybody tell me how expensive it is to fit your home charger. I read an article that made it sound not as straight forward as some might imagine.
https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-pro- ... YcQAvD_BwE
This user liked this post: minnieclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:11 am

I've driven a few different EV's, found them enjoyable and aside from instant power, they're the same handling etc as normal cars.
I've never done a long journey, just round towns.

More fuel stations are getting charging points installed, BP for example, whilst most supermarkets have them, multistorey carparks at shopping centres and places like Travel lodges etc.

They're opening a large charging station near Oxford that's meant to be the biggest in Europe I think with fast chargers.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 am

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 am

Electric vehicles are a new lifestyle!

I love mine.

I have an older Tesla (2016), so get free supercharging.
No tax or maintenance costs except tyres.

Free travel everywhere, so I hope to reclaim my savings, or some at least, over time.

The downside is that being older version, it does not have the higher speed of supercharging, so takes me longer to get back on the road.

Enforced breaks are beneficial though at my age!

Autopilot 1 keeps me in lane and my chosen distance behind the car in front. That overcomes that risk of ramming the car in front.

It helps driving as you can be much more aware of what is happening in other lanes. Safer all round.

I have just bought an inflatable airbed, so I can test the camping mode! That keeps your inside temperature constant and other facilities available.

The range on the newer models are much greater and supercharging very rapid, so you can add loads of miles (couple of hundred) in 20 mins.

The guarantee was 4 years on most and 8 years on the batteries and drive system.

I had a charge unit fitted for £199. It then went up to £249 shortly after. Not sure since. More I expect!
Virtually never use it!

ClaretBrewer
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by ClaretBrewer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 am

I have an Audi E-tron. Lovely to drive and gradually getting over my range anxiety, it'll do about 170 miles on a charge now its a bit warmer, was about 112 in winter with the heating on and charged to the recommended 80%. There's definitely better options for range but I'm really happy with mine (or should I say my wife is as I don't drive anywhere these days so she gets to take it to work)

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm

A word of warning here if anyone is interested, my neighbour purchased a plug in hybrid car and went on to order a home charging pod only to be told they were unable to install it as their house was “looped” with our house (2 detached properties) After a lot of messing about with the power company they had to come and “unloop” them, which could have resulted in digging up both our drives (thankfully it didn’t) but involved digging a hole near their meter box then making good after, which to be fair they did. Also this work was at no cost, after considerable confusion.
IMP it seems a lot of hassle for little gain and I won’t be buying hybrid or electric for a long time yet as there appears we don’t have the infrastructure ready yet.
The power company informed me that there are thousands of “looped” houses and the cost to the country will be millions, let alone the extra hassle for the public. Not for me.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm

I'm all for the concept of EV travel and home. However my concerns are around battery life and recycling/remanufacturing the battery units. I'm hoping Sid can help enlighten me/us on this. Its not my only concern, I also have range issues, but those can be overcome with lifestyle changes like IanMcl has done.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:47 pm

How do people without a driveway charge their vehicle? Flats, Terraces etc where on street or remote parking is the only option. I think the concept is good but not sure everyone can participate.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:54 pm

The national grid is already at full capacity, so it will be interesting to see how we cater for all these car charging ports, there is already talks of concern around how the uplift in DC current is affecting the grid and domestic household's alike.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:59 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:08 am
The company I am with and changed their policy and it makes it very financially rewarding to change to an EV vehicle.

My only concern is the range and cost of using EV.

In my line of work I typically have to do some long trips in the car, do you find it difficult to get a charge on these types of journeys.

Also, what is it like to drive? I might have the wrong impression but I imagine they are a bit like a go-cart
If you can see financial value in getting an EV because of a company scheme then that's a good start - I wish my company did that.

The range has similar consideration to a combustion engine car. I.E. your MPG can be affected by many external factors such as journey type/weather/types of roads you are driving. In an EV they tend to represent the MPG equivalent in 2 ways - Miles per kWh or Watt-hours per mile.

My experience is both my EVs can usually provide around 3.5 miles per kWh on average over the year with a mix of driving. What this means is that if my car has a 50kWh battery - It would give me 175 miles of range. (3.5 X 50). I did a 50-mile pure motorway journey on Sunday and because of warm/dry weather, I was able to get a healthy 4.5 miles per kWh - so it can be better and worse and is very dependent on how you drive.

So in terms of range - the size battery is important. The bigger the better for range without charging.

But you need to think about your typical journeys - if you are doing a lot of miles per day - what are they? you can often top up your car within 20-30 minutes whilst you grab a brew/comfort break so, in theory, it shouldn't be an issue.

Cost of charging - it's cheaper if you can charge at home and if you rely on the public network, it depends on the charger. use 25-45p a kWh as a range. Charging from home its anywhere from 4.5p-15p per kWh depending on whether you have a smart meter and/or tariff for your electricity.

So to work out the cost of a charge - 50kWh battery - just times that by the pence you pay for the electric to give you an estimate. 50 x 5p = £2.50 for a full battery. If you can do 250mile off your battery - that's £10 for 1000 miles of driving. Compare that to a diesel that costs £70 for a tank of fuel and gives you 500 miles and that is £140 for the same 1000 miles.

Public charging will reduce the savings but providing you don't use Ionity at 69p per kWh you will still be quids in.

In terms of what are they like to drive.

Brilliant - they are fast as power is instant. Everyone that has got one that I have recommended them too who have test driven an EV has been suitably impressed with the drive.

If you are doing a lot of miles on the motorway - I would consider a Tesla as they own their on charging network and its very convenient as only Tesla can use them. Have a look on ZAP map or A Better Route Planner to use their maps to see what chargers would be on your typical routes. Map for Tesla chargers are below.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus?v=2& ... %20Kingdom

If you
This user liked this post: IanMcL

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:54 pm
The national grid is already at full capacity, so it will be interesting to see how we cater for all these car charging ports, there is already talks of concern around how the uplift in DC current is affecting the grid and domestic household's alike.
No its not.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/jo ... les-busted
These 2 users liked this post: Rileybobs Taffy on the wing

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Tesla Model 3 long range owner here. Got mine in December and theres been no looking back.

Got a charge point on the side of the house for £500 which means I can basically put back on the charge which is used up on my daily use in around 2 hours. Also have octopus go energy rate, which means a full charge is around £3.50 and will cover my 'spirited' driving for a week's use (approx 275-300 miles).

I also travel up to Newcastle regularly and (although I've only done it once on a single charge) it came back with range to spare off the charge from the night before. Otherwise I charge it at the hotel I stay at and the company cover the charge. If I have to go down south (sometimes head to Bournemouth) there's plenty of Teslacharge points which mean I can replenish the charge required during lunch, to get me home.

Other stuff has been covered above, Newcastle, but happy to answer any questions if it's one of these you're thinking of.
Last edited by Darthlaw on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL thomo27

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:05 pm

We went for hybrid merc a class fantastic car so far such a smooth drive..but nowhere near enough charging points and alot of times they are out of order we find...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm
I'm all for the concept of EV travel and home. However my concerns are around battery life and recycling/remanufacturing the battery units. I'm hoping Sid can help enlighten me/us on this. Its not my only concern, I also have range issues, but those can be overcome with lifestyle changes like IanMcl has done.
If I knew more about a lot of the EV stuff, I'd genuinely be working for McLaren right now, my lack of EV knowledge meant I was 2nd place in the final round of interviews last time I tried, twice I've finished 2nd place there now :roll:

The recycling and remanufacturing of the batteries isn't something I've spent any time reading about I'll be honest, I tend to look at the charging networks, vehicle brand change overs etc.
VW/Audi group recently took over Rimac, the EV supercar company, Richard Hammond wrote off one of their cars on TV, he got caught out by their speed :lol:
This has led to Bugatti moving from being ran by Lambo, over to Porsche but long term it means the current super/ hyper cars will carry on in EV form, something I was told on here a few years back wouldn't happen, but it was obvious it would.
The tech for the EV super cars will of course trickle down to normal cars like they've done for years.

I've said before though that the amount of work required to the national grid will be a game changer for the country and same with getting creative about charging points.
The tech is improving year on year and if I had the finances, I'd switch over to an EV tomorrow.
I'd be interested if solar power tech is integrated into EV cars, the tech is probably close to being good enough to do this and it would help to increase range, especially in the summer when we've all got our aircon on.

The worlds govs will need to keep an eye on what is done with old batteries, we can't just dispose of them in a 3rd world country like we've done for decades with waste and scrapped ships etc.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I have a new Kuga PHEV. Best of both worlds. I get around 30-35 miles out of it in electric only so can use that for most short journeys and then there is the petrol engine for backup onlonger treks. I can charge it through a three pin socket in a few hours too, so haven’t had news to get a wall box installed. On my current tariff I reckon it costs about half the price of petrol on a per mile basis when running in EV only mode. Drives well, doesn’t feel heavy or lacking power. Also nice and quiet. Can’t complain at all.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:32 pm

A solar panel typically will produce 0.5kwh per square metre per day in sunny conditions. If you said you could fit 3 sq m of solar panel on the roof of your car it would generate 1.5kwh per day, Enough to give a range of around 5 miles. Per sunny day. A non starter unless there is a massive increase in the amount of power a PV panel can create. Or you find a way of towing 100 square metres of panels behind you for your 50kwh battery.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:47 pm
How do people without a driveway charge their vehicle? Flats, Terraces etc where on street or remote parking is the only option. I think the concept is good but not sure everyone can participate.
This is something I have also been wondering.

Although I have an “allocated space” it isn’t next to the house (although only 20ft away) and not sure if/how easy to install a charger

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm
The current plan with batteries is that after they become too inefficient to be used in electric cars they will be moved to areas where weight/volume is less of an issue (e.g. storage batteries for rooftop solar power arrays). Obviously there will come a point where they are no longer suitable for those either and the hope seems to be that most of the materials will be reclaimed.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:50 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Although I have an “allocated space” it isn’t next to the house (although only 20ft away) and not sure if/how easy to install a charger
There was a similar discussion on here about this the other day, and I posted this:

I think the point is charging will take place when people are at work, or out shopping for example, as opposed to overnight at home which will negate the need for everyone to charge at home. Get the charging points in the car parks.

As the technology improves, they will be able to get a decent charge in 30 minutes, so park up, plug in, nip to shops etc and it's fully juiced when you get back.
This user liked this post: chekhov

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm

EV’s are just a steppingstone to a more useable technology- hydrogen.
This user liked this post: durhamclaret

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:52 pm

If you think electric vehicles are green, then look up mining for lithium.

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:54 pm

vancouverclaret wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:52 pm
If you think electric vehicles are green, then look up mining for lithium.
Look up drilling for oil and gas.

pompeyclaret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by pompeyclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Portsmouth has charging points retrofitted into lamp posts to get around the charging issue. Also has a scooter rental scheme, which is great for a small flat city with too much traffic. Add on the new low emissions zones coming across the country later this year, there is certainly several ways the government is trying to encourage us to be electric.

Still have a diesel myself though :lol:

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Another concern is the vandalism that accompanies anything shiny and the security of charging. I suppose you need a code or something to prevent someone else coming along and using your electricity point :?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:50 pm

karatekid wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm
EV’s are just a steppingstone to a more useable technology- hydrogen.
Boom!

Hydrogen is a bit like VHS/Betamax/V2000 tangles, all over again.

Looks good as a solution but a distance away to getting anywhere at all, in terms of production models.
This user liked this post: KateR

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:59 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Tesla Model 3 long range owner here. Got mine in December and theres been no looking back.

Got a charge point on the side of the house for £500 which means I can basically put back on the charge which is used up on my daily use in around 2 hours. Also have octopus go energy rate, which means a full charge is around £3.50 and will cover my 'spirited' driving for a week's use (approx 275-300 miles).

I also travel up to Newcastle regularly and (although I've only done it once on a single charge) it came back with range to spare off the charge from the night before. Otherwise I charge it at the hotel I stay at and the company cover the charge. If I have to go down south (sometimes head to Bournemouth) there's plenty of Teslacharge points which mean I can replenish the charge required during lunch, to get me home.

Other stuff has been covered above, Newcastle, but happy to answer any questions if it's one of these you're thinking of.
I've had mine for 2.5 years now & charge at home......not a single complaint!
I love driving past gas stations and seeing the outrageous prices.
When Aluminum-ion Batteries come online i think petrol and diesel will phase out quickly.
This user liked this post: chekhov

yatesybase
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by yatesybase » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:57 pm

I’ve had a Hyuandi Ioniq Electric for the last 12months and love it. But would love a Tesla.

Regular trips to London are ok with a realistic range driving at 70mph (leaving Burnley @100% with 194miles range ),I usually stop at Corley or Watford Gap to charge again.

I use the Ecotritcy on the Motorway network and BP Pulse network as a back up. Cost me (£38 round trip to Watford)

My car takes around 45min to charge from 0-80% and then it’s a trickle charge to 100% a further 1hr. If you require it, Most people only charge upto 80% to preserve battery life.

I also use Zap-Map which gives you all the info in charge points you require in the uk.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:59 pm
I've had mine for 2.5 years now & charge at home......not a single complaint!
I love driving past gas stations and seeing the outrageous prices.
When Aluminum-ion Batteries come online i think petrol and diesel will phase out quickly.
quick google and the Aluminium-ion batteries do look promising, providing they can overcome the manufacturing at scale issues most new tech faces... Thanks for the heads up. Here's one article I found

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltay ... thium-ion/

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:33 pm
The current plan with batteries is that after they become too inefficient to be used in electric cars they will be moved to areas where weight/volume is less of an issue (e.g. storage batteries for rooftop solar power arrays). Obviously there will come a point where they are no longer suitable for those either and the hope seems to be that most of the materials will be reclaimed.
its the hope part that worries me - are we facing another consuming rare earth materials issue all over again without having the foresight to prepare for how to manage it. I've not seen anything forthcoming about how anyone is going to remanufacture or recycle the rare earth metals etc in a safe and large scale, if anyone has any links I'd appreciate the info.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm
its the hope part that worries me - are we facing another consuming rare earth materials issue all over again without having the foresight to prepare for how to manage it. I've not seen anything forthcoming about how anyone is going to remanufacture or recycle the rare earth metals etc in a safe and large scale, if anyone has any links I'd appreciate the info.
Next time someone nicks your Catalytic converter, ask them!

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm
It is possible to recycle, it just isn't cost efficient at the moment. The tipping point will be when it's cheaper to recycle than it is to mine more. With the increased demand then that will probably come sooner rather than later.

Logistically it's also much easier to recycle big car batteries rather than lots of small ones.

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:52 pm

I bought an ex-demo model KIA e-Niro with a 64 kWh battery and really like it. It was the only second hand e-Niro car on sale in my locality with just 5k mileage and the best price. It's so easy to drive and has excellent acceleration. I had a Podpoint fitted inside my garage using the government scheme through the Nissan Leaf scheme which cost me £80 and I can also trickle charge it on a 3-pin plug or use the 7kWh charger. On a full charge on an Eco setting, it offers me 280 mile range, although I have only driven it on a return journey to my daughter's with a return mileage of 170 miles. The usage stated 4.2 kWh for the journey which fits in with the stated range of 270 in real life values,
e.g. most of the journey was on the M62 over the Pennines in reasonable weather. Freezing conditions do alter the range but this has not been a problem for me because of the size of the battery.
I originally decided to try out driving electric, with a second hand Nissan Leaf with a 30kWh battery and a real range of about 126 miles. Trickle charging at my daughter's house during the day gave a bit of a boost to cover eventualities of motorway hold ups. I really enjoyed driving the Leaf and realised I didn't want to go back to a dirty diesel.
Please feel free to ask any questions Newcastleclaret93 if you would like further info. The Kia e-Niro was very well liked for its performance , comfort and ride. I know I made a good choice.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:14 am

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/batter ... and-europe

Industry is already gearing up to recycle these batteries.
The Aluminum ion batteries will be much easier to recycle from what i've read.

thomo27
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by thomo27 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Very similar to this.
I have a new (2 months old) Model 3 Long range. £500 for 7kw Pod Point Charger install after the Governments £350 OLEV grant.
Daily journey to work is 10 miles each way and uses about 8-10% of my charge per day.
A free charging post at work takes about 1.5 hours to get back to 80% (only 3.6 kw so slow).
Living in Rawtenstall I have only travelled as far as York which is roughly a 170 mile round trip. Filled up night before, got home with about 35%, no range anxiety at all.

Before I bought the car I checked countless journeys on an app called 'A better route planner'.
For example, travelling with a full car to Paignton in Devon would only require a 10 minute stop at a Tesla supercharger near Bristol to enable getting to Paignton. We would normally stop longer than that for lunch.

For reference my 7kw pod point charger adds about 30 miles range per hour.
A tesla supercharger can add realistically up to about 500 miles per hour ( I have seen mine at 658) depending on the battery level when charging.

Its an incredible car, never going back.
These 3 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Bosscat chekhov

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 am

https://mol.im/a/9697811

Companies are seriously looking at hydrogen cars now.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 pm

I am waiting for Lucid to sell in Europe.
Will contemplate buying an electrical car next year, but still not sure as I fear that the price of electric will ultimately rise to the price of petrol in the not too distant future.
I am all for zero emission but our govt has already screwed owners of solar panels so there's no reason why they wouldn't do it again...

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 pm

I have just bought an airbed so I can sleep in my Tesla, should the need arise!
Camping mode in the car, started it all!
Mor to these cars than just driveable!

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Tesla are bringing out a Golf sized hatchback in 2023. It’s a marked difference from anything they’ve done before. 4 door smaller car, 250 mile range, for less than £23,000. Everyone in the auto motive industry is conceding that this will be a real game changer. The cars will be built in the largest car plant in the world, currently under construction in China, and a sister plant on a smaller scale in Germany.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm

Won't charging points be sitting ducks for crime/vandalism?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:47 pm

basil6345789 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:44 pm
Won't charging points be sitting ducks for crime/vandalism?
In the same way that traffic lights and litter bins are, yes.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Electrocution for a few vandals?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:23 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57640001

Nissan to build/expand a battery factory in the North East.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:36 am

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 pm
I have just bought an airbed so I can sleep in my Tesla, should the need arise!
Camping mode in the car, started it all!
Mor to these cars than just driveable!
Was about to do the same as they had an offer on one on Amazon Prime day, last week. I go up to the lakes twice a year with my pals so it certainly would have got some use, too.

Couldnt get away from the connotation of sleeping in my car, though, regardless of how much more comfortable it might be :lol:

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:22 pm

I know what you mean!

I was nearly called on to do some night feeding of a new calf, this week. O would have gladly have used it then and parked on site. Managed to avoid!

Currently contemplating Island hopping to the Western Isles, before my week in Aviemore. That might seal the deal!

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:35 pm

I had a demo Electric Vauxhall Vivaro van last week and was quite impressed. I have previously had an LDV and a Merc Sprinter, both disappointing. LDV felt cheap and the Sprinter had really poor range. The Vivaro had around 190 miles from the 75kwh battery and on a delivery route with probably half a ton on board actually exceeded the range - drove 75 miles and the range dropped by 65. They are not suited to my operation due to the distance my vehicles cover and the weight we carry, however they would be ideal for another area within the County Council that shares our site.

The issue, and it is a fundamental flaw is the charging infrastructure. It took me 3 attempts to get the Vivaro charged - Morrisons have 1 charger with 3 options. I wanted the 50kw rapid charge but there was a vehicle using the 50kw Chadamo so only one could be used at once. There is another site close by that has 2 chargers, both were in use. The cost of these is 30p per kwh, so over £20 to charge for 190 miles. We enquired about the feasibility of installing infrastructure on our site to provide for a fleet of vans and support the Council's green agenda. We were quoted £750k to upgrade the cabling onto site, as we are apparently at the maximum available. That is before we install any charging units. I think it will be some time before we make that step unless there are significant incentives offered by National Government.
These 2 users liked this post: SouthLondonexile GodIsADeeJay81