How the hell did we lose that

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Re: How the hell did we lose that

Post by It Is What It Is » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:51 pm

Would rather have turned up at Deadwood as champions...celebrations won't be as good at all with only 2000 Clarets fans allowed...prefer draw our next games and be crowned at the Turf on last day v Cardiff.
Better all around really.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:53 pm

We scored 1, they scored 2……….the end!

Blue Skies
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Blue Skies » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:01 pm

Yes we lost. The issue was once we equalised there should have been a calm down message from the bench and VK. We became giddy in the search for the winner leaving two on two more than once. Corner is given away and a well goal. If we had needed one point for the Championship today we would have had it. The crowd pushed us on but let our selves down.
We have had three goes at winning the title with three more to go. We will get there but today was disappointing to say the least. At least we are ******* Colin off at Hudders.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:16 pm
I dont think the second half was that bad, and QPR deserve credit for defending manfully when they weren't flagrantly wasting time. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the best we've seen, but we continued to dominate the game.

What changed was we (a) switched off defensively, and (b) stopped manipulating the ball with the patience we'd showed in the first half. That patience allowed us to work overloads down the sides, particularly down the left (where Zaroury, Maatsen and JBG combined to superb effect, creating a constant stream of dangerous crosses), but also with Brownhill, Roberts and Benson on the right. Impatience meant we stopped doing that in the second half and that made us more dependent on moments of magic from the two wide players, which they only managed between them once.

We do also lack a midfielder who can switch the ball quickly though, particularly against 2 narrow banks of four- the only players to manage that today were THB and Mastsen - and both for that reason and the second half issue of width, I thought the substitution of Maatsen and Brownhill filling in a bit was counter productive. It made us narrower and a bit more ponderous when we needed the opposite.
When you get to the point. Incorrect.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Dingo wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 pm
Frustrating not to win but I thought QPR were very good today. Sure, they were fortunate in the first half not to be a couple down, but their last ditch defending and blocking was solid. Second half their management of the game was excellent and their shape was compact and tight; really restricted us in the final third. We had enough time to win it irrespective of them pushing the boundaries at every opportunity and I’ve no problem with that, especially given their league position. They worked very hard and you could see how much they needed that win and I thought they deserved it. On to Rovers…
Had we played like that in previous seasons against top opposition, the players would all be getting 10s on the ratings thread, probably from the same fans complaining about QPR...they did a job on us...........but we were poor defensively for the 2nd game in a row, which is why we didn't win either game.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:14 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm
Ah. Hello.

Interestingly, I'm not sufficiently obsessed with Maatsen for that to actually be my point. It was more a coda to my post. And I'm pretty comfortable with my conclusion but if course open to anyone who offers a reasoned explanation of why they think I might be mistaken.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Hard to pass through into the box when there are seven defenders and more plus the keeper
We should have been peppering their goal from 15-20 yards out
We scored one from about the only long range effort
Deflections cause havoc when the penalty area is as crowded as it was today
QPR defended really well but second half was very poor from us
Last time we lost we went on to beat Rovers
Will history repeat itself?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:43 pm

We lost conceding poorly and because we missed a lot of early chances. We missed Tella and we need a good striker and creative midfielder.

shulgin
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by shulgin » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Needed a fully fit Defour to unlock the gates and bring players in today.

Claretmutt
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretmutt » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:08 pm

Plain and simple we didn’t take our chances.If we
had it would have been game over at half time.
These 4 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Ampth7 tiger76 longsidepies

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:13 pm

We were brilliant first half and did everything but score, but that was partly down to superb last ditch defending and also us missing absolute sitters! (Barnes, Benson and THB being the most obvious culprits!) QPR changed their right back at half time which possibly made a difference, but we didn't play anything like as well second half. Even so, we should have had enough to comfortably see off that shower and yet we didn't! I may be in a minority of 1 here, but I never feel we're as solid defensively when THB plays and we're always susceptible to the sucker counter attack by crap teams. Maybe that's unfair, I don't know, but the two goals we conceded were awful and that's 4 utterly awful goals let in in 4 days. Ultimately total domination is great if you're a boxer and win easily on points, but it's goals that win footy matches and you have to bloody score them and stop letting them in!

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:15 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 pm
Sorry to get involved where it's not my business, but I couldn't help but notice that pretty much every response to claretspice's posts that I've seen from you in the last week or so fundamentally screams an insecurity at being incapable of articulating what you're seeing when you look at footy in the way spice can articulate himself, and make argument one way or the other. You can only do basic bitch footy opinions. Fine. You don't agree with him. Fine. But targeting him with snark about post length is piteous. It's internet bottom feeding, honestly. He's discussing footy on a footy forum. Pi$$ off to twitter if you want a 240 character limit.
Last edited by Spiral on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat GaryClaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:16 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:15 pm
Sorry to get involved where it's not my business, but I couldn't help but notice that pretty much every response to claretspice's posts that I've seen from you in the last week or so fundamentally screams an insecurity at being incapable of articulating what you're seeing when you look at footy in the way spice can articulate himself, and make argument one way or the other. You don't agree with him, fine, but targeting him with snark about post length is piteous. It's internet bottom feeding, honestly. He's discussing footy on a footy forum. Pi$$ off to twitter if you want a 240 character limit.
PapaBendi is the type who would pay $7 for his blue tick I suspect Spiral

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 pm

When SD was in charge I remember many an opposition fan ranting on their forums after we beat them ,that ‘They’d rather be relegated “ than watch the dross we served up to win a match ,I think the boot was on the other foot today ,just looked back on the QPR forums at around 3-30pm ,and they were shitting themselves.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:34 pm

Poor almost desperate subs.
The team shouldn’t have changed after sheff Utd, it did and the last 3 games are a consequence of that

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:48 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:21 pm
Not often you see three players from the same team sprawled out ‘needing’ treatment, at the same time.
With their physio not even leaving the bench.

Event a player goes down and the physio doesn’t move- it’s pretty clear that there is nonsense being played.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Burnley Ace

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:12 pm

In answer to the OP. Shithousery at its finest. Ok, I know they scored 2 to our 1, but when you look back:
Keeper time wasting from min 1
Feigning injury at any given chance
Continually kicking the ball away when free kick awarded against
Referee who was never gonna clamp down on all the above, then added a pitiful 3 min on first half, and 8 in the second.
Woeful from the officials.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:49 am

Most points have been covered but my take on today and the future.....
You can't blame qpr for their game plan. A few games we played away at Chelsea spring to mind where their managers complained against our tactics and the response on this forum was "do they expect us to go toe to toe with them and outplay them"
First half was very good and looked like a question of how many would it be. Took them apart at will and if we scored early it would have been a repeat of the Huddersfield home game.
We have a potential problem.at centre forward. Why is Barnes starting? Cult hero I understand but he's never been a great player. Ever. Jay is no longer Premier League so Obafemi and Foster need minutes to prove their worth. Our style of play means we don't need an out and out goalscorer and Gyorkeres looks like someone tailor made for this team.
THB - has he been rated too highly by some? Has he not been the same since returning from injury? Or is he a young centre half learning his trade? Most likely the latter.
We definitely addressed our early seaon struggles on coping with physical teams and particularly dealing with crosses. It looked early on in the season that we would be good but with a soft underbelly. We've looked more vulnerable lately though and today I worried on set pieces and more so coping with pace on breakaway.
Our games seem to have a set pattern. We score early and cruise to victory (which has become a lot less common) or we can't to break teams down and we struggle. Earlier in the season, in the games we didn't score early, we'd ware them down after an hour and get the win. This has been much tougher lately, particularly as we've conceded more goals.
Midfield - we need someone that can pass the ball 40 yards and can also unlock a defence with a killer through ball. Possession stuff is great but today is a good example of struggling to play through a packed central area. Too many square 5 yard passes. We've played our best stuff this season when we've played with more urgency. Sunderland away and the home games against Rotherham and Reading spring to mind.
What an unbelievable season we've had so any criticism seems so harsh. Personally I'm not too disheartened by today. It just would have been lovely to finish with a an unbeaten home record and hit 100 points (still possible) to really cement this side in history.
Anyway, bit if a ramble so thanks to anyone that stuck with it!

jojomk1
Been Liked: 851 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 am

A central midfield bereft of any ideas other than to pass sideways and backwards with no desire to even try a shot on goal
It doesn't help when the likes of Barnes and JBG don't show for any telling pass through the middle - possession is fine if you can use it effectively
First half Zaroury and Benson played very well getting to the byeline on numerous plays but just nobody getting into space in the six yard box to take advantage
Subs Twine, Jay and Obafemmi had no impact on the game at all which is a real worry
Yes, we could have been three up at half time but the longer the game went on we just didn't have the guile to break them down
It's going to be an interesting summer and, hopefully, VK is already making plans as clearly CM and Striker are our main areas for concern

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:16 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:15 pm
Sorry to get involved where it's not my business, but I couldn't help but notice that pretty much every response to claretspice's posts that I've seen from you in the last week or so fundamentally screams an insecurity at being incapable of articulating what you're seeing when you look at footy in the way spice can articulate himself, and make argument one way or the other. You can only do basic bitch footy opinions. Fine. You don't agree with him. Fine. But targeting him with snark about post length is piteous. It's internet bottom feeding, honestly. He's discussing footy on a footy forum. Pi$$ off to twitter if you want a 240 character limit.
As you wish

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:17 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:17 pm
Papabendi knows what he is but reports posts that say it out loud (or type it, in this case).
Reported for innuendo.

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 am

claretspice wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:14 pm
Ah. Hello.

Interestingly, I'm not sufficiently obsessed with Maatsen for that to actually be my point. It was more a coda to my post. And I'm pretty comfortable with my conclusion but if course open to anyone who offers a reasoned explanation of why they think I might be mistaken.
Of course I think?

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:54 am

Lets be thankful we have the points alreadyto be promoted. I would be genuinely worried if we were in January now and were playing as we have been in the last 3 games. Work for Vincent I feel

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am

We lost for 2 simple reasons we couldn't convert all our 1st half possession into goals, and 2nd half we lacked the composure and patience required to unduly worry an increasingly confident QPR.

Plus we looked vulnerable when they finally started bothering to go forward.

Some worrying bad early season habits returning.

Missing of gilt-edged chances.
Loads of the ball but lacking many shots on target.
No impact from our subs.

Gifting soft goals away.
Conceding late again.

That's now Millwall, QPR & Rotherham where we've coughed off goals in the last 5 minutes of games we should have long put to bed.

The first big test for VK in many months with the derby looming, and our reaction to this surprise defeat will be interesting and reveal a lot about the character of our players.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:54 am
Lets be thankful we have the points alreadyto be promoted. I would be genuinely worried if we were in January now and were playing as we have been in the last 3 games. Work for Vincent I feel
:lol:

KlyBfc

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:55 am

Well the last time we lost we played them lot straight after so hopefully well get the same outcome.

I thought VK got his subs wrong yesterday, changing two attackers at the same time seem to disjoint us (Jay and Twine) taking Maatsen off left us even narrower (no left footer to stretch the pitch at all) but arguably not bringing cork on was the biggest blunder. It seemed to me that we needed someone in that second half to just control the game, the pace and to just galvanise the lads on the pitch with a bit of experience. I also wish from time to time hed swap the wingers round to get them thinking a little more but especially when he got that many attacking bodies on late on.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am

We also don't help ourselves on some occasions when we set up with that 235 formation, with 5 attacking players standing around their 18 yard line. We completely congested their area, and when we swapped Maatsen for Obafemi it was even worse. We were also caught on the break on too many occasions with players far too high up the pitch.

We could have done with brining an extra midfielder out a bit to draw out defenders and free up space for some deeper runs. I'm afraid we rather ran out of ideas in the second half, and in truth it was only another piece of individual magic from Benson that we threatened with.

I hope for the rest of the season, and into next season, we return to the 4231 formation. I think we have a better balance.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am

We may have wasted time in the prem in the past, but my god, it was nothing compared to the levels we saw yesterday. I wish people would stop comparing it.

The worst one was in injury time when Benson crossed it in and their fullback blocked it with is chest, only to feign it hit him in the head, the ref blew straight away, more time wasted, THEN gave QPR the drop ball!!!

I'd love to know how long the ball was actually in play that second half, it must be some kind of record. Players going down with cramp after 60 minutes is just blatant cheating.

Utterly ridiculous.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am

KlyBfc wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:55 am
I thought VK got his subs wrong yesterday, changing two attackers at the same time seem to disjoint us (Jay and Twine) taking Maatsen off left us even narrower (no left footer to stretch the pitch at all) but arguably not bringing cork on was the biggest blunder. It seemed to me that we needed someone in that second half to just control the game, the pace and to just galvanise the lads on the pitch with a bit of experience. I also wish from time to time hed swap the wingers round to get them thinking a little more but especially when he got that many attacking bodies on late on.
Barnes and JBG had offered nothing much throughout the game
Jay and Twine offered even less
Agree with point on the Maatsen sub - lost any control down the left hand side

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:24 am

One thing we have learned in the last few games is that some fringe players are just not up to it at this moment and some first team players are passed it , so like I have posted earlier in the season we will have to spend wisely in the coming months if we are to stay in the premier League.

KlyBfc

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:33 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am
Barnes and JBG had offered nothing much throughout the game
Jay and Twine offered even less
Agree with point on the Maatsen sub - lost any control down the left hand side
My point wasn’t necessarily who he changed but more both at the same time. I’d have swapped JBG for twine or Jay initially then waited a bit longer for the next sub.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:37 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:54 am
But we didn't.......

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:08 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:24 am
One thing we have learned in the last few games is that some fringe players are just not up to it at this moment and some first team players are passed it , so like I have posted earlier in the season we will have to spend wisely in the coming months if we are to stay in the premier League.
Spot on
This was originally a 3/4 year plan which has come to fruition way sooner than was expected
The Championship was weak in depth this year and there will have to be some serious thought put into new players coming in this summer

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:37 pm

55 attempts at goal in the last 3 games,3 goals, and 7 points dropped out of 9. I think we know where the problems are and maybe its best this signal has come now.

Many on here will say, come on, its been a brilliant season, but from what I have read VK is a perfectionist and it was obvious he was hurting second half yesterday. Appreciate Ashley is moving on, Jay was not up to the PL last season so unlikely to make any impact two years later. That leaves Obefami and Foster. On the latter we are all hoping that the potential VK and Bellamy have seen with him, will come through. Personally I am keeping an open mind, but in the PL you just cannot keeping playing or starting a player in the hope they come good

Its going to be an interesting Summer, but having seen whats capable in the acquisition of players I am relaxed we will make some inspired signings in a goal keeper, several CM's and possibly two strikers,, with Jay & Ash finding new clubs possibly alongside Jack Cork, and a wide man to add competition

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:39 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am
We also don't help ourselves on some occasions when we set up with that 235 formation, with 5 attacking players standing around their 18 yard line. We completely congested their area, and when we swapped Maatsen for Obafemi it was even worse. We were also caught on the break on too many occasions with players far too high up the pitch.

We could have done with brining an extra midfielder out a bit to draw out defenders and free up space for some deeper runs. I'm afraid we rather ran out of ideas in the second half, and in truth it was only another piece of individual magic from Benson that we threatened with.

I hope for the rest of the season, and into next season, we return to the 4231 formation. I think we have a better balance.
Roberts was basically playing as a centre mid in the second half yesterday when there was just no need. All he was doing was getting in Cullen's way and creating less space for our attacking players.
Also agree with the poster further up who said we could have maybe done with Corks experience, we were like headless chickens in the second half.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am
:lol:
What a divvy, got to be a drunk comment! We dominated all 3 games

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:49 pm

I thought Kompany got it wrong yesterday with his subs, he will know that.
99% of the time he gets it right though.
I’d have never taken Gudmunsson off, Zaroury has been poor this year, if it was McNeil he’d have been hounded
I’m hoping Jay comes good at Ewood, he’s another that’s offered nothing for 6 months, he’s a great lad and I’d love him to go out on an ewood goal

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:53 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:37 pm
55 attempts at goal in the last 3 games,3 goals, and 7 points dropped out of 9. I think we know where the problems are and maybe its best this signal has come now.

Many on here will say, come on, its been a brilliant season, but from what I have read VK is a perfectionist and it was obvious he was hurting second half yesterday. Appreciate Ashley is moving on, Jay was not up to the PL last season so unlikely to make any impact two years later. That leaves Obefami and Foster. On the latter we are all hoping that the potential VK and Bellamy have seen with him, will come through. Personally I am keeping an open mind, but in the PL you just cannot keeping playing or starting a player in the hope they come good

Its going to be an interesting Summer, but having seen whats capable in the acquisition of players I am relaxed we will make some inspired signings in a goal keeper, several CM's and possibly two strikers,, with Jay & Ash finding new clubs possibly alongside Jack Cork, and a wide man to add competition
Had we been able to defend simple balls we would have won 2 of those games 2.0 and 1.0

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:54 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:49 pm
I’d have never taken Gudmunsson off, Zaroury has been poor this year, if it was McNeil he’d have been hounded
I’m hoping Jay comes good at Ewood, he’s another that’s offered nothing for 6 months, he’s a great lad and I’d love him to go out on an ewood goal
Zaroury was unplayable first half, so much so that QPR took off the poor bloke who was trying to mark him

The only reason we lost that is we failed to defend two set pieces and weren't clinical enough, and that is something that has become a theme in the past two games
These 2 users liked this post: jojomk1 hoskinsgoalatswansea

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Yeah did some have the Men In Black memory eraser re Zaroury’s first half performance yesterday? Second half they dealt with him better and he faded, but then so did the whole team.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:19 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:54 pm
Zaroury was unplayable first half, so much so that QPR took off the poor bloke who was trying to mark him

The only reason we lost that is we failed to defend two set pieces and weren't clinical enough, and that is something that has become a theme in the past two games
100% this! Keep doing what we are doing, sharpen up both ends of the pitch and somebody is getting a battering in the final 3 games!!

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
He’s not matched his goal scoring from pre World Cup but he got the better of their right back (who was eventually subbed off). Our issue yesterday was no one to convert crosses and desperate defending from QPR

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:04 pm

Ampth7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:19 pm
100% this! Keep doing what we are doing, sharpen up both ends of the pitch and somebody is getting a battering in the final 3 games!!
Unfortunately we don't have the additional players to sharpen up at both ends for the rest of this season

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Just watched the highlights. Our marking, or rather the lack of it, for their second was worse the terrible. There's about 4 big QPR lads near Muric and no clarets. Big throwback to early season.

Without Cork we are simply too small. We need a 6 foot defensive midfielder for next season.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:19 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
As others have said, Zaroury was absolutely superb in the first half yesterday - but that is because he was given the platform to be superb by the team. We moved QPR about and nailed the Man City ploy of giving the wide player an inside and overlap option for a pass or a decoy. As a result he had space to cross, and options for the simple ball. We tore QPR to shreds down our left as a result, and Zaroury might have had a hat trick of assists had Benson and Barnes in particular been sharper.

In the second half that changed and without those options Zaroury had more to do himself, and less space to do it in. He got a bit frustrated with himself as a result.

The interesting thing is that there is a parallel with McNeil, but it's not the one suggested. Zaroury has got 4s and 5s on the ratings thread despite being our best player (amongst many good performances) for 45 minutes. I think that reflects how a few games habe gone recently. That's because expectations are now so high that the good stuff he does is priced in, and in addition he's having to cope with being a marked man. Over expectation suffocated McNeil - let's hope that doesn't happen to Anass. Cherish the good stuff he does. There's plenty of it despite the attempts of opponents to limit him.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:31 pm

There is absolutely no comparison between Zaroury and Mc Neil in any sense of the word.
Zaroury is a much better player and that will become clear when we are in the PL
This user liked this post: sjb

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Kompany is right , the xG seems to be levelling itself up from earlier in the season, suddenly we are snatching at chances as the trophy appears on the horizon. No surprise league winners often see a tail off in the closing games once promotion is done but the league is not yet won, like Fulham and others.

That is why, sadly, we are nowhere near the best ever, inexperience.

But beneath this I do detect a failure to tactically do a Plan B, such as when they kept trying and succeeding to overpower THB. It did feel a bit like Bramall Lane at the end. It isn’t just the players who have inexperience, and that is why VK needs to keep developing with us rather than jumping too soon,
This user liked this post: RVclaret

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Dreadful finishing, since Jay was injured we've been playing without a striker.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:44 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:23 pm
When SD was in charge I remember many an opposition fan ranting on their forums after we beat them ,that ‘They’d rather be relegated “ than watch the dross we served up to win a match ,I think the boot was on the other foot today ,just looked back on the QPR forums at around 3-30pm ,and they were shitting themselves.
We never ever had theatrics like that. No chance.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:59 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:31 pm
There is absolutely no comparison between Zaroury and Mc Neil in any sense of the word.
Zaroury is a much better player and that will become clear when we are in the PL
I think there’s no comparison you’re right about that. Zaroury has much better control, skills and pace- but McNeil puts a much better ball into the box.

I guess we’ll see next year for a fairer assessment. Zaroury will be playing his first games in the Premier League and McNeil could well be playing his first games in the Championship.