Fosters Improvement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Fosters Improvement

Post by warksclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:01 pm

Having watched the full game v Villa on SKY, I think I have seen Foster play his best game for our Club. I cannot believe the improvement since the end of last season. A genuine power house, very strong, challenges for everything,great energy and a very good finisher. All his goals this season seem to have been top drawer. He reminds me of Ivan Toney-its reassuring these strikers do exist without having to spend a fortune. Toney cost Brentford £5m, rising higher depending on performances. Adebayo at Luton has scored nearly 40 goals for them and was playing at Bognor Regis 6 years ago. I doubt he broke the bank when Luton sign him but he certainly gave Chelsea something to worry about yesterday

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Re: Fosters Improvement

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:08 pm

It comes as no surprise to posters who listened to VK when he was bought in Jan that he will be for next season. He was never a player who would turn on a six pence and create space in tight spaces (like amdouni), instead he relies on his pace to beat defences in behind, something which a lot of championship teams didn’t do last year as they would camp inside their own half.

This was pointed out at the time and a certain poster still called him pony

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:12 pm

Foster is the biggest suprise of the season for me. He did look pretty bad in the championship. Then we move up a league and all those around him who were playing so brilliantly look shite, while he looks a complete centre forward all of a sudden.

If he plays out the rest of the season he could go a long way towards helping us recoup the summer outlay. If we were able to stay up this season though, he’s the type who could command a big big money fee with another season.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:13 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:08 pm
It comes as no surprise to posters who listened to VK when he was bought in Jan that he will be for next season. He was never a player who would turn on a six pence and create space in tight spaces (like amdouni), instead he relies on his pace to beat defences in behind, something which a lot of championship teams didn’t do last year as they would camp inside their own half.
Did VK ever say that Foster was for next season (as in this season)? Seen this mentioned on here a few times but can’t remember hearing or reading him say this.

As for Foster, his improvement has been immeasurable and he’s such a handful for defenders. I certainly never expected him to become our most important player.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:13 pm

He’s been excellent all season. A shining light. But yesterday was his best yet. I thought his heart gesture to Burnley fans after his goal was a nice moment.

If he keeps up this form then undoubtedly there will be interest, but for this type of player, at this level, we should be in a pretty good position to demand a large fee (£30m+) regardless of what division we are in. Hopefully we can retain him, which he may even prefer, or be advised on.

There was a lot of talk around Gyokeres last season and now he’s being linked with top PL clubs after impressing for Sporting. I think the fee mentioned there is £70m+. I reckon Foster’s play style is very, very similar to his.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3838 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:16 pm

That was definitely his best performance since his return and arguably best for us.

My Villa mates were raving about him on the way home, wanting Villa to bid for him in January. They were amazed at his age.

I also said earlier in the season that he’s starting to remind me of Toney. Absolutely amazing find by Kompany. I didn’t even think his YT clips looked that good when we signed him! How anyone can question his recruitment or coaching ability when you watched him yesterday is beyond me.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5211 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:01 pm
Having watched the full game v Villa on SKY, I think I have seen Foster play his best game for our Club. I cannot believe the improvement since the end of last season. A genuine power house, very strong, challenges for everything,great energy and a very good finisher. All his goals this season seem to have been top drawer. He reminds me of Ivan Toney-its reassuring these strikers do exist without having to spend a fortune. Toney cost Brentford £5m, rising higher depending on performances. Adebayo at Luton has scored nearly 40 goals for them and was playing at Bognor Regis 6 years ago. I doubt he broke the bank when Luton sign him but he certainly gave Chelsea something to worry about yesterday
All of that plus he's got great awareness and technique around his interplay and ability to spot and create for others like our first goal against Fulham where his little layoff to Odobert created the shooting chance perfectly.

Only worry is that if he can consistently keep to this level and we go down it will be a hell of a challenge to keep hold of him.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:13 pm
He’s been excellent all season. A shining light. But yesterday was his best yet. I thought his heart gesture to Burnley fans after his goal was a nice moment.

If he keeps up this form then undoubtedly there will be interest, but for this type of player, at this level, we should be in a pretty good position to demand a large fee (£30m+) regardless of what division we are in. Hopefully we can retain him, which he may even prefer, or be advised on.

There was a lot of talk around Gyokeres last season and now he’s being linked with top PL clubs after impressing for Sporting. I think the fee mentioned there is £70m+. I reckon Foster’s play style is very, very similar to his.
Good point about Gyokeres. I’m not sure on him (we contained him easily last year) and doubt anyone will stump up those kind of fees mentioned at £70m but if anyone pays that, it immediately puts Foster in the same bracket.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:23 pm

Its genuinely one of the most exciting number 9 performances ive seen from anyone in a Burnley shirt.
Technically and physically excellent but on top of that he works hard and makes runs in behind testing the defence constantly.
We may have an absolute star on our hands, if we can keep him fit and mentally healthy then we are talking 50 million even if we go down. There would be many clubs interested as well which could push the price higher.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:28 pm

Not sure I understand the clamour for receiving a large transfer fee. I’d rather we retain our best players than line the owners’ pockets.

ecc
Been Liked: 1443 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:32 pm

The usual sniping.

Why not concentrate on one of the few positives. His goalscoring ratio is very good alone. It's looking like we're be back in the second tier but to have a young PL scorer is a massive boost for the club and the fans.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 pm

Massive improvement. He looks much better when side by side against an opponent, he muscles in and gives it back, when he first arrived he was outmuscled in most situations. We need to keep him and bring in some better quality along side him.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Couldn’t get the ball off the centre backs last season but balls over the top now he is eating them up. Just wish his team mates showed his enthusiasm and fight.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:42 pm

Possibly the best centre forward performance for us at this level since Ashley Barnes against City a number of years ago.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3876 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:46 pm

Most foreign players need time to settle.

His type of player was not suited to our style of football in the championship, where most teams sat on the edge of their box.
He needs space to run into to use his pace.

Not him with his back to goal while we knock 250 passes together.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:48 pm

Best and most improved player this season by some distance.
The only games he was not up to his usual standards is when he was getting his match fitness back.
Even when we were getting schooled earlier in the season he was often our only outlet and still giving teams a battle on his own.

Amdouni unfortunately is often too far away from him - he comes to deep and lacks positional sense or much of a football brain to me. Hopefully he’ll develop this as he does seem to have a lot of skill and 2 good feet.

My concern for Foster is that he seems to have to make a lot of his opportunities himself. He’s done that brilliantly but we need to create more chances for him. I can’t remember many crosses this season to his head or feet or getting to the byline and pulling it back to him.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5177 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:55 pm

He just bullied some outplayed some of the best centrebacks in the Prem.

He's made himself essential to us.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:59 pm

He will just get better that's for sure ...

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Given his physical attributes I was surprised that Trafford chose to kick to Amdouni v Liverpool, though that could be because Lyle was being marked by van Dijk.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:13 pm
Did VK ever say that Foster was for next season (as in this season)? Seen this mentioned on here a few times but can’t remember hearing or reading him say this.

As for Foster, his improvement has been immeasurable and he’s such a handful for defenders. I certainly never expected him to become our most important player.
I think it was in MtB - Kompany said a few things: 1. He was a PL striker for £8m, when we get to the PL he’d cost double, then 2. later when the Board were asking why he’s not playing Kompany said words the effect of he’s being prepared for the Premier League.

And on this years showing it looks like they did a top job.

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:05 pm

Looking a fantastic player now full of heart and commitment.

Hate to say it but he would fit right in at Man UTD and looks like the player they desperately need.

BUT, that would cost them 70 to 80 Mill +

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:25 pm

No way we keep hold of him if we go down.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:28 pm
Not sure I understand the clamour for receiving a large transfer fee. I’d rather we retain our best players than line the owners’ pockets.
Thats who we are now its naive to think we can keep him tbh if we go down. Also it wouldnt be worth the risk of keeping him when we know he has problems with his mental health, better to cash in at peak value and find someone that is more likely to handle a 46 game championship season.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:51 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:04 pm
I think it was in MtB - Kompany said a few things: 1. He was a PL striker for £8m, when we get to the PL he’d cost double, then 2. later when the Board were asking why he’s not playing Kompany said words the effect of he’s being prepared for the Premier League.

And on this years showing it looks like they did a top job.
I recall him saying that Foster would be the cheapest striker in the Premier League but don’t remember anything about him being signed specifically for a Premier League campaign.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:53 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Thats who we are now its naive to think we can keep him tbh if we go down. Also it wouldnt be worth the risk of keeping him when we know he has problems with his mental health, better to cash in at peak value and find someone that is more likely to handle a 46 game championship season.
I wouldn’t say it’s naive. Foster may be happy to stay at Burnley if he’s confident we will bounce straight up. And your comments re his mental health are a bit crass, yet the fact that he suffers with mental health issues may in fact be a reason for him wanting to stay at Burnley.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:07 pm

VK said in the documentary last season that buying Foster at the price they then paid would reap dividends as a player of similar ilk would cost plenty more in the PL.

How right he was.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:53 pm
I wouldn’t say it’s naive. Foster may be happy to stay at Burnley if he’s confident we will bounce straight up. And your comments re his mental health are a bit crass, yet the fact that he suffers with mental health issues may in fact be a reason for him wanting to stay at Burnley.
Its a business, football is a cut throat industry. They have to think about worse case scenarios, which is we go down and his issues flare up again. Then we have a massively depreciated asset and no premier league. I doubt him wanting to stay will really come into it, didn't Mcneil want to stay?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5665 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:29 pm

staggering what a bit of patience can produce

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:30 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pm
Its a business, football is a cut throat industry. They have to think about worse case scenarios, which is we go down and his issues flare up again. Then we have a massively depreciated asset and no premier league. I doubt him wanting to stay will really come into it, didn't Mcneil want to stay?
We were in a different position last time we got relegated. If we sell all of our best players if/when relegated then we are basically rinsing and repeating if we win promotion again.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Our plan is to constantly 'rinse and repeat' in terms of buying cheap and selling on at peak value regardless of what level we are at. The wingers might stay because you could argue they arent at peak value, Foster is more risky

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:36 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:33 pm
Our plan is to constantly 'rinse and repeat' in terms of buying cheap and selling on at peak value regardless of what level we are at. The wingers might stay because you could argue they arent at peak value, Foster is more risky
Surely the plan is to become an ‘established’ Premier League club. I doubt the owners want to see us playing in the Championship.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:38 pm

I don't think it is Lyle's best interest for the sake of his mental wellbeing to consider a move at the moment. The words from Kompany about South Africa's decision to omit him from their AFCON squad, "He needs to be within a small group as he recovers," say it all. No way does he need the pressure of a big money move with the press interest that follows.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:42 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:36 pm
Surely the plan is to become an ‘established’ Premier League club. I doubt the owners want to see us playing in the Championship.
Sure but their method of doing that is by trading young players. That doesnt mean selling everybody, just when the people in charge think a player is at his peak value i'd imagine or if theres too much risk in not selling.

I think theres a big chance of them selling Brownhill for that exact reason.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:49 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:42 pm
Sure but their method of doing that is by trading young players. That doesnt mean selling everybody, just when the people in charge think a player is at his peak value i'd imagine or if theres too much risk in not selling.

I think theres a big chance of them selling Brownhill for that exact reason.
Yes sure, we’re obviously going down the route of player trading. But if we are to make a better fist at becoming a top level side again we can’t be naive enough to think we can sign a brand new inexperienced squad upon promotion.

But my first point was mainly at not understanding the giddiness about what Foster may be worth as I’d rather watch better players than line the pockets of our owners.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:51 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:49 pm
Yes sure, we’re obviously going down the route of player trading. But if we are to make a better fist at becoming a top level side again we can’t be naive enough to think we can sign a brand new inexperienced squad upon promotion.

But my first point was mainly at not understanding the giddiness about what Foster may be worth as I’d rather watch better players than line the pockets of our owners.
Wouldn't we all. I think thats a seperate debate about the direction which English football has gone.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:25 pm
The Sky Soccer Saturday pundit covering our game yesterday was ex player Steve Sidwell and during the second half commented “Lyle Foster has been really excellent and wouldn’t look out of place in a top six side”.
If Lyle stays fit and well, and continues his rate of progression scoring goals, I would be shocked if he is plying his trade next season in the Championship.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:57 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:25 pm
Would he want to move to another club with his issues? He seems to look happy at the minute but moving could easily knock him back. Staying put might be better for him.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:03 pm

Commy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:57 pm
Would he want to move to another club with his issues? He seems to look happy at the minute but moving could easily knock him back. Staying put might be better for him.
Playing in the division below when established PL clubs are showing an interest could also knock him back.
All pure conjecture as to what is best for the player.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1186 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:05 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:03 pm
Playing in the division below when established PL clubs are showing an interest could also knock him back.
All pure conjecture as to what is best for the player.
I'm pretty sure doubling somebody's pay packet might go some way into smoothing any bumps over. Yet again conjecture.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:09 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:28 pm
You know we’ve changed owners right?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:16 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:09 pm
You know we’ve changed owners right?
Don’t think we have.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:32 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:16 pm
Don’t think we have.
Pace isn’t about lining his pockets.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:36 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:32 pm
Pace isn’t about lining his pockets.
:lol: Really? This is an altruistic pursuit?

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:42 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:05 pm
I'm pretty sure doubling somebody's pay packet might go some way into smoothing any bumps over. Yet again conjecture.
Mental Health issues are NOT solved by money!

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:47 pm

Despite it being a terrible season so far Foster is the one big plus. He looks a far better player than last year. He has strength and power and looks the real deal. It’s a shame he was missing for a while.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:55 pm

It's no co-incidence Foster was likely to have a good game yesterday and not, for example, against the likes of Everton because Villa play a high line and the like of Everton don't ....

He also scored against Villa in the opening game of the season

His pace is a real asset and he will attract bigger clubs if he continues in this form - no doubt.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1186 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:56 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:42 pm
Mental Health issues are NOT solved by money!
That’s true but I’d wager the outcome if you had a poor man & a rich man with the same mental health issue who’d end up better off. Affording the best psychiatrist & care compared to somebody who’s on a NHS waiting list.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:08 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:51 pm
The Sky Soccer Saturday pundit covering our game yesterday was ex player Steve Sidwell and during the second half commented “Lyle Foster has been really excellent and wouldn’t look out of place in a top six side”.
If Lyle stays fit and well, and continues his rate of progression scoring goals, I would be shocked if he is plying his trade next season in the Championship.
I've not seen Steve Sidwell on Sky before. Very impressive in describing the game.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:24 pm

The finish past Martinez at his near post was top class.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:31 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:24 pm
The finish past Martinez at his near post was top class.
Has someone hacked your account?

Or is it a new year resolution to say nice things about our players