Love Football. Protect The Game.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Love Football. Protect The Game.

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:45 pm

Please read the following from the Football Supporters Association

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/football-uni ... r-2023-24/

and this from the Premier League on the increase in tragedy abuse at grounds

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3611507

Each and everyone of us who attends football matches can help.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Colburn_Claret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Re: Love Football. Protect The Game.

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:48 pm

I presume this would include chants such as 'Walker's in a box'?
This user liked this post: daveisaclaret

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:53 pm

All around great initiative. I doubt much will change with relation to drugs at games because the resources to police it just don't exist, but they're saying the right things. Clamping down harder on pyro is long overdue and we'll be better off if that works.

And as above, a clear marker in time for Burnley fans to stop mocking the death of Jack Walker.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1105 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:07 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:53 pm
All around great initiative. I doubt much will change with relation to drugs at games because the resources to police it just don't exist, but they're saying the right things. Clamping down harder on pyro is long overdue and we'll be better off if that works.

And as above, a clear marker in time for Burnley fans to stop mocking the death of Jack Walker.
You consider Jack Walker dying was comparable to Heysel, Munich or the stabbing of 2 fans in Istanbul? Besides, if they can't police the drug-taking, standing, threatening behaviour, racist chants etc., what chance do they have for stopping several hundred, if not more, fans from revelling in the fact that the guy who bought them a League title is unable to do so any longer? Maybe some stewards will see it as an easy win and haul of a couple of people for 'remedial counselling' but that may be enough to incite violence against said stewards - which seems to be a heck of a price to pay for an easy-win.

This is real life, not a Utopia.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3768 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:09 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:07 pm
You consider Jack Walker dying was comparable to Heysel, Munich or the stabbing of 2 fans in Istanbul? Besides, if they can't police the drug-taking, standing, threatening behaviour, racist chants etc., what chance do they have for stopping several hundred, if not more, fans from revelling in the fact that the guy who bought them a League title is unable to do so any longer? Maybe some stewards will see it as an easy win and haul of a couple of people for 'remedial counselling' but that may be enough to incite violence against said stewards - which seems to be a heck of a price to pay for an easy-win.

Might be good to make real life a bit nicer though.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:20 pm

I want to be able to go to a football game and cheer on my team. I want to be able to do this while sitting or standing alongside other fans who are there to cheer on their team. I don't want it to be necessary to segregate fans into different sections of the ground, home fans in one area, away fans in the other. Many of us chat with opposing fans when we are walking to the ground before a game or leaving the stadium afterwards. It shouldn't matter who has lost and who has won to our behaviour. Yes, elated by victory, disappointed by defeat, but respectful to our opponents at all times. That's how we can protect the game.

UTC
These 6 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret Whitgord Spindles Jimmymaccer dsr Colburn_Claret

Spindles
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Spindles » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:55 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:07 pm
... Maybe some stewards will see it as an easy win and haul of a couple of people for 'remedial counselling' but that may be enough to incite violence against said stewards - which seems to be a heck of a price to pay for an easy-win.

And with this expectation of fan behaviour from a presumed attending fan, it's no wonder people outside the sport think we're all knuckledragging thugs. 🙄

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:49 pm

Of course these iniatives make sense and should be supported, but I don't want all the edge sanitising out of the game. Quite enjoy irrationally despising certain teams, I'll never get close to abusing anyone, but don't want back slaps all round either.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:01 pm

Stanbill05 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:49 pm
Of course these iniatives make sense and should be supported, but I don't want all the edge sanitising out of the game. Quite enjoy irrationally despising certain teams, I'll never get close to abusing anyone, but don't want back slaps all round either.
I wouldn't worry. Does anyone think it will really make any difference .... like the 'Respect' badges footballers wore.

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:05 pm

Is there some nuance to the Jack Walker chant other than, “Ha, you’re dead!” I don’t get why people are so protective of it when it feels much better to chant something positive about your own team/players, than a song about a guy who died 23 years ago and who has nothing to do with BFC. I don’t get offended by it, it’s just a sh1t song.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:14 pm

davideyresleftear wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:05 pm
Is there some nuance to the Jack Walker chant other than, “Ha, you’re dead!” I don’t get why people are so protective of it when it feels much better to chant something positive about your own team/players, than a song about a guy who died 23 years ago and who has nothing to do with BFC. I don’t get offended by it, it’s just a sh1t song.
I mean he actually did - post the other week showing that Walker Steel used to sponsor Burnley from time to time.

I think it’s an extremely distasteful, mindless chant if honest - needs totally binning.

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:17 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:14 pm
I mean he actually did - post the other week showing that Walker Steel used to sponsor Burnley from time to time.
Fair play, I didn’t know that. Doesn’t do the song any favours though