Where are Clarets fans from outside of Burnley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Re: Where are Clarets fans from outside of Burnley?

Post by It Is What It Is » Tue May 16, 2023 4:15 pm

Neil wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:13 pm
Sunderland born and bred. Joined Clarets Mad about 2004 as Sunderland Neil but everyone thought I was a Sunderland fan when I posted, which was probably fair enough. Been attending games (sporadically) since 1992.
Travelled with Rawtenstall Clarets on some coach ( Ellen Smith or Ben Barnes ) to Roker Park about mid 60s. Bad traffic even then, got into ground 3.10pm ish. I was about 14 and a really avid collector of match programmes home and away. But arriving late, programme huts shut. Was standing in crowd..mixture of Burnley and Sunderland fans them days. Anyway got talking to this Sunderland fan about 16, asked him where I could buy a programme as I'd arrived late. He said " If you travelled all way up here to follow your team...here have mine". ..and gave me his programme
Never forgot that....proper football fan.
So will always have a soft spot for Sunderland and hope they join us in the Premier League!

SherbornePhil
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by SherbornePhil » Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Hi Ottclaret, not enough info for me to pinpoint who you are so apologies. See a few SW clarets of old at most games, great to see them. Glad to see you made the Bristol game 👍🏻 Despite fuel costs have to retired to being a season ticket holder for next year

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Born Burnley, brought up in Colne, Hull for Uni then London and St Albans all my working life. Always got to as many games as I could manage given work/kids etc and ST holder since the Coyle promotion. Now retired and in course of selling my place down here and moving to Barrowford. Not sure how to change username !
Happy to say my son, who lives in Brighton, is an avid Claret. He had no choice of course.
Last edited by Stalbansclaret on Tue May 16, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: It Is What It Is

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Tue May 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Hi Ottclaret, not enough info for me to pinpoint who you are so apologies. See a few SW clarets of old at most games, great to see them. Glad to see you made the Bristol game 👍🏻 Despite fuel costs have returned to being a season ticket holder for next year

ottclaret
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by ottclaret » Wed May 17, 2023 11:46 am

Hi, Sherborne Phil.

I was the one who had to change into my suit on coach to go in brother-in-laws box for a season (or two?). I now usually travel with Scud, Jen & Barney when I can get to games.

Spotted you at Ashton Gate - but too far away to get to. Glad to hear you have ST - are you teaming up with The Butcher of Sherborne again to go to games? BTW, I now live just down the road from your lads' in-laws in KM.

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 pm

ottclaret wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:46 am
Hi, Sherborne Phil.

I was the one who had to change into my suit on coach to go in brother-in-laws box for a season (or two?). I now usually travel with Scud, Jen & Barney when I can get to games.

Spotted you at Ashton Gate - but too far away to get to. Glad to hear you have ST - are you teaming up with The Butcher of Sherborne again to go to games? BTW, I now live just down the road from your lads' in-laws in KM.

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed May 17, 2023 5:42 pm

Ah Mr W, how are you? 🙂

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed May 17, 2023 5:46 pm

Heard about the chat in KM at the time, what a coincidence. Travelling up with my son, who also had a season ticket. Overnight stay in Premier Inn in Burnley these days, too far in a day for a pensioner! KM not far from Sherborne so maybe meet up for a beer? Give best wishes to Scud, Jen, Barney and any other South West Clarets.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed May 17, 2023 6:27 pm

Born in Nelson and raised in Barrowford. Live in Nelson now. Worked in Barnoldswick then Burnley for 40 years till retirement. Been a claret more or less since birth, my dad apparently took me on TM since I was a toddler, not that I can remember it.

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Wed May 17, 2023 7:09 pm

Born in Cork. As a wee lad watched the 1962 Cup Final on TV in grainy black and white. Was enamoured by the team in Claret and Blue. :lol: From then on been a Burnley supporter. Season ticket holder now.
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is S0S-1971

alpo
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by alpo » Wed May 17, 2023 9:03 pm

Dad from Hapton
Mum from Harle Syke
Born Bank Hall 1952
Moved to Birmingham 1956
First game1960 with my Dad Grandad and Uncle.
Moved to Walsall 1965
Eldest son born 1981 first game Sherpa Van Final
Youngest son born 1984 first game Stockport Play off Final

Been mostly glory for them but some hard times for me when I've thought I could play better than what I was watching. My loyalty has been repaid in full and going to games with my lads brings happiness money can't buy.

It Is What It Is

Post by It Is What It Is » Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 pm
Born and bred in Hertfordshire, it's a long story!
So what's the story then?!!!

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Thu May 18, 2023 5:30 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am
So what's the story then?!!!
1962 Cup Final - I was 7 - I remember my eldest brother (11) in tears at the final whistle. We had just got our first television and the Cup Final was the thing we all sat down to watch. Big Bro' had seen some football magazines in colour and liked the Burnley colours so he became a Burnley "fan" as a result. Trouble was his Geography wasn't very good living as we did just outside Potters Bar some 250 miles from Burnley but only 10 minutes by train to Arsenal.

The following year we went to Highbury to see Burnley win 2-3 and the die was cast, we've been Burnley fans ever since. Made some good friends from Burnley but often encountered some less welcoming types based solely on our accents.

Side effect is I've hated Spurs ever since, I mean you can't go upsetting a young impressionable lad's big brother can you.

You did ask!
These 3 users liked this post: It Is What It Is Exsus Happy medium

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu May 18, 2023 5:39 pm

Born in Burnley
Raised up Rosehill
Escaped back to Manchester in 2006
Escaped properly to Prague in 2014

It Is What It Is

Post by It Is What It Is » Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:03 pm
Born in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, it's an even longer story ! 8-)
So what's your story then??...aclaretinstevenage story was brilliant...how did you get indoctrinated as a Claret then?

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm
So what's your story then??...aclaretinstevenage story was brilliant...how did you get indoctrinated as a Claret then?
Born in Berkhamsted, Herts ( 1963 ) to a Mum & Dad originally from Nottingham, moved to Dublin at 4, at back to Nottingham at 8, when Dad's contract with Hallmark Cards meant he'd have to relocate to Kansas City. His next job meant a move down to Tunbridge Wells, but after 14 months, he came home, having quit on the spot when the owners refused to invest in a new factory. Shortly after, he was head-hunted to run Joseph Arnold & Co. in Church ...

He'd lost his Dad in the war and wherever we went he tried to take me to events, I remember the 3A's Athletics at White City, a Rugby International at Lansdowne Road as well as League of Ireland v Football League fixtures ( remember them ? ). He was a Notts County fan but in August 1975, he took me to Upton Park, to see West Ham beat Burnley 3-2 .... After this nomadic childhood, I had no particular affiliations, but loved the picture of Burnley's " V " shirts in the West Ham Programme, and settled on them .. driving back to Tunbridge Wells, Dad said " Well, I'm glad you've picked Burnley, it's very near where we've bought out house " ( Clitheroe )

Didn't see them much as I was playing Rugby on Saturdays ( for Blackburn ! ) from 1980 to 1991, when I suffered an ACL injury. By that time I was married to a Rosegrove girl, and had inherited a son ( later adopted as mine ) so season tickets were bought for the two of us and off we went ...

Some great memories, smuggling the son and heir into the Baseball Ground for the replayed replay inside my coat to a smile from the old gent on the turnstile, the Wembley trip in 1994, and getting 2 Club Wembley tickets from the Chairman of the Company I worked for at the Championship Play Offs in 2009. " Mrs Clarets4me " reckons I went from red, to deathly white and then purple during that last 10 minutes ..

It's been a great journey, all down to the " V " shirts ...
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is Exsus

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:16 pm

Blackburn

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Fri May 19, 2023 7:47 pm

Grew up in Castleford near Leeds, lived most of my life in Stockport and now live in Stafford. Home games take all day by public transport and mid-week matches are a nightmare.

Kingsleyclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Kingsleyclaret » Sat May 20, 2023 3:20 am

Dad’s from Great Harwood and a Rovers fan, mums from Clayton Le Moors and a Claret. Lived in Great Harwood when I was born but grew up in Church till I went off to Uni in Leicester in 1985. Lived in Coventry from 1988 up to 2013 when we emigrated to Perth, Western Australia.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat May 20, 2023 8:16 am

Born and raised in Burnley but living in Newcastle. About to head down the A1 and over Blubber houses this morning actually.

magyver1
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by magyver1 » Sun May 21, 2023 7:47 pm

Born In Clitheroe but always a claret
moved to South Africa and then Zimbabwe before coming back to Clitheroe
only way to stay in touch was listening to the BBC world service.
UTC

Andy_G
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Andy_G » Mon May 22, 2023 9:51 am

Burnley born and bred but now living on the south coast. I still have family in Burnley and manage to see the odd home game.

Plenty of away day opportunities next season although the match that would have been nearest, Southampton, is no longer an option.

hetheclaret
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by hetheclaret » Mon May 22, 2023 10:08 am

Born in Oxford, have only ever lived in Oxford or London. My mother grew up in Wiswell, among other places around there. My uncle began taking me to games when I was 4/5 - he was only a Burnley fan because the local grocer gave my grandmother his tickets to the football one weekend, as my grandfather had no interest. My grandmother was from a Blackburn family, so could very easily have gone the other way...

scrambledclaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by scrambledclaret » Mon May 22, 2023 10:48 am

I was born in London but my father is from Padiham. I then grew up in Sydney and now live in Berlin, but have been a Claret for as long as I can remember. My first game was in 90/91 and my most recent was QPR in April. Watching games on Clarets Plus is a bit more visceral than reading the scores in the newspaper like I did as a kid!

It Is What It Is

Post by It Is What It Is » Mon May 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Some brilliant fascinating stories on here..
Clarets fans are totally Global it would appear.
Any more North, Central & Southern American Clarets it there....or anywhere else exotic?

hetheclaret

Post by hetheclaret » Mon May 22, 2023 6:57 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:04 pm
Some brilliant fascinating stories on here..
Clarets fans are totally Global it would appear.
Any more North, Central & Southern American Clarets it there....or anywhere else exotic?
There's a village in Rwanda full of Clarets fans, hopefully...my cousin went there on a school trip and donated a load of Burnley strips (circa Owen Coyle era).

hetheclaret

Post by hetheclaret » Mon May 22, 2023 6:59 pm

Noblelight wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:13 pm
Born in Henley on Thames, lived in Oxfordshire all my life. No connection with Burnley but supported them for over 50 years.
Didn't know there were any other Clarets in Oxfordshire!

Doyt
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Doyt » Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 pm

Larne, Northern Ireland. My dad has been a Burnley fan since late 50's.

burnleysteve
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by burnleysteve » Tue May 23, 2023 1:00 pm

born at bank hall, brought up on stoops estate, now living in st. annes
These 2 users liked this post: It Is What It Is JellyBaby