How do we get rid of VAR?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Re: How do we get rid of VAR?

Post by dsr » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:19 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:49 am
I remember when it was first introduced i wanted it only for goal line checking now it's gone ridiculous a finger nail offside.
I agree. Some people evidently believe that disallowing Son's goal makes the game better, because although he was level by normal standards he was offside by VAR standards. When you think back how many games must have been ruined since 1990 by allowing goals that we all thought were "level" but with hindsight half of them must have been offside ... :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Clive 1960

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1132 times
Has Liked: 302 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:30 am

Antmass wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:41 pm
It's killing my love for the game too. And you are right about the players being responsible for the problems.
I called it 'gamesmanship' earlier but it's really cheating, and nowhere is it more stylized than the Prem (in England).

PS...is that the Rammy who watched the clarets in Albufeira with me in the Hot Sun Bar?
No sorry that wasn’t me. Never been to Albufeira.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:50 am

Lip wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:02 am
Makes you wonder how football coped for over a century without VAR..🙂
Quite simply because the vast majority of top flight games were not shown on live TV and the TV companies that did show matches did not have the technology to forensically examine every aspect of the game. Before VAR was introduced Sky pundits would comment following a controversial referee decision or disallowed goal “We’ve got the technology why aren’t we using it”?
Also, fifty years ago players weren’t being paid up to £140k a week and state sponsored consortiums weren’t investing billions of £’s into club football.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:47 am

Absolutely spot on Kentonclaret

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 246 times

Post by Vincent'sCap » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:59 am

Protest! Seems the way of the world these days,or if we are really serious about getting rid of VAR boycott games,football is nothing without fans.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:03 pm

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:19 am
I agree. Some people evidently believe that disallowing Son's goal makes the game better, because although he was level by normal standards he was offside by VAR standards. When you think back how many games must have been ruined since 1990 by allowing goals that we all thought were "level" but with hindsight half of them must have been offside ... :roll:
Exactly. That's the problem. The offside law exists to prevent the attacking team from gaining an unfair advantage by goal hanging behind the defensive line.

The introduction of VAR has now shot that law to pieces because the technology allows officials to see exactly where a player is positioned when the ball is played forward. So when an attacking player's right shoulder is just slightly behind the defensive line, by the letter of the law he is offside and as a result the officials have to call it, whether he gained an unfair advantage or not.

But it's a decision that would never have to be made if we didn't have VAR. It would be down to the linesman's judgement in real time and that would be that.

People say it's not VAR that's the problem, it's the officials. I disagree. VAR is the problem and hasn't benefitted the game at all.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:54 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:14 am
It’s not the system its how its being used.The offsides - anything seeming level to the naked eye at a quick 10 second check should be on, IF the lino has left it. No need for lines. All those 4-5 disallowed goals would probably have been quickly ruled out anyway on that basis because they were all clearly off.
What is 'seemingly level'? If we have the technology and we're using VAR, why would we then ignore bits of it and deliberately fail to apply the laws of the game?

That would be even worse than what we have now, and that's saying something.

The only way we can realistically apply your common sense approach is to give the officials enough ambiguity and plausible deniability to make those calls, and that's completely impossible with VAR.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:59 am

True enough, John. And I know I'm boring myself as well as everyone else saying this, but the idea that 'VAR isn't the problem, it's the people running it' is absolutely ridiculous.

You're literally saying 'it's not the Video Assistant Referee that's the problem, it's the Video Assistant Referee'. And 'the technology' is a man looking at a TV forming a subjective opinion just like the rest of us. It's all subjective, grey areas, borderline stuff. So what if one marginal decision goes against you one week. It's a 38/46 game season. Suck it up and on to the next one. That happens with one ref on the pitch or half a dozen in their little hut.

The bottom line is, it's made watching football far, far worse and hasn't changed much at all around decision making, other than everything is handball and offside now.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:03 am

Just scrap the offside rule utc

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:29 am

https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/statu ... Jip3g&s=19
This cutting edge technology would dory it out straight away.