Russia Invades

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Russia Invades

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am

Lots of footage this morning of the Ukrainians using drones to target Russian armoured columns with incredibly accurate artillery fire.

Russians not making any headway at all in the north.

One account given by a foreign fighter is the Russian infantry have no will to fight, and just expect to use their artillery to flatten areas before walking in unopposed, which I suppose is standard Russian doctrine.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:11 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am
Lots of footage this morning of the Ukrainians using drones to target Russian armoured columns with incredibly accurate artillery fire.

Russians not making any headway at all in the north.

One account given by a foreign fighter is the Russian infantry have no will to fight, and just expect to use their artillery to flatten areas before walking in unopposed, which I suppose is standard Russian doctrine.
You need motivated troops to take cities, you can level them as much as you like but the people defending their homes and land just use them for even more cover

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:13 am

Russian Foreign minister in Turkey for a meeting. He is holding press conference where Russia cannot control what the press ask. Bet this is not being shown on RT.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:18 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:11 am
You need motivated troops to take cities, you can level them as much as you like but the people defending their homes and land just use them for even more cover
Mariupol being the prime example, most analysts agreed it would fall within a day. The amount of troops and unplanned resources it must be taking up must be vast.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:20 am

Footage from Brovarsky region north of Kyiv of Russian armoured columns being hit is astonishing.

The level of incompetence is staggering.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am

Without sounding defeatist, the more I read, the more I learn - I see no way this doesn't end in World War.

I am so ambivalent about anything but my family right now. Seeing Chelsea fans kicking and screaming on social media that their repugnant owner has been sanctioned isn't even giving me joy. Everything in the world just feels so irrelevant now, such is the clear existential threat hanging over us all.

Never felt so worried, frankly.
These 3 users liked this post: Hibsclaret Colburn_Claret Indecisive

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:22 am

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am
Without sounding defeatist, the more I read, the more I learn - I see no way this doesn't end in World War.

I am so ambivalent about anything but my family right now. Seeing Chelsea fans kicking and screaming on social media that their repugnant owner has been sanctioned isn't even giving me joy. Everything in the world just feels so irrelevant now, such is the clear existential threat hanging over us all.

Couldn’t agree more.

HitchinClaret
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by HitchinClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:26 am

I've seen the Russia convoy on Eastern side of the city got demolished (the entire 6th regiment?) I think a lot of the Russian tactics are taken directly from Leeroy Jenkins.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:27 am

jedi_master wrote:

Thing is, this is all on Russia

If the West did not react now, then it would try the same in a years time with another country in Europe

I share your concerns, but with the huge caveat that there are lines that you have to have, and you cannot allow a country to do what it wants

And Russia is in no condition to fight a world war

The talks today will hopefully get an idea what is acceptable to both sides, and the key is to finding something that Putin can sell to his people as a "win" but that also is very clear to Ukraine and the West is a huge defeat, and that is going to be difficult but not impossible
These 3 users liked this post: LeadBelly Colburn_Claret Hipper

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:34 am

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:36 am

jedi_master wrote:

NATO and the US are trying very hard not to cross the line that causes that.

Whilst I am also concerned, Putin knows there are so many Submarines out at sea with all the nukes that would hit his capitol Moscow. He would have to be insane to cause that.

In a conventional war, Russian troops would be driven out of Ukraine in two to three days if NATO involved.

I would put the risk at 30% currently.
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:37 am

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1501816766405746689

If the Ukrainian artillery is an accurate and as good against MBTs as this video shows, then Russia is in a whole heap of trouble

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am

What on earth?

One thing this shows abundantly clear is that any tactical lessons on the power of Ukrainian drones/missiles and artillery are not being learnt

If its because they don't want to acknowledge it and its not allowed to be discussed at a higher level, then they have lost.

I mean, not just lost, they are going to lose really badly

I still gobsmacked by their complete lack of any attempt at dispersal tbh

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:43 am

jedi_master wrote:

I felt this way initially but every passing day I think the opposite:

They are mightily struggling in Ukraine and have kind of shown themselves to the world to basically be full of ****… I don’t think anyone is seriously worried about their military in terms of being able to retake multiple countries - they’ve shown themselves to be uncoordinated, incompetent & lacking modern equipment….

All they have as always is the numbers game but conscript soldiers are never as motivated as pros and even then - it’s not 1943 anymore, they’re still a bit controlled by their state but they aren’t anywhere near as brainwashed as they were when the USSR was in full flow.

Not to mention the staggering sanctions put on them - I don’t think they would have the capacity to rebuild and repatch their army.

The only concern of course is the nuclear threat - but I gained some reassurance in that it’s not as simple as one mad dictator (Putin) simply pushing a button and that being it; there’s a chain of command and from what I’ve seen/heard/read, I don’t think such a command would be executed.
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 am

Lavrov being asked if he's planning to invade other countries

Answer

"We didn't invade Ukraine in the first place"

Not sure thats a good start to the "lets hope these peace talks work"
This user liked this post: bobinho

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:54 am

So the Ukrainians are using pregnant women as human shields now. These sort of comments from Lavrov show that people close to Putin are joining him on his journey to insanity.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:57 am

Russias main requests for peace.

Demilitarisation of Ukraine.

De Nazification of Ukraine.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:59 am

Whilst there has been much talk about blocking social media and TV by the Russians what is the situation regarding good old fashioned radio? Anyone aware if radio is blocked and how easy/hard is it to do so

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:00 am

claret2018 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:50 am
I think we’ll see some sort of high-level military coup take out Putin very soon, the Russian high-command can’t be happy with these continued losses.
What I will say is that RT and all the various Russian channels are showing stuff that is 100% in favour of Russian success, pics of captured Ukrainian stuff and Russian troops in Ukraine. Nothing negative. Not a thing. No Russian losses of anything, and claims of Ukrainian losses that are fanciful (TB-2 drone losses claims are more than Ukraine actually have for example)

Its looking increasingly like the Russians are hiding information that the army needs as well, and if that is the case (I'm only guessing the last part, but the complete lack of learning from their mistakes seems fairly evident) then I just don't know how someone or somebodies takes that sort of risk

It does remind of the Arab newspaper coverage of the Six Day War of 1967 v Israel, in which it was five days of driving on Jerusalem and then on the sixth day, they announced that they had lost.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 am

So two different Russian spokespersons giving two different accounts of the hospital attack.

One says the hospital photos are faked and the other says they advised 3 days ago that the hospital would be attacked because it was being used by the Ukrainian forces as a base. So which is it you set of lying to55ers

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 am

Hibsclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 am
So two different Russian spokespersons giving two different accounts of the hospital attack.

One says the hospital photos are faked and the other says they advised 3 days ago that the hospital would be attacked because it was being used by the Ukrainian forces as a base. So which is it you set of lying to55ers
While I wouldn’t trust the Russians as far as I could throw them ,they’re the absolute aggressors here .It has to be said that UKR are using every ounce of propaganda ( and so they should ) inc every awful “ war cliche “ with schools & hospitals being the obvious emotional trigger point . Using hospitals , schools, even nurseries as bases, command posts etc is a painful and horrible reality of modern warfare .

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:25 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:15 am
Hi Jedi, without meaning to be patronising (not at all my intention). While of course things are bad right now, bloody awful even; it will remind older posters of the Cold War - when for thirty years we got to learn to live with the threat of imminent Nuclear War. Have we really got as close to Nuclear War ever? Well yes, and much closer, and more than once.

For thirty years every day was much like this, it swung occasionally between China and Russia but there was always a fight somewhere in the world and within that period there is historical record of at least three occasions senior commanders on all sides gave orders to fire - for a time America looked very seriously at flattening Mao’s fledgling Chinese Revolution in the late 40’s-early 50’s - The most famous - the Cuban Missile crisis where a Russian sub refused to fire, despite believing his sub was under attack - and being out of radio contact, the sub commander was restrained (in effect a mutiny) because he was determined to get a retaliation in before they were sunk (in reality they were small depth charge signals, but no one had thought to tell the Soviets of the American tactic). The Suez Crisis was Britains big test, along for the immortalised “Hunt for Red October”, another.

The fact is Putin is vindictive enough to order Nuclear War - but history ( and our own intel) tells us when it comes to Nuclear War very few people are actually ready to countenance wiping out the known world… and Russia needs four people in separate remote locations to agree. There is a reason the West is so relaxed, about it.
Not patronising at all Elwa, I appreciate the post.

I think age definitely helps, I’ve never known anything like this myself (I am 35) and war has always felt such a distant spectre even when ongoing in foreign lands in my own lifetime. It might sound selfish (and, really, it is) but it’s the fear of it hitting us here and everything that could entail is really messing me up.

I think I really need to pull myself away from the constant refreshing cycle of Twitter, the BBC News app and this thread that I’ve been doing whilst working from home. That’s not a criticism of these sources of information, I hasten to add, it’s just playing havoc with my anxiety. I have only once struggled with my mental health, and it was at the outset of Covid when we didn’t really know how bad or not it was. I feel the same pangs of worry in me now that I did then, but at a much higher level. Back then I was doing the same, just absorbing endless amounts of harrowing information and fearing the worst about things I had absolutely no power to influence.

This isn’t a cry for help, just expressing how the news impacts on some people. Head in the sand approach is what I know would suit me better, but I’m too interested and invested to adopt it. It’s difficult.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:25 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:22 am
While I wouldn’t trust the Russians as far as I could throw them ,they’re the absolute aggressors here .It has to be said that UKR are using every ounce of propaganda ( and so they should ) inc every awful “ war cliche “ with schools & hospitals being the obvious emotional trigger point . Using hospitals , schools, even nurseries as bases, command posts etc is a painful and horrible reality of modern warfare .
Not sure I can agree with all of this

Yes, when a country is getting bombed, the first place the journalists go to are the hit schools and hospitals (or old peoples homes) - Iraq being a great example

But actually putting a command post in a hospital?

Not sure that is going to be done (though would agree about a school, as all that is a large building with no one in it)

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:28 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:05 am
Nothing to do with the war that though, its about Poland and Hungary not following core EU rules

Shouldn't be on this thread at all really
Sorry Lancaster, I disagree. I think the post will prove insightful for the tensions within Europe itself for historians looking at this day by day account - much as the Geneva meetings of the 1950’s give us far and away our clearest view of Britain standing toe to toe verbally against American action in South East Asia… Laos, Vietnam etc. Vietnam is fascinating, Harold Wilson was vilified for Vietnam - but he resisted unbelievable pressure from America to stay out - and cost us throughout the 1970’s financially for the British Government’s stance (massively increased WW2 repayments). For me it is very much representative of the wider geo-political scene in Europe, great Context and so vital to understanding wider tensions.

But they don’t call a group of historians ‘an argument’ for no reason :-)
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:28 am
Sorry Lancaster, I disagree. I think the post will prove insightful for the tensions within Europe itself for historians looking at this day by day account - much as the Geneva meetings of the 1950’s. Give us far and away out clearest view of Britain standing toe to toe verbally against American action in South East Asia… Laos, Vietnam etc. Vietnam is fascinating, Harold Wilson was vilified for Vietnam - but he resisted unbelievable pressure from America to stay out - and cost us throughout the 1970’s financially for the British Government’s stance (massively increased WW2 repayments). For me it is very much representative of the wider geo-political scene in Europe and so vital to understanding wider tensions.

But they don’t call a group of historians ‘an argument’ for no reason :-)
I don't want to get the thread pulled elwa, but its not related to the war.

You could make a case for Hungary, as Orban has been cuddling up to Putin for decades, but not for Poland, who are amongst the strongest critics of Putin

Its a way wider scope than the thread allows for starters

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1656 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:34 am

I certainly think countries like ours needs to seriously think about a missile defence system worthy of the name, if we threw effort into it like a Covid vaccine no nuke or other ICBM could ever penetrate our defences. I read an article on this the other day suggesting we have been complacent in thinking our deterrent was enough. I think that was naive, especially with some of the even dodgier nations developing these weapons.

In the short term though the key is not to lay a finger on anything on Russian soil, and not let the Ukrainians do it either as a condition of helping them. I tend to also think we can only focus on defensive technology within Ukraine, not offensive, which we are doing. That should keep the risk of WW3 to a minimum. As soon as we start flying planes over and things like that, the risk of escalation rises. That wouldn’t be good for Ukraine or indeed anyone else.

On a positive though, tragic though it obviously is we have to ensure some good comes of it. We were sleepwalking into a world where autocratic regimes ruled the roost, and ones that are not renowned for ethnic tolerance either. This has been a huge wake up call. In 50 years (sadly I won’t be here by then) we may be glad of that. I firmly believe that the whole of the world can live in freedom, peace and prosperity.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:36 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:31 am
Am I being Naiive? But surely this war ends when Ukraine concede the Donbas region.
That's like saying we should concede Kent and Surrey .

Why should they?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:36 am

Yes let’s stay on topic no more thread pulls please.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 am

You could make a case for Hungary, as Orban has been cuddling up to Putin for decades, but not for Poland, who are amongst the strongest critics of Putin

Absolutely agree we do not want the tread getting bogged down by the wider Political ‘room’ but I think on this occasion we should welcome the input as reflecting the need for further background reading (about national agendas within NATO) for those looking for deeper intimate understanding of our times.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:30 am

It wasn't my intention to get the thread pulled, I'm aware a comment I made the other day was deleted the day the thread was closed.

I just figured it was relevant in view of Poland taking in Ukrainian refugees and having to house/feed them etc.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:49 am

We can say it needs 4 people in separate locations to agree regarding a nuclear assault but we are dealing with a country which has very different values in terms of human life to ourselves. The Russian mentality throughout history has shown total disdain for human life such as when they allowed over a million of their own people to starve during WW2. There is an argument that allowing your own people to starve is worse than anything Hitler did against people outside his ideology.

Russia cannot be trusted and we cannot sit in comfort knowing that four of them are needed to start a nuclear attack. They are capable of anything when they are blitzing kids and pregnant women whilst lying through their teeth about it.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:57 am

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:25 am
Not patronising at all Elwa, I appreciate the post.

I think age definitely helps, I’ve never known anything like this myself (I am 35) and war has always felt such a distant spectre even when ongoing in foreign lands in my own lifetime. It might sound selfish (and, really, it is) but it’s the fear of it hitting us here and everything that could entail is really messing me up.

I think I really need to pull myself away from the constant refreshing cycle of Twitter, the BBC News app and this thread that I’ve been doing whilst working from home. That’s not a criticism of these sources of information, I hasten to add, it’s just playing havoc with my anxiety. I have only once struggled with my mental health, and it was at the outset of Covid when we didn’t really know how bad or not it was. I feel the same pangs of worry in me now that I did then, but at a much higher level. Back then I was doing the same, just absorbing endless amounts of harrowing information and fearing the worst about things I had absolutely no power to influence.

This isn’t a cry for help, just expressing how the news impacts on some people. Head in the sand approach is what I know would suit me better, but I’m too interested and invested to adopt it. It’s difficult.
I FULLY appreciate your concern, and I certainly would never belittle anyone’s anxiety over the situation - I went to University to get me back into ‘society’ after a mental breakdown and re-cooperation that took ten years to control my ‘black dog’ depressions (only for COVID to strike mid 2nd Year). But thank God I did University opened my mind and help me change my way at looking not just at history, but every relationship in ways my previous HND had completely failed to do.

By looking at this most horrible of situations, part of a historians training is to remove yourself from the action… you are just a reviewer of events (normally the past) but in cases like this helping to create the factual narrative for future students of the conflict. So if we appear at times cold and heartless in our posts; we’re not its our training kicking in.

All in all things seem to be going far better (horror aside), than most of us believed 2 weeks ago. Putin is losing and will ultimately lose and hopefully the World will ultimately feel a much less aggressive place than it has for some time. Ukraine will be rebuilt and a new order established.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:09 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:43 am
I felt this way initially but every passing day I think the opposite:

They are mightily struggling in Ukraine and have kind of shown themselves to the world to basically be full of ****… I don’t think anyone is seriously worried about their military in terms of being able to retake multiple countries - they’ve shown themselves to be uncoordinated, incompetent & lacking modern equipment….

All they have as always is the numbers game but conscript soldiers are never as motivated as pros and even then - it’s not 1943 anymore, they’re still a bit controlled by their state but they aren’t anywhere near as brainwashed as they were when the USSR was in full flow.

Not to mention the staggering sanctions put on them - I don’t think they would have the capacity to rebuild and repatch their army.

The only concern of course is the nuclear threat - but I gained some reassurance in that it’s not as simple as one mad dictator (Putin) simply pushing a button and that being it; there’s a chain of command and from what I’ve seen/heard/read, I don’t think such a command would be executed.
Putin can lie to the people, block TV stations, threaten protestors, but when this is all over, and these Russian troops come home, how does he stop 1000s of angry soldiers from telling the people the hell they faced, the losses they had, and the crimes they saw committed.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:37 pm
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/statu ... 8514374664

Not good

Russia has massive previous for using chemical weapons in Syria (which people were more than happy to blame on the Israelis) but if they do this then that is a massive escalation which NATO would have to react to
Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:44 am
Russian proxy state used Russian supplied chemical weapons

I'm struggling to see the difference
Hipper wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:53 am
By the way, I thought Syria made their own chemical weapons.
Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am
No idea, bellingcat have done some great research on Russian/Syrian chemical attacks on their own people

Well worth some of your time I feel
From claiming Russia 'has previous for using chemical weapons' in Syria, to 'a proxy state (Syria) used Russian supplied chemical weapons' to 'no idea' if chemical weapons used in Syria were Russian sourced.

You've posted lots of good stuff on here but my complaint is that in this case at least you've let emotion get the better of facts. We know Russia is bad but I don't see the need to try and make it look even worse. This on the lines of WW1 Germans bayonetting babies.

https://www.propublica.org/article/wher ... -come-from

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6913 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:31 pm

We are actually living through history now,first global warming, then pandemic now this, decades from now children will be studying this period (hopefully) being grateful their politicians and leaders learnt lessons and made changes.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:09 pm
Putin can lie to the people, block TV stations, threaten protestors, but when this is all over, and these Russian troops come home, how does he stop 1000s of angry soldiers from telling the people the hell they faced, the losses they had, and the crimes they saw committed.
Exactly -

I think there’s a generational divide as well in Russia; younger generations that are more connected/more travelled, seen more of Europe then their elders know something is up.

I really do believe Putin is in over his head and is suffering the effects of being unopposed & surrounded by sycophants

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:41 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:26 pm
From claiming Russia 'has previous for using chemical weapons' in Syria, to 'a proxy state (Syria) used Russian supplied chemical weapons' to 'no idea' if chemical weapons used in Syria were Russian sourced.

You've posted lots of good stuff on here but my complaint is that in this case at least you've let emotion get the better of facts. We know Russia is bad but I don't see the need to try and make it look even worse. This on the lines of WW1 Germans bayonetting babies.

https://www.propublica.org/article/wher ... -come-from
Have you used the Bellingcat website yet Hipper?

And that article does rather back up what I'm saying

I'm not sure what you are trying to say (not for the first time on this thread)

Russia has chemical weapons, and its proxy state Syria has used them on it own people. Whether they are home produced or not, they are not invented in Syria, they are based on Russian equipment, delivered on Russian delivery systems, and used with the full consent of Russia

I hope like hell they don't use them in the Ukraine for the simple reason that is regarded by NATO as the same as using nuclear weapons and would be an escalation that we don't need

And if I'm being emotional, so what?

Only one side is indiscriminately bombing, only one side is invading the other, only one side is threatening the stability that everyone has a right to

Sometimes that may mean that my balance is affected, but I only use trusted sources, and base my analysis (which tends to be with the commentators who know more about this than me) on that

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/stat ... 0934477826

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/sta ... 9784725515

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/20 ... e-helmets/

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/15 ... 9351355400 (Oz is currently reporting on the War in Kyi'v)

And your typical Russian disinformation post (you will see a lot of this)

https://twitter.com/EmbassyofRussia/sta ... 7454119936

Point I'm making is Russia is as bad as it is being made to be on this thread

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:42 pm

jedi_master wrote:

"If the 3rd World War was to be fought using nuclear weapons. Then the 4th World War would be fought with bows and arrows"

Albert Einstein.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:45 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:41 pm
Have you used the Bellingcat website yet Hipper?

And that article does rather back up what I'm saying

Russia has chemical weapons, and its proxy state Syria has used them on it own people. Whether they are home produced or not, they are not invented in Syria, they are based on Russian equipment, delivered on Russian delivery systems, and used with the full consent of Russia

I hope like hell they don't use them in the Ukraine for the simple reason that is regarded by NATO as the same as using nuclear weapons and would be an escalation that we don't need

And if I'm being emotional, so what?

Only one side is indiscriminately bombing, only one side is invading the other, only one side is threatening the stability that everyone has a right to

Sometimes that may mean that my balance is affected, but I only use trusted sources, and base my analysis (which tends to be with the commentators who know more about this than me) on that

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/stat ... 0934477826

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/sta ... 9784725515

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/20 ... e-helmets/

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/15 ... 9351355400 (Oz is currently reporting on the War in Kyi'v)

And your typical Russian disinformation post (you will see a lot of this)

https://twitter.com/EmbassyofRussia/sta ... 7454119936

Point I'm making is Russia is as bad as it is being made to be on this thread
I'd say they are far worse ,if they are threatening the world with nuclear weapons.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm not trying to say anything. I'm trying to find a balanced view and it's not helped by misleading information.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:05 pm

No progress was made in todays Kyiv-Moscow talks (surprise, surprise)

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/150 ... 57251?s=21

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:11 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:56 pm
I'm not trying to say anything. I'm trying to find a balanced view and it's not helped by misleading information.
Please, show me the links that you are using for your analysis, and again, I genuinely appreciate links to stuff like this

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6913 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:20 pm

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Friend of mine WhatsApp ed me the other day, nickel is used in high quantities to make tooling for hot operations circa 740 to 920 degrees C, to say he was trying and failing to buy any at any price.

Today this pops up. Piece by Mr Zeihan
For the Mods, this is part of the sanctions. But feel free to delete if you disagree it’s relevance.

https://youtu.be/G2ZhupW68_Y

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:59 pm
Not a qualified historian!

I have a history degree, but this is just "my thing"!

MODERATOR - You are a 6 months teacher training away from being able to teach History up to and including FE level - that makes you a qualified Historian, whether you practice it or not/ whether it is you thing or not.
I'm putting that on my CV

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:13 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Friend of mine WhatsApp ed me the other day, nickel is used in high quantities to make tooling for hot operations circa 740 to 920 degrees C, to say he was trying and failing to buy any at any price.

Today this pops up. Piece by Mr Zeihan
For the Mods, this is part of the sanctions. But feel free to delete if you disagree it’s relevance.

https://youtu.be/G2ZhupW68_Y
Yeah, loads of nickel comes from the most polluted places on the earth at the mouth of the Yensei (could be another huge river like the Lena) at Norilsk

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Russia to conscript by mail - failure to comply will lead to arrest. NEXTA

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/150 ... 44392?s=21

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:13 pm
Yeah, loads of nickel comes from the most polluted places on the earth at the mouth of the Yensei (could be another huge river like the Lena) at Norilsk
Ukraine also is a big producer of Neon which is used in silicon chip manufacture

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:02 pm

Kyiv Independant : Zelenskiy to pass low allowing confiscation of Russian owned property in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/sta ... 99586?s=21

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:06 pm

Scottish leader - warns North Sea not an option to replace Russian oil

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1501 ... 78306?s=21