Barclays

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Barclays

Post by Claretforshaw » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:18 am

My Wife's Mobile Phone App suddenly displayed an RG21K Error code, saying that Barclays had insufficient ID details to register the app. My Wife has banked with them for 32 years and has been using the app probably for a couple of years. The message displayed advised her to visit her local branch ( luckily we have one in Rochdale!), a quick google confirmed this as the error code was not recognised. As recommended we took with us three ID documents, passport, driving licence and council tax bill. The young lady attending to us, after a short wait, confirmed that the ID documents had to be updated and that for some reason my Wife had been selected for this process, she couldn't say why I hadn't. After checking with a couple of colleagues she explained that we would have to come back on Saturday, when a personal banker would be available to deal with the issue, which meant taking a photo of my Wife holding the documents, the personal banker is the only member of staff with the technology to do this !! ...........The world has gone mad !!
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Barclays

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:23 am

And at the end of all that it is your money not theirs

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:26 am

Aye, but they'll just say to you 'this is all in place to protect your money'.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 am

I’ve just checked said app and got a shock, less money there than I thought.

So difficult these days dealing with banks.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:46 am

You spelt Banker wrong !!!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:42 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:23 am
And at the end of all that it is your money not theirs
It was ...

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1188 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:55 pm

Barclays are arseholes I received a letter yesterday from them informing me that they are removing my overdraft (not that I bloody ever use the thing) on my current account, why not just leave it there in case I ever do, everything is fine when taking when giving you run into problems, same with them all.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 pm

Use barclays for wages in
Wire it out to monzo. Use that at my main
Best by far

the_great_orange_one
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by the_great_orange_one » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:00 pm

Was my first bank account but moved to first direct, never closed it but 2 years later when I switched job my old employer took wages back out of the old account!

Went to see the bank to explain the problem and they pretty much just said no issue because an employer could take back over paid wages!?! The two years was irrelevant! Closed the account there and then.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:01 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:55 pm
Barclays are arseholes I received a letter yesterday from them informing me that they are removing my overdraft (not that I bloody ever use the thing) on my current account, why not just leave it there in case I ever do, everything is fine when taking when giving you run into problems, same with them all.
I had the same thing done. I’ve been a customer for 35years, have never had a single month when my salary hasn’t been paid in, have never been overdrawn and I have a healthy savings account with them. I’m fortunate enough to be coming up for a very decent retirement so I can’t understand the risk. I’m thinking of waiting for retirement, depositing my lump sums and then buggering off to open an account with their competitors.

the_great_orange_one

Post by the_great_orange_one » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:06 pm

They are all as bad as each other though.

Halifax account I moved house so went on line and filled in the form and sent it off to change the address. Answer came back that they didn’t have my signature on file so couldn’t accept it I would have to ho into a branch with 3 types of I’d including photo. Went too branch and they changed it without even looking at id! Made all the more incompetent as the house I moved to my mortgage was with Halifax!

I have a business Santander account and I popped into branch to deposit a cheque but was told I had to wait to see the manager, weird! Waited for 15mins and was taken to the office to be told that it should have been posted as it was a business chq but they would take it!?! So why make me wait, yep started to try and sell me other services I was livid as they wasted my time.

Banks are great until they go wrong

the_great_orange_one

Post by the_great_orange_one » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:08 pm

Unfortunately that is the problem, it costs the bank to give the overdraft facility as they need to hold capital just in case it is used. If you never use it costs the bank money as that capital can’t be deployed else where

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:20 pm

My Atom current account has just gone up to 3.95% interest. Not bad!

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:29 pm

Holmeclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:01 pm
I had the same thing done. I’ve been a customer for 35years, have never had a single month when my salary hasn’t been paid in, have never been overdrawn and I have a healthy savings account with them. I’m fortunate enough to be coming up for a very decent retirement so I can’t understand the risk. I’m thinking of waiting for retirement, depositing my lump sums and then buggering off to open an account with their competitors.
What’s the problem if you never use it and have a very decent retirement coming up?

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:55 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:55 pm
Same here - I rang them to query the decision (I like the ‘safety net’ idea) and their explanation at they have a duty to protect me from going into debt that I can’t afford! I’ve banked with them since 1975 and never got into trouble.
However, the sweetener offered was that I can borrow up to £10,000 if I need a safety net. At 6% !!

So much for their duty of care.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:30 pm

Holmeclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:01 pm
Won't make any difference, they've all colluded & will charge the same fees & make you jump through the same type of hoops.......
.......Anyone remember when they wanted your money & would pay interest to get it?...they were friendly too.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:34 pm

My bank sent me a notice that my deposit box fee was now due...(it was always taken out automatically before).......they charged a $10 documentation fee to send it.
I spent 30 minutes in the bank to get the fee reversed......they're taking the **** these days.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:22 am

If you think Barclays are useless, consider yourselves lucky your account isn’t with Virgin Money. Incompetent, useless and couldn’t care less.
This user liked this post: JellyBaby

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:24 am

Suratclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:22 am
If you think Barclays are useless, consider yourselves lucky your account isn’t with Virgin Money. Incompetent, useless and couldn’t care less.
I moved from them to barclays after YB was taken over by em

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1188 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:51 am

Dougall wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:55 pm
Same here - I rang them to query the decision (I like the ‘safety net’ idea) and their explanation at they have a duty to protect me from going into debt that I can’t afford! I’ve banked with them since 1975 and never got into trouble.
However, the sweetener offered was that I can borrow up to £10,000 if I need a safety net. At 6% !!

So much for their duty of care.
I've always banked with Barclays, the letter I received stated that they regularly review overdraft limits to make sure customers don't borrow more than is manageable, I'm not sure how that scenario is likely on the basis that I've never used it & unlikely to. You are correct they don't seem as responsible & overly concerned if you start taking a loan out with an interest rate.

Squidgy
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Squidgy » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:34 am

I used The Yorkshire Bank to open a small account when I set up a business as a home maintenance company. I was a sole trader. Must be honest I set it up as a personal account as I knew they’d charge me otherwise.
After 4 years I was called in to a private office where a young man of about 25 ( I was 53 ) stated their systems had highlighted the fact it appeared to be a business account.
I admitted it was so with much joy he informed me he would change it to a business account.
I asked him to immediately close the account instead. He stated there was no need as he would creat a business account. He admitted charges would be levied so I again asked that the account which had always had a four figure credit balance and never been overdrawn.
So instead of him getting the credit of opening a new business account he faced losing a customer. After 35 minutes discussion he agreed to leave things as they were. It remained a private account for another 4 years.
Utter madness.

Claretforshaw

Post by Claretforshaw » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Update, we duly went back to the branch today to see the personal banker who had the equipment to photograph my wife holding up the ID documentation. She had called in sick and there was no other personal banker available but I could try to see someone at the Bury branch or go back on Monday . Well the conclusion is The world has gone mad and I have spelt Banker wrong !!

Muric Leggings
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Muric Leggings » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:13 pm

If you want a good bank with no hassle switch to First Direct they are a joy to deal with.

Claretforshaw

Post by Claretforshaw » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:33 pm

Maybe Bank of Dave ? 😊

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2037 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:08 pm

4midable wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 pm
Use barclays for wages in
Wire it out to monzo. Use that at my main
Best by far
I use Monzo too. Great bank compared to most and they will advance any BACS payment 24 hours early for free

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:06 pm

Barclay's were my first account decades ago, it became a joint account on marriage, used it for paying bills mostly, salaries went in there for a few years, then opened a different account with a different bank when we moved overseas the first time. Salaries to the new account but always funds from there to Barclays and paying bills, over time have ended up with several bank accounts in the UK & the US, never been in overdraft at any bank but have many facilities approved by them. I always used the same branch in Burnley for checks etc. but when we moved to Ascot for an assignment I started using the Ascot branch and had a US address, which was never a problem for any UK bank, however Barclay's started asking me to complete documents about my earnings and residency, plus Tax Status. I always had to fill in extra documents for the IRS regarding my bank holdings in the UK, and I informed Barclay's for several years I wouldn't fill the doc's as I had completed the IRS's requirements, which they claimed is why they needed the info. The last five years I just ignored their letters after finally telling them to stop sending them to me as I wouldn't fill it in!

Last month they sent me a letter asking me to close my account, transferred all funds but 15 pence to TSB, switched the SO's to TSB, who have never once sent me the documentation that Barclay's claim is a legal requirement for any bank in the UK, anyway it's over now and TSB has been fine for me, just a checking account and a savings account with very little in it but it's there for when we visit the UK these days.

I have got very anti-banks over that few years and I do the absolute least possible with them, but I do have managed/brokerage funds in the US and obviously bank accounts for everyday usage with very little in them and no funds in savings accounts.