RIP Jack Markham - Walton High

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HollandsPies
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 107 times

RIP Jack Markham - Walton High

Post by HollandsPies » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:27 pm

Was alerted to this last night.
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/peo ... er-3542187

My favourite teacher at Walton. Was gutted when he retired and I couldn't have him in the fifth year (Yr11 for you young ones).
An inspirational teacher who ignited my interest in all things practical - particularly woodwork - even to this day.

The one lesson I never messed about in.

RIP Jack Rant
This user liked this post: Quicknick

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Re: RIP Jack Markham - Walton High

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Lewis (Lou) Birchall, Head of P.E. at Walton High, also passed away last week. RIP Lou.

ALP
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 388 times

Post by ALP » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm

Blimey, Jack (Rant) as we called him, he was a really good teacher and when you got him talking he could rant on for a double lesson with ease.

Rest in Peace Jack, knowing that you played a significant part in the lives of your many students.

Sad to read of Mr Birchall passing, another remarkable teacher, who if I am not mistaken moved to Walton High from Walverden; he was one of the very best alongside Mr Watson (God Bless Him) and Mr Connelly (God Bless Him).

I count my blessings to have had these guys as teachers, I am certainly a better person for their input.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Ah them were the days Hollands!!

Jack Rant!!!! Who did you end up with instead

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 pm

Loved doing woodwork, Babylon.
Ended up with a young teacher called Mr. Taylor (who ended up at Clitheroe Grammar). Taylor used to bike it in on a Yamaha TY 80 and get rinsed mercilessly for it. Wasn't a Burnley fan either.

Jack Rant: 'Gather round my bench second form ...', 'at all times keep both hands behind the cutting edge' was a permanent feature a the top of his blackboard.
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:45 pm

ALP wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm
Blimey, Jack (Rant) as we called him, he was a really good teacher and when you got him talking he could rant on for a double lesson with ease.

Rest in Peace Jack, knowing that you played a significant part in the lives of your many students.

Sad to read of Mr Birchall passing, another remarkable teacher, who if I am not mistaken moved to Walton High from Walverden; he was one of the very best alongside Mr Watson (God Bless Him) and Mr Connelly (God Bless Him).

I count my blessings to have had these guys as teachers, I am certainly a better person for their input.
Didn’t know these teachers but heard my sister Joyce Wellock, talk about Lou. She also switched from Walverden to Walton and taught PE. Sadly she died a year ago this week

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:11 pm

Remember all of these teachers. I read about Mr Markham this morning but didn't know Lewis Birchall had passed away. I was only talking to him on FB just before Christmas. He was my PE teacher for the last 2 years at Walton and allowed a group of us to play football every week, leading to some cracking games.

You always remember a great teacher and as mentioned elsewhere, Watson, Connelly, Markham and Birchall were just that. Great teachers and really great people outside the school environment. RIP to you all, especially Mr Birchall.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:21 pm

Had learnt of Jack's death earlier today. 95 I believe.
Being of a slightly older generation we always referred to him (affectionately) as "Rambling Jack".
I have only just learnt on here of the passing of Lou Birchall. I rated him very highly as a teacher and as a person. Over the past 50 years I would frequently bump into him at various events, (sporting, musical and artistic), and in Booths, and we always had a really good chat. He always took a great interest in what I was doing, what my family were doing, and what other pupils from my year group were doing.
Two great personalities and teachers. I was very lucky to be taught by them both, even though my woodworking skills remain embarrassingly limited!
(Mind you, I haven't lost any fingers yet due to his sound advice!)
RIP Lou and Jack.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:21 pm
Had learnt of Jack's death earlier today. 95 I believe.
Being of a slightly older generation we always referred to him (affectionately) as "Rambling Jack".
I have only just learnt on here of the passing of Lou Birchall. I rated him very highly as a teacher and as a person. Over the past 50 years I would frequently bump into him at various events, (sporting, musical and artistic), and in Booths, and we always had a really good chat. He always took a great interest in what I was doing, what my family were doing, and what other pupils from my year group were doing.
Two great personalities and teachers. I was very lucky to be taught by them both, even though my woodworking skills remain embarrassingly limited!
(Mind you, I haven't lost any fingers yet due to his sound advice!)
RIP Lou and Jack.
Just checked, it was 21 December when I spoke to Lou last, he had been out for dinner to celebrate turning 80. He said his health wasn't great but was looking forward to Christmas. Really has hit me hard learning he has passed away, he was a great teacher and a brilliant bloke and it was a privilege to be taught by him.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 pm
Just checked, it was 21 December when I spoke to Lou last, he had been out for dinner to celebrate turning 80. He said his health wasn't great but was looking forward to Christmas. Really has hit me hard learning he has passed away, he was a great teacher and a brilliant bloke and it was a privilege to be taught by him.
Thanks for that brief update.
I echo everything that you say there.
Sadly I hadn't seen him since just before the lockdown, and like you I am very shocked to read this on here.
Just 80, we have been robbed of many years continued friendship there.

ALP

Post by ALP » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm

longsidetrumpet wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:45 pm
Didn’t know these teachers but heard my sister Joyce Wellock, talk about Lou. She also switched from Walverden to Walton and taught PE. Sadly she died a year ago this week
I remember Joyce, as does my Wife; she always had a smile and I was bullied a bit for the first year or two, I remember her keeping a watch over me. God bless her.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4098 times
Has Liked: 6573 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:28 pm

HollandsPies wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 pm
Loved doing woodwork, Babylon.
Ended up with a young teacher called Mr. Taylor (who ended up at Clitheroe Grammar). Taylor used to bike it in on a Yamaha TY 80 and get rinsed mercilessly for it. Wasn't a Burnley fan either.

Jack Rant: 'Gather round my bench second form ...', 'at all times keep both hands behind the cutting edge' was a permanent feature a the top of his blackboard.
I remember Mr Taylor. Did woodwork with him, enjoyed his classes. Remember his bike too. One of the girls in my class fancied him rotten.

Also remember mr Birchall, he was sound and it’s sad to hear of his passing.

Mr Grimshaw has also sadly passed, he taught me maths or at least he tried to.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:44 pm

Sad news all round really.
Mr. Birchall not only took us for PE but English too. He must have filled in where there were gaps in the timetable. Fond memories of him.
Mr Grimshaw was my Form Tutor for 2 years until 5th year, then I got Mrs. Cunningham. He tried to teach me CSE maths too and I felt I let him down by only getting a Grade 2.

In the fifth year you could take out 2 teachers for dinner at the Catering College in Nelson. Mr Grimshaw was one of them, Cunningham the other cos she was fit.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:50 pm

Very sad Hollands... I remember Mrs Cunningham, although she never taught me. I seem to remember Miss Wright (RE) teacher being one of the very few I behaved for...

Chunky too, but for an entirely different reason.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Chunky lol.
Teachers were different in those days.
Chemistry teacher called Matthews got drunk on a Friday lunch and threw up.
Mr Markham was an old school woodwork teacher: brown lab coat with leather elbow pads. Packet of Silk Cut in his breast pocket and a fag behind his ear during lessons. Pencil on the other ear sharpened by a bevel edged chisel.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm

Yep. Remember all that Hollands!!

Mr Matthews - he used to drive beat up audi (before they suddenly ly became posh posh cars)

Chesterthedog
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Chesterthedog » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am

Lew Birchall began his teaching career at Burnley Grammar School and moved to Nelson Grammar School (Walton High) in January 1967. I was in my first year as a pupil then, but eventually became a close friend and colleague of his when I started teaching at the school in 1976. I can honestly say he was a wonderful man, someone who was always positive and cheerful in everything he did, someone who touched many people’s lives and will be sorely missed. RIP Lewis.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:45 am

HollandsPies wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm
Chunky lol.
Teachers were different in those days.
Chemistry teacher called Matthews got drunk on a Friday lunch and threw up.
Mr Markham was an old school woodwork teacher: brown lab coat with leather elbow pads. Packet of Silk Cut in his breast pocket and a fag behind his ear during lessons. Pencil on the other ear sharpened by a bevel edged chisel.
Matthews was from Bolton and i remember in a school magazine they put a phrase in and you had to guess the teacher. Urr thurrr with furr hurr just had to be Mr Matthews. I think a trip down to the Hour Glass was a regular lunchtime occurrence for a number of teachers given the smell of stale alcohol in an afternoon. Didn't Grimshaw smash his car up when he had been drinking and his wife who was also a teacher at WHS went through the windscreen? Remember Mr Taylor, very popular with the girls and another very good teacher. He got married in my last year at WHS and a group of us turned up outside St Matthews church to wish him well.

troubleatmexico
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by troubleatmexico » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am

As a Fisher-More alumni, I'm sorry to hear about the loss although it's great to read about your memories. Friday liquid lunch was in the Brass Knacker for FM teachers I recall.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 pm

Chesterthedog wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am
Lew Birchall began his teaching career at Burnley Grammar School and moved to Nelson Grammar School (Walton High) in January 1967. I was in my first year as a pupil then, but eventually became a close friend and colleague of his when I started teaching at the school in 1976. I can honestly say he was a wonderful man, someone who was always positive and cheerful in everything he did, someone who touched many people’s lives and will be sorely missed. RIP Lewis.
Good God, you're not Mr. Powell are you? :o

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:10 pm

I remember Mr Birchall at Burnley Grammar. Tho other PE teacher was Ron Parry. They were like chalk and cheese. Ron Parry (nicknamed the General ) was a real disciplinarian, whereas Mr Birchall was more easy going. I hated PE but it was almost bearable with Mr Birchall

rishtonclaret
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by rishtonclaret » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:48 pm

I remember Mr Markham exactly as described above, RIP. Mr Birchall RIP, was Leon Birchall not Lewis unless I'm mistaken. Great guy we used to called him Birty. Remember Mr Connolly and Mr Williams was the Head master - proper old school and everyone was terrified of him. Mr Birchall lived on Keighley Road in Colne. Mr Taylor took our school football team for a year, then the following year Chunky Wilkinson, history teacher took over. He used to have us in stitches in class. True story - Mr Matthews ran me over in his maroon Audi 80 at lunch outside the school. I was 13 so it would have been 1983 or 84. And Miss Diggins was an RE teacher - she was still teaching at St Christopher's a few years ago.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 pm

HollandsPies wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 pm
Good God, you're not Mr. Powell are you? :o
Note that's a name from the past. PE teacher in my first couple of years. I was trying to work out who it could be and Powell is a good shout. Worked out to be 12 years older than me so would have been 23 when I started in 1979, so one of the younger teachers. Assuming the poster is male of course...

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:04 pm

You ARE mistaken Rishton... definitely Lewis.

Mr Connolly was deputy head, a nice fella from memory, and Mr Williams (Potter) was the head. Strict, but fair. Only caned me once...only needed the once.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Herts: could've been Powell or Dart. Mr Powell had an issue with us all conquering Burnley and Pendle football team. Mr. Birchall took over and it was in the days we played Saturday mornings. How any teachers would do that nowadays? Got a photo of the team from the Nelson Leader somewhere. As well as me there are a couple who post on here.

Bobhino, who hasn't had six of the best from Potter? I have and I was mates with his son ffs!!
This user liked this post: bobinho

Guitargeorge
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Guitargeorge » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 pm

None of these teachers were teaching at NGS when I was there apart from Jack Markham. His “gather round the front bench” plea usually followed one of the class narrowly missing maiming himself. As already said, he was a top guy and had to show a lot of patience with our lot. I wonder if anyone ever finished my stool off?

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:25 pm

HollandsPies wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:33 pm
Herts: could've been Powell or Dart. Mr Powell had an issue with us all conquering Burnley and Pendle football team. Mr. Birchall took over and it was in the days we played Saturday mornings. How any teachers would do that nowadays? Got a photo of the team from the Nelson Leader somewhere. As well as me there are a couple who post on here.

Bobhino, who hasn't had six of the best from Potter? I have and I was mates with his son ffs!!
Mr Dart. Remember a cricket match and he was square leg umpire. Ball hit towards the boundary, fielded by Simon Bailey who throws it back towards the keeper. Now his arm was exceeded by his ambition and it was short. Straight onto the back of Mr Dart's head. Blood everywhere and a trip to A&E for the diminutive teacher come umpire and game over for the rest of us.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:59 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:45 am
Matthews was from Bolton and i remember in a school magazine they put a phrase in and you had to guess the teacher. Urr thurrr with furr hurr just had to be Mr Matthews. I think a trip down to the Hour Glass was a regular lunchtime occurrence for a number of teachers given the smell of stale alcohol in an afternoon. Didn't Grimshaw smash his car up when he had been drinking and his wife who was also a teacher at WHS went through the windscreen? Remember Mr Taylor, very popular with the girls and another very good teacher. He got married in my last year at WHS and a group of us turned up outside St Matthews church to wish him well.
I remember that I think it was either the first or second edition of "The Walton Eye"

Can't remember what year it was but I think Hollands and me would be 3rd years probably (so 79 or 80 maybe)

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:03 pm

HollandsPies wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Hahahaha. Yeah! I managed to avoid that although he once made me sing the cornetto song at lunch after he caught me singing it down one of the corridors between lessons!!!!

Laughing like a drain at the tale from Herts there about Mr Dart.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:26 pm

FB_IMG_1601630228701.jpg
FB_IMG_1601630228701.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Ex pupils of WHS may recognise a few faces on here including Mr Markham and Lew Birchall amongst others.

Chesterthedog

Post by Chesterthedog » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 am

Yes I’m on there. Wonderful staff pic.

Chesterthedog

Post by Chesterthedog » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:11 am

Great memories. Quite a few on there not here anymore.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:41 am

Any information about the funeral of Lewis Birchall please.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:24 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:41 am
Any information about the funeral of Lewis Birchall please.
10 Feb Sacred Heart Church Colne at 11am.

ALP

Post by ALP » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:46 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:26 pm
FB_IMG_1601630228701.jpgEx pupils of WHS may recognise a few faces on here including Mr Markham and Lew Birchall amongst others.
That is a cracking picture. I’m going through trying to name em all at the moment. Stan Stone another great man, Chocolate E Clare, became a good friend when I worked at Kitchens, Ged Ivers one great teacher and another who I classed as a friend, lost touch with him unfortunately a few years back. Mr Gaught, firm but fair, David Venn, lives near me and as been Ill recently, always the one who caught me smoking too!

I’ll get back to this on the Mac later as it’s doing my eyes in, but heck it’s a brill picture.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:06 am

I still have a wooden boat that I made in Mr Markham's woodwork class in my first year at Walton, it sits pride of place on the window sill in the bathroom.
Mr Birchall was a great teacher too. He really got me into cricket.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:48 am

My memory (and eyes) not what it was but isn’t that Mr Birchall 2nd left back row with mr Matthews next to him? Obviously Potter and Mr Connolly front and centre.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Think you are right there bobhino.
The 3 in front are Wolfenden, Haq and Bland

Can you spot Frau Sauer?

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Stella Kelsall. Miss Ridiough. Mrs Hartley. Mr Simpson. Dennett. Bell. The blonde teacher in the middle is the sister of a poster. Can't remember her name as she never taught me but passed away last year.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Fraud Sauer looks like on the back row next to Mr Taylor one on from Mr Matthews (I think?)

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:30 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 pm
Stella Kelsall. Miss Ridiough. Mrs Hartley. Mr Simpson. Dennett. Bell. The blonde teacher in the middle is the sister of a poster. Can't remember her name as she never taught me but passed away last year.
Joyce Wellock is the blond haired teacher in the middle.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:34 pm

Mr Sayle. Mrs Box.

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:43 pm

Mr Powell and Mr Kilburn back row

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:45 pm

Second on the left from Mrs. Wellock. Used to fancy her. Not second on the right!

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:09 pm

HollandsPies wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:45 pm
Second on the left from Mrs. Wellock. Used to fancy her. Not second on the right!
Mrs Howarth?

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:24 pm

Yeah, that's her.

Chesterthedog

Post by Chesterthedog » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Just one I can’t remember her name. Opened the chippy in Kelbrook. Messrs Chapman and Grimshaw were missing that day, on the Pennine Way. I’ll write them down later...

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:45 pm

If Mr Grimshaw was away, then who is that leaning against the wall next to Mr Iven?

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:59 pm

Don't think it's Mr Grimshaw Hollands. Deffo Mr Dennet (taddies Liddle tadpoles) on Mr Ivers' right though.

Oh. Is it Mr Simpson?

Miss Smith 9n the front too

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:08 pm

Chesterthedog wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:30 pm
Just one I can’t remember her name. Opened the chippy in Kelbrook. Messrs Chapman and Grimshaw were missing that day, on the Pennine Way. I’ll write them down later...
FB_IMG_1643479603686.jpg
FB_IMG_1643479603686.jpg (66.94 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Do you appear in this line up Chesterthedog?