Next Burnley manager/coach female?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Next Burnley manager/coach female?

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Interesting and well argued article in today's Times.

A woman can coach Adam Peaty — so why not men’s football?

Matthew Syed, Saturday July 31 2021, 12.01am, The Times

I had a number of outstanding coaches during my table tennis career, but one of the best was Jackie Bellinger, who worked with me when I was in my teens. She was wise, determined, technically excellent and understood the game, having played at international level.

It was therefore fascinating to note the level of controversy over her appointment as England junior boys coach. But she’s a woman! These are boys! Nobody batted an eyelid when top male coaches were selected to work with women and girls, but Jackie’s appointment seemed almost transgressive. “I mean,” people said, “where will it end: a female coach for the men’s national team?”

When Judy Murray was first seen watching her son Andy on the screens at Wimbledon, people were outraged that she not only shouted encouragement but had the effrontery to pump her fist too. People compared her aggressive enthusiasm with the decorum of Jane Henman, Tim’s mum. Stories were written about a young man being “tied to the apron strings”, about a pushy mother. Murray received hate mail for years, inspired by anger that she had trespassed into a man’s world.

The same kind of nonsense was ignited when Andy Murray hired Amélie Mauresmo as his coach. That Murray sincerely believed she was the best person for the job didn’t seem to matter. He was accused of virtue signalling, of social engineering and more. But he was merely hiring a tennis coach, one with whom he worked for two years.

I sketch this potted history because it forms the backdrop to a storyline at these Olympic Games that will, I hope, leave a lasting impression. When Tom Daley and Matty Lee won Olympic gold, you will remember their embrace. You may also have noticed the way that their coach, Jane Figueiredo, jumped into the scrum, the three holding one another tight, a team that conquered the Olympic summit with a sequence of dives that will live long in the memory.

Figueiredo isn’t just the coach of Daley and Lee but is regarded as among the best thinkers in the history of diving. Two decades ago she led Vera Ilyina and Yulia Pakhalina, two Russian athletes, to gold at the synchro springboard final at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Her greatest achievement was to not only retain her working relationship with Daley after disappointment in Rio, but chart his course back to greatness, along with Lee, a task that required emotional intelligence and technical know-how.

And then there was Adam Peaty’s brilliant swim to become the first Briton to win back-to-back swimming golds at the Olympic Games. Few who witnessed his demeanour will have failed to be struck by the force of his attitude and the depth of his desire. As he put it, somewhat pithily, in his post-race interview: “It’s about who f*****g wants it more!”

The coach who has masterminded Peaty’s triumph is another woman, Mel Marshall. I have long taken interest in her as a coach because she offers consistently original insights into talent development. In particular, she argues that the job of a coach isn’t to tell athletes what to do but to help them build the character whereby they can take responsibility for themselves — a point with which I wholeheartedly agree.

As she put it in an interview for Swimming World magazine: “I think if you’re doing a good job as a coach . . . then your athletes should arrive at these events responsible, independent, confident and capable. I think if you mollycoddle athletes and if you prepare the road for the athletes, rather than prepare the athlete for the road, they will get very lost very quickly and things will get very stressful in that environment.”

But despite the success of these women, it is indisputable that prejudice still lingers around female coaches working in male sport. Perhaps nothing reveals this more strikingly than in football, where no woman has ever coached a men’s team in the Premier League, the Championship, League One, or Two. Male coaches work perfectly well with women (as you would expect) but the idea of doing it the other way around seems to represent a Rubicon the game can’t bring itself to cross.

I am not suggesting that there should be quotas, or social engineering. I am merely pointing out that it is irrational for football to overlook the talent in 50 per cent of the population. Western science once suffered from a similar prejudice: women contributed almost nothing for a millennium and a half, shut out by the idea that “they don’t have what it takes”, a notion that now looks ridiculous given the likes of Marie Curie, Rosalind Franklin and Dame Sarah Gilbert.

One day we will, I think, look back with amazement at the sexist attitudes that still pertain in the third decade of the 21st century. And we will cite the likes of Bellinger, Murray, Mauresmo, Figueiredo and Marshall as pioneers. They have not only helped talent to blossom but done so against a headwind their male counterparts don’t have to face. They are the best of the best.

PadihamThickNeck
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Re: Next Burnley manager/coach female?

Post by PadihamThickNeck » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:51 pm

No thanks never.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm

I rather have a tactically aware female manager who can make subs at the right time and have faith in youth and will cast a wide recruitment than a ginger dinosaur who has rigid team selection and inflexible tactics.

Given the Mormon attitude to polygamy it maybe an option.

I accept my ban with grace.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5516 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Football (along with cricket and rugby among others) are traditionally male sports.

Tennis, swimming and diving aren't. For that reason, it will be difficult for a woman to be accepted as a professional football coach/manager.

I'm sure it will happen in the future but I think we're still a while away from it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Courting Controversy on Here is a great Pastime.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Of course a woman can coach men, the problem is the male attitude.

Look at Alex Scott as a pundit, dismissed by many, Inc people on here purely because she's a woman
They've even claimed she's gotten her jobs to tick boxes despite the fact she has gone and got the relevant qualifications for the job.

They certainly couldn't do any worse than the likes of Tony Adams, John Barnes and numerous other former players who've failed in management.
Even Mark Hughes is a busted flush at club level.

The Chelsea woman's coach/manager was right to not be interested in the MK Don's job I think it was, she's earned the right to start higher up the ladder.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm
Football (along with cricket and rugby among others) are traditionally male sports.

Tennis, swimming and diving aren't. For that reason, it will be difficult for a woman to be accepted as a professional football coach/manager.

I'm sure it will happen in the future but I think we're still a while away from it.
Go do the research on women's football.
It was purposely blocked by the men at the FA from being allowed to grow many years ago.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:15 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Look at Alex Scott as a pundit, dismissed by many, Inc people on here purely because she's a woman
They've even claimed she's gotten her jobs to tick boxes despite the fact she has gone and got the relevant qualifications for the job.

They certainly couldn't do any worse than the likes of Tony Adams, John Barnes and numerous other former players who've failed in management.

The Chelsea woman's coach/manager was right to not be interested in the MK Don's job I think it was, she's earned the right to start higher up the ladder.
I agree wholeheartedly that a woman could manage/coach a professional mens team, there's absolutely no reason why not. I thought the MK Dons link was treated with a bit too much contempt and ridicule though. I don't know how their manager's salary would compare to the Chelsea Women's, but I would say that managing MK Dons would be a step up in every other aspect.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm
It was purposely blocked by the men at the FA from being allowed to grow many years ago.
I'm well aware of that but can't see the relevance to my post.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:31 pm

brexit wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm
I rather have a tactically aware female manager who can make subs at the right time and have faith in youth and will cast a wide recruitment than a ginger dinosaur who has rigid team selection and inflexible tactics.

Given the Mormon attitude to polygamy it maybe an option.

I accept my ban with grace.
I take it you dislike our current manager,I could be wrong :lol:

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:32 pm

No.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 pm
I'm well aware of that but can't see the relevance to my post.
You've stated football is a traditionally men's sport.
When the Football League etc were created there were women's teams who were blocked from playing.
The men stopped the 2 parts growing together, it was intentionally made a men's only sport.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:15 pm
I agree wholeheartedly that a woman could manage/coach a professional mens team, there's absolutely no reason why not. I thought the MK Dons link was treated with a bit too much contempt and ridicule though. I don't know how their manager's salary would compare to the Chelsea Women's, but I would say that managing MK Dons would be a step up in every other aspect.
She's one of the most decorated managers in football, not just the womens side.

It's like asking a highly decorated male manager to step down to MK Don's....just because it was a woman it was deemed an acceptable level for her.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:05 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 pm

It's like asking a highly decorated male manager to step down to MK Don's....just because it was a woman it was deemed an acceptable level for her.
It's not like that at all. The men's and women's games are drastically different.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:06 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 pm

It’s really not the same. She wasn’t asked to ‘step down’ because she was a female, it’s because her experience is in the women’s game, which with all due respect is a totally different standard to the men’s professional game.

If Emma Hayes considers MK Dons a step down from Chelsea Women then that’s fine, but personally I don’t agree that it is. Would you expect the manager of MK Dons to leave his job for Chelsea Women, for example?

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:11 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:58 pm
You've stated football is a traditionally men's sport.
When the Football League etc were created there were women's teams who were blocked from playing.
The men stopped the 2 parts growing together, it was intentionally made a men's only sport.
I'm not debating the reasons why football is seen as a men's sport - the point is that it is.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:19 pm

As much as ( technically ) of course a woman could /can coach a men’s team ,the underlying problem is woman’s football is terrible when compared like for like . Not their fault even 1% but it’s a huge elephant in the room of women’s football . More linear sports like athletics running , cycling ,swimming etc women have been coaching for years and openly accepted from grass roots up.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:27 pm

If an Italian banker can manage Chelsea or some kid can go onto manage Porto, Chelsea and Spurs just cos he happened to live in the same apartment block as Bobby Robson then prejudice and attitude aside there is no reason why a woman who has had a career in the womens pro game and has good coaching and managing experience should not be capable of making the step into the mens pro game

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:28 pm

No way....although I would accept Cherie Lunghi following her success in the role!

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:32 pm

What next monkey's playing tennis no thanks lol lol lol

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:45 pm

Probably will happen and everyone will have to go along with it or else, but of course it won't really be a female.

Hope I don't have to go to the goolag now. :mrgreen:

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:06 pm
It’s really not the same. She wasn’t asked to ‘step down’ because she was a female, it’s because her experience is in the women’s game, which with all due respect is a totally different standard to the men’s professional game.

If Emma Hayes considers MK Dons a step down from Chelsea Women then that’s fine, but personally I don’t agree that it is. Would you expect the manager of MK Dons to leave his job for Chelsea Women, for example?
I wouldn't see an issue with a man taking over a woman's team, it's generally normal and expected.

The standard will be different yes but every other aspect is the same

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 pm
I wouldn't see an issue with a man taking over a woman's team, it's generally normal and expected.

The standard will be different yes but every other aspect is the same
I don’t mean that a man wouldn’t take over a women’s team, I’m saying that MK Dons’ manager would, I expect, see a move to Chelsea Women’s team as a step down.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1089 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm

I generally like people to have done the job that they then manage. Women should manage women’s football. Women’s football is nowhere near the same level as men’s football. This is all about the general movement to neutralise gender distinction. I’m sure in the future we will be required to field a unisex team.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 pm

Why are you not suggesting quotas or social engineering should be adopted Paul? We have it elsewhere so why not in elite level sport?

I just think that in football, like in a lot (but not all) other professional areas, if you end up teaching, or coaching, or mentoring, you should really have operated at that level. Until we have women who play football at the same level as the men, then things should remain as they are. Women’s football, despite getting better, is still miles away from the standard of the professional men’s game. Is it ok for these men to be coached by someone who can’t actually do it themselves? We have women’s football and we have men’s football, and when we no longer have that, and the game is played by both men and women in the same team, then I just think it should be left alone.

Having said all that, it’ll happen at some point and when it does, good luck to her. Might even be sooner rather than later, that lass that coaches Chelsea who was commentating at the euros seems to understand the game pretty well. Better than me anyway….

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:51 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm
I generally like people to have done the job that they then manage. Women should manage women’s football. Women’s football is nowhere near the same level as men’s football. This is all about the general movement to neutralise gender distinction. I’m sure in the future we will be required to field a unisex team.
I think he means eradicate gender equality but it was a valiant attempt.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:56 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 pm
Why are you not suggesting quotas or social engineering should be adopted Paul? We have it elsewhere so why not in elite level sport?

I just think that in football, like in a lot (but not all) other professional areas, if you end up teaching, or coaching, or mentoring, you should really have operated at that level. Until we have women who play football at the same level as the men, then things should remain as they are. Women’s football, despite getting better, is still miles away from the standard of the professional men’s game. Is it ok for these men to be coached by someone who can’t actually do it themselves? We have women’s football and we have men’s football, and when we no longer have that, and the game is played by both men and women in the same team, then I just think it should be left alone.

Having said all that, it’ll happen at some point and when it does, good luck to her. Might even be sooner rather than later, that lass that coaches Chelsea who was commentating at the euros seems to understand the game pretty well. Better than me anyway….
By your argument nobody should be managing at a higher level than they played at. That would include a certain Sean Dyche.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 pm

Coaching and managing require a completely different skillset to playing. There’s absolutely no reason why someone should have to have done a job to be able to manage/coach others to do that job. This doesn’t just apply to football, but to any number of jobs. It’s no different to the number of successful football managers, including our very own, who never played at the elite level.
Last edited by Rileybobs on Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm

Why would a man who had played all his career in the 4th division automatically be a better coach than a woman who had played at the top of the women's game and completed the higher levels of coaching qualifications?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 pm

What about a transgender as coach?

Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:51 pm
I think he means eradicate gender equality but it was a valiant attempt.
What a surprise it has rattled this poster’s feathers.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 pm
What a surprise it has rattled this poster’s feathers.
Do feathers rattle?

Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 pm

You can tell it’s the school holidays

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:10 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 pm
You can tell it’s the school holidays
How?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm
Coaching and managing require a completely different skillset to playing. There’s absolutely no reason why someone should have to have done a job to be able to manage/coach others to do that job. This doesn’t just apply to football, but to any number of jobs. It’s no different to the number of successful football managers, including our very own, who never played at the elite level.
Ok, fair enough. Can you weld? Ok you might not be able to, but you at least know it’s about permanently fixing two metals together right? Righto, you have the basics…now try teaching someone….

Yeah, I’m just being flippant. Would I be bothered if our next manager was female? Nah….. I’d just want her to be good.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:11 pm
Ok, fair enough. Can you weld? Ok you might not be able to, but you at least know it’s about permanently fixing two metals together right? Righto, you have the basics…now try teaching someone….

Yeah, I’m just being flippant. Would I be bothered if our next manager was female? Nah….. I’d just want her to be good.
Well, there is a distinction between a teacher, a coach and a manager. I can’t weld, but I may well be able to manage a team of welders. Sean Dyche couldn’t play football to the same standard as any of our players. He probably couldn’t goalkeep at all, yet he’s managing an England international goalkeeper. He’s also managing a team of staff who will all know a hell of a lot more about their specialist area than he does. The argument just doesn’t hold up.

Totally agree with your second paragraph though.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 pm

I’m concerned a little that we may end up with positive discrimination in order to get a woman into a role, because some see it as a bastion of masculinity that needs to be breached.

I suppose if they have all the tickets and the quals, why not?

It’s currently a male dominated sport. Is that right? I dunno. Is it wrong? I dunno. But irrespective of why football and rugby and other “men’s” sports exist and operate as they do, I have no issue with a woman managing or coaching a team if they are good enough. Thinking back to my army days, I worked for some female soldiers who were better than some of the men, and that was a male dominated environment for a long time.

You know what? Yeah, bring it on. Be a big shout for a professional club to do it, but no reason for it to fail other than player power, and we’ve seen how that can cripple a male coach/manager.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 pm
Well, there is a distinction between a teacher, a coach and a manager. I can’t weld, but I may well be able to manage a team of welders. Sean Dyche couldn’t play football to the same standard as any of our players. He probably couldn’t goalkeep at all, yet he’s managing an England international goalkeeper. He’s also managing a team of staff who will all know a hell of a lot more about their specialist area than he does. The argument just doesn’t hold up.

Totally agree with your second paragraph though.
You’re right it doesn’t hold up using the word manager. Swap it for coach and maybe it would. SD manages Pope, but a SME coaches him. I’m sure you could manage a team of welders, you don’t need to weld yourself to have something welded. But to take your welder to the standard of being coded, he needs coaching.

Emma hayes was the lass on the telly. She got some pellets on here during the euros but she sounded well clued up and like she has studied the game to me.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:38 pm

And of course we need the team of men to forget any preconceptions and buy into whatever it is she wants to achieve and how best to do that.

Ego of the superstar may have a bigger part to play than the ability of the female coach thinking about it.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:42 pm

I saw the name of the author and didn’t read anymore. His table tennis was slightly better than his journalism

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:38 pm
And of course we need the team of men to forget any preconceptions and buy into whatever it is she wants to achieve and how best to do that.

Ego of the superstar may have a bigger part to play than the ability of the female coach thinking about it.
I think the players will buy into the philosophy of the manager regardless of gender, they've had to listen to managers with little or no experience in football as a player or manager, it isn't any different to being told your new boss is a woman.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 pm
I think the players will buy into the philosophy of the manager regardless of gender, they've had to listen to managers with little or no experience in football as a player or manager, it isn't any different to being told your new boss is a woman.
Gods Gift to Women... :roll:

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 pm

They are already mixing and matching genders at the Olympics in swimming relays and Triathalon events. How much longer until gender equality forces a change to mixed teams in sports such as football and cricket? Why just stop at coaches and managers?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:56 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:01 pm

Alex Scott is dismissed on here primarily because she’s dreadful. Her presenting on the BBC Olympics coverage is awful. Compare her to Clare Balding who is an excellent presenter.

She’s beautiful to look at, but shite at presenting and punditry.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:19 pm

If you have proved yourself good enough then of course anyone can do the job.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:29 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:56 pm
Alex Scott is dismissed on here primarily because she’s dreadful. Her presenting on the BBC Olympics coverage is awful. Compare her to Clare Balding who is an excellent presenter.

She’s beautiful to look at, but shite at presenting and punditry.
Has Clare Balding always been an excellent presenter?
I don't know, I haven't watched much of her throughout her career.

Are people allowed to get better before they're just written off as shite?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 pm
They are already mixing and matching genders at the Olympics in swimming relays and Triathalon events. How much longer until gender equality forces a change to mixed teams in sports such as football and cricket? Why just stop at coaches and managers?
I think because there is a massive product to sell, and it’s currently sky that own it. If people are paying their money to watch the best league in the world with the best players in the world, suddenly diluting the product will see their profits falling. That means the PL will see its share falling. Sky along with the PL control everything, and that’s how they like it. That sort of control is rarely given up.

Money talks… merit walks.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:29 pm
Has Clare Balding always been an excellent presenter?
I don't know, I haven't watched much of her throughout her career.

Are people allowed to get better before they're just written off as shite?
Probably not, but then again Clare Balding also didn’t land the Olympics as one of her first presenting gigs.

Alex Scott needs to learn her trade on something like 5Live first. She’s very much out of her depth at the moment.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 pm
I think mixing genders in some sports and events is actually more harmful to equality. Say sprinting becomes a mixed event, only the 50 fastest sprinters can represent, how many of the 50 do you think would be women?
I couldn't ever see a unisex football side, I think it would be dangerous.

Back to the OP, if a female manager was the best candidate for the job I'd have them.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 pm
The FA didn't ban women's football. They stopped their members from using their grounds for women's football.

'On 5 December 1921 the FA cited strong opinions about football's unsuitability for females. It called on clubs belonging to the associations "to refuse the use of their grounds for such matches".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606

Whilst effectively stopping the women's game I don't see why it couldn't have carried on at grassroots level if there was a determination to do it, or perhaps there were other obstacles that prevented this. The game had grown enormously during the the WW1 years according to the BBC article but there were reasons for this. It seemed the FA decision was part of a bigger social movement to get back to where things were before WW1.