Shareholders' letter

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Re: Shareholders' letter

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:56 pm

I've had an email today regarding shares that have been transferred as part of this. They want a copy of the deceased's will but he's very much alive.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1625 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:05 pm

elbow_noun_002_12193.jpg
elbow_noun_002_12193.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
images (30).jpeg
images (30).jpeg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:56 pm
I've had an email today regarding shares that have been transferred as part of this. They want a copy of the deceased's will but he's very much alive.
There’s a bloke down at my local who could help you with that…

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:17 pm
I didn't include sort code as it wasn't requested but sent my swift code as requested.
I've received an email tonight stating that I omitted my sort code & have until the 25th February to send it in or I will be issued with a cheque...
Me too! Good to see others received the same request. When I first saw the mail on my phone I couldn't see an e-mail address from the sender and half wondered if it was some kind of a scam e-mail.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2943 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:17 pm
I didn't include sort code as it wasn't requested but sent my swift code as requested.
I've received an email tonight stating that I omitted my sort code & have until the 25th February to send it in or I will be issued with a cheque...
Same for me also, sort code was not requested, just the swift code.

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:05 pm
elbow_noun_002_12193.jpgimages (30).jpeg
Nope.

OakworthClaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by OakworthClaret » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:43 am

Dodobdobodobo wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:27 pm
Same with me🤔
Same here. Why request Swift if it’s sort code. I supplied info that was asked for at the time. Wouldn’t be surprised if lots have received the same email. This May account for the delay in sorting thinks out.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:54 am

OakworthClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:43 am
Same here. Why request Swift if it’s sort code. I supplied info that was asked for at the time. Wouldn’t be surprised if lots have received the same email. This May account for the delay in sorting thinks out.
Was scheduled initially to be paid out in December but only now are they querying things.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 753 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:03 am

Do we think everything is on track to get our payouts mid march still? I was hoping to use this money for season tickets, the early bird discount runs out at the end of March. I've got my doubts at the moment
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:54 am
Was scheduled initially to be paid out in December but only now are they querying things.
makes you question what the the real plan was, of course it could be general incompetence we keep hearing about - either way it is not a good look for anyone at VSL/the club which is more or less the same people now- the club being a de-facto subsidiary of VSL now.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:19 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:26 pm
makes you question what the the real plan was, of course it could be general incompetence we keep hearing about - either way it is not a good look for anyone at VSL/the club which is more or less the same people now- the club being a de-facto subsidiary of VSL now.
Hi CP, there's no "de facto" about it. BFC is a subsidiary of VSL.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:06 pm

I put all my paperwork in before the deadline, including copies of Will etc. haven’t had any emails from club despite chasing up by email.
I went into the club a couple of weeks ago and the lady on reception checked and could see that all my paperwork had been noted as being received. So at least I know they have got it all.
It is a bit poor though to have not received any written acknowledgment.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10096 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:38 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:03 am
Do we think everything is on track to get our payouts mid march still? I was hoping to use this money for season tickets, the early bird discount runs out at the end of March. I've got my doubts at the moment
It makes you wonder, doesn't it.
I've bought my season card on monthly payments since that option was introduced.
And because I can't see myself buying £800 worth of goods from the club shop, I too was going to use the money to purchase my season card.
Preferably before the early bird discount runs out.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Claret Till I Die

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm

Regarding the belated request for bank sort code I wonder whether the original plan was for payment to be made from abroad hence the original request for swift codes.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:03 pm

Probably coming out of the Chris Wood transfer profit now. ;)

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:15 pm

the_magic_rat wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm
Regarding the belated request for bank sort code I wonder whether the original plan was for payment to be made from abroad hence the original request for swift codes.
Looking on the bright side, they appear to have a definite, active plan to pay it.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:21 pm

the_magic_rat wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm
My guess is that one of the ALK team has experience of sending payments from US to UK and knows that SWIFT code is required in these situations, but hadn't got previous experience of UK to UK bank payments and so thought SWIFT was required also for these payments.

Calder Vale, a company registered in England, is the entity buying the shares, so I'd expect Calder Vale to be entity making the payments from a UK bank account.

Hope the share sales work out for everyone who's selling.

UTC

HeatonMoorClaret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by HeatonMoorClaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:37 pm

Just had another email from the club saying my Share is in the name of Burnley Athletic and not Holdings ...so another form to complete. They have had my certificate for months .....plus wrote to me in the week for my sort code. Act in order springs to mind.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:40 pm

I bet they have had a lot more paperwork than they expected. Half the people on that list are dead, I reckon, and an awful lot of people (me included) will have discovered that a share or two owned by a deceased parent is suddenly worth filling in the paperwork for.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:15 pm

Pleased to be retaining my share.

HeatonMoorClaret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by HeatonMoorClaret » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Athletic or Holdings 😏

Higham_Claret
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Higham_Claret » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:05 am

I too have now received an email notifying me that I have allegedly supplied the wrong share certificate, citing it is Burnley Football & Athletic Company as opposed to the required Burnley FC Holdings. Should I wish to continue with the sale of my single share, I must complete and return a “lost share certificate” form.

Apart from this being inconvenient, especially so long after the documentation was first provided, it is fundamentally wrong. I haven’t lost a share certificate, I provided the club with the only certificate with which I was provided by it when I took up the option of receiving a share in lieu of £200 circa 2009, if I recall correctly. The detail of the newly provided “lost share” form states that I paid £1 for my single share, which is not correct.

In the bigger scheme of things, these details are probably not significant barriers to completing the sale, but I am being asked by the club to accept - and have formally witnessed - that I have lost a certificate (I haven’t), I supplied the wrong certificate (I supplied the only certificate I was issued) and that I originally paid £1 for my single share (I didn’t; I accepted the share in lieu of £200).

Further, there is every chance now that I won’t receive the share sale proceeds in time to use the resultant credit to fund my season ticket renewal before the ‘early bird’ deadline expires.

The club is not presenting itself in a good light on this matter, in my opinion.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:20 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:40 pm
I bet they have had a lot more paperwork than they expected. Half the people on that list are dead, I reckon, and an awful lot of people (me included) will have discovered that a share or two owned by a deceased parent is suddenly worth filling in the paperwork for.
Think it was around 2013 when they wrote to all Shareholders, to the change over to BFC Holdings. I remember taking my old certificates in and eventually getting new ones.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:05 am
I too have now received an email notifying me that I have allegedly supplied the wrong share certificate, citing it is Burnley Football & Athletic Company as opposed to the required Burnley FC Holdings. Should I wish to continue with the sale of my single share, I must complete and return a “lost share certificate” form.

Apart from this being inconvenient, especially so long after the documentation was first provided, it is fundamentally wrong. I haven’t lost a share certificate, I provided the club with the only certificate with which I was provided by it when I took up the option of receiving a share in lieu of £200 circa 2009, if I recall correctly. The detail of the newly provided “lost share” form states that I paid £1 for my single share, which is not correct.

In the bigger scheme of things, these details are probably not significant barriers to completing the sale, but I am being asked by the club to accept - and have formally witnessed - that I have lost a certificate (I haven’t), I supplied the wrong certificate (I supplied the only certificate I was issued) and that I originally paid £1 for my single share (I didn’t; I accepted the share in lieu of £200).

Further, there is every chance now that I won’t receive the share sale proceeds in time to use the resultant credit to fund my season ticket renewal before the ‘early bird’ deadline expires.

The club is not presenting itself in a good light on this matter, in my opinion.
Hi Higham, a couple of things:

1) Don't worry about the £1 - that will be the nominal value of the share, not what you or anyone else paid for it. Just think if every time someone sold a share a new price had to be put on the share certificate. It would be impossible. Nominal value is permanent, but doesn't represent how much anyone paid for the shares they hold;

2) As Wokingclaret says, in 2013 BFC was re-structured, Athletic became the subsidiary of Holdings. New share certificates were issued to all those who presented their Athletic shares. I can understand some not doing this, maybe not realising that one day their shares might have a value.

Agree, that the administration is taking several weeks. However, the club has to get this right. They can't pay someone who hasn't presented the right certificate for the shares they have offered to buy.

Lost share certificates, or getting mixed up between the original share certificates and new ones following a corporate re-structuring is very common for small shareholders. I'm sure there would be many in this situation from the shares issued by building societies which then went on to merge with/be acquired by larger banks, especially those acquired by Santander, Sabadell and others.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you with deadlines etc.

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:09 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:

Received similar.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:33 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:

Nothing at all unusual about any of this and Paul Waine explains it very well above. This is all pretty common in these scenarios and it’s not possible to pre-empt the multiple differences until the paperwork is in and they know what they are dealing with.

I have reported lost certificates and this morning was sent a request to sign an indemnity which Is precisely what I anticipated would happen.

I don’t see why what you’ve been asked to do will delay things beyond the early bird deadline and even if it did I’d fully expect a compromise could be made for those affected.

Higham_Claret
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Higham_Claret » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:52 pm

I appreciate the constructive replies, thank you.

On the point Paul references about a notional value of an “Ordinary Share”, as I think the provided form describes it, the wording states that I “paid” £1 for it. It is likely that the club is referring to its notional value, but that’s not what it cost me. I acknowledge it’s not a deal-breaker, and the legal process must be managed properly, but the phrasing seems a little careless to me. And given its a legal document, albeit a routine, means-to-an-end form, that gives me some concern about how the process is being administered.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:52 pm

On the point Paul references about a notional value of an “Ordinary Share”, as I think the provided form describes it, the wording states that I “paid” £1 for it. It is likely that the club is referring to its notional value, but that’s not what it cost me. I acknowledge it’s not a deal-breaker, and the legal process must be managed properly, but the phrasing seems a little careless to me. And given its a legal document, albeit a routine, means-to-an-end form, that gives me some concern about how the process is being administered.
They are £1 shares. How much they sell for isn’t relevant.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:59 pm
They are £1 shares. How much they sell for isn’t relevant.
unless it affects personal tax on capital gains

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:54 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:52 pm

You're shooting at the wrong moon with that one. The limited liability act of 18xx, whenever it was, decreed that the price put on the share certificate is the nominal value of the share, and if it says "paid" it means that the share is fully paid and the shareholders can't be tapped up for more if the company goes bust. The nominal value does not include any share premium paid to the company or any price in excess of nominal value paid to a third party. Burnley FC can't make a unilateral decision to do it differently.

As far as the certificates go, they were sent out automatically. I'm sure they weren't sent out just on request, because I wouldn't have requested my late father's shares to be still in his name. I would have done the paperwork then. If you didn't get yours, it's possibly because you have moved house since the shares were first put into your name?

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:42 pm

Can anyone sign as a witness on these lost share certificates?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6915 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:27 pm

Any sign of the cash yet ?

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10096 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:46 pm

Higham_Claret wrote:

As far as I can remember, the share I sent in is the one I received in lieu of £200 in 2009 but I don't recall being asked to exchange it to a Burnley FC Holdings.
However, as I've stated further up this page, I received an email from the club a few weeks ago saying I hadn't filled in any of the forms properly (I had, and delivered them personally to reception on Brunshaw road).
I re-printed and filled in every form again and then yet again, delivered them personally.
I asked for a receipt and immediately copied and emailed back to the club.
Within minutes I received a reply back stating they now had everything required from me.
So I can only assume my 'original' certificate is kosher.

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:45 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:27 pm
Any sign of the cash yet ?
Nope.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Just noticed that the deadline for the lost share certificate was yesterday. Does this mean I’ve missed out? They only sent me the email on Friday, not much time to get it sent in.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6915 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:09 pm

Getting farcical this now, how many deadlines will there be, I thought the money was due paying now.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:14 pm

Foulthrow wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:01 pm
Just noticed that the deadline for the lost share certificate was yesterday. Does this mean I’ve missed out? They only sent me the email on Friday, not much time to get it sent in.
It seems to be a very short and arbitrary date when they have had months to sort out this (inevitable) lost certificate issue!
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:14 pm

Foulthrow wrote:
Wouldn’t think so, it’s a date they applied and I don’t think it was a “deadline” as such. They will be applying dates to requests so as to try and get it done and dusted ASAP.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:52 am

Foulthrow wrote:
I had to deal with a similar situation and was only able to get the form signed and witnessed on Tuesday night. I hand delivered it yesterday but was told at reception that I'd missed the cut off date. I did pass it to the Fan Engagement Manager and she said it was OK. But 1st March was clearly a deadline and it didn't give people much time. I received the email on Friday evening.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:52 am
I had to deal with a similar situation and was only able to get the form signed and witnessed on Tuesday night. I hand delivered it yesterday but was told at reception that I'd missed the cut off date. I did pass it to the Fan Engagement Manager and she said it was OK. But 1st March was clearly a deadline and it didn't give people much time. I received the email on Friday evening.
I’d argue that it wasn’t clearly a “deadline” at all.

Your email may have been different but mine said “We kindly ask……by Tuesday 1st March”.

If it was a defined cut off point it would need to be detailed much more clearly than that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:39 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 pm
I’d argue that it wasn’t clearly a “deadline” at all.

Your email may have been different but mine said “We kindly ask……by Tuesday 1st March”.

If it was a defined cut off point it would need to be detailed much more clearly than that.
I received the same email but when I took mine in yesterday, by hand, I was told the cut off date had been the previous day. Fortunately, I was able to speak to someone on another matter who was able to deal with this for me as well.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:03 pm

I hadn't seen the deadline date and only submitted mine today.
Is that going to be an issue?

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:38 pm

Shouldn’t be, they’ve made an exception for Tony so you should be fine.

longhair
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 231 times

Post by longhair » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:17 am

Has anybody logged on to season ticket renewal look up history.Shareholder gold card listed dated 21/2/22 is this what we have been waiting for ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:30 am

longhair wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:17 am
Has anybody logged on to season ticket renewal look up history.Shareholder gold card listed dated 21/2/22 is this what we have been waiting for ?
Nothing on mine but the points awarded would go on your TeamCard wouldn't they? That's not part of the ticketing system.

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:41 am

It's appeared on mine but with no value attached to it yet.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:05 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:41 am
It's appeared on mine but with no value attached to it yet.
Where have you found it?

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:07 am

Purchase history.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:11 am

On mine as well

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:22 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:07 am
Purchase history.
not on mine - just checked purchase history and last two entries are tickets for Brentford and Arsenal.

I was told last week that things are getting close to completion.