Vydra

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Re: Vydra

Post by RMutt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm
It's strange, I can't find a stat for big chances created by team. The PL site has a big chances created by player stat and when filtered by Bunley players the total is 18, so it looks like we've scored just 3 from 18.

That seemed really low so I had a look at Arsenal (just because they're first alphabetically) and according to the PL stats their players have created 12 big chances between them but Arsenal have missed 15, so something isn't right.
I suppose you could just look at the missed chances against goals scored.

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:03 pm

Liverpool have scored 43 and missed 27, so that’s 70 chances. We’ve scored 14 and missed 15, so 31 chances. It means we’ve missed over half our chances.
In the past we have had very good scoring rates for chances created. Often we would beat teams who made many more opportunities than us in a game.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm

RMutt wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:03 pm
Liverpool have scored 43 and missed 27, so that’s 70 chances. We’ve scored 14 and missed 15, so 31 chances. It means we’ve missed over half our chances.
In the past we have had very good scoring rates for chances created. Often we would beat teams who made many more opportunities than us in a game.
That's not right. Do you think goals are only scored from big chances?

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm

I always think Vydra plays best in partnership with Jay. I'm a Chris Wood fan, his record for us is superb, but maybe it is time to drop him and give both Vydra and Jay a run in the team, especially if Cornet is out for a while. It worked at Chelsea, we looked excellent when they both came on.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Sleeping Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm
I always think Vydra plays best in partnership with Jay. I'm a Chris Wood fan, his record for us is superb, but maybe it is time to drop him and give both Vydra and Jay a run in the team, especially if Cornet is out for a while. It worked at Chelsea, we looked excellent when they both came on.
Part of the problem for me is that I'm not sure any of our Strikers compliment each other. Barnes used to be an excellent target man but seems to have steadily declined over the last couple of seasons. Wood is a typical goal scorer but offers little else. Vydra (at this level) is a non scoring striker with decent movement and Rodriguez is a kind of Hybrid target man who is decent on the deck (but again who seems to have declined).

Our lack of a decent target man to partner Wood or Vydra with makes us far less effective in my opinion.

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
No, I appreciate there will be all kinds of goals scored, from flukes to goal of the season material. That’s the same for all teams though. I appreciate the method is a bit crude but given there doesn’t seem to be a big chances made stat. (I wonder how they work out what constitutes a big chance?) I’m just looking for the closest comparison I can find.

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:48 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Haha, it’s not right because it’s 29 chances for us not 31. Sorry. Shows no one is paying attention.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Vydra has more overall skill and technique than our other strikers (bar Cornet) and possesses a good touch with a bit of pace. I'll admit that his finishing is hit and miss and maybe behind most of the others.
To expect a hit and miss finisher to put the ball in the back of the net from one chance a week in a 10minute spell is asking a lot. Personally, I'm at the stage where I would bench Wood. Without scoring, he contributes nothing.
Give Wood the ten minute cameo's where as a better finisher he might be able to put the final chance in the net and then when he gets a goal or two let's put him back in.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 348 times
Has Liked: 332 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:12 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm
Vydra has more overall skill and technique than our other strikers (bar Cornet) and possesses a good touch with a bit of pace. I'll admit that his finishing is hit and miss and maybe behind most of the others.
To expect a hit and miss finisher to put the ball in the back of the net from one chance a week in a 10minute spell is asking a lot. Personally, I'm at the stage where I would bench Wood. Without scoring, he contributes nothing.
Give Wood the ten minute cameo's where as a better finisher he might be able to put the final chance in the net and then when he gets a goal or two let's put him back in.
Good shout about lack of minutes and pressure on one chance for Vydra, how about just use him as a No.10 (his favourite and most successful position) and it relieves the pressure on him to score immediately after coming off the bench for the miniscule amount of time he is usually given. Frees him up to supply the ammo to Wood who cant control a ball for toffee but can finish like a beast, im absolutely amazed this has not been tried at least once in what is it, 3 years?!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:59 pm

we'll need him in the championship should we drop

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:23 am
Not good enough for the top flight. Could do with his services next season though if/when we get relegated
He has pace, good movement and gets in good positions but is not a good finisher and that will apply whether its Premier League or Championship.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:06 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm
He has pace, good movement and gets in good positions but is not a good finisher and that will apply whether its Premier League or Championship.
Not sure that’s a fair assessment given Dyche’s resistance to select Vydra for so long

I say give the fella an even chance to prove himself and only then make a judgment.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Big difference between PL and championship.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Couple of way off the mark notions here. Firstly that Vydra only ever gets a minuscule amount of minutes from the bench; just not true.

Secondly the suggestion that Wood offers nothing but goals. I’d hazard a guess that if you asked Dyche which of our strikers offers the most other than goalscoring, he would answer Wood. Wood presses from the front, runs the channels, holds up and links play, makes runs behind the back line and is an asset when we defend free kicks. He is comfortably the best of our strikers at making the most of the long balls that we play so often.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Vydra doesn’t score enough. However when starting Vydra’s movement is a constant niggle to defenders and creates space for other players to operate. I was really looking forward to the space that we would create with Vydra and Cornet pulling the opposition all over the park and giving other players more space to play in and Dwight less focus for opposition tactics…

Still think it is our best attacking option, hopefully Cornet will return soon; I believe Wood would then be like a kid in a sweet shop.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:50 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm
In his defence, we’ve given him few opportunities to start, we certainly don’t play to his strengths with this long ball. He’s never really had another ball to feet player of quality along side of him. Dyche doesn’t appear to trust him. In regard to the miss at Newcastle it wasn’t straight forward, the ball wouldn’t come down quick enough and he was closed down quickly which resulted in a stretched snap shot. I still think in a team that moves the ball quicker on the deck we’d see him at his best. I get the feeling he’s not wanted - trusted by Dyche.
The ball came down and he chested, it bounced and he hit it after it bounced. As the commentators said, he should have hit it earlier on the half volley. Ash would have (well when he was playing well).

Vydra's movement is good, his touch is pretty good but he needs too long to square up the shot which is probably why he did well in the Champ but struggles more at this level.

He's decent but not a finisher and never has been at this level

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm

He definitely seems to have regressed and looks less of a threat these days but it’s hard to blame him with how sparingly he has been used. He seems to work better with Jay but Wood is often our only goal threat, when he doesn’t score, we don’t seem to get much at all.

He will leave on a free in summer which would be a shame if we go down as he would easy bag 20-25 goals. File next to Brady and Hendrick as players we paid a lot for, and left for free.

Barnes and Jay are just woefully inadequate at this level for me, as much as I love them both. Jay should never have been signed, totally emotive decision to appease fans and a massive waste of money.

Hard to justify playing 2 up front at the moment as we seem to be carrying both of them, whoever they are.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:49 pm

How many has he scored?

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 am

JR1882 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm
He definitely seems to have regressed and looks less of a threat these days but it’s hard to blame him with how sparingly he has been used. He seems to work better with Jay but Wood is often our only goal threat, when he doesn’t score, we don’t seem to get much at all.

He will leave on a free in summer which would be a shame if we go down as he would easy bag 20-25 goals. File next to Brady and Hendrick as players we paid a lot for, and left for free.

Barnes and Jay are just woefully inadequate at this level for me, as much as I love them both. Jay should never have been signed, totally emotive decision to appease fans and a massive waste of money.

Hard to justify playing 2 up front at the moment as we seem to be carrying both of them, whoever they are.
Vydra and wood were class together last season. With a run of games I think they get the best out of each other.