All Matches Off

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6972 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Re: All Matches Off

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:20 pm
Maybe not, but if I was the PL I’d be concerned about that 100%.
I’m sure the PL have lots of concerns generally, they still have nothing to do with why they’ve postponed this weekend’s fixtures.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:25 pm

Targetman wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:11 pm
I'm astounded by the selfishness of some of the posters on this message board.
Have to agree with this. Everyone should be free to choose what they do, rather than everything being cancelled.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 904 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm

I’m a bit gutted that the Queen has died but I’m also a bit gutted that our game tonight and my 10 year old lad’s grassroots game on Sunday has been cancelled too.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm

Absolutely no logic or sense to calling off football games.
The fact that it’s looking like grass roots footballed might also be cancelled is even more non sensical.

Why pick out certain sports for a start when other sports will not be cancelled ?
Are they cancelling fishing or cycling as more people participate in them than football ?
Are they cancelling theatre shows or comedy gigs ? The Lowry have confirmed all shows are on tonight.

This is going to cause a lot of disruption and also some financial losses to many people who cannot afford it. And for what ?
Will it be remembered in history that a few selected sports called off a few domestic fixtures for the odd weekend and then some of those sports returned the day after (like golf and cricket) ???

I cannot get my head around why anyone would think it’s disrespectful to the passing of the Queen to participate or spectate some sports.

Even using the Liverpool being at home argument does not really compute - if certain people in that area of the country (or any area) want to disrespect the Queen they may well still do this irrespective as to whether one home game is cancelled. Yes it might get national coverage but these fans have been booing the national anthem for years and very probably will continue to do so in the future.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret bennitor

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:25 pm
Have to agree with this. Everyone should be free to choose what they do, rather than everything being cancelled.
You’re free to turn up to a cancelled event if you want, no one is stopping you.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm
Absolutely no logic or sense to calling off football games.
The fact that it’s looking like grass roots footballed might also be cancelled is even more non sensical.

Why pick out certain sports for a start when other sports will not be cancelled ?
Are they cancelling fishing or cycling as more people participate in them than football ?
Are they cancelling theatre shows or comedy gigs ? The Lowry have confirmed all shows are on tonight.

This is going to cause a lot of disruption and also some financial losses to many people who cannot afford it. And for what ?
Will it be remembered in history that a few selected sports called off a few domestic fixtures for the odd weekend and then some of those sports returned the day after (like golf and cricket) ???

I cannot get my head around why anyone would think it’s disrespectful to the passing of the Queen to participate or spectate some sports.

Even using the Liverpool being at home argument does not really compute - if certain people in that area of the country (or any area) want to disrespect the Queen they may well still do this irrespective as to whether one home game is cancelled. Yes it might get national coverage but these fans have been booing the national anthem for years and very probably will continue to do so in the future.
No one has ‘picked out football’ other than football itself.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm

I was getting wound up about it but am chilled now. Apparently it was her dying wish to prevent kids from playing sport so as a mere subject I'm not going to argue with that.

After all, if nothing else this exemplifies her spirit of keeping calm and carrying on in the face of adversity, right? So change of plans, just going to run through the 'mourning' timetable with the kids and we're all set for a weekend of quality respecting. But not at football. Maybe the shops, or a cinema instead.
This user liked this post: bennitor

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:33 pm

Enola Gay wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:41 pm
Which they could do just as well and easily if the games were going ahead.
To all the whiners; it’s only a game and there are more important things in life. If you try really hard you WILL survive the weekend without football so, come on you can do it. Once you do that, just rinse and repeat until the next game, whenever that is. You did it through the pandemic so you CAN do it again. If you feel like crying at any point please do so, because you have a ready made excuse so make us proud.

bennitor
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:33 pm

It is always interesting to see quotes along the lines of "show some respect" or "this board is full of dickheads" - just because some people disagree.

All I would say is remember that some people don't like the queen, the monarchy or anything they collectively stand for. Whilst the queen's death is very sad for her family and they should be left alone to mourn in whatever way they want to, it doesn't mean a jot to many, many people. So when their lives are then impacted by that event, it is inevitably frustrating.

As has been alluded to - if people want to mourn by not attending a football match then that is entirely their prerogative. To have it forced on you when you don't care about it, is understandably annoying.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:35 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Partly true but I’d expect there is consultation happening between the various authorities in reaching these decisions.
Irrespective it still defies any logic.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:33 pm
To have it forced on you when you don't care about it, is understandably annoying.
What is being forced on you?

Oh and the matches will all be played, they have not been cancelled.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 pm
I’m a Burnley fan, I don’t support any other team so I don’t know, or care, about the supporters of other teams.
Yes, but in this instance your point would have been much better made had you decried the fact your a human being.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1667 times
Has Liked: 2985 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm

BennyD wrote:
To all the whiners; it’s only a game and there are more important things in life. If you try really hard you WILL survive the weekend without football so, come on you can do it. Once you do that, just rinse and repeat until the next game, whenever that is. You did it through the pandemic so you CAN do it again. If you feel like crying at any point please do so, because you have a ready made excuse so make us proud.
A classic......anyone taking a different view to the poster in a discussion/debate is a "whiner" , completely lacking the self-awareness to recognise your own tone.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 pm

martin_p wrote:
Basically the FA and PL are terrified of appearing "insensitive". That's the top and bottom of it.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:39 pm

bennitor wrote:
It is always interesting to see quotes along the lines of "show some respect" or "this board is full of dickheads" - just because some people disagree.

All I would say is remember that some people don't like the queen, the monarchy or anything they collectively stand for. Whilst the queen's death is very sad for her family and they should be left alone to mourn in whatever way they want to, it doesn't mean a jot to many, many people. So when their lives are then impacted by that event, it is inevitably frustrating.

As has been alluded to - if people want to mourn by not attending a football match then that is entirely their prerogative. To have it forced on you when you don't care about it, is understandably annoying.
But whether you care or not the country you live in is a constitutional monarchy so I’m afraid you’ll have to accept that certain things happen when the monarch dies. Or alternatively you could join a political movement for change, but you live by the conventions of the country you live in until they do change.

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm
What is being forced on you?

Oh and the matches will all be played, they have not been cancelled.
All of this psychopathic pandering. On bus stops, signs, TV, radio, emails from companies etc. It's nauseating. A good example was BBC 1 yesterday Full blanket coverage. Ok fair enough it's a big deal for some. I know, I'll flick and watch the athletics on BBC2. Oh wait, it is the exact same coverage as on BBC1. So yeah - forced.

And the postponement forces me to change my plans for an event that means absolutely nothing to me. It forces kids to miss something they enjoy at grassroots level.

I realise matches will be played but who is to say I'll be able to make it on the rearranged date?

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:39 pm
But whether you care or not the country you live in is a constitutional monarchy so I’m afraid you’ll have to accept that certain things happen when the monarch dies. Or alternatively you could join a political movement for change, but you live by the conventions of the country you live in until they do change.
Indeed and I understand that. And I do subscribe to that political movement for change in many ways from the monarchy to our political system. However, as a good old democratic nation I'm allowed to say when I think those conventions are a load of tosh :)

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:39 pm
Although it didn't happen last time, and we were a monarchy then too. And there's no official guidance that it needed to happen this time, other than yesterday and the day of the funeral. So it's not the convention.

'jrgbfc' nailed it earlier, it's nothing to do with 'mourning' or respect, it's just nobody official wants to be the first to put their head above the parapet and get on with life.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm
Indeed and I understand that. And I do subscribe to that political movement for change in many ways from the monarchy to our political system. However, as a good old democratic nation I'm allowed to say when I think those conventions are a load of tosh :)
You are, and equally other people are allowed to disagree with you.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:47 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm
All of this psychopathic pandering. On bus stops, signs, TV, radio, emails from companies etc. It's nauseating. A good example was BBC 1 yesterday Full blanket coverage. Ok fair enough it's a big deal for some. I know, I'll flick and watch the athletics on BBC2. Oh wait, it is the exact same coverage as on BBC1. So yeah - forced.

And the postponement forces me to change my plans for an event that means absolutely nothing to me. It forces kids to miss something they enjoy at grassroots level.

I realise matches will be played but who is to say I'll be able to make it on the rearranged date?
Get yourself a months worth of Netflix, only £15. The documentary on McAfee is quite interesting. That or Amazon Prime, I recommend the new film on there ‘Thirteen Lives’. You can get a month of Prime for free with an order on Amazon. See, a bit of creative thinking and suddenly you aren’t being forced.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 611 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:47 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm

OMG kids miss playing footy for a week??!! How ever will they cope?!!!

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:48 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:47 pm
Get yourself a months worth of Netflix, only £15. The documentary on McAfee is quite interesting. That or Amazon Prime, I recommend the new film on there ‘Thirteen Lives’. You can get a month of Prime for free with an order on Amazon. See, a bit of creative thinking and suddenly you aren’t being forced.
Maybe there is a documentary on how to patronise someone but you've probably already watched it :D
This user liked this post: jen1066

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
I'm sure they will cope, that wasn't the point :)

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:52 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:45 pm
Although it didn't happen last time, and we were a monarchy then too. And there's no official guidance that it needed to happen this time, other than yesterday and the day of the funeral. So it's not the convention.

'jrgbfc' nailed it earlier, it's nothing to do with 'mourning' or respect, it's just nobody official wants to be the first to put their head above the parapet and get on with life.
There’s little point in making comparisons with the world 70 years ago but I suspect if the whole of the weekend programme was being played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon three days after the monarchs death like in 1952 then games would have gone ahead. But in the modern world fixtures are spread over four days and once the first domino had fallen the rest followed.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2981 times
Has Liked: 2079 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:56 pm

People having to do something they don't want to do shock horror !!!!

If you think you can get through life doing exactly what you want to do, going exactly where
you want to go and saying exactly what you want to say then you are in for a big wakeup call.

If you want anarchy, go and live somewhere else and see how you get on. In the meantime
shut up, sit down and behave.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:58 pm

Still haven’t heard a reasonable argument as to why being against postponing footy/other social events is ‘respectful’ and not wanting them cancelled is ‘disrespectful’

Probably because that argument is about as credible as a monarchy is in 2022 - a complete crock of ****

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:41 pm
Loss of income? No chance of refunds on expensive train fares etc.?

Easy to say when some people are fairly well off.
Suck it up Sucker 😄😄

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5565 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:01 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
I was getting wound up about it but am chilled now. Apparently it was her dying wish to prevent kids from playing sport so as a mere subject I'm not going to argue with that.

After all, if nothing else this exemplifies her spirit of keeping calm and carrying on in the face of adversity, right? So change of plans, just going to run through the 'mourning' timetable with the kids and we're all set for a weekend of quality respecting. But not at football. Maybe the shops, or a cinema instead.
Push the boat and take them to KFC for a Mega Bucket too.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:36 pm
A classic......anyone taking a different view to the poster in a discussion/debate is a "whiner" , completely lacking the self-awareness to recognise your own tone.
Not at all. I deliberately used the term because that is exactly what people are doing; whining about about football matches being postponed and their liberties being infringed. You seem to know that there is a difference between whining and having a different point of view, but seem incapable of identifying what that difference is.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:07 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
More therapy.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:08 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:58 pm
Still haven’t heard a reasonable argument as to why being against postponing footy/other social events is ‘respectful’ and not wanting them cancelled is ‘disrespectful’

Probably because that argument is about as credible as a monarchy is in 2022 - a complete crock of ****
As are you.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:14 pm

Interesting all cricket playing tomorrow, Stokes saying looking forward to playing in her honour, ( rather than than honouring her by not playing I assume ). A different way of paying your respect🤔

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:16 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:56 pm
People having to do something they don't want to do shock horror !!!!

If you think you can get through life doing exactly what you want to do, going exactly where
you want to go and saying exactly what you want to say then you are in for a big wakeup call.

If you want anarchy, go and live somewhere else and see how you get on. In the meantime
shut up, sit down and behave.
It's quite scary that you consider those basic, democratic liberties to be the definition of anarchy. You're welcome to go and sit down, shut up and behave if you like being told what to do - that's your call, but I'll pass.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:17 pm

bennitor wrote:

I’m not a Royalist, but no it is not understandably annoying. This moment in history is bigger than a mere game so the fact football has been postponed is irrelevant. If you can’t see this is a seismic event that is your problem, so do what you want but, out of respect to the late Queen and the silent majority, please do it quietly. If you can’t do that then it’ll show what kind of person you really are.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:18 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:16 pm
It's quite scary that you consider those basic, democratic liberties to be the definition of anarchy. You're welcome to go and sit down, shut up and behave if you like being told what to do - that's your call, but I'll pass.
What exactly are you being told to do ?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:21 pm

Extinction Rebellion have cancelled their weekend protest in Hyde Park. Even they get it!

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:24 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:18 pm
What exactly are you being told to do ?
I was replying to FunkyDrummer's post?

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:25 pm

Now all cricket is back on tomorrow. That's something at least.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times

Post by jollyjack » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:27 pm

Rugby Premiership going ahead? See an opportunity to bolster gates with football fans with nothing to do..

bennitor

Post by bennitor » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:28 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:17 pm
I’m not a Royalist, but no it is not understandably annoying. This moment in history is bigger than a mere game so the fact football has been postponed is irrelevant. If you can’t see this is a seismic event that is your problem, so do what you want but, out of respect to the late Queen and the silent majority, please do it quietly. If you can’t do that then it’ll show what kind of person you really are.
For me, it's an irrelevant event. It's not a seismic event although I respect that for you it may be. Each to their own.

I have no duty of respect to the Queen, other than I would for anyone who has passed away that I didn't know - best wishes to her family, let them mourn in peace.

I'm not out on the street burning flags, I'm on a messageboard having a discussion. The whole point of these places. It's nothing to do with what kind of person I am. As I've already said - you do you and I'll do me. That shows more about who I am my friend.

NottsClaret

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:29 pm

All the gentleman's sports can go ahead and rightly so, those chaps can be trusted to show the correct level of #respect. I'm afraid the proles will have to wait a little longer for their fun.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:29 pm

BennyD wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:17 pm
It's not really a "seismic" event though is it? Nobody's life will change as a result of this (except for Charles). The queen was not a decision maker in the UK, she did not have any influence over how lives were lived.

In terms of impact, the changing of a government is much more significant than this in the effect it has on lives.

Of course it is a big news story and some people do feel a personal sense of loss but in a couple of weeks, the dust will settle everything will carry on as normal.

"Silent majorities" are a bit like vegans without the self-awareness. Always so keen to tell everyone how silent they are.
Last edited by TheFamilyCat on Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:31 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:29 pm
All the gentleman's sports can go ahead and rightly so, those chaps can be trusted to show the correct level of #respect. I'm afraid the proles will have to wait a little longer for their fun.
You do realise it was the football organisations who made the decision and no one else - don't you?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:29 pm
It's not really a "seismic" event though is it? Nobody's life will change as a result of this (except for Charles). The queen was not a decision maker in the UK, she did not have any influence over how lives were lived.

In terms of impact, the changing of a government is much more significant than this in the effect it has on lives.

Of course it is a big news story and some people do feel a personal sense of loss but in a couple of weeks, the dust will settle everything will carry on as normal.
Whether you like her or not, are a royalist or not, care or not, you must recognise that this is a huge event in the history of our country, particularly as it hasn’t happened for over 70 years. It is literally a day that will go down in history!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:35 pm

All Boxing off this weekend

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:35 pm

martin_p wrote:
You’re free to turn up to a cancelled event if you want, no one is stopping you.
I'm stopping me.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:39 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:34 pm
Whether you like her or not, are a royalist or not, care or not, you must recognise that this is a huge event in the history of our country, particularly as it hasn’t happened for over 70 years. It is literally a day that will go down in history!
Yes, I do. Maybe I understated it when I said "big". But very little will actually change, the tangible impact is absolutely miniscule, if that.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:40 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:35 pm
I'm stopping me.
Well you need to stop depriving yourself of your liberties then!
This user liked this post: BennyD

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:39 pm
Yes, I do. Maybe I understated it when I said "big". But very little will actually change, the tangible impact is absolutely miniscule, if that.
But I’m not sure why that matters.

BennyD

Post by BennyD » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 pm

bennitor wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:28 pm
For me, it's an irrelevant event. It's not a seismic event although I respect that for you it may be. Each to their own.

I have no duty of respect to the Queen, other than I would for anyone who has passed away that I didn't know - best wishes to her family, let them mourn in peace.

I'm not out on the street burning flags, I'm on a messageboard having a discussion. The whole point of these places. It's nothing to do with what kind of person I am. As I've already said - you do you and I'll do me. That shows more about who I am my friend.
Tbh, I’m not your friend because, according to you, I don’t know you. To me, what your personal views are is irrelevant. I couldn’t care less that, to you, it’s an irrelevant event. The least you can do, if you can’t/don’t want to show respect, is go about your business quietly rather than banging a drum/debating your republican views during the period of national mourning. Sadly, this smacks of Brexit where the silent majority has to endure the howled anguish of the vocal minority. As my dear old Mum used to say, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.