ARTICLE: Clarets held by Manchester United in Turf Moor bore draw

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

ARTICLE: Clarets held by Manchester United in Turf Moor bore draw

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:22 am

Back to 1973 and a home game against Manchester United

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-he ... -bore-draw
This user liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets held by Manchester United in Turf Moor bore draw

Post by eastanglianclaret » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:40 pm

Wow! Thanks Tony! That brought back some memories. I was an impressionable 9 year old at the time. I'd probably only seen half a dozen games at Turf Moor before this one. I remember being in awe of George Best and this was the one and only time I ever saw him play live. I also remember being sardined into the Longside. I don't think I'd ever seen so many people in one place before. I think when Leeds came later in that season the crowd was even bigger, I remember being quite frightened on that occasion but excited also. Those were the days!!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:39 pm

I was at the game and as I recall the whole 90 minutes was quite uneventful. I do remember George Best making some sort of comeback that day; not from injury or suspension but one of those self-imposed breaks he had the habit of taking. He was, let's say, overweight when he appeared on the pitch. He also had a good first 25 minutes or so but then faded as his lack of fitness began to take its toll. So, I'm surprised to read in your report that he was prominent in the 2nd half setting up a couple of opportunities. Very unusual also to read Man Utd's line up and find a couple.of players for them that I've never heard of, before or since.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:18 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:39 pm
I was at the game and as I recall the whole 90 minutes was quite uneventful. I do remember George Best making some sort of comeback that day; not from injury or suspension but one of those self-imposed breaks he had the habit of taking. He was, let's say, overweight when he appeared on the pitch. He also had a good first 25 minutes or so but then faded as his lack of fitness began to take its toll. So, I'm surprised to read in your report that he was prominent in the 2nd half setting up a couple of opportunities. Very unusual also to read Man Utd's line up and find a couple.of players for them that I've never heard of, before or since.
I had to check to see if I'd heard of them. I was at the game and I've never heard of Tony Young, Steve James, and Clive Griffiths.

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:07 pm

I must have been at the game but I have no recall of it, nor Clive Griffiths, he only played 7 times for United then made the rest of his career in the USA

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7574 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:12 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:39 pm

Have to admit, l thought Best was a passenger most the game too.
Early on, there was that buzz when he had the ball. But he faded lots.
Last time i saw him play for Man U. Think he went AWOL again around xmax & Tommy binned him.
Still the best player I've ever watched live though.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:02 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:18 pm
I had to check to see if I'd heard of them. I was at the game and I've never heard of Tony Young, Steve James, and Clive Griffiths.
I’d never heard of them either.