Lancashire League Cricket

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: Lancashire League Cricket

Post by CleggHall » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:33 pm

Worsley Cup winners and league runners up, I’ll take that for Littleborough!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32548 times
Has Liked: 5280 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:33 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:31 pm
I wonder how many titles The Mighty House have won. Must be at least 20 eh CT
Also 3 titles in last 4 years rather disproves the comment that they are the leading local team.
Excuse me, but don't include me in your childish attacks. It's not so long since you asked for threads on Lancs League cricket to be banned on here.
This user liked this post: Bigbopper

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:39 pm

It's amusing and a little disingenuous of BCC fans criticising efforts to get the game to the wider public whilst on many weekends this season (and the last few) It's been virtually impossible to get any updates from their home games. On several occasions their result on the official website hasn't come in until the day after. Their social media presence also leaves a lot to be desired.
On the field they have been narrowly the better team but off the field there is light years of difference.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:33 pm
Excuse me, but don't include me in your childish attacks. It's not so long since you asked for threads on Lancs League cricket to be banned on here.
Just replying to your disparaging reply to my post earlier in the thread but I guess this is a one way street.

Blue Skies
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Blue Skies » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:50 pm

SF whilst your comments about BCC and their Social Media may be true and relevant criticism the game is not played on there. It is played on grass and 3 Championships in the last 4 played means their sporting model must be close to doing something right. In the late 70s they were criticised for replacing Mud with sub pros like Joel Garner, Garth Le Roux etc but most of this comes from the "green eyed monster" 3 wins in the last 4 is no fluke however narrowly you want to call it!!
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:57 pm

Looks to me like Lowerhouse are a bit of a Chelsea in that they had some moderate success about a decade ago and now they are just a mid table, irrelevant side finishing where you’d expect them to historically.

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Some of the posters on here from BCC come across as a really bitter bunch although I suspect the majority of their supporters are fine ( even Shappy)

One massive difference between the clubs is that LCC and their off field volunteers have to work extremely hard to keep the club afloat. Whereas BCC are in the fortunate position of having the football club as a cash cow ( not a criticism) For some to then come on here and bitch because the live stream was for once of poor quality is laughable.Of course if they bothered to go to the game and stump up the cash then the stream would not matter.

Congratulations to Burnley on their victory especially to Ocki and his family who are really nice people.

UTH

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:44 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:22 pm
Some of the posters on here from BCC come across as a really bitter bunch
Oh, the irony!

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:06 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:44 pm
Oh, the irony!
I doubt you know the meaning of the word. You need to understand the difference between banter and bitterness. Your good self and FCBurnley could benefit from some type of therapy to rid you of your obsession with the House.

UTH

Mondsley
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Mondsley » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:31 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:33 pm
Worsley Cup winners and league runners up, I’ll take that for Littleborough!
Me too Cleggy!! And T20 runners up as well :D
This user liked this post: CleggHall

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:34 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:06 pm
I doubt you know the meaning of the word. You need to understand the difference between banter and bitterness. Your good self and FCBurnley could benefit from some type of therapy to rid you of your obsession with the House.

UTH
You reap what you sow

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 pm

I presume FCBurnley and stayingdown were 2 of the 12 Burnley fans in attendance at Lowerhouse yesterday to see their team lift the trophy seen as you're so vocal about how good they are?

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:45 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 pm
I presume FCBurnley and stayingdown were 2 of the 12 Burnley fans in attendance at Lowerhouse yesterday to see their team lift the trophy seen as you're so vocal about how good they are?
It really was odd how few BCC supporters turned up at Lowerhouse on Sunday. I've often mentioned the lack of support at their home games but to not turn up to see them potentially win the league was just strange. I've seen more BCC supporters when playing at House than at the corresponding game at TM in seasons past and yet this time very few turned up. Why?
Going off this post in the last few days I can only conclude that they have plenty of hangers on who are happy to give it the gob to House regulars when the wind is set fair but won't actually go and watch them.
Just can't take them serious :D

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:53 am

I wonder if Rovers fans consoled themselves in the same way back in April?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:51 am

Some House members seem to be coping and some seem to be struggling. Do they give out a trophy at the awards night for crowds ?

Coming across as very anti Burnley is a really weird look. If you went on the Turf and found yourself shouting "Come on Burnley" for 90 minutes and at full time you came out and Lowerhouse were playing Burnley would you find yourself shouting "f off Burnley" as for hangers on does Lowerhouse not have a football team, I mean it could come across as some want to go to the best football team rather than their local one, when you adopt such an anti Burnley stance in one sport but not the other there must be some reason why.

Two team Tommys are never a good look :D

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:43 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:51 am
Some House members seem to be coping and some seem to be struggling. Do they give out a trophy at the awards night for crowds ?

Coming across as very anti Burnley is a really weird look. If you went on the Turf and found yourself shouting "Come on Burnley" for 90 minutes and at full time you came out and Lowerhouse were playing Burnley would you find yourself shouting "f off Burnley" as for hangers on does Lowerhouse not have a football team, I mean it could come across as some want to go to the best football team rather than their local one, when you adopt such an anti Burnley stance in one sport but not the other there must be some reason why.

I’ve seen you push this strange logic previously on this board.

It’s the equivalent of saying that everyone in Liverpool, should support Liverpool because they bear the name of the city in which they live, similar Birmingham, Glasgow etc.

In fact Liverpool is a great example, there will be plenty of people in Liverpool that have season tickets at Anfield but support one of the other cricket teams and see Liverpool Cricket Club as their rivals.

People support different teams, across different sports for different reasons. You don’t have to support a team just because they bear the name of your town. It’s a bit simple to think “it says Burnley, I’ve got to cheer for it”.

I’m not going to be critical of Burnley’s following on Sunday, that is what it is and as they say, the league table never lies, so Burnley are worthy league winners. It must however be a concern to those at the club that a successful team, bearing the name of the town and being well situated next to the football club can’t seem to drum up the support and backing that it deserves.

Sunday is one game in isolation and there were probably more there on Sunday supporting Burnley than would watch them play at home to say Clitheroe in a standard league game. That must be concerning and for the longevity of the club that really needs to change somehow.
This user liked this post: Somethingfishy

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:44 am

Rammy relegated. :cry:

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:53 am

Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:51 am

considering i can watch Lowerhouse out of my bedroom window, how would i look my neighbours in the eyes if i supported Burnley? what a dilemma!

Burnley deserved the trophy this time, fair play to them. Likely they would have finished us off quickly on Sunday as well with the way the rain was going.

but come on, if you're that serious you can take to a message board to give it big licks about winning the league, surely you can make the 5min journey across town to watch them win the trophy.

felt embarrassed for them when there was literally about 10 people left watching them collect the trophy. i went and gave them a clap as its the right thing to do.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:55 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:43 am

It’s the equivalent of saying that everyone in Liverpool, should support Liverpool because they bear the name of the city in which they live, similar Birmingham, Glasgow etc.

In fact Liverpool is a great example, there will be plenty of people in Liverpool that have season tickets at Anfield but support one of the other cricket teams and see Liverpool Cricket Club as their rivals.

People support different teams, across different sports for different reasons. You don’t have to support a team just because they bear the name of your town. It’s a bit simple to think “it says Burnley, I’ve got to cheer for it”.

I’m not going to be critical of Burnley’s following on Sunday, that is what it is and as they say, the league table never lies, so Burnley are worthy league winners. It must however be a concern to those at the club that a successful team, bearing the name of the town and being well situated next to the football club can’t seem to drum up the support and backing that it deserves.

Sunday is one game in isolation and there were probably more there on Sunday supporting Burnley than would watch them play at home to say Clitheroe in a standard league game. That must be concerning and for the longevity of the club that really needs to change somehow.
I would imagine very few people from Liverpool would take delight in Liverpool losing at anything, so yes it is a great example. I agree you don't have to support them to be actually be against the team of the town due to living in a different area of the town is a little backward and insular. Each to their own though, I just know if I felt that strong I couldn't be pro Burnley in football and anti Burnley in cricket. I would feel like I wanted the best of both worlds, we are all different though

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:57 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:53 am
considering i can watch Lowerhouse out of my bedroom window, how would i look my neighbours in the eyes if i supported Burnley? what a dilemma!

Burnley deserved the trophy this time, fair play to them. Likely they would have finished us off quickly on Sunday as well with the way the rain was going.

but come on, if you're that serious you can take to a message board to give it big licks about winning the league, surely you can make the 5min journey across town to watch them win the trophy.

felt embarrassed for them when there was literally about 10 people left watching them collect the trophy. i went and gave them a clap as its the right thing to do.
I agree more should go to watch them but the fact is they don't and probably never will, I will just never understand someone from Burnley disliking Burnley cricket club just because they live near to Lowerhouse ground.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:11 am

I'm not entirely sure where it's all gone wrong for Rammy. Barely 12 months ago I was watching them ease to a Worsley Cup final win and looking a very strong outfit.
Littleborough on the other hand are the coming force in the league and could be set to enjoy a period of dominance. They are very impressive whenever I've watched them. I guess it's the old story though of keeping the squad together and keeping everyone happy or potential can remain unfulfilled.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:24 am

The cricket carnt be that good at the grove if you have time to go round counting the away supporters upthecolne

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:46 am

Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:55 am
I would imagine very few people from Liverpool would take delight in Liverpool losing at anything, so yes it is a great example. I agree you don't have to support them to be actually be against the team of the town due to living in a different area of the town is a little backward and insular. Each to their own though, I just know if I felt that strong I couldn't be pro Burnley in football and anti Burnley in cricket. I would feel like I wanted the best of both worlds, we are all different though
So you are suggesting that Everton fans support Liverpool in games in which they aren’t involved, similarly Aston Villa fans supporting Birmingham and Celtic fans supporting Rangers?

I’ve never once sat on the Turf or in an away end and thought, I shouldn’t be supporting this lot because I don’t like the cricket team that play next door. What a bizarre outlook.

There are probably more regular Lowerhouse fans that watch Burnley FC than there are regular Burnley CC fans.

Sport is better for rivalries and the fact our town boasts two of the stronger cricket teams in the county is a real credit to it. But, it doesn’t mean that those teams have to enjoy each others successes.
These 2 users liked this post: MeeActon1 Somethingfishy

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:03 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:46 am
So you are suggesting that Everton fans support Liverpool in games in which they aren’t involved, similarly Aston Villa fans supporting Birmingham and Celtic fans supporting Rangers?

I’ve never once sat on the Turf or in an away end and thought, I shouldn’t be supporting this lot because I don’t like the cricket team that play next door. What a bizarre outlook.

There are probably more regular Lowerhouse fans that watch Burnley FC than there are regular Burnley CC fans.

Sport is better for rivalries and the fact our town boasts two of the stronger cricket teams in the county is a real credit to it. But, it doesn’t mean that those teams have to enjoy each others successes.
Like I said we are all different, If I was a staunch Lowerhouse / anti Burnley in one sport I couldn't / wouldn't then decide I liked Burnley in another sport. I have no feelings about any side in the Lancs league but I know I would 100 times out of 100 prefer Lowerhouse to win anything over Darwen, I am fairly certain there were enough Lowerhouse fans at weekend who would have been quite happy had Darwen won it, and even more so had it been Lowerhouse preventing Burnley from winning something.

I wouldn't be classing the Lowerhouse feelings towards Burnley CC on a par with any of the football games you mentioned above. For me it's more akin to Burnley playing Leeds and a Yorkie based claret attending the match and singing Lancashire la la la for 90 minutes, leaving the turf and going to Lancs Yorks 20/20 game and then on the same chanting Yorkshire. It's like a confused existence for me. As I say though we are all different and some are ok with it. There is no factual right or wrong here just each persons own viewpoint, from my point being born and raised in the town I would never want any team connected to the town name to lose at anything.

Do you feel proud of Jimmy Anderson ?

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:16 am

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:24 am
The cricket carnt be that good at the grove if you have time to go round counting the away supporters upthecolne
not hard to count a dozen people watching the trophy presentation from 20 yards away

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:17 am

Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:03 am
of course, he's a great representative for our town and unchallenged at national level as a fast bowler
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:17 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:11 am
I'm not entirely sure where it's all gone wrong for Rammy. Barely 12 months ago I was watching them ease to a Worsley Cup final win and looking a very strong outfit.
Littleborough on the other hand are the coming force in the league and could be set to enjoy a period of dominance. They are very impressive whenever I've watched them. I guess it's the old story though of keeping the squad together and keeping everyone happy or potential can remain unfulfilled.
I agree on Littleborough, I spoke to a few of the Burnley lads on Sunday and they said they were surprised as Littleborough had been poor when they'd played them this season and I personally thought they'd looked very good whenever I'd watched them.

As for Jimmy Anderson, I doubt there's anybody who dislikes him or isn't proud of him at Lowerhouse.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:35 am

Like I said we are all different, If I was a staunch Lowerhouse / anti Burnley in one sport I couldn't / wouldn't then decide I liked Burnley in another sport. I have no feelings about any side in the Lancs league but I know I would 100 times out of 100 prefer Lowerhouse to win anything over Darwen, I am fairly certain there were enough Lowerhouse fans at weekend who would have been quite happy had Darwen won it, and even more so had it been Lowerhouse preventing Burnley from winning something.

I wouldn't be classing the Lowerhouse feelings towards Burnley CC on a par with any of the football games you mentioned above. For me it's more akin to Burnley playing Leeds and a Yorkie based claret attending the match and singing Lancashire la la la for 90 minutes, leaving the turf and going to Lancs Yorks 20/20 game and then on the same chanting Yorkshire. It's like a confused existence for me. As I say though we are all different and some are ok with it. There is no factual right or wrong here just each persons own viewpoint, from my point being born and raised in the town I would never want any team connected to the town name to lose at anything.

Some people aren't so easily confused as you. perhaps. ;)

You aren't the only one. I watch Blackburn Hawks ice hockey, and have been told (partly in jest, I always presumed, but perhaps not?) that I shouldn't be watching them because they have the word "Blackburn" in their name. Quite genuinely, some people do believe that it's better not to watch a sport you enjoy than to watch it in a different town.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:37 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:35 am

You aren't the only one. I watch Blackburn Hawks ice hockey, and have been told (partly in jest, I always presumed, but perhaps not?) that I shouldn't be watching them because they have the word "Blackburn" in their name. Quite genuinely, some people do believe that it's better not to watch a sport you enjoy than to watch it in a different town.
Judas :D

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:53 am
I would have hoped the genuine Lowerhouse cricket fans (not them just there for a beer) would have given the Burnley team a sporting clap.

One of the good things about cricket is you can appreciate your opponents performances and wins, even your rivals.

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:47 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 am
I would have hoped the genuine Lowerhouse cricket fans (not them just there for a beer) would have given the Burnley team a sporting clap.

One of the good things about cricket is you can appreciate your opponents performances and wins, even your rivals.
and they did, as i said in my post previously
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:43 am

I wouldn’t necessarily say I am proud of Jimmy Anderson on a personal level as whilst I’ve played against him and spoken to him numerous times, I’ve had no specific involvement, nor have my club, in his success. I have always supported him when he’s represented Lancashire and England (I would will David Dunn to do well for England) and I will say that he’s the best there has ever been at what he does and acknowledge that he’s achieved all of that from relatively humble beginnings.

Similarly I’m not proud of Ollie Norwood in the same manner as I’m proud of Jay Rodriguez. The pride in Jay being born of the fact I’ve watched him develop as part of my team and go on to achieve great things.

I am proud when I see Liberty Heap represent Lancashire and England as I’ve watched her grow up and seen the hours she’s spent in the nets, at my club, perfecting her skills.

However, going back to Jimmy, I have said openly on this forum and used our own club platforms to highlight the fact that I don’t think our town have done anywhere near enough to acknowledge his achievements and his outstanding contribution to world cricket. Maybe that will follow when he retires.

BigRedrose
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:02 pm

Without getting dragged into the debate on who has the most supporters debate, crowds in general at local cricket have fallen dramatically over the last 20 years which is very sad to see. As an ardent Burnley CC supporters who attends most games home and away you see this around the entire league. Lowerhouse seem to be an exception to that rule, no doubt due to all the tremendous work done by Stan in getting hundreds of kids, (and ultimately their parents) interested in cricket. Burnley ( and others) are definitely playing catchup in that area, but are doing some good work with a team of dedicated coaches working with kids from a very early age. Hopefully this will pay dividends later in with increased attendances at matches.
On the subject of the number of Burnley supporters at Sundays finale, there were certainly plenty that I met as I walked around the ground away from the bar area.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:15 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:

Far be it for me to totally agree with a House man but asc has it right here.

I always supported Burnley when it came to cricket but that was no surprise. I was brought up just a few minutes from the football club turnstiles which meant it wasn't that much further to get to the cricket club (you went in then on the corner where the big electronic advertising board is now). My dad had always gone to Burnley, regaling in the days of Cec Pepper and the likes in the post war era. There was never any likelihood that we would have gone to watch our cricket at the West End.

I have friends who are Clarets, have always lived in Burnley, but would never, ever consider supporting Burnley Cricket Club. In the main, they were brought up closer to the West End than to the Turf so it is absolutely no surprise to that they support Lowerhouse. That won't be the case with all of them as there will be many reasons why the choice is made. I live about equidistant from the two now. I wonder where I'd have gone back in the day had I lived here then and not been influenced by my dad.

I rarely watch Lancs League cricket now. My last two games have both been at Todmorden, v Lowerhouse in 2019 and v Burnley this year, but both for the day out really as much as anything.

I watched cricket for years when Burnley had good support when generally they were a good team. The support at Lowerhouse was generally much poorer as was their team. Things have changed in more recent years. Burnley are still a good side by the looks of it but Lowerhouse are no longer the whipping boys they once were. I've mentioned on here many times the wonderful work done down there by David Wren and Stan Heaton, above all others, who have pulled Lowerhouse up.

As for support, Lowerhouse, from what I can see now, more than have the edge. They've worked hard to get people interested and to get people to games and all credit to them for that. Burnley haven't; more than once this season it's proved impossible to even get a score update from a Burnley game for example. I was speaking a couple of weeks ago to a former Burnley player who called in recently to find teams playing in front of an almost empty ground. He was stunned when he learned that it was a first team game and not the seconds. I saw the crowds at Burnley CC ahead of the Spurs game and that is what seems to be more important to them now. So my one disagreement with asc is that BCC probably are not too concerned about the lack of support because of the football which seems to be the main thing that they publicise.

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:02 pm

BigRedrose wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:02 pm
On the subject of the number of Burnley supporters at Sundays finale, there were certainly plenty that I met as I walked around the ground away from the bar area.
I'm not lying, this is a photo of the presentation. i came out of the clubhouse to watch. this was the total amount of people including all the players, sponsers, league officials and the few Lowerhouse that came out.

unless they didnt stay for the trophy, but that would be odd.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (151.47 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:16 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. It is a very pertinent point. Yet BCC "supporters" on here give it the blah blah blah..."its on the field that matters." That is certainly true and I wouldn't totally disagree. However BCC has the luxury of not really needing anyone to turn up on a cricket matchday due to being largely funded by non cricket activity ie Away fans parking/drinking on a BFC matchday. Whilst this is the situation then BCC have no incentive to lure supporters to watch them which for the longer term health of the club can't be good.
This user liked this post: GetIntoEm

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:35 am

I used to support Blackburn Hawks in the mid to late 90s. Even travelled as far afield as Paisley and Telford to watch them and was there cheering when they beat Manchester Storm at the MEN in front of 15000.

BFC
Lowerhouse
Blackburn Hawks

Has that frazzled your brain Claretonthecoast? :D
This user liked this post: GetIntoEm

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:35 pm

No but explains a lot :D

Mondsley
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Mondsley » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:17 am

I agree on Littleborough, I spoke to a few of the Burnley lads on Sunday and they said they were surprised as Littleborough had been poor when they'd played them this season and I personally thought they'd looked very good whenever I'd watched them.

As for Jimmy Anderson, I doubt there's anybody who dislikes him or isn't proud of him at Lowerhouse.
I can't disagree that Littleborough we're poor in both games against Burnley. As a lifelong Littleborough member and ex player with good friends who are Burnley CC members it was a little annoying that we failed to perform. But, the first match was the first game of the season, so probably still finding our feet! Littleborough are predominantly, a young side of local lads who will, hopefully, develop and get stronger. It will be interesting to see how they cope with the retirement of Clinton Perren who has been a guiding light for the young lads. And who knows what Chris Schofield will be doing?

Somethingfishy

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:48 pm

Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:35 pm
No but explains a lot :D
Yes it explains that i support the team closest to me in that sport. It's not a difficult concept to grasp really. :lol:

...and yes I'd rather have Burnley winning the league than Darwen. However not if that means they are beating us to do it. That is the nature of the competition. As it was the rain prevented that from happening and they beat Darwen to it anyway so it worked out well in that sense :D

As for yor analogy. There are quite a few Yorkie wrong uns on here. I doubt very much you'd catch them singing Lancashire la la la at a BFC game. :)

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:55 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:02 pm
I'm not lying, this is a photo of the presentation. i came out of the clubhouse to watch. this was the total amount of people including all the players, sponsers, league officials and the few Lowerhouse that came out.

How long was it between the last ball being bowled and the match being abandoned? Perhaps people went home.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:01 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:55 pm
How long was it between the last ball being bowled and the match being abandoned? Perhaps people went home.
I don't think it was that long but between them going off and the abandonment, the game between Norden & Darwen finished. Whether that prompted a quicker decision to abandon the game I don't know.

Alan Young
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Alan Young » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:03 pm

I think Redrose has it correct that league cricket attendances have dropped across the board and when the weather is poor (as it’s been for much of this summer) it’s not uncommon to have poor attendances even at first team games. Conversely, I’ve been to a Friday night 20/20 at BCC this season on a nice evening that was very well attended.

Lowerhouse have clearly set the bar in relation to the social media/marketing side of things but that probably relies on having a volunteer/s skilled in that area. I’m sure there are hardworking volunteers behind the scenes at every club and I doubt that you could have success on the field if there wasn’t. Don’t Burnley also have a successful Ladies team currently?

Just a cursory glance over the BCC Twitter it seems to be full of cricket related posts whether that be team news or round ups of senior and junior results. There’s little mention of football so that criticism seems harsh although who could blame them for trying to maximise the benefits of their location. Strangely the Lowerhouse page doesn’t seem to reference the outcome of Sunday’s game or it’s outcome on the final league standings.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Mondsley wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 pm
And who knows what Chris Schofield will be doing?
I think he may have his feet up for a little while once the season starts :D

It will be interesting to see where the top 6-7 teams strengthen next year because they've all been there or there about all year.

Its such a big jump for 2nd team players to make to 1st team in that top division, patience is needed with the youngsters

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:57 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:44 am
Rammy relegated. :cry:
I know it's no consolation for you guys but that's now a lovely trip form Rawtenstall on the train, and a good fews beers to look forward too next season...

BigRedrose

Post by BigRedrose » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:34 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:02 pm

Did they actually present the trophy at Lowerhouse? If so, I'd certainly gone by then. I was under the impression that the league official representative would present the trophy back at Turf Moor on the players return. When the match was abandoned most people had certainly left the ground. There was the obvious situation that the trophy could have been heading over to Norden had Darwen won their game.

BigRedrose

Post by BigRedrose » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:40 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:57 pm
I know it's no consolation for you guys but that's now a lovely trip form Rawtenstall on the train, and a good fews beers to look forward too next season...
Great idea that Andre and Rammy is certainly an excellent trip, unfortunately though the last train back to Rawtenstall is mid afternoon and public transport is a bit of a pain later on.

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:47 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:55 pm
about 15mins or so

GetIntoEm

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:48 pm

BigRedrose wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:34 pm
Did they actually present the trophy at Lowerhouse? If so, I'd certainly gone by then. I was under the impression that the league official representative would present the trophy back at Turf Moor on the players return. When the match was abandoned most people had certainly left the ground. There was the obvious situation that the trophy could have been heading over to Norden had Darwen won their game.
no they absolutely presented it at Lowerhouse

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:22 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:48 pm
no they absolutely presented it at Lowerhouse
They must have been extremely confident Burnley were going to win ahead of Darwen !