Belgian GP

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Re: Belgian GP

Post by Stanbill05 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:37 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:40 pm
Tis the most boring season of F1 that I can ever remember. Ironic that attempts to make the racing closer, have had exactly the opposite effect

If it carries on like this, then the only people who will care will be those "influencers" sat in Jacuzzis on fake Miami beaches. And all they will care about is how they look on TV

It really is losing its soul
All true, the spend cap could mean it takes years for teams to catch red bull. Not sure F1 will survive being this uncompetitive. We've had dominant cars before, but never like this.

Caballo
Been Liked: 425 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:51 am

Could very possibly be rinse and repeat until the next big technical change in 2026. By which time we may well have 20 races a season in US and teams will score points based on the number of instagram followers their 'guests' have on raceday.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:49 am

At the end of the day it's more about the car than the driver. Hamilton and Verstappen both great drivers who have both had superior cars at different times. F1 is competely boring when it comes to exciting racing, the cars are too fragile and usually any contact will put out one or both cars. Then there are ridiculous penalties (like yesterday) which doesn't encourage close racing.

The best racing for many years was World Superbikes but they've even managed to ruin that with the rule changes which benefit Ducati (money talks) and now we have the same situation there with Ducati and Bautista. They could quite easily fix it by removing the rev limit from Kawasaki and Yamaha but they choose not to.

Most surprisingly I've been watching the Formula E this season and found it quite fascinating with some amazing racing and tactics. Definitely one for next season.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:21 am

Firthy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:49 am
F1 is competely boring when it comes to exciting racing
At the moment perhaps, but can be gripping like no other motorsport when there are closely competing teams with a genuine chance of winning.
This user liked this post: Jjjack

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:04 am

I don't like why dominance in sport but give me Toto end Lewis any day over 'smug' Christian and 'I don't need any fans' Max.

Reminds me of the Vettel era but to be fair to Seb he is far more respectful than Max.

Still, it's nice to see Ricciardo back. The sport needs more characters and less drones.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:27 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:04 am
I don't like why dominance in sport but give me Toto end Lewis any day over 'smug' Christian and 'I don't need any fans' Max.

Reminds me of the Vettel era but to be fair to Seb he is far more respectful than Max.

Still, it's nice to see Ricciardo back. The sport needs more characters and less drones.
Agree with most of your post but comparing the Vettel” era” to Max?? Vettel had a car so superior pretty much any driver could have won in it . While Seb was a good intelligent driver , Max has the “all time great level “ sheer raw speed of Lewis, matched with say the pure car control of a Kimi/Alonso/Senna . He’s a long way to go to reach “ all time “ levels though .

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:13 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:27 am
Agree with most of your post but comparing the Vettel” era” to Max?? Vettel had a car so superior pretty much any driver could have won in it . While Seb was a good intelligent driver , Max has the “all time great level “ sheer raw speed of Lewis, matched with say the pure car control of a Kimi/Alonso/Senna . He’s a long way to go to reach “ all time “ levels though .
Whilst Max is certainly talented it's really not that different now to how it used to be. If all attention and development was focused on Perez he would also be able to win the championship.

The way development works is often focused on a single driver and as much as we don't want it to be the case 90% is still about the car.

Red Bull is built around Max the same as it was with Seb. Max is winning and dominant the same way Seb was. Give the same backing to any driver can win like that.

Times when drivers make a difference is when you have more evenly matched cars from different teams like Lewis and Max two seasons back.