Wake up and smell the coffee.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2331 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Re: Wake up and smell the coffee.

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:28 pm

Listened to VKs interview after the game, I’m still with him

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 600 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:14 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:17 pm
If our goalie would give anyone standing in his area a good shove before the corner kick or free kick is being taken and let the ref know they he’s being impeded, then surely they’d be less inclined to pursue
So, not arguing……..just an observation…….if that’s the case, and it’s not the defenders job to protect him, it’s his job to push the f’kr out of the way and dominate…….? Tho he doesn’t have the physicality to do that…………..too soon to play in The Prem for me.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:01 am

All said on MOTD by Jenas
Too easy at set pieces to block Trafford

Simon
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Simon » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:22 am

Dyche always had top-class keepers with the possible exception of the overrated Joe Hart. Trafford's softness / uncertainty destabilizes the whole team.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:45 am

Butland at rangers is available for £5m

He’s so much better than Trafford in every area.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:02 am

Positives : We’re getting better.

Negatives: O’Shea, Traff and Ramsey for sort of 35 - 40 million ish is some of the worst business we’ve ever had going into a season for instant impact, more over the obsession with playing Traff at all costs. A loan in the Championship would’ve done him a world of good.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:38 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:28 pm
Listened to VKs interview after the game, I’m still with him
I do find it strange that so many people are willing to just stick with Kompany regardless, even if that means certain relegation.

If that happens, we're right back to where we started when he first arrived.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2580 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:48 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:38 am
I do find it strange that so many people are willing to just stick with Kompany regardless, even if that means certain relegation.

I can understand a willingness to stick with Kompany through a relegation if it comes from a principle that he doesn't deserve to be sacked.

What I can't understand, which I've seen so much of over recent weeks, is a certainty that we'll simply "walk the league" again if we go down and it's all part of a long-term plan. That arrogance reminds me of the posters who were sure we'd be in the top 10 of the PL this season.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:55 am

fidelcastro wrote:

Disagree there. When he first arrived we had half a squad (literally) and expectations from fans were for a mid table finish. *If* we go down this time, sure we’d lose a few but I’d bet we’d try and retain the majority, add a couple in key areas and overall the squad would be significantly stronger than when he first arrived and with a full PL year of experience. Then you have Kompany himself with a proven year in the Champ rather than being unproven. Whether the above means we ‘definitely walk the league’ or not I don’t know but we’d certainly be a favourite and rightly so.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:45 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:48 am
I can understand a willingness to stick with Kompany through a relegation if it comes from a principle that he doesn't deserve to be sacked.

What I can't understand, which I've seen so much of over recent weeks, is a certainty that we'll simply "walk the league" again if we go down and it's all part of a long-term plan. That arrogance reminds me of the posters who were sure we'd be in the top 10 of the PL this season.
If we go down then it is almost certain that it will be along with Sheffield United and Luton. It is also very likely that 3 out of Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton will be heading in the opposite direction. Should that scenario happen then the Championship next season will be weaker rather than stronger. Nothing there to be too fearful of.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1033 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:47 am

fidelcastro wrote:

Not really.
We got promoted when very few people (including Burnley fans) thought we would. We enjoyed what was for many of us the most enjoyable season in decades.
Getting relegated as is looking more than likely will be disappointing of course but that is not going to erase last season for me and many others.

Most clubs our size do not have what we have had the last 10 or 15 years. And those few lucky ones that do tend to not sustain it for anywhere near as long.

It’s not about harping back to the Orient game at all - it’s just a bit of realism that we have in fact been extremely fortunate as fans to have the managers and players we have in the last 15 years.

And even bringing up the £100m spend in isolation without looking at what everyone else has spent is pretty meaningless. Have a look at what “poor little” Bournemouth have spent last summer or plucky little Brighton and their half a billion owner subsidy.