Wolves v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Re: Wolves v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by Jamesy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:40 pm
Trafford 5 fine , mixed pass rate success
Vitinho 6 lively though desperately need better
O Shea 4 - UZI like distribution…
Ekdal 6 decent return for the gutsy Swede
Taylor 6 tough night for CT but some smart decisions
Koleosho 7 our main threat
Brownhill 7 proper shift from the jug eared terrier
Berge 5 - donkey like showing from the leaden footed giant
JBL 5-largely ineffective 2nt
Rodriguez 5 slowing, top save denied the man bunned homeboy
Amdouini 6 got stuck in

Subs
JBG 5- the geysers and volcanos surely await ?

Brownhill, jug eared terrier? Where have you been? He had em pinned back at the end of last season!

Benson
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Benson » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:00 am

Trafford 6
Vitinho 6
O Shea 6
Ekdal 7
Taylor 6
Bruun Larsen 5
Berge 6
Brownhill 7
Koleosho 7
Rodriguez 5
Amdouni 6

Subs:
Gudmundsson 5
Tresor 5

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:17 am

Trafford 6
Vitinho 5
O’Shea 5
Ekdal 6
Taylor 5
Larsen 5
Berge 5
Brownhill 6
Koleosho 7
Rodriguez 5
Amdouni 6

JBG 5

Other subs: pointless

How many times. This week it was O’Shea/Berge; next week it will be someone else. There is no one-size fits all “philosophy” for a team outside the top 6-8 in this league and 15 games in we still haven’t learned how to dig out results.

We have recently caught Palace, West Ham and Wolves on days when they were each very very ordinary and got 0 points. From losing positions we have yielded 0 points, and I would suggest we have hardly laid a glove on anyone that isn’t pretty garbage. This team will destroy Championship outfits and the likes of Sheff Utd, and Salford in the cup, but you have to find different ways to win points against better opponents. Currently we are sleepwalking towards relegation.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:23 am

Was late by the time I had dropped everyone off last night - a few things.

Frustration is the over riding feeling.

If I was being complimentary to Wolves, they were bang average at best. Dawson has played a lot of games at this level and for good reason - I put him in the Tarky mold, strong in the air, solid defensively, organised. He organised the defence really well and Jay won very little in the air against any centre half. Going forward though, they created zip - aside from what we gifted them. They were poor and that's what frustrates. To come away with nothing against a poor to average side - again - sums our season up.

Frustration number 2 is that we apparently have a set piece coach. I find that staggering. Our corners and free kicks are absolutely rancid. And that's being kind. We may as well not bother - just kick it out for a throw in. For a top level team to be so utterly inept at dead ball situations is baffling to me - baffling.

Substitutions came way too late. JBL was dreadfull al game - absolutley dreadful. Looked like a man who knew both full backs had him in their pockets. Jay and Amdouni ran out of steam around 70 minutes. Was crying out for pace to try and get behind a defence that was so strong in the air. If Obafemi / Zaroury / Ramsey aren't getting game time in a game like this, I don't know when they will.

We hit the self destruct button - again. We just don't learn do we. That aside, Wolves never worried me, never looked like scoring, and that's the annoying part. I thought overall, with one exception already mentioned, nobody had a particularly poor game, and nobody had a particularly good game. My marks reflect that.

Traffod - 6 - Nothing wrong last night

Vitinho - 6 - As Trafford
O'Shea - 6 - I'm one of his biggest critics, the goal we concede is a shame. That ball has to go long from him - just has to. That aside though, I actually thought he did ok.
Ekdal - 6 - has a great footballing brain. Reads the game so well.
Taylor - 7 - at the moment, playing as consistently as anyone

JBL - 3 - Rancid. Amazed he came out for the second half, amazed he lasted as long as he did. He was woeful - absolutely woeful - full backs had their easiest night of the season.
Berge - 6 - will take the blame for the mistake but should never have been given the ball in that situation.
Brownhill - 7* - Took the booking early on, but thought he played well throughout after that
Koleosho - 6 - Once he went off the pace and direct running threat disappeared. That said, he lost the ball more often than not, but he was at least putting them on the back foot. Hope he's not out long

Amdouni - 6 - was knackered last 20 minutes
Jay - 6 - yes, he should have scored at 0-0. Some of the comments though are staggering. His link up and hold up play were spot on all night. He was never going to win headers against Dawson/Kilman, and the service into in him in threatening areas - 1 chance aside, was non-existent.

JBG - 5 - Never really got in the game
Tresor - 5 couple of nice touches but, like so many summer signings, lightweight

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:53 am

Trafford 6
Vitinho 6
O'Shea 6
Ekdal 6
Taylor 6
Bruun Larsen 4
Brownhill 6
Berge 5
Koleosho 6
Amdouni 5
Rodriguez 5

Gudmundsson 5
Tresor 5

Never looked like scoring. Gave away another soft goal. The opposition took all 3 points without having to really do anything. Again.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 am

Trafford 6
Vitinho 5
O'Shea 6
Ekdal 7
Taylor 6
Bruun Larsen 4
Brownhill 7
Berge 6
Koleosho 6
Amdouni 4
Rodriguez 4

Gudmundsson 5
Tresor 4

Disappointed that we didn’t get going in the second half. As many have said the late subs were baffling.
The attacking players offered next to nothing all game.

CJA
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by CJA » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:45 am

Trafford 5 Distribution was dire
Vitinho 5
O Shea 5
Ekdal 7
Taylor 6
Brownhill 7
BrunLarsen 7 ( Then 4 after he was switched position to accomodate Gudmonson)
Berge 5
Koleosho 7 ( our only hope it seems of creativity)
Amdouni 6
Rodriguez 6 ( Some ratings are very harsh giving him3 for example, he spent most of second half dropping deep to get the ball as he was getting no service at all ) deep should have done better with the chance in first half.
Gudmunson 5 not in the game and a strange substitution as it unbalanced us moving Larson across straight swop with Odobert would have made more sense.
Tresor NA
Redmond NA

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 am

A game of two halves. First half good, second half poor. Scores reflect the 90

Trafford 6 - Some good saves but despite the success of being more direct against Sheff Utd, he was back to short, slow, risky passes to the centre backs.
Vitinho 6 - Another decent game for me.
O'Shea 5 - Probably harshly marked purely for the pass to Berge.
Ekdal 7* - The bright light on a night of few positives
Taylor 6 - Tried and tried. Got caught out a couple of times
Bruun Larsen - 5 disappointing after sat. Looked a bit lethargic, maybe two game with such short rest a step too far given his lack of game time. should've come off sooner.
Brownhill 6 - Midfield engine, did well.
Berge 6 - Would have been a 7 if not for his involvement in their goal. Thought he was the beating heart of our team, always open for a pass and driving with the ball forward.
Koleosho 6 - Looked a threat and was playing well. we suffered after he went off
Amdouni 6 - Busy and linking up nicely with Jay. First half 7 second half 5 = 6
Rodriguez 6 - Think he offers more than just goals at the moment. Offers good foil to Amdouni and general hold up play decent. -1 as he should has scored.

Gudmundsson 5 - Clever play at times, but in ineffectual areas. It's him or Brun Larsen when we are chasing a game, not both at the same time.
Tresor 6 - Tried when he came on and showed some ingenuity and unpredictability in his play. We lost the width as he likes to drift centrally, leaving Taylor out wide on his own, but more an observation than a criticism.

VK really need to learn when to make subs. Against West Ham he made unnecessary changes quite early which disrupted our flow and arguably contributed to losing the game from a winning position. Tonight, when chasing the game and struggling to make meaningful passages of play he waits until it is too late to make changes to have any real impact on the game.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:09 am

Jamesy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 am
I know but you can put lipstick on a pig and it’s still a pig .It would be like the late great Bobby Charlton suddenly having Tarzan like locks , you can’t just change how you see someone …

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:19 am

Classy.
This user liked this post: Big Vinny K

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1078 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:40 am

Trafford 6
Vitinho 5
Ekdal 6
O’Shea 4
Taylor 5
Brownhill
Berge 6
Koleosho 7
Amdouni 6
Bruun Larsen 6
Rodriguez 6

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:54 pm

From tv and after a good night's sleep to get rid of my frustrations after the game.
Trafford 6 he was partly culpable for their goal, there are times when playing it out from the back is not an option
Vitihno 7 not a bad performance, but I'm still not convinced he is a defender.
O'Shea 5 sorry but that was a crazy pass inside to Berge. His distribution is not great at all
Ekdahl 7* played well, with calmness, to say it was his first game after injury
Taylor 7 steady away
Larsen 6 was playing ok until he had to switch to the left. After that I can't recall him getting involved
Berge 7 our best player until his mistake for their goal, this seemed to drain the life out of him
Browmhill 7 decent allround performance
Koleosho 7 our main attacking threat until his injury
Akdouni 6 good in bits but faded in second half
Jay 5 no service but two games in four days is too much

JBG 6 played ok but he should not have come on as a substitute for Luca, it totally upset the balance of our attacking play.
Another totally frustrating match, there are times when it is madness to play it out from the back and Trafford and the defence need to know when to do it and when not to. Their goal was totally avoidable. Also,I said to my mates over here as soon as JBG stripped off to come on it was the wrong substitution: surely a like for like sub on the left was needed.
Another disappointing and frustrating performance in a game where we could have got something against an average Wolves side.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:22 pm

Trafford 6
Vitinho 6
O Shea 5
Ekdal 6
Taylor 6
Bruun Larsen 5
Berge 6
Brownhill 7
Koleosho 6
Rodriguez 5
Amdouni 5

Subs:
Gudmundsson 6
Tresor 5

Frustrating evening as I thought that we played reasonably well apart from the goal

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:36 pm

Not terrible, but not good enough either.

Trafford- 7 - thought he was fine
Vitinho - 7 - thought he was solid and progressive enough
Taylor - 6 - not bad although beaten easily a couple of times
O'Shea - 7 - excellent with one momentary exception - a square pass to a man who is surrounded and the last man is always a bad idea and not only that but it was executed badly.
Ekdal- 8 - I thought he looked pretty assured.
Berge - 7 - generally the outstanding midfielder from either team but having got a bad pass he tried to do too much in too risky a position.
Brownhill- 7 - lots of energy and dynamism and unlucky not to score.
Larsen - 5 - got nowhere near the levels he showed on Saturday
Koleosho- 7 - was lively and hopefully he's not injured.
Amdouni - 5 - passable in the first half but nowhere to be seen after the break and surely should have been hooked. His movement is too often non existent.
Rodriguez - 6 - worked hard but well shackled by Dawson and needed a greater threat behind alongside him.
JBG - 6 - did OK on his own terms but too similar to Larsen and Amdouni and the result was we were far too easy for Wolves to play against.
Tresor - 5 - he can clearly play but this was again ineffective - again showed too little pace and too little movement.

Other subs inexplicably too late.

After a decent first 40 minutes in which we were lively unlucky not to lead, it all fell apart with one mistake and thereafter we completely disappeared as an attacking force. Amdouni in particular but also Larsen were miles too passive, wanting the ball to feet and showing none of the movement nimble, live wire forwards must show in the Premier League (there was a bloke in the technical area who was everything they are not and hopefully before too long he passes something on). We clearly needed a greater threat behind, more into out runs down the sides of the centre backs and more options for the back 7. But it didn't come and neither Redmond nor Obafemi who might have added that got a sniff.

On the other hands we were impressive defensively against a team who have done ok going forwards recently. That offers hope but it needs to be matched with more attacking verve than this.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:14 am

From TV

Trafford 6

Vitinho 5
O'Shea 6
Ekdal 7
Taylor 6

Brownhill 7 MOM
Berge 6
Amdouni 6

Koleosho 7
Rodriguez 5
Larsen 5

JBG 5
Tresor 5

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 am

bumba wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 am
You do realise these ratings are for last night and not Saturday?
Anyone you might disagree with? Not that I care but it would be more interesting than just taking the ****.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:33 am

Anthonini wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 am
Anyone you might disagree with? Not that I care but it would be more interesting than just taking the ****.
Don’t think your ratings are that different to a few others on this thread so not sure why you were specifically picked out for an unnecessary comment.

The only rating that does look odd is Tresor. Think you may be clouded by what he has done in Belgium. For me he has got to show more urgency and fight when he is on the pitch. He’s way too laid back and whilst you can see he has a bit of ability (his back heel for example) we just cannot afford for him to give the ball away as cheaply as he seems to do…..in this league it gets punished.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:22 pm

Laid back that's just his head man. He can't change his appearance. I think he gives it all he's got in the few minutes he's getting. Showing more in 15 minutes than Bruun Larsen in a whole game. I find it absurd to read here that Tresor is looking bad but Larsen should always start.

I know both players from before and they have nowhere near the same status. Tresor was labeled best in the league last season whereas Larsen was a bench player for Hoffenheim before being an average Anderlecht player.

But kudos to Larsen who is having a good start of the season and deserves all the praise. Tresor on the other hand is receiving unnecessary criticism as far as I'm concerned. That's why I gave him a 7. I enjoyed his substitution. Did about everything right. Outplayed his opponent several times. In position to defend and recovering a few balls.

I see he's definitely making progression in that area (without the ball). I know what he can bring to the team. Lovely player to watch. Seeing him receive a 4, makes me want to give him a good old 7.

Maybe a 6-6.5 would be better but if I see other people making a joke of it, would only be fair on the lad seeing he definitely wasn't a 4.