Recent Results

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Yorkshire Claret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Recent Results

Post by Yorkshire Claret » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:57 pm

Sheffield Utd have lost more games in the last 4 league games than we have lost all season!!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Recent Results

Post by warksclaret » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:08 pm

Its our performances over 35 league games that allows us to have a result like today,when its fair to say most people expected us to win, and actually not weaken our position in the league.With Brownhill going off, Maatsen injured and four others out, we had a relatively weaker team today, so a clean sheet and point are worthy achievements.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76 evensteadiereddie Spike

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:12 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:08 pm
Its our performances over 35 league games that allows us to have a result like today,when its fair to say most people expected us to win, and actually not weaken our position in the league.With Brownhill going off, Maatsen injured and four others out, we had a relatively weaker team today, so a clean sheet and point are worthy achievements.
I know we expected to win but ... we are facing clubs fighting for their lives in the likes of B-pool etc ... you are spot on about the clean sheet and point ...
These 2 users liked this post: warksclaret tiger76

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:15 pm

It's going to get harder and harder to get results now, so getting just one point is good enough for me

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:30 pm

Think we might find it harder than we hoped to get promotion,injuries coming thick,and fast,and teams digging in really hard to get a point,trouble is all the top half have a chance of the playoffs,all the bottom half have a chance of going down,I’m sure we’ll get there ,but possibly might have to accept the odd defeat.

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:39 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:15 pm
It's going to get harder and harder to get results now, so getting just one point is good enough for me
Aye. Defeats aren't that bad either. We can finish 2nd and still go up. 3rd and we should win the playoffs.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:44 pm

Think that 10 game winning streak has maybe raised expectations to much, we were never going to carry on putting every team to the sword, and teams would be happy to sit in and defend now like today.
We’ve done most of the hard work though now, it’s just about getting over the line, which we will in due course.
It’s still a young team learning.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:52 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:44 pm
Think that 10 game winning streak has maybe raised expectations to much, we were never going to carry on putting every team to the sword, and teams would be happy to sit in and defend now like today.
We’ve done most of the hard work though now, it’s just about getting over the line, which we will in due course.
It’s still a young team learning.
You are correct-the performances have raised our expectations, so we expect to win every game. I think we underestimate the impact of not having key players fit, and the tiredness from Wednesday's game

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:17 pm

I think we're going to find it more difficult to get wins over our last 11 games
than our previous 11 games.
We've struggled a little over the last two games especially to score goals.
Defensively we've been fine.
The good news in terms of promotion is that we've built up not far off an unassailable
lead. We're 17 points ahead of Boro' with 11 games to play.
So 3 or 4 wins and a couple of draws might well be enough to get us up.
Barring Boro' winning virtually all of their remaining games.

Would love to see us win the Championship in style but promotion is the important one.
And finishing the season in style and good vibes all around.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 pm

What's striking is despite our slight drop off in form the gap to 2nd has only increased, and the gap to 3rd has stayed pretty stable.

13 ahead of Sheff Utd with 12 to play, and 17 ahead of Boro who only have 11 to play like us, it would take a bizarre set of results for us not to finish above both now.

Of course we were never going to maintain that winning run, however even in our last 5 we've won 2 and drawn 3 which is perfectly acceptable form normally.

It is often the case that sides who have built up huge leads struggle to get over the line, Fulham and particularly Bournemouth were prime examples of this last season, however ultimately both were promoted with relative ease as we will be.
This user liked this post: HiThere

HiThere

Post by HiThere » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:00 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 pm
What's striking is despite our slight drop off in form the gap to 2nd has only increased, and the gap to 3rd has stayed pretty stable.

13 ahead of Sheff Utd with 12 to play, and 17 ahead of Boro who only have 11 to play like us, it would take a bizarre set of results for us not to finish above both now.

Of course we were never going to maintain that winning run, however even in our last 5 we've won 2 and drawn 3 which is perfectly acceptable form normally.

It is often the case that sides who have built up huge leads struggle to get over the line, Fulham and particularly Bournemouth were prime examples of this last season, however ultimately both were promoted with relative ease as we will be.
Pretty much spot on.

I don't see it as a bad result. I see it as a Lancashire Derby where anything can happen, and we were MUCH the better team but it just didn't happen on the day. But even after all that, we have STILL extended our lead. I mean, come on. That's not a bad Saturday.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Post by Whitgord » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:20 pm

I always think any team that gets 2 points per game over a season will be there or thereabouts at the end. We are way ahead of that at present.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:24 pm

You would like to think that the teams going for the top 6 will try to beat us, the last couple of matches have seen us playing against teams desperate for a draw.

HiThere

Post by HiThere » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:26 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:24 pm
You would like to think that the teams going for the top 6 will try to beat us, the last couple of matches have seen us playing against teams desperate for a draw.
Like I've said, they are scared to death of us.

I don't think any team in this division fancy their chances of going toe-to-toe with us and winning. Every one of them has to change their tactics.

They aren't trying to beat us, they are trying to do their best not to lose.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:37 pm

We still have a lot to learn, and part of it is how to break teams down. We have enjoyed a lot of last minute winners against teams we have totally dominated.
The lesson imo, is moving the ball quicker, and putting it in the box early. The possession is pointless if we just give the opposition time to pick their man and organise.
It's pedantic, but with a lot more nous we'd have won today.
This user liked this post: Hipper

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:41 pm

last two games makes me wonder how we got so great.

Petersa
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by Petersa » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:38 am

An awful lot of doom and gloom on here considering Burnley's position.
After the Sheffield U game I had a concern that after conceding five and a somewhat poor second half they had shown everyone how to beat Burnley namely high balls to a big centre forward, Burnley had no answer that day.
Well 15 games later only a further 5 goals have been conceded which is significantly the lowest in the division. The draws are disappointing, perhaps, but name me a team whose results you would want to swap with? Oh and by the way aren't we the leading scorers as well?

Cheer up everyone lets enjoy this season while it lasts.
These 2 users liked this post: Rowls Bosscat

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:32 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:37 pm
We still have a lot to learn, and part of it is how to break teams down. We have enjoyed a lot of last minute winners against teams we have totally dominated.
The lesson imo, is moving the ball quicker, and putting it in the box early. The possession is pointless if we just give the opposition time to pick their man and organise.
It's pedantic, but with a lot more nous we'd have won today.
That's the main point I take from this and the Fleetwood game. Good as we were against Huddersfield (and judging by yesterday's result they are at the moment very poor) we need to learn how to win in different ways and that includes breaking down stubborn defences. We know there's more from this team and they are well capable of being improved, as we know that the coaching team can do the job.

I don't go with the tiredness view - there were a lot of players rested and generally all these games have been well managed from that point of view.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:32 am
That's the main point I take from this and the Fleetwood game. Good as we were against Huddersfield (and judging by yesterday's result they are at the moment very poor) we need to learn how to win in different ways and that includes breaking down stubborn defences. We know there's more from this team and they are well capable of being improved, as we know that the coaching team can do the job.

I don't go with the tiredness view - there were a lot of players rested and generally all these games have been well managed from that point of view.
We've been breaking down stubborn defences all season. If you don't go with the view that players can be mentally and physically tired from 9 games in 27 days then fair enough. Zaroury has been way off his best in the past couple of games, not even doing the basics well, it happens. Benson has been our main man for breaking down tight defences yet he's been missing unfortunately. I don't fully understand how we 'need to learn how to win in different ways' because we have so many wins this season of pretty much every variety?

taio
Been Liked: 3247 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:47 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:32 am

You're right - very similar game yesterday to Fleetwood where, as you say, we've struggled to break them down.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:48 am

As was said quite a few weeks ago, we knew this period would come.
Tiredness, a slight loss of cohesion, injuries, suspensions, teams scrapping desperately to nick a point off us - they were all going to happen.
We're getting to the sharp end of a pretty intense season, it's how we move on from here.
And, don't forget, it's the same for our alleged rivals for promotion and the title. Sheff U are already starting to falter and they've another game midweek.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:51 am

I think sheff bottle it

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:52 am

Petersa wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:38 am
An awful lot of doom and gloom on here considering Burnley's position.
After the Sheffield U game I had a concern that after conceding five and a somewhat poor second half they had shown everyone how to beat Burnley namely high balls to a big centre forward, Burnley had no answer that day.
Well 15 games later only a further 5 goals have been conceded which is significantly the lowest in the division. The draws are disappointing, perhaps, but name me a team whose results you would want to swap with? Oh and by the way aren't we the leading scorers as well?

Cheer up everyone lets enjoy this season while it lasts.
The mood does seem rather downbeat considering we're on the verge of promotion, it's telling in itself that draws are now deemed as disappointing.

Last 15 games since Bramall Lane we've won 12 and drawn 3 taking 39/45 points, and if you can't win then not losing is the next best option.

Even yesterday though we weren't anywhere near our best we were the only side who looked like scoring, we just need to sharpen up on our finishing, plus Pool's keeper made the saves when needed.

Top scorers and the tightest defence, so we must be doing something right at both ends of the pitch.
This user liked this post: Petersa

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:52 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:48 am
As was said quite a few weeks ago, we knew this period would come.
Tiredness, a slight loss of cohesion, injuries, suspensions, teams scrapping desperately to nick a point off us - they were all going to happen.
We're getting to the sharp end of a pretty intense season, it's how we move on from here.
And, don't forget, it's the same for our alleged rivals for promotion and the title. Sheff U are already starting to falter and they've another game midweek.
Spot on. Fact is we've only lost 2 games all season and have failed to score in 2. Remarkable in this league, especially this season with the added fixtrure congestion (to what is already a busy Champ schedule) due to the World Cup.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:56 am

Benson is a massive miss in the games like Wednesday and yesterday.

Maatsen, Brownhill, Churlinov all would have helped yesterday. Even Harwood-Bellis was with his passing out.

We’ve had quite a lot of injuries this year all told.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:30 am

Socrates wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:56 am
Benson is a massive miss in the games like Wednesday and yesterday.

Maatsen, Brownhill, Churlinov all would have helped yesterday. Even Harwood-Bellis was with his passing out.

We’ve had quite a lot of injuries this year all told.
Agree those are all big misses - but so is Rodriguez. Barnes has been terrific recently, but in these sort of games games earlier in the season our response has been to drop Jay into a sort of Sheringham style number 10 role, and play someone with real pace (usually Tella, now possibly Foster or Obafemi) through the middle on the last shoulder. That's possible because Jay has the passing game of a midfielder at this level. Ash, for his many qualities, doesn't really offer that so the quasi-442 option isn't available to the same extent - certainly without compromising the physicality of the team.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:35 am

Agreed re the injuries. It’s a testament to the squad we’ve put together that we’re still picking up points despite missing several key players.

The difference has been that we don’t quite have the same options of the bench of late to change a game when it’s needed.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:53 am

Injuries have started to make us look a bit disjointed

We probably need to get to the international break as best we can and then regroup

Taylor at LB is our best option in Maatsen's absence. A Cork/Cullen combination in CM is better than anyone else at this level has available to them

JBG is well suited to the 10 role. As others have said its our lack of options in forward and wide areas where injuries are taking their toll. In addition both Foster and Obafemi are still adjusting

We need to focus on points in the next two games. Might not be as easy on eye as the likes of Preston and Huddersfield

The City game will be tough. VK will desperately want us to give a good account of ourselves but at the same time will be wary of bringing anyone back too soon. Plus it comes after another midweek away trip

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:05 am

Crikey. There's some right pessimism on here. We did break Blackpool down - their keeper made a number of fine saves to save a point. And you have to give them credit for defending well.

They sacrificed everything else to defend for 80 mind then maybe have a bit of a go - Muric had no shots to save at all. Even breaking it was always the front 3 or 4 and the rest if the team stayed back in their half.

On another day one of those decent chances is a few inches wider of the keeper and in. Once we score they fall apart.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:15 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 pm

Don't forget Derby.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:22 am

I'm not so sure it's pessimism. I think we all recognise what an unbelievable season this has been. There are two points really:

1. There is a level of expectation which we are not used to. We expected a win yesterday.

2. We are looking to next season in The Premier League and we need to be better for that.

We have set some high standards this season and we want them kept up if not improved upon. However the ultimate goal is promotion with a bonus of winning the FA Cup by beating Blackburn in the final. What a day that could be!

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:14 pm

Fresh from the world cup break and the chance for VK to instill his requirements into the team, a kind of pre season opportunity he wasn't afforded in the summer due to all the changes of players, there was a marked improvement on the opening set of games.

Constantly playing twice each week means fatigue is now having an effect and perhaps may also be contributing to one or two of the injuries/niggles.

That we are considering a point and a clean sheet as not quite achieving the levels we've been getting used to recently, really is testament to the outstanding job being done by the team.

I'm still in awe of the execution of the change in style, the players we've signed, the amount spent and how well we've done this season.

It's a great relief to be on track to achieve instant promotion back to the prem, I was worried about us being a mid table championship club again and all that would entail.

I'm bursting with pride that we are so good, everybody seems to have a completely different view of us as a club compared to recent seasons, Brexit, white, anti football, were some of the terms used to describe us, I don't hear or read any of that anymore.
When they ask who I support and I with a smile, reply Burnley, people's reactions are so different now.

We're going to be champions once again. Magnificent. Talk about wear your colours with pride.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:18 pm

As VK has said come through 9 games in 27 days
I know there have been two cup matches but we won 6 and drew three
We now have a week to refresh for another two league and one cup gane

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:24 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:35 am
Agreed re the injuries. It’s a testament to the squad we’ve put together that we’re still picking up points despite missing several key players.

The difference has been that we don’t quite have the same options of the bench of late to change a game when it’s needed.
Spot on we've somehow managed to keep churning out the results as the injuries have mounted up, compare us to Sheff Utd who when faced with a similar injury list have struggled big time.

Shows that our strength in depth is second to none in this league, and our mentality is first rate to keep on going until the task is complete.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:29 pm

39 points from a possible 45 is one hell of a performance which is bound to come to an end in the next 11 games in all probability as from now until at least games 41 or 42 teams will be scrapping to stay in the league or get out of it via play offs or as runners up to us

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:52 am
The mood does seem rather downbeat considering we're on the verge of promotion, it's telling in itself that draws are now deemed as disappointing.

Last 15 games since Bramall Lane we've won 12 and drawn 3 taking 39/45 points, and if you can't win then not losing is the next best option.

Even yesterday though we weren't anywhere near our best we were the only side who looked like scoring, we just need to sharpen up on our finishing, plus Pool's keeper made the saves when needed.

Top scorers and the tightest defence, so we must be doing something right at both ends of the pitch.
Finishing can always be improved, but I think the bigger problem is the poor and lack of delivery from out wide. It isn't just Zaroury and Tella, because when they lay it back for Roberts, Vitinho or whoever is behind them, the result is the same. We open up space to put a ball in the box and don't take it. When we do try to put the ball in, too often, we are hitting the nearest defender.
I'm not being churlish, we are having an unbelievable season, but the problem is easily remedied if the players just take it on board.
Last edited by Colburn_Claret on Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:30 pm

Good time for a clear week for us .

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:32 pm

Half of our team have never played two games a week in their lives, it's starting to show, understandably

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:48 pm

I think having good runs in both cups and unrelenting number of games in the championship is probably taking its toll a bit in terms of injuries and fatigue. We have a clear week now so hopefully can reset a bit.

Spike
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 1241 times

Post by Spike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:56 pm

No reason to be dispirited. Running away with the League and unbeaten run intact