There is still some honest people about

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

There is still some honest people about

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 pm

I don't know if this person is a claret or even posts on here but if you do and this was you I'd like to say a massive thank you to you.

Today my son was on his way to work on the bus and after drawing out a good amount of money he stupidly put his wallet on the seat next to him to sort his bag out and later got off the bus leaving his wallet behind, we later got a phone call from Burnley bus station telling us it had been handed in complete with all his cards and cash.

The person didn't leave their name or contact detail's so if that's you thank you so much and for restoring my faith there is still honest people left in the world.
These 33 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris jedi_master ClaretTony Zlatan Bosscat beddie Juan Tanamera green_parrot Elizabeth aclaretinstevenage Quickenthetempo giveusaB The Enclosure k90bfc Foulthrow Leisure leelad PaintYorkClaretnBlue IanMcL Funkydrummer tiger76 spadesclaret ICL bfcjg Jakubclaret DCWat JohnMac blackburnturfite Jimscho mill hill claret Stayingup LDE holdyourfire

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: There is still some honest people about

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:39 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 pm
I don't know if this person is a claret or even posts on here but if you do and this was you I'd like to say a massive thank you to you.

Today my son was on his way to work on the bus and after drawing out a good amount of money he stupidly put his wallet on the seat next to him to sort his bag out and later got off the bus leaving his wallet behind, we later got a phone call from Burnley bus station telling us it had been handed in complete with all his cards and cash.

The person didn't leave their name or contact detail's so if that's you thank you so much and for restoring my faith there is still honest people left in the world.
That’s brilliant.

I’ve been there. Same thing happened to me but I’d nothing in the walket with any contact details and didn’t even realise until the following morning when I was on my way to an away game. Thankfully someone had handed it in at Burnley bus station and there was nothing missing.

Unable to thank the person who found it and handed it in, I made a donation to charity.

You are right, there are some honest, decent people about.
These 2 users liked this post: Elizabeth tiger76

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 pm

The very last time I was at Turf Moor, I found two crisp £20 notes on the stairwell up to my seat in the Jimmy Mac Upper. I picked it up to hand in (genuinely!), and saw two lads looking around on the floor 5/10 minute later whilst patting their pockets. I asked them what they were looking for and they said “Lost £40 quid mate”.

It’s little things, but it did make me feel good handing that back.
These 7 users liked this post: Zlatan boatshed bill Bosscat aclaretinstevenage Elizabeth PaintYorkClaretnBlue tiger76

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:16 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:42 pm
The very last time I was at Turf Moor, I found two crisp £20 notes on the stairwell up to my seat in the Jimmy Mac Upper. I picked it up to hand in (genuinely!), and saw two lads looking around on the floor 5/10 minute later whilst patting their pockets. I asked them what they were looking for and they said “Lost £40 quid mate”.

It’s little things, but it did make me feel good handing that back.
My brother saw a lad drop a roll of notes when we were in a bar in Tallaght before the pre season Shamrock Rovers match.

When he picked them up and tapped the lad on the shoulder and handed them to the lad ... I thought he was going to get punched...

Then the lad looked down saw the money, and his hand immediately went to his pocket and he went white... he grabbed my brothers hand and shook it smiling and asking what we were drinking ...

It had been his winnings in the bookies ... he had just picked up nearly €600 ... an hour and 3 free pints of Smithwicks Red Deisel later we made our way across to the game.

Like you say ... he said it felt good handing it back and we reckon Burnley FC fans made some friends that afternoon ....
These 2 users liked this post: Elizabeth Falcon

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm

When I was younger I left my season ticket on the bus on the way home from the first game of the season.

I prayed for luck that night by unfortunately some bugger brought it round to my house the next day and I had to endure another 22 games
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill jrgbfc Red Fox Rocks Socks PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Thank you for sharing this Mov , delighted for your son. We need more stories like this to remind us that there are more good people out there than bad .

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:30 pm

I love stories like these.

Me and my old man, along with a few of his friends, went to watch the world rally championship in Italy for a few years.

We drove up into the mountains the night before the stages the next day, and found a little curry house in a place called Digne-Les-Baines.

My Dad paid for the food and we jumped back in the car afterwards to continue our journey. About half a mile up the road, my Dad realised he’d left his wallet on the table.

We turned the car around, to discover a waiter cycling furiously after us, waving my Dads wallet in the air.

The waiter got a rather generous tip that night.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm
When I was younger I left my season ticket on the bus on the way home from the first game of the season.

I prayed for luck that night by unfortunately some bugger brought it round to my house the next day and I had to endure another 22 games
That would be funny if it was true devil

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Can you be dishonestly honest? I think I once was

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 pm

Found a brand new iPhone last year in the park. It had the owners provisional licence inside the case. It belonged to a young lass three streets away. Decided to keep the phone because it was a belter...... No, took it round the house and returned it. She wasn't in but left it with her family. I imagine she would have been well chuffed to get it back.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:43 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm
That would be funny if it was true devil
The story is true but my reaction of disappointment to getting back the next day certainly wasn't. The world is full of wonderful people as the OPs post clearly shows

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:43 pm
The story is true but my reaction of disappointment to getting back the next day certainly wasn't. The world is full of wonderful people as the OPs post clearly shows
Agreed, the bad things in life are more popular on the news though unfortunately.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 pm

A good thread.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:02 pm

A mate of mine found a purse out side of the Reedley Hallows many moons ago, it was an elderly ladies with all her cards etc in and about £20 in cash.
There used to be an hairdressers next door so presumed the lady had dropped it coming out of there, sadly it was closed.

He handed it into the police station as you did back then, left his name and address, and about a week later got a thank you card in the post with something along the lineds of
"Thank you very much for handing in my purse it had all my important cards in, with some things very sentimental to me. You saved me going through a lot of time and trouble with your honesty"
Inside she had put in some money as a reward, which was more than was originally in the purse.

He didnt remember to keep a copy of the ladies address nor could he remember her name, so could never thank her or return the reward.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:28 pm

When I was around 10yrs old my mate and I found a £1 note on the floor in Keighley market. It would have been 1964 and we handed it in to the police station. 3 months later my mates dad got a phone call, (my mum and dad didn’t have a phone in those days) to say the quid hadn’t been claimed so we could have it.
My mates dad collected it and I went round to collect my 10 Bob, alas my share was only 6s and 8d (for those not using pounds, shillings and pence that’s a third in old money).
My mates dad decided he was entitled to his share, although he wasn’t there. 🤬
I never liked his dad 😁😁

giveusaB
Been Liked: 204 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by giveusaB » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:02 pm

Years ago(mid eighties) I found a purse down Burnley town centre.It had quite a bit of money in it so I handed it to the police station and left my name & address.A few weeks later I received a lovely Thankyou letter and a piece of wedding cake.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:57 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:43 pm
I wouldn't say full, he got lucky 9/10 you lose something of value you don't see it again, I can list things in life I've lost & I can't remember ever being fortunate enough to receive back, odd times you do as the OP story, anyhow I'm glad the story had a happy ending & the lost property was retrieved.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am

Many moons ago, (early 60's) my Dad found a 10-bob note in the street. He made a special journey to hand it in at the Police Station. It wasn't claimed and a few months later, a Bobby on a bike turned up at our house with said 10-bob.

My Dad put it into the collection box at Church on Sunday.

He couldn't keep it, it wasn't his.

Funny bloke my Dad :o
This user liked this post: tim_noone

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:56 am

I found a wallet, bulging it was, near the centre circle during the pitch invasion against QPR. I took it straight to a policeman standing on the Longside touchline near the players entrance and handed it in. I've always wondered if it found its way back to its owner. I've had a couple go missing, never to be found, it's a horrible thing to go through and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:42 pm

I lost a wallet containing £600.A man returned it to me 2 days later. Unfortunately I had to punch his lights out when he refused to pay the £60 interest for holding the money for those 2 days

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:10 pm

I was walking my dog a few years ago in Gt Harwood and spotted a wallet on the floor so I picked it up. It had £550 in it and a photo driving licence and a business card. So I went to the address in Ossi only to be met by some rather angry people telling me to go away as the person doesn’t live there. So I drove home when I got there I tried the number on the business card and when I rang a man picked up and said “ have you got my wallet” I confirmed I had and he came over to pick it up he was overjoyed as he was nearly divorced before he had even been married the money was for his deposit for his wedding day. He insisted on leaving me £50 which paid for my beer for the Burnley match the following day.
I also once found two new mobile phones in Manchester and eventually got them back to the owner. Great feeling when you have helped somebody out.