Embarrassed to be an England fan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Berne Leigh
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Embarrassed to be an England fan

Post by Berne Leigh » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:51 pm

Today I have a sick feeling and it is nothing to do with the result. I am proud of the team and their performance throughout this competition. As individuals and as a group they have done us all proud. However the "fans" or at least a vocal minority have once again brought shame upon us.

Running amok in the stadium and trying to force entry is not OK, it is not a bit of fun, it is not a laugh. It was scary for the innocent bystanders and embarrassing for the rest of us.

Booing the Italian national anthem is not OK. It is not a pantomime, it is not part of the game, it is not building an atmosphere. It is rude, disrespectful and completely moronic.

As for the racist abuse words towards members of the team, words fail me. A 19 year old man who has the courage to step up and take a penalty in a match such as that deserves respect not vile abuse from keyboard warriors who have never contributed a single positive thing in their miserable, wretched, pathetic lives.
These 28 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret dermotdermot frankinwales Bosscat Claret Toni Longsider Greenmile yTib Shipclaret spadesclaret minnieclaret simonclaret tiger76 burnley007 bfcjg nil_desperandum The Enclosure Taffy on the wing BertiesBeehole k90bfc Wirvine evensteadiereddie clitheroeclaret3 Putneyclaret ClaretCliffofDover CJW Frenchclaret Culmclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Embarrassed to be an England fan

Post by Dyched » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:04 pm

“They” aren’t fans.

I’m very uneasy at being labelled a racist because of these incidents. What I find disgusting is all those that jumped on the bandwagon over this past month, enjoying our sport, our achievements to then jump back off it last night and label all over us over the actions of a few. A few too many of course. But I’ve been on grounds where racist are called out and are thrown out.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:08 pm

It's proven that a fair amount of the racist abuse is coming from abroad from non English people.
Some of our lot are still dishing it out, but it isn't just us.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Berne Leigh wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:51 pm
Today I have a sick feeling and it is nothing to do with the result. I am proud of the team and their performance throughout this competition. As individuals and as a group they have done us all proud. However the "fans" or at least a vocal minority have once again brought shame upon us.

Running amok in the stadium and trying to force entry is not OK, it is not a bit of fun, it is not a laugh. It was scary for the innocent bystanders and embarrassing for the rest of us.

Booing the Italian national anthem is not OK. It is not a pantomime, it is not part of the game, it is not building an atmosphere. It is rude, disrespectful and completely moronic.

As for the racist abuse words towards members of the team, words fail me. A 19 year old man who has the courage to step up and take a penalty in a match such as that deserves respect not vile abuse from keyboard warriors who have never contributed a single positive thing in their miserable, wretched, pathetic lives.
Couldn't agree more, it's a social disease, this total lack of respect or appreciation for what people so young have tried to do for their country. I doubt if the perpetrators are even football fans, just small minded nobody's trying to be a somebody, but without the courage to succeed. They need naming and shaming so the rest of us can ridicule them into old age.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:11 pm

I’m never embarrassed by other people’s actions I’m only embarrassed about my own, you can’t control how other people choose to behave so why be embarrassed by their conduct, you are responsible & accountable for yourself & nobody else not even the association.
These 3 users liked this post: claret_in_exile Boss Hogg groove

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:11 pm
I’m never embarrassed by other people’s actions I’m only embarrassed about my own, you can’t control how other people choose to behave so why be embarrassed by their conduct, you are responsible & accountable for yourself & nobody else not even the association.
I agree,
but you can be disgusted, which I am.
The behaviour of certain elements of our society is as bad now as I've ever known it.
These 3 users liked this post: Boss Hogg Leisure Buxtonclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:11 pm
Incredible I know, but I agree with Jakub. One difference though, i will condemn the behaviour which he never does.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:22 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:16 pm
I agree,
but you can be disgusted, which I am.
The behaviour of certain elements of our society is as bad now as I've ever known it.
I agree, nothing you can do about it though it is what it is, as long as you endeavour to be a decent person yourself your conscience is clear, you will always get d1ckheads in society.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Berne Leigh wrote:

On the first and third points I agree 100%.

On the second while I don’t agree, it didn’t get booed anyway.

There were a lot of dick heads about though. Many who definitely don’t care less about football. And there was definitely tension in the air outside the ground.

Inside the ground with the exception of the dickheads that tried breaking in and the confrontation that brought the atmosphere was as good as I’ve seen anywhere. Everyone was vocal, partisan but good natured. There were two seperate Italian blokes sat near us and all were treat well and enjoyed it. During the anthems many actually applauded Italy’s. And at the end of the game in and around the ground there was zero bother that I saw. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:04 pm
“They” aren’t fans.

I’m very uneasy at being labelled a racist because of these incidents. What I find disgusting is all those that jumped on the bandwagon over this past month, enjoying our sport, our achievements to then jump back off it last night and label all over us over the actions of a few. A few too many of course. But I’ve been on grounds where racist are called out and are thrown out.
Agree 100%. And you see the proper side of people in defeat, not victory.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:27 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Incredible I know, but I agree with Jakub. One difference though, i will condemn the behaviour which he never does.
I’ll condemn people breaking into a stadium, regarding social media abuse which is WRONG the people themselves are in control & can do something about it themselves to stop it, if something will never change you are responsible yourself for ensuring change nobody else.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Speaking to my neighbour this evening, who was working at Wembley Stadium last night, he told me that the number of fans who forced entry into the stadium without tickets was in the thousands but the authorities obviously want to play down the actual numbers. Initial news reports were that only a small number of fans had TRIED to force entry but were unsuccessful This Statement they were then forced to revisit and revise. He also said that the scenes outside Wembley Stadium after the match had finished were disgusting with broken glass, bottles and debris littering the concourse.

Boris is already talking up the prospect of hosting future tournaments and any adverse publicity could obviously affect our bid.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:41 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 pm
Speaking to my neighbour this evening, who was working at Wembley Stadium last night, he told me that the number of fans who forced entry into the stadium without ticket was in the thousands but the authorities obviously want to play down the actual numbers. Initial news reports were that only a small number of fans had TRIED to force entry but were unsuccessful This Statement they were then forced to revisit and revise. He also said that the scenes outside Wembley Stadium after the match had finished were disgusting with broken glass, bottles and debris littering the concourse.

Boris is already talking up the prospect of hosting future tournaments and any adverse publicity could obviously affect our bid.
I wouldn’t be surprised.

I saw plenty attempting it. Where I was they didn’t manage to get in. And I saw plenty getting arrested. But there were definitely too many to police so unsurprising that big numbers got in and also they had to be ‘self policed’. Also once inside it was clear there was way more than 60k in. My row was packed.

when I was queuing get in, once we got to the front the gates locked and an announcement was made to way the stadium had gone into lockdown due to an incident. Everyone around us thought they had ‘found’ something. Or something equally sinister. We were locked out for a good half hour and we were early.

I can understand why someone would be so desperate to try it. And I know for a fact people got in on fake tickets. But forgetting the pandemic, I hadn’t even thought about hillsborough and the like until someone mentioned last night. Had that stadium sold 90k tickets and that happened there could have been very big problems.

To get into the stadium I needed to have Covid tests, my ticket and ID. None of these were checked and I was an early bird to go in. (Wanting to avoid queues and any problems as well as soak it all in).

It’s these dickheads that will mean the event is scrutinised and forget World Cup 2030. It will be next season that will just make entry more rigorous and hassle.

I don’t blame the stewards. They’re paid bugger all to do a thankless job in difficult circumstances. But I don’t know what the answer is to manage the situation that happened last night.

To add as above. This was predominantly before the ground and outside. All genuine fans with tickets and all inside were brilliant.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:46 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 pm
Speaking to my neighbour this evening, who was working at Wembley Stadium last night, he told me that the number of fans who forced entry into the stadium without tickets was in the thousands but the authorities obviously want to play down the actual numbers. Initial news reports were that only a small number of fans had TRIED to force entry but were unsuccessful This Statement they were then forced to revisit and revise. He also said that the scenes outside Wembley Stadium after the match had finished were disgusting with broken glass, bottles and debris littering the concourse.

There were a few people contacting radio 5 this morning who had taken young children who said they would never attend an England match again. Consistently the same brain dead morons who attach themselves to the national team.
The ease at which ticketless fans appeared to enter the ground for a major final was bizarre.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Word and European cups bring out the biggest dickheads in the world.

A world cup every 2 years? Make it every ******* 10 as far as I'm concerned!

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:03 pm

Not a chance England will be hosting the WC in 2030, and rightly so. Yesterday was like being back in the 70s
This user liked this post: Stayingup

ecc
Been Liked: 1438 times
Has Liked: 1287 times

Post by ecc » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Just seen footage of five "men" kicking a young lad on the ground. Sickening. Doesn't matter which nationality they are, it is sickening.

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:07 pm

i'm embarrassed for other people on a daily basis and i completely agree with the op.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Why would you be embarrassed by the action of people you don't know?

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 pm
Why would you be embarrassed by the action of people you don't know?
i'm embarrassed that you don't know :P
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:36 pm

yTib wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:32 pm
Careful, there are people on here who will call you a snowflake if you are embarrassed. ;)

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:46 pm

yTib wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:32 pm
Are you embarrassed being a man, everytime one attacks a female
Are you embarrassed as a burnley fan when some unknown moron hires a plane etc etc
I could go on, but iam sure you get the gist

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:46 pm

i am genuinely embarrassed for anyone using the term 'snowflake'.

it is only used by those incapable of debate.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Vegas Claret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Was it embarrassing behaviour... Yes
Did the offenders embarrass themselves.. Yes
Should I be embarrassed because iam the same nationality and support the same football team.... Never.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Should I be embarrassed because iam the same nationality and support the same football team.... Never.
I doubt the offenders embarrassed themselves TBH.
This user liked this post: yTib

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 pm

i suppose being embarrassed on somebody else's behalf is an empathy thing.

embarrassing i know.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:06 pm
I doubt the offenders embarrassed themselves TBH.
Iam sure they will say they did, should they ever be caught. Always helps to show a bit of remorse, however false it might be

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 pm

A close friend of mine who has spent a great deal of time living in Italy was contacted today by some Sicilian friends who expressed shock and despair that the Euros had been ruined by the constant booing of every opponent that England had faced. This spoilt it for me as well. Probably more so than having to put up with the vuvuzelas of the South African World Cup. It was embarrassing beyond belief. Any thought of the English sense of fair play is now completely out the window.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Can you be proud of people you don’t know? For example, would you be proud to be a Burnley fan if we won the league?
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:20 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 pm
A close friend of mine who has spent a great deal of time living in Italy was contacted today by some Sicilian friends who expressed shock and despair that the Euros had been ruined by the constant booing of every opponent that England had faced. This spoilt it for me as well. Probably more so than having to put up with the vuvuzelas of the South African World Cup. It was embarrassing beyond belief. Any thought of the English sense of fair play is now completely out the window.
This country's moral compass (as they say) has long been thrown away.
It starts at the top and filters down.
I can just about remember a time when MPs had to be inscrutable, look at the shower of shyte now.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing tim_noone

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:20 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
an embarrassing example of sarcasm?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:21 pm

dermotdermot wrote:
Have we never booed an opponent before?
Have you not heard it at other tournaments?
It's not a new thing, it's not right, but shouldn't be a surprise.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Until there is tougher policing and punishments it’s difficult to see how these idiots are stopped. Not a brain cell between them and need naming and shaming. To give someone racist abuse for missing a penalty is just completely moronic. The country doesn’t want them. They are not fans. I bet they ‘support’ club teams that have players of different colour that they’ve cheered before too which makes them even more stupid. Hopefully some of the online trolls and morons fighting outside can be traced and get lifetime club and country bans.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 pm
Can you be proud of people you don’t know? For example, would you be proud to be a Burnley fan if we won the league?
I do know them though.... I can name the players, I've watched the team for 60 years
I haven't a clue who the idiots were last night, I've never seen them, or know anything about them

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 pm
I do know them though.... I can name the players, I've watched the team for 60 years
I haven't a clue who the idiots were last night, I've never seen them, or know anything about them
You know of them, you don’t know them. So we’ve established that you can be proud of being associated with people that you don’t know, so equally you can be embarrassed through the same association.

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Berne Leigh wrote:

Well said.
Burnley is a troubled place atm, a lot of anger and division.
I hope we get a leader one day that can unite this country, it is a mess!

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 pm

The disorder yesterday was always going to happen unfortunately.

The easing of lockdown, our first major final in god knows how long, a general decline in the standards in society amongst other reasons all contributed.

It was no doubt embarrassing, but I wasn’t even remotely shocked or surprised.

We can kiss goodbye to any future major tournament for the foreseeable, and I just wonder what sort impact yesterday will have on issues such as safe standing?
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:29 pm

Happy to be a New Zealnd rugby fan though, eh Bernie?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:25 pm
You know of them, you don’t know them. So we’ve established that you can be proud of being associated with people that you don’t know, so equally you can be embarrassed through the same association.
I never said that, I might be proud for them, but I wouldn't feel proud myself, I wouldnt have done anything.
I was embarrassed for the idiots last night, but didn't feel embarrassed myself for being the same nationality, which was the original point.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:31 pm
I never said that, I might be proud for them, but I wouldn't feel proud myself, I wouldnt have done anything.
I was embarrassed for the idiots last night, but didn't feel embarrassed myself for being the same nationality, which was the original point.
That’s fine, but that doesn’t mean other people have to feel the same way. I’m embarrassed to be an England fan right now, just as I was to be a Burnley fan after the aeroplane incident. Equally I would have felt very proud to be an England fan had we won last night.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

yTib

Post by yTib » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 pm

the semantic nonsense on this forum never ceases to embarrass me.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Elizabeth

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm surprised those yobs got anywhere near the stadium, never mind on one of the concourses. Same goes for the hours of drunken yobbery outside the ground.

I presumed the area outside and the concourses would have been rammed with the police, given that this was global event and what happened a few years ago outside the Manchester Arena.

I think we can kiss goodbye to any chance of hosting another international football tournament for the next 20 years.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 pm
Until there is tougher policing and punishments it’s difficult to see how these idiots are stopped. Not a brain cell between them and need naming and shaming. To give someone racist abuse for missing a penalty is just completely moronic. The country doesn’t want them. They are not fans. I bet they ‘support’ club teams that have players of different colour that they’ve cheered before too which makes them even more stupid. Hopefully some of the online trolls and morons fighting outside can be traced and get lifetime club and country bans.
It’s not a case of ‘tougher’ policing.

Bottom line is, there’s not enough coppers.

I’ve heard numbers today from colleagues that there were upwards of 250k-500k out on the streets across central and north London.

And the Met had probably 2k max Level 2 public order trained officers to deal.

It’s not rocket science.

The disorder gets so big and widespread that there is simply nothing that can be done.

Lads p*ssed up and coked up by midday.

I’ve had plenty of fights with coke heads on a Friday/Saturday night, and I can assure you, it takes more than one officer to deal.

The Police wade in before the game and make arrests, that takes your finite resources off the streets for later in the day.

Like the riots, there will be a lot of retrospective action taken with CCTV to identify offenders.

This isn’t a really policing or even a criminal justice issue. It’s one for society as a whole.
These 3 users liked this post: Grumps GodIsADeeJay81 aclaretinstevenage

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:43 pm

Not saying that 2 wrongs make a right but I have been to many, many England away games and I can only recall 2 games where 'God save the Queen' wasn't booed.
Those were in Northern Ireland and Kosovo.

I'm surprised when some people seem surprised because England's opponents national anthem is booed!
It's not a new thing and doesn't happen as much now as it did a few years ago, but it does happen, particularly with certain countries.

I don't recall a big discussion on here when the Scottish fans howled and whistled during our national anthem recently at Wembley? Or possibly there was and I missed it?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:44 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm
It’s not a case of ‘tougher’ policing.

This isn’t a really policing or even a criminal justice issue. It’s one for society as a whole.
Totally agree with you on this.
The justice system, and pathetic short sentencing really doesn't help the police. There is precious little deterrent.
But the bottom line is that people in a so-called civilised society shouldn't want to behave like hooligans.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 pm
That’s fine, but that doesn’t mean other people have to feel the same way. I’m embarrassed to be an England fan right now, just as I was to be a Burnley fan after the aeroplane incident. Equally I would have felt very proud to be an England fan had we won last night.
Out of interest, why did you personally feel embarrassed for a plane stunt you had absolutely nothing to do with?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:49 pm

That 8pm kick off was always going to be a problem. Just like a big open air festival for ‘lad’ culture without any of the drug searches. Add to that the common knowledge that ‘jibbing’ in was so easy for Germany and Denmark then it became a magnet for a certain type.

Maybe we’ve become complacent recently. Wembley is all set up for the corporate, family vibe and wasn’t prepared at all for Sunday. Big changes will be needed but it’s not easy with Wembley’s location.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:54 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:49 pm
That 8pm kick off was always going to be a problem. Just like a big open air festival for ‘lad’ culture without any of the drug searches. Add to that the common knowledge that ‘jibbing’ in was so easy for Germany and Denmark then it became a magnet for a certain type.

Maybe we’ve become complacent recently. Wembley is all set up for the corporate, family vibe and wasn’t prepared at all for Sunday. Big changes will be needed but it’s not easy with Wembley’s location.
Absolutely.

The ball was dropped big time on this.

We were changing kick off times 20 years ago for Burnley v Preston games, to limit disorder.

And we thought we could get away with an 8pm ko for a Euros Final? After the warnings we had in the games leading up to it?

Madness.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 pm
Out of interest, why did you personally feel embarrassed for a plane stunt you had absolutely nothing to do with?
Because I was associated with the people who pulled the stunt by virtue of being a fellow supporter of the same club. The following day during a work team meeting a colleague jokingly opened the meeting by asking if I had been flying a plane the previous night. Equally there have been many times when I’ve gone into work the day after a fantastic result and felt enormous pride in supporting Burnley, despite having nothing to do with that result.

I don’t expect everybody to feel the same way as me, but I wouldn’t just dismiss other people for feeling a sense of shame to be associated with other people’s actions. I’m sure all parents feel pride and embarrassment at their children’s actions despite not necessarily having anything to do with those actions, for example.
These 5 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret the_magic_rat Vintage Claret ArmchairDetective CJW

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Just to echo Tsar Bomba's comments above, we were having a drink in a seated outdoor area of the Premier Inn next to Wembley Park tube station before the game.

The police were having their work cut out in trying to keep the main road open to traffic outside the station at the bottom end of Wembley Way.
They were hoplessly outnumbered by drunken people, I wont call them fans because they weren't, and it was very difficult for the police to do their job.

The vast majority of these people didn't have tickets and eventually started thinning out as they made their way from the area to watch the game on TV elsewhere.

From mid to late afternoon it was very dangerous, if you valued your health, walking along Wembley Way because of the mass of people and also because numerous morons were throwing bottles and full cans, police bollards, and anything else they could get their hands on up in the air randomly.

The police were doing their utmost to sort things but faced an uphill battle all afternoon.