ARTICLE: Uwe played for Burnley like a fan would

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Uwe played for Burnley like a fan would

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:14 am

One of the occasional series of looking back at ex-Clarets - and thanks to bobinho for the headline

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/uwe-played ... -fan-would
These 23 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Stan Tastic Berne Leigh minnieclaret PhiladelphiaChris bobinho Aclaret tiger76 Cirrus_Minor Heaton Moor BFC giveusaB Mala591 Buxtonclaret Juan Tanamera Siddo CnBtruntru bfcjg Cajun Andy J tim_noone MrVmax strayclaret Bcap1959

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Re: ARTICLE: Uwe played for Burnley like a fan would

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:41 am

Brought a tear to my eye Tony, and a laugh 'go and get the paint'.
So many great memories of Uwe, especially the 4 against Norwich, didn't Ted MacDougal bag a hattrick for them.
The longer you love this club, the more it gets to you.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 352 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:42 am

Great article Tony. What a player he was.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:45 am

'Played like a fan' is a brilliant description. Great article.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am

Outstanding player for us and just a brilliant bloke too.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 190 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:55 am

Outstanding article great read utc

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:04 pm

Yep he was fantastic i must say . Funny with every pen he took i always used to say he's going to miss this one to whoever would listen to me .

Ightenclaret
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by Ightenclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 pm

I have only ever seen him play on old footage but have fond memories of getting my Adidas Bambas and then Sambas when i was older.. It was always an exciting trip to make…

Wuggawumphwumph
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by Wuggawumphwumph » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:23 pm

My favourite Burnley player of all time and I’ve seen some good uns
These 2 users liked this post: Andy J tim_noone

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:31 pm

What a fantastic player and gentleman Peter Noble was.
My late mum was a huge fan of Peter and I benefitted from her many purchases from his market stall.
Thanks for a great report Tony.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:11 pm

I think the word "commitment" was meant to be used to describe players like Uwe. I've seen many footballers who would have improved as players if they had watched how Peter Noble play and shown some of his desire and commitment.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:21 pm

Great article and sad to read of another ex player appearing to be suffering from a form of dementia. I can just about remember him as a player and could never work out what the crowd were singing about him and I never did find out until many years later. I always looked forward to a visit to his market stall for trainers, boots, subbuteo teams and the like, much to my Mum's dismay as it usually took half an hour to buy anything. I used to have the same experience when i went to Jack Bray's in Nelson, the Man City photos and medals were never far away and Jack could talk for England.

I think the last time i spoke to Uwe was in the Centre Spot for the postponed Liverpool cup game on a Friday evening, 2005 possibly. The one that led to the 1-0 Blame it on Traore game. Great player and as many others have said, a cracking bloke. And i never realised that his daughter Tracey was at the same school as i was many years ago. Should have guessed with the name, but the full head of hair threw me!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:45 pm

A lovely article,CT. I never met him but he comes across as the type of person we'd all like to be our next door neighbour. Affable, humble and honest, the latter of those traits being how he approached a game of football.
I've mentioned before that the marriage of a family member has enabled me to get to know former Claret and team.mate.of Uwe, Billy Rodaway. Last time I saw him we were chatting about his memories of being a Claret, a club he still refers to as 'us' despite him being a staunch Evertonian. I asked him.about 'hard or 'tough players he'd played against and there were plenty. He did single out Joe Jordan as being 'very physical'( though I teased him that being a lad born and brought up in Liverpool 1 he should be able to handle anything) , then he mentioned that in training sessions Peter Noble sometimes had to be calmed down by Jimmy Adamson for his over-aggressive style and as far as Billy is concerned Peter Noble was as hard on the pitch as anyone around. Hoping to see Billy sooner rather than later. Smashing.bloke and great company.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:52 pm

I don’t think there’s a more suitable phrase. “Played like a fan”. Excellent.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Bop wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:52 pm
I don’t think there’s a more suitable phrase. “Played like a fan”. Excellent.
I thought it was perfect for the headline

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:45 pm
A lovely article,CT. I never met him but he comes across as the type of person we'd all like to be our next door neighbour. Affable, humble and honest, the latter of those traits being how he approached a game of football.
I've mentioned before that the marriage of a family member has enabled me to get to know former Claret and team.mate.of Uwe, Billy Rodaway. Last time I saw him we were chatting about his memories of being a Claret, a club he still refers to as 'us' despite him being a staunch Evertonian. I asked him.about 'hard or 'tough players he'd played against and there were plenty. He did single out Joe Jordan as being 'very physical'( though I teased him that being a lad born and brought up in Liverpool 1 he should be able to handle anything) , then he mentioned that in training sessions Peter Noble sometimes had to be calmed down by Jimmy Adamson for his over-aggressive style and as far as Billy is concerned Peter Noble was as hard on the pitch as anyone around. Hoping to see Billy sooner rather than later. Smashing.bloke and great company.
I can imagine him training like that. He was just so totally committed. Billy Rod's another top bloke.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Great article that Tony. Uwe was the first Burnley player I idolised…. I was still awestruck when I met him many times buying my Burnley shirts, footy boots and scarves from his shop. What an absolutely lovely man, and even long after his shop had gone, whenever you saw him and you had your shirt on he’d stop for a quick chat.

My favourite Burnley player ever.
This user liked this post: Andy J

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:04 pm

before my time, can someone explain where and why the name Uwe came from for him ?

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:07 pm

He was definitely one of the most popular players of the 70s.I don't know if I'm being unfair but I've always said a professional footballer should never miss a penalty and in discussions with people I always cite Uwe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:04 pm
before my time, can someone explain where and why the name Uwe came from for him ?
Because it was thought he looked like West German striker Uwe Seeler. The UWE chant (pronounced Hoovay) was the one.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:18 pm

I'm one of many who was sadly too young to witness Peter play in the flesh, but I do recall often visiting his market stall during my youth.

Reading that article brought a wry smile to my lips, I could just imagine the reaction on this forum if we signed a 29 year old from a 3rd tier side, and then didn't even play him in his preferred position, still ultimately the signing of Peter Noble didn't turn out too badly did it, even if the clubs fortunes take a deep decline in that period.

And to still be playing league football at 39 in that era is some achievement in itself.

Great article CT.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:15 pm
Because it was thought he looked like West German striker Uwe Seeler. The UWE chant (pronounced Hoovay) was the one.
Cheers

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:54 pm

I enjoyed that article, thanks very much.

I had forgotten he had also filled in successfully at centre half. What an amazing all round player he was, great at right back. originally a centre forward, brilliant in centre midfield and one of, if not our best ever, penalty takers.

Very approachable later on his sports store in Burnley market and a really nice guy.

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Great article Tony. Don't know if "played like a fan would" or "go get the paint" takes the top prize.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm

One of my all time favourites, I remember the game at Bolton, unbelievable performance by him. The 4-4 against Norwich was my mates only ever live football match, to cut a long story short, he was my driver on a stag night Starting in Burnley and ending in Keighley he didn’t drink but was hooked for life, with Uwe his all time favourite

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by durhamclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 pm

Three words that will live for me forever, Uwe, Uwe, Uwe.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Lovely read, CT.
Up there amongst our greatest of imports.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Sad, but uplifting.

Uwe is one of my top three players from the early 70's. I was there at The Hawthorns when he broke Claret hearts, but I was also there to see many of his goals in later seasons. Scored 4 and still wasn't on the winning side. Not many can say that.

Thank you CT.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:58 pm

Bob Paisley was talking to a journalist after we played Liverpool away. The Burnley team were just leaving and walked past Bob. He said to the journalist that Peter Noble was the epitome of a professional footballer. Praise indeed from the top manager in the world at that time.
I also remember watching us away to Hereford in the league cup midweek around 74 ish. We were winning comfortably and had a corner. Uve looked at the crowd behind the goal and as one we all chanted Uve, Uve...
He really laughed out loud and scored with a bullet header moments later.
Top pro amd a lovely guy.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:03 pm

Siddo wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:58 pm
Bob Paisley was talking to a journalist after we played Liverpool away. The Burnley team were just leaving and walked past Bob. He said to the journalist that Peter Noble was the epitome of a professional footballer. Praise indeed from the top manager in the world at that time.
I also remember watching us away to Hereford in the league cup midweek around 74 ish. We were winning comfortably and had a corner. Uve looked at the crowd behind the goal and as one we all chanted Uve, Uve...
He really laughed out loud and scored with a bullet header moments later.
Top pro amd a lovely guy.
Paisley twice tried to sign him for Liverpool

Cajun
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:24 pm

Have posted this pic before, but never tire of looking at it - one of my favorite Uwe and Burnley goals, one of the hat-trick vs Newcastle as mentioned in your excellent article CT.
Attachments
Fave1.jpg
Fave1.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
These 4 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Suratclaret bfcjg California Colner

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:11 am

Excellent article Tony, was one of my favourite players in that 70s team as well as a certain Mr Waldron and definitely a Dyche type player.

Uwe Noble
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 286 times

Post by Uwe Noble » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 pm

One of the greatest players we have ever had. He was a lion who played with immense passion for our club. Somebody on this board once very aptly called him "Bobby Charlton with attitude". I watched him in the seventies and have great memories. I watched his goal against Rovers in 1978 from the Bob Lord. It was a beautiful thing to behold. Rovers cleared the ball and jt came out chest height to the edge of the area. In one smooth movement Uwe brought the ball under control on his chest then thigh and volleyed the ball into the back of the net. I've watched Burnley regularly since 1973. Even today he would be the first name on my team sheet and my captain.
These 2 users liked this post: Cajun bobinho

Cajun
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Uwe Noble wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:11 pm
One of the greatest players we have ever had. He was a lion who played with immense passion for our club. Somebody on this board once very aptly called him "Bobby Charlton with attitude". I watched him in the seventies and have great memories. I watched his goal against Rovers in 1978 from the Bob Lord. It was a beautiful thing to behold. Rovers cleared the ball and jt came out chest height to the edge of the area. In one smooth movement Uwe brought the ball under control on his chest then thigh and volleyed the ball into the back of the net. I've watched Burnley regularly since 1973. Even today he would be the first name on my team sheet and my captain.
I watched that Boxing Day game and goal from the Longside, saw my dad alive for the last time the previous evening and promised him I would give the lads an extra shout for him -- and how I celebrated those goals from Fletch and Uwe for him. Admired everything about Uwe as a player, a great Claret, and as you say, an ideal team captain.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Moving article, Tony. Thank you very much for it. One of my favourite players of all time.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:32 pm

Great article. What a player. What a pleasure it was to see him again in the Veterans game at Wembley. Best player on the pitch by a country mile…..and I mean both matches!

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 299 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:47 pm

What a great player and competitor he was. I used to love his diving headers. My favourite was his goal at the Cricket Field End as we beat Spurs 3-2 (1974-75) and Match of the Day cameras were there to see it. They had a camera just off the pitch behind the goal and from that angle showed Peter diving in to score with the packed Longside providing a perfect backdrop. I’ve searched YouTube but sadly never found that goal. Enjoyed the article CT, thanks.

Jacka
Been Liked: 64 times

Post by Jacka » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am
Outstanding player for us and just a brilliant bloke too.
Hi Tony, I hope all is well mate.

Just logged in after god knows how many years, and was greeted by this fantastic article.

I've sent the link to Aunty Jen although I'm sure she will of read it, hope you and the family are well. All the best for this season, I will be looking up from league one 1 for a Burnley win as I do every week. Hope you tan them black and white bastards as well ;)....

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Jacka wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:11 pm
Hi Tony, I hope all is well mate.

Just logged in after god knows how many years, and was greeted by this fantastic article.

I've sent the link to Aunty Jen although I'm sure she will of read it, hope you and the family are well. All the best for this season, I will be looking up from league one 1 for a Burnley win as I do every week. Hope you tan them black and white bastards as well ;)....
Good to hear from you. I've not seen Jenny since Peter (or Uwe to us) passed away. I hope she's well.

As for the League Cup, I received a very similar text message from my mate in Sunlan within seconds of us coming out in the draw.

Jacka
Been Liked: 64 times

Post by Jacka » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:23 pm
Good to hear from you. I've not seen Jenny since Peter (or Uwe to us) passed away. I hope she's well.

As for the League Cup, I received a very similar text message from my mate in Sunlan within seconds of us coming out in the draw.
She is well mate, thanks for asking, my mam and dad speak with her once a week.

You know I've just checked and still got the spare service card for you.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks Tony, fitting tribute for a real Clarets legend.
This user liked this post: Jacka

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 pm

I wasn't aware that it was three and a half months since my last 'ex-Claret' article.

There might be another tomorrow.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Well whoever it is, they will do well to be as loved and respected as Uwe.

Look forward to it. I really enjoy reading about the players from my young days (mid to late 70’s) as the memories are very well faded these days.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:03 am

Vegas, UWE was pronounced UVAY. UWE Seeler once scored a great headed goal with his back to goal and Noble scored some great headed goals. Not sure if he scored a similar one to Seeler or almost scored a similar one but once the name was linked it certainly stuck.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:05 am

UVAY as in you vay.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:47 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:03 am
Vegas, UWE was pronounced UVAY. UWE Seeler once scored a great headed goal with his back to goal and Noble scored some great headed goals. Not sure if he scored a similar one to Seeler or almost scored a similar one but once the name was linked it certainly stuck.
It was his hair style.