Dear England

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Dear England

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:26 pm

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... yfraha/amp?

Say what you like about his managerial abilities but Southgate speaks / writes very well imo

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Re: Dear England

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 pm

Excellent read. I think he really gets it, best England manager in my life time.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 pm
Excellent read. I think he really gets it, best England manager in my life time.
Are you 6 ?
These 14 users liked this post: LeadBelly Quickenthetempo Juan Tanamera Zlatan Colburn_Claret Vegas Claret Somethingfishy ten bellies Raggus Quicknick gawthorpe_view bobinho ClaretRoob Rowls

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 pm

Yes men usually do know what to say
These 5 users liked this post: LeadBelly Juan Tanamera Quicknick tarkys_ears Rowls

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 pm

joey13 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm
Are you 6 ?
Nope quite simply none better in last 30 years.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 pm

He doesn’t half drone on….

LDE
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by LDE » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 pm
Hasnt been hard tbh

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:59 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
In terms of talking, or in terms if things achieved as a manager in the game?

Ps I doubt he came up with all that on his own off his own back.

Most people have written him off and rightly so with his poor tactics, strange selections/approach and the results/performances so far.
I think this competition will further show the nation to how clueless he is. He getting by purely on his chat and having kept the media and their darling players on side long enough to get another tournament.

Let's hope it doesn't, but I'm rarely wrong.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 pm

England PR team been working hard on that (or is it a spoof?).

Picking the right team/preparing the team/getting tactics right is what Southgate needs to concentrate on and what he'll be judged on.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:32 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 pm
I wish Hoddle hadn't screwed it up. I think he had potential to be a really good manager.
TBH we've had some shockers since Ramsey.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan Colburn_Claret rob63

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 pm

Personally I think Southgate is the worst.

He's going into a tournament where a lot of people have no trust in him and would love him replaced.
Then he has a go at some England fans. Not very wise, as soon as we lose one, the daggers will be out for him.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:42 pm

How many genuinely top international sides have we beaten under Southgate? ... ( when it mattered I mean)...genuine question.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6481 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:42 pm
How many genuinely top international sides have we beaten under Southgate? ... ( when it mattered I mean)...genuine question.
None :lol:

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 pm

Always liked and respected him as a player. Had a wonderful club and international career which was sadly tarnished by a penalty miss. He was one of the few players that always showed up for England.

He's proven in his time as England Manager to be an even better man. I'm not sure he's the right person to take the international team forward on the pitch but his values and principles are superb and he represents us magnificently.

Such a shame he hasn't stood by his pledge to pick form players and leave injuries at home though. Tarky is the biggest victim of that and it stings a bit.

Would love him to make the nation of doubters (myself included at this stage) eat some serious humble pie.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:03 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
How many did Bobby Robson beat in 8 years in competitive games

Failed to qualify to '84 Euros from a group consisting of Hungary, Greece, Luxemburg and Denmark

In the whole of the '86 campaign we managed to beat Finland, Turkey, N. Ireland, Romania, Poland and Paraguay

In the whole '88 campaign we managed to beat N. Ireland, Yugoslavia, Turkey,

In the whole '90 campaign we managed to beat Albania, Poland, Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon

So in 8 years and 4 competitions the only decent team we managed to beat was Belgium with the last kick of extra time after hanging on for large parts of the game

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11032 times
Has Liked: 5644 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
you forgot the laughing emoji --------------> :lol:

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:32 pm
I wish Hoddle hadn't screwed it up. I think he had potential to be a really good manager.
TBH we've had some shockers since Ramsey.
Seems to have been well regarded amongst pro's at the time according to interviews with former players at the time. Then he went all weird, brought in Eileen Drewery and suggested disabled people must have done something naughty in a past life.

I was quite optimistic when Southgate brought in youngsters and we went all free flowing but he's reverted to type and picks names rather than form players. True he can only work with players available to him but some of his selections/tactics, including the current one are more than bizarre.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 am

BenWickes wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 am
Seems to have been well regarded amongst pro's at the time according to interviews with former players at the time. Then he went all weird, brought in Eileen Drewery and suggested disabled people must have done something naughty in a past life.

I was quite optimistic when Southgate brought in youngsters and we went all free flowing but he's reverted to type and picks names rather than form players. True he can only work with players available to him but some of his selections/tactics, including the current one are more than bizarre.
Just simply not true, he has picked the best squad possible. You could argue Lingard or JWP but neither of them are an improvement.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:28 am

Time will tell, we are suppose to have some great players so let’s see how good he is

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 pm
Personally I think Southgate is the worst.

He's going into a tournament where a lot of people have no trust in him and would love him replaced.
Then he has a go at some England fans. Not very wise, as soon as we lose one, the daggers will be out for him.
The “fans” he’s had a go at seem to think it’s a good idea to boo their own team. Not for playing badly, but for making a simple gesture against racism. Not really supporters in the literal sense, are they?

I think Southgate is very wise to take the side of his team in this scenario. The daggers will be out for him as soon as we lose, regardless, but at least this way he retains the respect of his players, which makes the prospect of losing much less likely (although still all but guaranteed eventually).

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:15 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 am
Just simply not true, he has picked the best squad possible. You could argue Lingard or JWP but neither of them are an improvement.
It simply is true, he stated when he took the job he would pick players in form. I ask you this, regardless of his quality (as I personally think he's a good player) is Henderson in form? Based on the fact he hasn't played since Feb I don't think your answer could possibly be yes? Who finished the season in peak form for an English player? Stirling, Rashford, Lingard? Your answers to those questions will speak volumes.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am

Raggus wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:15 am
It simply is true, he stated when he took the job he would pick players in form. I ask you this, regardless of his quality (as I personally think he's a good player) is Henderson in form? Based on the fact he hasn't played since Feb I don't think your answer could possibly be yes? Who finished the season in peak form for an English player? Stirling, Rashford, Lingard? Your answers to those questions will speak volumes.
It depends the range of form you take into account, in terms of Henderson has there been an England midfielder in better form over 2-3 season period? He won absolutely everything. Or do you just take into account the last half season (because remember Lingard has only featured 16 times this season).
Surely you have to take the quality of the player into account?

Otherwise why are we not selecting Toney? He’s the most inform striker in England?

It’s because yes Stirling and Rashford have had a slight dip recently but there stats this season are still incredible and they have proven they are top players.

I just think anyone that says Southgate hasn’t picked the best players available to him are simply nit picking to the extreme.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:44 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am
It depends the range of form you take into account, in terms of Henderson has there been an England midfielder in better form over 2-3 season period? He won absolutely everything. Or do you just take into account the last half season (because remember Lingard has only featured 16 times this season).

Otherwise why are we not selecting Toney? He’s the most inform striker in England?

It’s because yes Stirling and Rashford have had a slight dip recently but there stats this season are still incredible and they have proven they are top players.

I just think anyone that says Southgate hasn’t picked the best players available to him are simply nit picking to the extreme.

Toney? Well about the guy in the North West Counties League who scored 36 goals. He is in form. Southgate is dreadful and has done nothing in his managerial career to show why he should of got the England job.

All them attacking players and he will still pick Henderson and Rice

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:51 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

He may have picked in your eyes and he claimed this also that he has picked the best players.

Sadly just picking the best players doesn't mean you have picked the best squad.

Raggus

Post by Raggus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

But form isnt quantified over seasons, that's class. Form as they say is temporary, so taking players who are as you've just said in a dip is detrimental to the here and now, no point taking players who are out of form now because they were good six month ago. It just goes to show how subjective the statement is/was I suppose. I'd class form as how players are playing over the last 10-15 games, there the players you want starting. I see your point about Toney, but it's not really relevant, he's never played any top level football, the 2 must go together sometimes, by top level I mean prem and or European, not necessarily international as I don't class that as a higher level that European or even the prem.

Personally I think he has picked a good squad, I would change a couple but that's on opinions, I just hope from the squad of 26 he picks the in form 11 to start and for me that doesn't include Hendo, Rashford or Stirling even though there is no doubt about there overall class, there form is off or unknown due to injury so match sharpness won't be there.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 am

Almost immediately, this thread has proved his point and the need to write to the fans. You attack him, and miss the message(s)!

The man, not the manager, is someone to be looked up to and admired for the way he is supporting the individuals and the group but they mainly the game we all love.

In my experience good players don’t always make good managers.

The most successful managers, manage people, not tactics. You’re in an industry where talent isn’t the limiting factor. They wouldn’t be representing England, Germany, or France if it was. If you’ve get the mentality right, if you can provide a culture and platform for performance then your performers will succeed.

Southgate is a players manager, they will walk through walls for him, and for many years prior to being England manager, when he spoke, people took notice.

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am

Raggus wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 am
But form isnt quantified over seasons, that's class. Form as they say is temporary, so taking players who are as you've just said in a dip is detrimental to the here and now, no point taking players who are out of form now because they were good six month ago. It just goes to show how subjective the statement is/was I suppose. I'd class form as how players are playing over the last 10-15 games, there the players you want starting. I see your point about Toney, but it's not really relevant, he's never played any top level football, the 2 must go together sometimes, by top level I mean prem and or European, not necessarily international as I don't class that as a higher level that European or even the prem.

Personally I think he has picked a good squad, I would change a couple but that's on opinions, I just hope from the squad of 26 he picks the in form 11 to start and for me that doesn't include Hendo, Rashford or Stirling even though there is no doubt about there overall class, there form is off or unknown due to injury so match sharpness won't be there.
If you’re in a performance culture, you can’t move the pieces in and out based on snapshots of performance. Trust and loyalty rule in these cultures. Add an unknown and you can mess that up in a second. Toney just doesn’t look like a player i’d want in that group.

Henderson is a leader, a captain and I would imagine Southgates leader in the ‘group’. He comes and plays, no discussion. Look at Van Dyke with Holland. They’ve put him on the coaching staff for that exact reason.

If you want further reading, take time and go for The Jersey: All Blacks. One of the best sport books you’ll ever read about performance culture.

RMcCaw was asked about how you can identify players who didn’t fit in the culture of the All Blacks. He replied, they’ll only have one cap.

Regardless of talent culture wins out every time!
This user liked this post: Milltown1882

Raggus

Post by Raggus » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 am

Claret_tinted wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 am
If you’re in a performance culture, you can’t move the pieces in and out based on snapshots of performance. Trust and loyalty rule in these cultures. Add an unknown and you can mess that up in a second. Toney just doesn’t look like a player i’d want in that group.

Henderson is a leader, a captain and I would imagine Southgates leader in the ‘group’. He comes and plays, no discussion. Look at Van Dyke with Holland. They’ve put him on the coaching staff for that exact reason.

If you want further reading, take time and go for The Jersey: All Blacks. One of the best sport books you’ll ever read about performance culture.

RMcCaw was asked about how you can identify players who didn’t fit in the culture of the All Blacks. He replied, they’ll only have one cap.

Regardless of talent culture wins out every time!
I'm not saying not to pick them, van dyke is on the coaching squad so he is there with the team, no problems with Hendo being the same, I'm talking purely on starting him. I clearly said I think he has picked a good squad my argument is picking players to start from that squad being based on form, generally all in that squad have been in and around the England set up long enough so are all in that 'culture'

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:15 am

I think Southgate's assembled a decent squad. His values are admirable and his players, hopefully, reflect those. If he alienates himself and the squad from a bunch of racist idiots, the kind of goons that are probably more than happy to wreck Marseille, for example, even better.

I hope England and Southgate have a successful tournament.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 pm

joey13 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:33 pm
Are you 6 ?
One of many who just want him to fail.

To me he has had good results when it matters. Is a progressive manager. Carries himself well and leads by example.

Judge him after the tournament. He didnt do too bad at the last one.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 pm
One of many who just want him to fail.

To me he has had good results when it matters. Is a progressive manager. Carries himself well and leads by example.

Judge him after the tournament. He didnt do too bad at the last one.
You may want to go back to my posts during the last World Cup before you pass judgment

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm

I don’t particularly rate Southgate as a coach, but these players all work under top coaches day in and day out. What I can’t find fault in is the way in which Southgate conducts himself, and the way he manages the group.

I’m not exactly an England fanatic but I would love to see them do well in this tournament as it will make for an enjoyable summer of football. The English people who are willing failure upon the team come across as bitter saddos to me.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:29 pm

He's probably the first manager to "get it" since Sir Bobby Robson.
He's well presented and spoken, doesn't hide from the media and ways willing to explain why he's picked certain players or done something a certain way.

I'd fallen out of love with the national team gradually over a number of yesrs and after the 2010 World cup in Africa I was done.
It just seemed like some of the players didn't get it, didn't care and we'd had a number of managers who were poor despite some being very successful at club level and kept getting obsessed with a Gerrard/Lampard combo :roll:

I'll give England a watch at this tournament, simply because I like/respect this manager and I like this team as a group.
We may not get far, we may not win it, but credit where its due Southgate is a manager I can follow and respect.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:28 am
Time will tell, we are suppose to have some great players so let’s see how good he is
I've lost count of the number of 'Golden Generations' we're supposed to have had since 1966, Elizabeth.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
To some extent that isn't his fault. When every group stage has no decent opposition in it, you aren't going to play anyone good when it matters.

Of course, in the last Euro's England actually beat a side ranked in the top 10 at the time in the ELO rankings and who made it to the semi-finals, but was that pre-Southgate? Then came the might of Iceland.

milkcrate_mosh
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by milkcrate_mosh » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:23 pm

timshorts wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 pm
To some extent that isn't his fault. When every group stage has no decent opposition in it, you aren't going to play anyone good when it matters.

Of course, in the last Euro's England actually beat a side ranked in the top 10 at the time in the ELO rankings and who made it to the semi-finals, but was that pre-Southgate? Then came the might of Iceland.
Southgate came in after the Euros. Hard to answer the question above as it's unclear what "when it matters" means. If you only count tournaments then we lost to Belgium and Croatia "when it mattered" but still got to a semi-final having done unbeaten in qualifying. Otherwise we've not really come up against many big teams as we've only played one major tournament.

Does the nations league matter? We beat Spain and Croatia qualifying for that who would probably count. Otherwise we've beaten the Netherlands and had draws with Italy, Germany, Brazil in friendlies.

I'm not sure how much performance against the top teams can be levelled specifically against Southgate either this picture is a couple of years old so misses out a win against Spain but shows that we've not been regularly beating these teams for 50 years.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:21 pm

rob63 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:36 pm
I've lost count of the number of 'Golden Generations' we're supposed to have had since 1966, Elizabeth.
Yeh, very true. A lofty media tag which seems to have started around the time of Beckham.
There's been a lot of overhyped and underperforming England managers since.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm

Southgate is the FA's wet dream in terms of being a media friendly yes man. For decades this has clearly been a more important part of the job description than actually winning matches and trophies. I would be delighted to be eating my words later in the summer but can't see us winning anything with the dead, robot-football that we've been playing. I seriously worry about Scotland turning us over.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 pm
Southgate is the FA's wet dream in terms of being a media friendly yes man. For decades this has clearly been a more important part of the job description than actually winning matches and trophies. I would be delighted to be eating my words later in the summer but can't see us winning anything with the dead, robot-football that we've been playing. I seriously worry about Scotland turning us over.
GS is great at charming the media, but TBH I couldn't care less about his PR ability as he'll rightly be judged on results, now in Russia we didn't fare too badly, but the disappointment in losing to Croatia was palpable, and if England are to make the last 4 or better in this tournament we'll need to be on the ball from match 1, this group has the potential to be a banana skin if we aren't prepared, and should the worst happen and we lose to Croatia in the opening game, and that's by no means out of the question given how tight the contests with them have been in the last couple of meetings, then there'll be huge pressure on that Scotland match, and although it's at Wembley this Scotland team under Steve Clarke is a different animal these days, and they will be well up for that contest even more so if they should happen to get a win over the Czechs in their opener.

Like you I will happily eat my words if Southgate masterminds a successful campaign, but similar to yourself I just can't see it sadly, and England's best chance of glory since Euro 96 will alas go begging again, we had a golden chance in Russia due to the draw opening up and blew it, and we effectively have a home tournament in the Euro's, now if we can't at the very minimum reach the semi-finals given the quality in our squad then Southgate should do the honourable thing and step down.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:47 pm
GS is great at charming the media, but TBH I couldn't care less about his PR ability as he'll rightly be judged on results, now in Russia we didn't fare too badly, but the disappointment in losing to Croatia was palpable, and if England are to make the last 4 or better in this tournament we'll need to be on the ball from match 1, this group has the potential to be a banana skin if we aren't prepared, and should the worst happen and we lose to Croatia in the opening game, and that's by no means out of the question given how tight the contests with them have been in the last couple of meetings, then there'll be huge pressure on that Scotland match, and although it's at Wembley this Scotland team under Steve Clarke is a different animal these days, and they will be well up for that contest even more so if they should happen to get a win over the Czechs in their opener.

Like you I will happily eat my words if Southgate masterminds a successful campaign, but similar to yourself I just can't see it sadly, and England's best chance of glory since Euro 96 will alas go begging again, we had a golden chance in Russia due to the draw opening up and blew it, and we effectively have a home tournament in the Euro's, now if we can't at the very minimum reach the semi-finals given the quality in our squad then Southgate should do the honourable thing and step down.
In Russia we were a side in transition with no expectations whatsoever. Yet got to the semis. And but for poor decision making on the field (think Kane shooting instead of passing) we would have got to the final.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm

Ahh the good old anti-Southgate agenda because he doesn’t pick half of Burnley’s defence who finished 17th in the Premier League and get destroyed every time they get put in a situation getting caught in behind a high line.

Get behind the guy he has played the hand he’s been dealt and picked the best squad available.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:50 pm
In Russia we were a side in transition with no expectations whatsoever. Yet got to the semis. And but for poor decision making on the field (think Kane shooting instead of passing) we would have got to the final.
Yes you raise an important aspect that in 2018 we went to Russia with little or zero expectations, and it was a pleasant surprise to many we got as far as the semi final, and that Croatia game was frustrating because we could have had the match sewn up by HT, however we were wasteful, and it bit us on the backside later in the game.

However this tournament is completely different, and the semi finals is the minimum expected now, partly because of home advantage which should be a bonus, but could also be an added burden on the players, and also because this squad is more mature now, and should hopefully be more street wise at a major tournament, but unlike 2018 England won't get an easy passage through to the latter stages, so if we make it that far we'll have definitely earned it this time

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:16 pm

He’s clearly limited in many ways.

The passing it around at the back we will have to “wait and see”. The Clarets have mugged loads of teams who do that without the personnel to do it right (as England don’t). The good international sides will definitely do it. I fear disaster here. We got lucky in the World Cup - an easy run.

The playing of players out of position is another one. I’m not a fan. Trilps is never a left back for instance.

Playing form players is likely to not be his route either - I predict it won’t be Foden, Mount and Grealish behind Kane. He will play Rashford and maybe Sterling.

Finally, all this lecturing of the fans implying he knows best which never ends well. We now get “Mr Choc Ice” Rio wading in as the main item on BBC Football today which is a bit hypocritical. My point here is that regardless of views on one side of this or the other it is starting to cause a huge divide (only 49% said to Yougov last year they supported footballers kneeling, it will be less now). Many choosing not to boo are pretty brassed off with it all. Southgate should have been savvy enough to sense this and try to get a “One England” support - as said above, the first mistake on the pitch and the knives will be out.

So all reasons why I sense poor judgement and, as a result, a poor if likeable manager. He’s not as clever as he thinks he is.

Milltown1882

Post by Milltown1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:16 pm
He’s clearly limited in many ways.

The passing it around at the back we will have to “wait and see”. The Clarets have mugged loads of teams who do that without the personnel to do it right (as England don’t). The good international sides will definitely do it. I fear disaster here. We got lucky in the World Cup - an easy run.

The playing of players out of position is another one. I’m not a fan. Trilps is never a left back for instance.

Playing form players is likely to not be his route either - I predict it won’t be Foden, Mount and Grealish behind Kane. He will play Rashford and maybe Sterling.

Finally, all this lecturing of the fans implying he knows best which never ends well. We now get “Mr Choc Ice” Rio wading in as the main item on BBC Football today which is a bit hypocritical. My point here is that regardless of views on one side of this or the other it is starting to cause a huge divide (only 49% said to Yougov last year they supported footballers kneeling, it will be less now). Many choosing not to boo are pretty brassed off with it all. Southgate should have been savvy enough to sense this and try to get a “One England” support - as said above, the first mistake on the pitch and the knives will be out.

So all reasons why I sense poor judgement and, as a result, a poor if likeable manager. He’s not as clever as he thinks he is.
Since 1990 how many England managers have taken England to a World Cup Semi Final?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Milltown1882 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm
Since 1990 how many England managers have taken England to a World Cup Semi Final?
What's that got to do with what he's just said?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:29 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:59 pm

Most people have written him off and rightly so with his poor tactics, strange selections/approach and the results/performances so far.
I'm not Southgates biggest fan but the results so far have been excellent, no? breezed through all qualify with zero struggles, final of the nations league and semi final of a WC. I mean you can question his poor tactics, strange selection and boring football but as we are ALWAYS told on here, it's a results business, result first entertainment 2nd.

Lets cut the bullshit, the same people on here whining about Southgate's style of play are the ones telling us all it's all about results when it comes to criticising Dyche's style of play.

Milltown1882

Post by Milltown1882 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 pm
Everything to do with it. A post laced with criticism of a manager that has taken England further than any manager has since 1990 I just don’t understand. If Mee and Tarkowski were in the squad our fans would think he’s Gods gift that’s the sad reality.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 pm
Hang on, just seen it :D

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:33 pm

rob63 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:36 pm
Exactly and how many supposed better managers have done worse than Southgate? nearly all of them.
We had genuine world class players all over the pitch under Sven Capello Mclaren etc This group is nowhere near as talented, works way harder and has had better results, the people of England would rather whine than support the young team though.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Portugal just looked very good in their last friendly and I’ve got a feeling we will play them in the last 16. Can’t see us beating them. Just think it’s too early for this side.