ARTICLE: Shameful Spurs win point in Turf Moor draw

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

ARTICLE: Shameful Spurs win point in Turf Moor draw

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:01 pm

This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Re: ARTICLE: Shameful Spurs win point in Turf Moor draw

Post by longsidetrumpet » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:37 pm

I was there, truly shocking from Spurs. I hated Cyril Knowles forever after he cropped Frank. And my memory is it was tiny Phil Holder who delivered the coup de grace on Frank. Perhaps I’m wrong

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:31 pm

Absolutely appalling that night, their one objective was to nail Frank simply because he'd played so well against them in the week before.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:09 am

Really odd playing them six days later. It was an impressive attendance for a midweek game with hardly any away support.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:11 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:31 pm
Absolutely appalling that night, their one objective was to nail Frank simply because he'd played so well against them in the week before.

I know it was common around Christmas to play teams home and away close together, was it a one off this or was it regular occurrence playing so soon in midweek games

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:14 am

A shocking response by Spurs to the previous week's defeat at White Hart Lane. Couldn't have taken long to come up with the tactics they employed. At all costs stop Casper and that's what they did. Had forgotten he was only on the pitch for such a short time and like longsidetrumpet higher up the thread I've always felt it was Phil Holder who delivered the last blow. Anyway, another entertaining performance from us despite the thuggery going on on the pitch. Ralph Coates must have felt embarrassed at what was happening.
As I mentioned on the previous match thread this game turned out to be the last time my dad visited Turf Moor, courtesy of the Cricket Field Stand ticket I'd won after having my 'clarrie blue limerick' printed in the Coventry programme. Also think it was the only time my dad, me and my two brothers went to a match all together. Great memories though and two of us still attending regularly so that's good.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:36 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:11 am
I know it was common around Christmas to play teams home and away close together, was it a one off this or was it regular occurrence playing so soon in midweek games
In my early days of watching football, you played league games in each of the first four midweeks and they were against two teams. If you look at the title winning season for example, the first four midweeks were Everton (h), Everton (a), Preston (h) and Preston (a).

https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 60-results

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:39 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:14 am
A shocking response by Spurs to the previous week's defeat at White Hart Lane. Couldn't have taken long to come up with the tactics they employed. At all costs stop Casper and that's what they did. Had forgotten he was only on the pitch for such a short time and like longsidetrumpet higher up the thread I've always felt it was Phil Holder who delivered the last blow. Anyway, another entertaining performance from us despite the thuggery going on on the pitch. Ralph Coates must have felt embarrassed at what was happening.
As I mentioned on the previous match thread this game turned out to be the last time my dad visited Turf Moor, courtesy of the Cricket Field Stand ticket I'd won after having my 'clarrie blue limerick' printed in the Coventry programme. Also think it was the only time my dad, me and my two brothers went to a match all together. Great memories though and two of us still attending regularly so that's good.
I'd have gone Holder but was influenced by a report.

you always remember the games when someone close to you went for the first or last time. We have a similar game in my family although by then it was a fourth division game. My brother decided to take his son with him for the first time, totally unaware that it would prove to be my dad's last game.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:35 pm

I remember the game as well, mainly for the cynical thuggery on Casper. Frank was on the top of his game and Spurs knew that they couldn't cope without crocking him. That snd the assault and battery from Hunter later in the season probably finished Frank.