Abuse towards other posters

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Abuse towards other posters

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 am

Over the weekend, the posts aimed at other posters has got much, much worse. Some of the posts aimed at others have gone beyond abuse and some of the language has been way beyond what is acceptable on this message board.

Some posters have been given temporary bans and for those who haven't, please accept this as a warning that what's gone on has been totally unacceptable.

And once more can I ask that you don't respond, it only makes things worse. And thanks to those who have reported the posts.
These 56 users liked this post: ClaretOfMancunia CoolClaret addisclaret dsr Suratclaret ClaretAL AGENT_CLARET Quicknick AndypR6 jrtod61 CnBtruntru Goddy elwaclaret bfcjg THEWELLERNUT70 beeholeclaret ClaretCliff ArmchairDetective Eyesofblue2 bfcmik mkmel longsidepies mybloodisclaret tally jedi_master atlantalad MrTopTier sjb gukwonan NickBFC Jamesy California Colner Ptangyangkipperbang Holtyclaret Lip evensteadiereddie aclaretinstevenage expoultryboy k90bfc NewClaret LoveCurryPies KateR longhair Anthonini yosserhughes TheOriginalLongsider ecc A.Claret.Fan Leon_C groove Anonymous Claret whiffa Paul Waine Spike Bosscat Madpete

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Abuse towards other posters

Post by mdd2 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 am
Over the weekend, the posts aimed at other posters has got much, much worse. Some of the posts aimed at others have gone beyond abuse and some of the language has been way beyond what is acceptable on this message board.

Some posters have been given temporary bans and for those who haven't, please accept this as a warning that what's gone on has been totally acceptable.

And once more can I ask that you don't respond, it only makes things worse. And thanks to those who have reported the posts.
Only responding to point out the typo of acceptable rather what is I agree totally unacceptable

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:33 am

I nearly started a thread named ‘bullying’.

There’s a few that are very quick to resort to abusive insults and gaslight massively.

I like a debate as much as any but it’s a bit sad when blokes are posting abuse to others online.

✌️
This user liked this post: Spike

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:48 pm

Could not agree more

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:03 pm

Absolutely CT and I couldn't agree more, it's tedious, pathetic and quite draining watching thread after thread descend into petty squabbles where people try to point score or settle old scores.

It's a big reason why I've posted less and less for quite some time

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2014 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:20 pm

Sadly a reflection of the lack of respect for others so prevalent in today’s society. That University humanities is about the only place where intellectual argument is actively encouraged has only encouraged bigotry and intolerance in wider society.

The art of debate is being lost, stolen and dismissed by those who benefit most from division; those in power who do not want to be intellectually challenged. This then filters down into wider society; just like wealth is supposed to in the favoured economic model this country has adopted. Sadly bigotry has been used throughout history to maintain the power balance, and still is.

Money does not and never has made the man… but like America it is all you need to rise to power… the result we have inept leaders incapable of intellectual debate…. The result is intolerance in society and on football message boards.

Bfcis4me
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by Bfcis4me » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:40 pm

Treat how thee wants to be treated.

My dad used to say that. Don't think he invented it but he was a wise old man before his accident. He went downhill from there. I went to jail became a good person. Anyone can.

Not hard to be polite. It's actually not that hard to be rude either but some people seem to enjoy being rude.

I think there are so many things that cause this. I don't think it's about the cane and all that kind of thing. Some old people are rude, some young people are rude and some inbetweeners are rude. So lots of rude people.

You should have to have your face on the Internet, just so people don't hide behind a keyboard.

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:52 pm

Well said Tony. 👏

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:19 pm

I no longer post on anything that I anticipate will raise PTSD for some other posters. Of course those who get aggressively abusive may just be that way inclined.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:47 pm

I've frequented many forums over the years, and moderated a few, but I've never seen the abuse that is thrown towards fellow posters to the same level that I see on here.

The bizarre thing is that everyone is supposed to be joined by a common goal i.e. supporting Burnley FC. Some think that abuse is par for the course because the subject matter is football.

I mostly avoid contributing to threads as I can't be bothered with the severe fallout that often comes with offering an opinion.

Moderating isn't easy as there's a fine line between allowing conversations to flow and judging when is an appropriate time to step in. I applaud anybody who steps up to volunteer, it would be much easier to be a VAR referee 🙂

It's very encouraging that the moderators want to call time on this 👍

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:52 pm

The messageboard has unfortunately (and at no fault of the mods) become very close to unusable. It's the same people having the same arguments and unfortunately even when you block those people you still see their posts 5 times as people feel the need to engage with obvious trolling.

All of Tony's post is important reading but I think it's good to emphasise the idea of not responding to people who are trolling and/or posting with bad intentions.
This user liked this post: expoultryboy

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:56 pm

Love this messageboard and been an active user for 21 years (mental....) across both it's guises and it's always had some...'characters' who love an argument but it's absolutely become more prevalent than ever in the last 3-4 years.

I stand by what I always say on this - I disagree with a load of people on here, incessantly, but they're Burnley fans at the end of the day. Is it not worth always finding middle ground when you know that you have a really big thing in common at the end of the day? The amount of times I start a post, read it back and then delete it and log off because I just think "Is this worth responding to, really?" has grown exponentially. I cannot be bothered arguing, it serves no purpose and life's too short to have petty squabbles with people you generally will never meet.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm

I miss saxo

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Persistent trolling is what screws up forums, to the extent where interesting and informative users no longer bother posting. Just lately, on here, there have been a handful of very persistent trolls. They don't post in order to add to any debate - they post to cause chaos and actively give and seek out abuse.
These 3 users liked this post: Jamesy Anthonini Spike

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:32 pm

brexit wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm
I miss saxo
Said nobody ever.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Well done Tony and the Mods.

Sadly it is endemic on any platform you choose to mention.
The entitlement of people to say what they think without accountability is a poor reflection on them.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Make the bans permanent is the only way to stop it

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:29 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:17 pm
Persistent trolling is what screws up forums, to the extent where interesting and informative users no longer bother posting. Just lately, on here, there have been a handful of very persistent trolls. They don't post in order to add to any debate - they post to cause chaos and actively give and seek out abuse.
I will echo this. They are also very skilled at turning threads around to suit their agenda and suck people in, then attack them…..via their keyboards.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:37 pm

Another thing that need stamping out, is some of the posters use of 4 letter swear words, being partially disguised with asterisk. I soon lose interest in reading a topic when those words are used. Im surprised it’s not already been banned.

The Shire Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by The Shire Claret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:42 pm

I was a regular poster of clarets mad back in the day and opened an account recently to start contributing again as I felt there was a cloud forming on all the great work done last season. I was always thinking this season was going to be tough but still have hope and the long term project is exciting relegation or not.

When I saw the VK out post and reading some comments on a number of other topics - I decided it might not be worth bothering lol

UTC

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:46 pm

Bfc wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:37 pm
Another thing that need stamping out, is some of the posters use of 4 letter swear words, being partially disguised with asterisk. I soon lose interest in reading a topic when those words are used. Im surprised it’s not already been banned.
I’m not sure about censoring these? Swear words in right context add to sense of feeling when describing football related matters.
Cr@p, Sh!te, Boll@cks, Sh!t housery aka Ashley Barnes is another applicable swear word.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:46 pm
I’m not sure about censoring these? Swear words in right context add to sense of feeling when describing football related matters.
Cr@p, Sh!te, Boll@cks, Sh!t housery aka Ashley Barnes is another applicable swear word.
Not the words that were flying around on this board over the weekend when posters were aiming insults at others.

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:54 pm

I had a business on a small Island which was an essential service, Fuel deliveries and gas (petrol) station, Sometimes things would happen that were out of my control eg. Equipment breaking, refinery not having any petrol, for the majority of the time things would run smoothly but when these things happened the keyboard warriors would get on facebook and attack me and the way I run the business, they would get nasty, I would reply and tell them if they had a problem come and say it to my face, none ever did. I eventually removed myself from Facebook and I don't miss it. It happens on all types of forums.
I come on here and like to read the different topics but a lot become 5 pages of a few posters arguing between themselves, it gets tedious.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:42 pm

All you need is love.

Up the Clarets
These 2 users liked this post: pureclaret Wo Didi

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:29 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:42 pm
All you need is love.

Up the Clarets
Da da da der der dur.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:52 pm
Not the words that were flying around on this board over the weekend when posters were aiming insults at others.
I presumed that would have been the case. I missed all of this thankfully as I was in Tenerife and only really posted to applaud Trafford after watching the match in a bar.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:59 pm

What iv never understood is the when someone opens up with abuse for having an opposing view.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:55 am

A few times I've given my opinion only to be met with abusive replies. I know my opinions may be different but I think these people miss the point in a discussion board.

I hope the offenders have been banned. I know two of them who repeatedly did it to me, and others.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:34 am

I'm glad this has finally come to a head, there are clearly a select few that just wait for an opportunity to be abusive and never offer anything constructive. I just report the posts nowadays, it's a waste of time engaging in any way shape or form. It ruins what is an unbelievable platform for us all. If WE ALL make an effort to report the posts and not engage we can get rid of them all for good because they will get bored.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:45 am

I’m not sure how people can be effectively banned. New email addresses take seconds to create. You could go for the IP address but a VPN would get around that.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:23 am

Fully agree with the OP having reported a particularly unpleasant post at the weekend although we need to be careful about certain posters, one springs to mind immediately, who cry wolf and accuse anyone challenging and disproving their "facts" of wanting to get the thread closed and flounce off for the evening even though they invariably started with the personal stuff.
Robust debate is fine and points which are opinions presented as facts do need to be argued but once the personal, sweary stuff comes in then, yes, fair enough let's get it reported and the clowns, offensive and/or mischievous, kicked off the board for good.

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:27 pm

We go through grim periods on here when the usual suspects start arguing over nothing. Absolutely nothing.

If you can't respect another person disagreeing with you and have to insult them then get off this board and don't come back.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:30 pm

4 contentious post
Dyche or Kompany
Trafford or Muric
Pointer or Connelly ( That was favourite player )
Nulty or Noble
There must be loads more.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:23 am
Fully agree with the OP having reported a particularly unpleasant post at the weekend although we need to be careful about certain posters, one springs to mind immediately, who cry wolf and accuse anyone challenging and disproving their "facts" of wanting to get the thread closed and flounce off for the evening even though they invariably started with the personal stuff.
Robust debate is fine and points which are opinions presented as facts do need to be argued but once the personal, sweary stuff comes in then, yes, fair enough let's get it reported and the clowns, offensive and/or mischievous, kicked off the board for good.
"Anyone" no just 1 particular person I think you will accurately find. It only happens time after time with that same person & there's nothing personal about it & I "flounce" off because it's futile arguing & I know you are compelled to get the last word in, it's an adult thing to do realizing a discussion is futile & quite frankly I've got better things to do than argue the toss all day & night with a complete stranger on a internet MB & I will flounce off again as it's my last post on this particular subject.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:02 pm

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:45 am
I’m not sure how people can be effectively banned. New email addresses take seconds to create. You could go for the IP address but a VPN would get around that.
zero tolerance. They'll soon get bored and move on

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:04 pm

The sad thing is, it isn't just 'trolls'.
You only have to look at the Zaroury new contract thread to see the level of idiots on here. Yes I suggested he could have benefitted from a loan and at the time to some it may have looked a little odd. It then descends into what a maniac I was and moved onto being the most nonsense comment this board has seen since Benson being like a dog chasing a balloon.

The truth is when it dosnt fit your opinions, most are quick to jump on the it's utter nonsense band wagon. It might not be name calling, it might not be abuse.

But it's exactly where a lot of this starts. A disagreement of opinions. Some people are just that self entitled they can't accept anothers Without name calling or making what I would call as pointed or belittling remarks. Without naming names there are posters on this very thread that have over the years made what I would call condescending remarks to supporters who don't share there opinions.

I suggest we should all look at ourselves first before saying, trolls are ruining this site.

I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I've done it in the past and I'm not proud of it and I'll continue to try and accept everyone's opinions wether I agree with them or I don't, sometimes we all get eaten up in the moment with frustrations but as I'm getting older I can see that it's only through having opposing views do we garner conversations and discussions about things. Life would be very boring if we all thought the same.

Something I've been trying recently, starting a reply with, "I hear what your saying and appreciate that's your view but" and then offering my opinion and why.
In my younger days maybe I'd have said, that's total nonsense because of this this and this. As soon as you bring words like nonsense into it all your doing is trying to undermime someones opinion and it just escalates from there.
You may not mean it like that and face to face everyone might see that but written word isnt always interpreted the same either.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:16 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm
"Anyone" no just 1 particular person I think you will accurately find. It only happens time after time with that same person & there's nothing personal about it & I "flounce" off because it's futile arguing & I know you are compelled to get the last word in, it's an adult thing to do realizing a discussion is futile & quite frankly I've got better things to do than argue the toss all day & night with a complete stranger on a internet MB & I will flounce off again as it's my last post on this particular subject.

See what I mean?
This user liked this post: DCWat

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:22 pm

I’ve just posted an article about a social media guy rating our academy and straight away I’m now thinking if I should have posted it as it may cause an argument.Is there a system in place where the poster can remove an article similar to a Facebook post?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:15 am

As Tony says, posters on here can control this abuse themselves by:

1. Not being abusive.
2. Not responding to abusers.
3. Reporting abuse.

It's not difficult at all.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:02 am

Well said Tony. I cannot understand why some people feel the need to abuse fellow human beings in the way some people do on here. If you feel someone is trolling, don't engage with them. It really is that simple. If someone's views don't align with yours then argue your case in a reasonable manner if you so wish, without resorting to personal online insults, no matter what you may feel privately.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 pm

We’ve had these warning posts before and some of the posters who cause the issues are quick to ‘like’ it as though it exonerates them from any blame. Two way tit for tats are best avoided and I don’t know why people don’t use the Foe button more. I’ve had 3 or 4 on mine for some time and it works well. Unless another poster quotes them you can’t see anything they post.
These 2 users liked this post: MeeActon1 evensteadiereddie

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:26 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 pm
We’ve had these warning posts before and some of the posters who cause the issues are quick to ‘like’ it as though it exonerates them from any blame. Two way tit for tats are best avoided and I don’t know why people don’t use the Foe button more. I’ve had 3 or 4 on mine for some time and it works well. Unless another poster quotes them you can’t see anything they post.
.... Or you forget to sign in, which also means you see every post

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:47 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:20 pm
Definitely a few ironic likes on the OP for sure.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:47 pm
Definitely a few ironic likes on the OP for sure.
I agree entirely. The total lack of self awareness from certain posters is quite concerning.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:43 am

One positive is to keep comments to under 20 words not the essays some post.It would resrtict the abuse due to lack of words available.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:45 am

Somethingfishy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm
I agree entirely. The total lack of self awareness from certain posters is quite concerning.
Like - Quod Erat Demonstrandum
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie MeeActon1

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:07 am

:lol:

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:08 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:07 am
On the contrary, there's plenty of self awareness and, I suspect, a bit of pi$$ taking too, Chob.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm

I’m definitely guilty of debate but I do consider myself constructive these days.

With the constant negative posts from the same few negative posters it’s hard not to get suckered in.

I now see how annoying I must have been on here, so I can’t be too hypocritical and complain about it too much. Although I would say I did contribute more than just negativity others didn’t see It that way.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:31 pm

The way I see it there’s two types of negative though, I’d consider my former self more CoolClaret who’s tone is negative but he’s constructive and drives healthy debate.

Then there is the blatant negative trolls, who are on a crash and burn mission to destroy this place.