Cornwall Advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Cornwall Advice

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:04 pm

I'll be a first time visitor for a week in mid August.

Taking the car and had planned to move around a bit to see as much as possible.

Will be camping for the most part (established sites and/or nearly wild camping) but might have an odd night in a guest house / hotel / b and b to break it up a bit.

Wanting to enjoy the long days exploring the area (towns and remote beaches alike) / enjoy some good food / find local suppliers to cook some local produce ourselves and generally unwind.

If anyone has any pointers at all we're all ears. It's currently a bit of a daunting exercise to start planning the trip and book places to stay without anything much to go on other than follow the coastline.

Would even consider a recommendation for an overnight stop off to break the journey up. Travelling from Newcastle.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Re: Cornwall Advice

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:11 pm

Harlyn Sands - lovely site, but very popular and may be fully booked. Good north cornwall location and close to Padstow.

Will be very busy and probably have trouble travelling, I think the main aterial road A30 has lots of roadworks this year

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Eden Project, Lost Gardens of Heligan, St Michaels Mount, Geevor Tin Mines ... to name but a few attractions

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:25 pm

Great campsite at Treen, wonderful beaches around there like Pedn Vounder and Porthgwarra. Minnack Theatre across Porthcurno Beach, Lands End a few miles away. Great beach walks to the Logan Rock, and some nice pubs. If you end up at St Michaels Mount then make sure you have a pasty from Philps, best in Cornwall in my opinion.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:34 pm

if you plan to camp near Falmouth try Penwarne (near Mawnan Smith), no frills but a great camp site.

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:37 pm

Have lived in Cornwall for over 30 years and am still finding great places to visit. The county will be very busy and roadworks on the A30 will cause delays so finding a “base” may be best. Two such areas you may wish to consider are the Roseland and Porthleven. Both have lots to offer in terms of walks, beaches, places to eat etc.Hope this helps, happy to give more details if needed.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:48 pm

Polperro is picturesque. The Three Pilchards has good food and a great beer garden which has views over the harbour. Narrow streets so park at the big car park at the beginning of the village From Polperro you can also walk to or take a boat to Looe

SherbornePhil
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by SherbornePhil » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:48 pm

We own a static on Mother Ivey’s Bay nr Padstow and can recommend that (if you can get in), excellent, clean uncluttered camping, stunning beach and simple. 11 o’clock curfew, shop but thankfully (for us) no bar, swimming pool etc. The golf club is a nice fifteen minute walk and does excellent, if pricey food, and is a great unpretentious but stylish place to relax for a couple of beers and a great view across the course to the sea. From MIB you can walk straight onto the coastal path , left to Constantine Bay, on to Treyarnan ( where there is a YHA overlooking the beach, serves food and drink and has a pizza shack as well as onsite food).Might be an option if you need a bed. Never stayed but have often wanted to. Further on is Redruthen Steps, has a good cafe and you can walk on the cliff tops where they filmed Poldark.

Go right from MIB and you can walk past Harlyn Sands (mentioned above) to Harlyn Bay, on to Trevose and then even further in Padstow if you are up for it. Stunning beaches. Again Padstow tends to be heaving.

It is August, can be silly busy in the coastal towns and tbh I don’t think you will see Cornwall at its best but it can still be stunning. Walking along the coast smaller, quieter beaches to be found but be careful in the water. Look for local advice/availability of lifeguards. Learn about stuff like rip tides.

Can really recommend a day trip to Fowey as well and a trip across the ferry from Padstow to Rock just for a wander.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:13 pm

Kynance Cove is a must in my opinion - on the right day (with the right tide!) the greatest beach in the UK with the most stunning scenery I’ve seen in this country. It’s a bit of a scramble down and back again from the car park (very rocky in places) but once you’re down there you would have a fantastic day. Its got a nice little cafe selling local beers and cream teas as well.

Other things I’d recommend:

Verdant Brewery. My favourite brewery in the UK with some fantastic IPA’s, DIPA’s and the like. If you’re into your ale then ensure you stop at one of their two bars in Cornwall.

St Ives, Padstow, Looe, Mousehole are all beautiful towns to visit - there are far too many to list really. If you’re driving then I’d personally recommend for St Ives parking at one of the train stations a couple of stops up and getting the train in (parking is horrendous) and also Padstow (and Newquay for that matter) offers a good park and ride bus service outside of the town. Again, you’ll regret trying to park so I’d recommend it.

Eden Project is a great visit, properly breathtaking when you first see the domes. The climate differences (I.e, Mediterranean, Rainforest etc) between the domes are really well done. There’s also a mental zip wire you can do over the domes if you fancy something a bit more extreme.

Healys Cider Farm - A fun time, even for kids! I love Rattler so that was the main reason for my visit truth be told, but tractor rides around the orchards and other fun activities kept my daughter occupied!

Callestick Ice Cream - My favourite ice cream in the UK and their dairy farm is brilliant for kids if you’re going with any. Big adventure playground outside and some really unique flavours to try. We stop here far too many times on the way back from other places…

Minack Theatre - Unsure if anything is on whilst you’re there but again, will take your breath away. Im not a theatre goer generally, but myself, my Wife and Daughter watched A Midsummer Nights Dream here in 2021 and honestly the view almost brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely incredible (the theatre is impossible to explain sufficiently, Google it!).

Have a great time - I only went for the first time to Cornwall in 2021 when lockdown lifted and we were staying in the UK for a staycation. I can truly say it opened my eyes to how fantastic a holiday in this country can be. What a stunning place, been back twice since and going next year too.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:43 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:11 pm
Harlyn Sands - lovely site, but very popular and may be fully booked. Good north cornwall location and close to Padstow.

Will be very busy and probably have trouble travelling, I think the main aterial road A30 has lots of roadworks this year
nice spot but noisy clubhouse, tent plots about 2 inches apart. ok if your neighbours are considerate, but far too many ***** ruining the experience when we were down

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:59 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:13 pm
Verdant Brewery. My favourite brewery in the UK with some fantastic IPA’s, DIPA’s and the like. If you’re into your ale then ensure you stop at one of their two bars in Cornwall.
You have great taste Jedi. All my beer comes from Verdant. They deliver crates to your door next day (used to be free, now £5 delivery). A big fan of Marylou, Sundialer, People Money Space Time & Lightbulb, amongst others.

Also St Ives gets the thumbs up from me, but you can barely go wrong in Cornwall 👍🏻
This user liked this post: jedi_master

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:14 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:59 pm
You have great taste Jedi. All my beer comes from Verdant. They deliver crates to your door next day (used to be free, now £5 delivery). A big fan of Marylou, Sundialer, People Money Space Time & Lightbulb, amongst others.

Also St Ives gets the thumbs up from me, but you can barely go wrong in Cornwall 👍🏻
20 Watt Moon, Even Sharks Need Water, Putty and Lightbulb for me but truthfully enjoyed everything I’ve had from them (I partake in the online service too :D).

littlemissclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by littlemissclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:14 am

Off the top of my head...
Dozens of beaches, too many to list, among the most beautiful anywhere in the world. Massive tides, so check out the tide times to see at low tide. Ask 20 people for their favourite and you'll get 20 different answers. Look at Google maps in Satellite mode...
National Trust Car Parks (eg: Trevose Head) free to members with card.
Tintagel/Port Isaac(Doc Martin)/Polzeath/Rock stretch all worth a visit.
South coast harbours/towns - Mousehole, St Michaels Mount, Porthleven, Mevagissey, Falmouth, St Mawes, Polperro.
Tin mine heritage sites.
I like Lands End!

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:48 am

All of the above advice is good, but you should try to see Sennen Cove late afternoon on a sunny day. It's close to Lands End but just a beautiful spot.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:15 am

Bring a raincoat.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:44 am

Eden project is at its best when avoided

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2697 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 am

How many of you are there wnp?

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:57 am

If you're eating out, I'd hugely recommend Travaskis Farm near Hayle. Absolutely wonderful food and location with the majority of stuff on the menu either grown or reared on the farm.

Another nod here to Healeys Cyder farm, nice trip out, and suprisingly nice cider whiskey in the tour!

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:59 am

I’ll second what Jedi has recommended. We usually go down to Hayle in May and September, not done either this year due to waiting for an operation, we’re really missing it. Hopefully we’ll get back there. So do get to as many as places as you can, it’s worth mapping it out otherwise you’ll be backwards and forwards crossing your own path. My wife’s favourite has always been Kynance Cove, I have too many to mention. Hope you have good weather, enjoy every moment.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:05 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:43 pm
nice spot but noisy clubhouse, tent plots about 2 inches apart. ok if your neighbours are considerate, but far too many ***** ruining the experience when we were down
been going for years since I was a kid in the 70's, but not been for about 6 years. Was always great for me and my family, it's a shame if it's got like that.

Kynance Cove - very picturesque however also mental to get parked if it's high season - go very early if you want to spend any time there. I suppose the same can be said about most popular places too.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:21 am

So many beautiful places to visit.

We love the southern coastal areas, Mevagissey, Fowey, Sy Michael's Mount.
If you fancy something g a bit off the main tourist areas, Launceston and area is also lovely.
We visited a few years back when I was tracing my ancestors.
A lot of Burnley families have their roots in Cornwall after the tin mines closed a lot of the miners were lured up to the coal mines of East Lancashire.
Indeed there was an area in Burnley (Rose grove I think?) that got the name Little Cornwall. There was a lot of unrest as the Tin miners hadn't realised that they had been given jobs to break a strike in the Burnley mines

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:01 am

Don't use Sat nav i have been told , if that helps .
We were there last year as the wife always wanted to visit the Eden project , hey worked well for us no traffic coming from Bristol and an easy run .

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:08 am

1968claret wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:21 am
Indeed there was an area in Burnley (Rose grove I think?) that got the name Little Cornwall. There was a lot of unrest as the Tin miners hadn't realised that they had been given jobs to break a strike in the Burnley mines
Yeah, the area round Stoops & Hargher Clough before the estates were built.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:25 am

Wooda site at Bude is a good un. Bude beaches/surf are super - used to hang ten there deades ago, before getting old and knackered

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:48 am

Tribesmen wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:01 am
Don't use Sat nav i have been told , if that helps .
We were there last year as the wife always wanted to visit the Eden project , hey worked well for us no traffic coming from Bristol and an easy run .
The sat nav issue is very real, I’ve been caught driving down lanes not fit fit purpose - wing mirrors touching both sides, no chanc of passing for 11 minute drive! You can use Sat nav but set for major roads. Most small roads are fine but …..

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:06 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 am
How many of you are there wnp?
Just two of us.

Great suggestions so far so many thanks for all replies.

I thinking finding decent camp sites at this stafe is gonna be the challenge.

Nearly wild camping with fires allowed would be welcome suggestions if anyone is aware of any of those?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:35 pm

SherbornePhil wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:48 am
The sat nav issue is very real, I’ve been caught driving down lanes not fit fit purpose - wing mirrors touching both sides, no chanc of passing for 11 minute drive! You can use Sat nav but set for major roads. Most small roads are fine but …..
Yep, some interesting roads, grass down the middle, high hedges on both sides, no passing place for miles - you better be good at reversing!

get stuck in tracy
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by get stuck in tracy » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:59 pm

Would reiterate what Jedi said, Minack is jaw dropping, had the added bonus there watching basking sharks out at sea. Mega.

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:11 pm

Well I just had to reply didn’t I . I lived in Cornwall for over 30 years so know my way around. August you’re going, tut tut, will be heaving everywhere especially if the weather is good, tbh the best time to visit is actually may or September especially. As others have alluded to there’s so many beautiful places to see from one end to the other so what I will say is some places to not bother with or avoid. Newquay for starters, great coastline but the town is dated , st Austell much the same. Car parks( if you can get in one) are expensive. Bodmin is best seen from the A30 as you drive past it.. enjoy your time there, as said already too many tourists in august so you won’t see Cornwall at it’s best

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:14 pm

Agreed, May June and September best months but obviously for families not possible.

Re Minack Theatre, absolutely stunning on a lovely evening, the performance is almost irrelevant. Need that good weather though.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:53 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:35 pm
Yep, some interesting roads, grass down the middle, high hedges on both sides, no passing place for miles - you better be good at reversing!
Hey boreings is what they are called over here to some others call them motorways in Ireland :D

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:35 pm
In 2022 I was driving us towards Mawgan Porth beach (single track road, miles between passing places - standard Cornwall stuff!) with a line of traffic behind me. I am climbing a hill and what appears in front of me coming over the top? A flat bed lorry carrying A HOUSE. I had to reverse about 9 miles, as did all of the cars behind me, with a house coming towards me until we all reversed one by one into a farms entry road.

After that experience, no driving anywhere bothers me!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:43 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm
In 2022 I was driving us towards Mawgan Porth beach (single track road, miles between passing places - standard Cornwall stuff!) with a line of traffic behind me. I am climbing a hill and what appears in front of me coming over the top? A flat bed lorry carrying A HOUSE. I had to reverse about 9 miles, as did all of the cars behind me, with a house coming towards me until we all reversed one by one into a farms entry road.

Good job you weren't towing a caravan or anything 😅

We've just booked 5 nights in Newquay in August, jam butties for a while 😁 Will look through these suggestions thanks

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:25 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:06 pm
Just two of us.

Great suggestions so far so many thanks for all replies.

I thinking finding decent camp sites at this stafe is gonna be the challenge.

Nearly wild camping with fires allowed would be welcome suggestions if anyone is aware of any of those?
I'm kinda guessing you might not be totally a "" brown sign"" punter then wnp.

I've wild camped pretty much all round the south west coast in recent years and never had any issues..my own particular favourite spot is the headland between penberth and Porthcurno.. Just a stunning area and close enough to penzance to get supplies/eat out/drink etc.

Personally I'd avoid Lands End like the plague.. Its as tacky as you'll find anywhere in the country. Mousehole is another crowded tourist trap, as is St Ives on a bigger scale.
My favourite beach is a tiny little place.. St Levans, just west of Porthcurno. Isolated but very dramatic. Praa Sands is a good open spacious beach with scope to camp wild on either side.

Don't drive down during the day on a friday.
Or back.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:35 pm

PS..if you think about jumping on the ferry to the Scillies for a few days, let me know and I'll talk you through ways to make it easy and cheaper.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:57 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:14 pm

It must be a Mawgan Porth thing. I have just come back from there and I was driving inland from the beach along the road towards Retorrick Mill when myself and about 5 other cars were confronted by a big red double decker bus.

Oh and Retorrick Mill might’ve a good call for the wild campers.😳
This user liked this post: jedi_master

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:04 pm

Personally I think you want your head examining. Everywhere will be mobbed.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:08 pm

LS7 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:04 pm
Personally I think you want your head examining. Everywhere will be mobbed.
Not everywhere

The tourist honey traps maybe, but there's far more to Cornwall than them.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:44 pm

Corky wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:57 pm
It must be a Mawgan Porth thing. I have just come back from there and I was driving inland from the beach along the road towards Retorrick Mill when myself and about 5 other cars were confronted by a big red double decker bus.

Oh and Retorrick Mill might’ve a good call for the wild campers.😳
Happens at least once every thirty minutes between Padstow and Newquay. And travelling on those buses can sometimes be “quite interesting”.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:35 pm

fatboy47, I’ve contemplated the idea of driving to Cornwall, solely for the purpose of sea bird watching at Porthgwarra, in Aug/Sept. At that time of year the chance of finding somewhere to stay is slim. Have you any knowledge of nearby bed and breakfast places in that area. Or someone who preferably may have a caravan I could use as a base. I will also keep the idea of getting in touch with you, regarding travel to the Scillies, which is another birding hotspot around October.

fatboy47

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 pm

Bfc wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:35 pm
fatboy47, I’ve contemplated the idea of driving to Cornwall, solely for the purpose of sea bird watching at Porthgwarra, in Aug/Sept. At that time of year the chance of finding somewhere to stay is slim. Have you any knowledge of nearby bed and breakfast places in that area. Or someone who preferably may have a caravan I could use as a base. I will also keep the idea of getting in touch with you, regarding travel to the Scillies, which is another birding hotspot around October.
Porthgwarra is a beautiful spot..great choice.. The coastline from there east to pz or west to Lands End is stunning. Obviously camping at Treen is perfect for there.. But if that really isn't your bag I'm sure that from early September you'll get b&b easily in pz.
There's lots of places, and lots of choice. Avoid the Yacht and The Stanley like the plague... But all the places on Alexander Road are good and in a leafy peaceful location. Chy-an-Mor is a nice place run by a lovely lass a bit nearer the town....and Stacey at Honeydew runs a nice place too.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:06 pm

I’m in Bude for a week at the end of September. Any other recommendations on top of the excellent ones on this thread are appreciated.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by expoultryboy » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:11 pm

I'm in Looe in a few weeks time . We always enjoy fish and chips on Mevagissey harbour and then a visit to Charlestown for a headland walk .

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:12 pm

MDWat wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:06 pm
I’m in Bude for a week at the end of September. Any other recommendations on top of the excellent ones on this thread are appreciated.
Tintagel and Boscastle both near to Bude - Tintagel for Athurian legend stuff (need to be able to walk steep slopes!) and Boscastle for Witchcraft Museum - interesting at least.

we found this website a good resource for find activities though https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/
This user liked this post: MDWat

Dawlishclaret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 502 times

Post by Dawlishclaret » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:15 pm

Coastal Valley Camping and Crafts is our go to site in Cornwall. Small, spotless loos and handy for Watergate Bay and Mawgan Porth if you are into bodyboarding or surfing.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:37 pm

Have stayed at Killigarth Manor nr Polperro a couple of times (using John Fowler Holidays) great for walks on the Coastal path down to Talland Bay (and also into Polperro)