My Prostrate Diagnosis

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

My Prostrate Diagnosis

Post by beddie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:15 pm

Apologies for doing another thread but I didn’t want anyone to miss it.

As some on here wanted an update after my visit last night to the Hospital to see the Urologist here it is

Background.
A total knee replacement on 10/01 resulted in me not being able to pee, they kept me in for a further 2 days but I still couldn’t pee. A catheter was fitted, I had to come back a week later for the catheter to be removed and spend the day at Hospital drinking as much water as I could in 6 hours, any peeing in that time had to be measured, by tea time they decided another catheter had to be fitted and a Urologist appointment was made as I still had a litre of water in my bladder that wouldn’t come out.

Last night the Urologist gave me a thorough examination and concluded I have an enlarged prostrate, it will require surgery. The best way he explained it was to imagine an orange, the pith inside the orange has to be completely cut away into very small pieces so it can be flushed out through the penis tube. The outer orange skin stays as it is. Many on here will know the operation is called a TURP-Trans-urethral resection of the prostate - should you wish to look it up. it will require either a general anaesthetic or a spinal, the operation should last around 60 to 90 minutes. I’m waiting for a date now but still wearing the catheter :x Because I’ve recently had the knee op it may be too soon to do the TURP although they’re looking into that.

Symptons. Peeing more frequently and urgently, Finding it difficult to begin peeing, Accidentally leaking pee, Straining to pee
Needing to pee during the night, Difficulty fully emptying your bladder.

Can I suggest for any man that’s suffering any of the above symptoms regardless of whether you go for a yearly blood test to check your PSA you should immediately see your Doctor as treating it early is the best way of preventing further problems. I was told that a PSA test is only a guide.

One final thing. I’ve had yearly Blood tests via my Doctor and they’ve always shown my PSA to be in the right scale. Ive had peeing problems as mentioned in the symptoms above for sometime but did nothing about it, my wife would constantly be on at me to see the Doctor, I said I would but kept putting it off. Without the knee op I’d have probably allowed the problem to continue.

So Gentleman if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above please, please see your Doctor. Just think about your partner or loved ones and do it for them.

Thanks everyone for your good luck messages. I’ll keep you posted when I get a date etc.
These 19 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Croydon Claret yTib ŽižkovClaret bfcjg Clarets4me whiffa Paul Waine Jellybean Casper2 JimmyRobbo mkmel longsidepies Tribesmen Foshiznik Belial Bob Lorder Taffy on the wing DCWat

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: My Prostrate Diagnosis

Post by Lip » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 pm

Thanks for your update and good luck with your treatment Beddie 👍

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:19 pm

All the best and good advice to others experiencing the same thing :D

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:19 pm

Thanks, Beddie.
All the best.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:28 pm

May I commend you in being so open about your recent difficulties. I am absolutely certain that there will be several other users of the messageboard who have, or will, experience some of your symptoms, and you may very well have just helped them. Thank you! Best wishes to yourself. Keep us all updated.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:32 pm

Thank you Beddie, hope everything goes well for you.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12497 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:33 pm

I had the operation to deal with my enlarged prostate at Burnley Hospital in Sept 2021. Happy to share the experience or offer advice.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:40 pm

All the best Beddie!! Hope all goes well….

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:45 pm

As a result of your post, beddie, I ordered a home PSA test from the BKPCA.

I actually tried to do the finger prick test a couple of days ago, but despite using 3 lancets, I was unable to extract enough blood.
It is NOT painful, it's just quite tricky to catch the blood before the small hole heals again. I'm going to order some more, or just book in (probably the latter to be honest to ensure it happens.)

Thanks for your candour on this crucial matter. (As a result, I'm happy to share my experience above, albeit super trivial.)
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:52 pm

Good luck Beddie 🤞

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Listen to Beddie - get your PSA checked, it could save your life.

Best of luck Beddie

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:45 pm

I actually tried to do the finger prick test a couple of days ago, but despite using 3 lancets, I was unable to extract enough blood.
It is NOT painful, it's just quite tricky to catch the blood before the small hole heals again. I'm going to order some more, or just book in (probably the latter to be honest to ensure it happens.)

Thanks for your candour on this crucial matter. (As a result, I'm happy to share my experience above, albeit super trivial.)
I had the same problem last year, could barely get a drop. Ended up using the ring finger as a third option which, although more painful to lance, gushed more blood than I needed
This user liked this post: Leon_C

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 pm

I have all them symptoms unfortunately, I am waiting for an appointment with Rapid Action Clinic in Ireland, I also have a PSA of 27 normally 0.5 , anyway good luck with your op, hopefully all sorted for you soon.

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:03 pm

brave post beddie and thanks for the advice regarding symptoms.

get well soon.

Lakester_2023
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Lakester_2023 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:10 pm

PSA normal but diagnosed enlarged prostate last year. Was told operating could cause incontinence and / or impotence and was given the option to put up with the symptoms, which I do. Thoughts?
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:22 pm

Wishing you all the best, beddie.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:27 pm

All the best Beddie m8

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:27 pm

Best wishes, Beddie and thanks for your update. If it helps one person you are a star.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:30 pm

All the best with your treatment Beddie.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:38 pm

All the very best Beddie
Hope all goes well .

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:38 pm

All best wishes, Beddie !

As a long time poster, I'm aware of the provenance of your " username " ... if not, I might be tempted to think that the perennial question of whether HRH King Charles III really is a Burnley fan had been finally answered .. " Beddie " being his little pun on the " Royal Bed Chamber " 8-)

jos
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by jos » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:41 pm

Thanks Beddie, good info and good luck.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:44 pm

Lakester_2023 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:10 pm
PSA normal but diagnosed enlarged prostate last year. Was told operating could cause incontinence and / or impotence and was given the option to put up with the symptoms, which I do. Thoughts?
I think that is a very good decision.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:15 pm

As some on here wanted an update after my visit last night to the Hospital to see the Urologist here it is

Background.
A total knee replacement on 10/01 resulted in me not being able to pee, they kept me in for a further 2 days but I still couldn’t pee. A catheter was fitted, I had to come back a week later for the catheter to be removed and spend the day at Hospital drinking as much water as I could in 6 hours, any peeing in that time had to be measured, by tea time they decided another catheter had to be fitted and a Urologist appointment was made as I still had a litre of water in my bladder that wouldn’t come out.

Last night the Urologist gave me a thorough examination and concluded I have an enlarged prostrate, it will require surgery. The best way he explained it was to imagine an orange, the pith inside the orange has to be completely cut away into very small pieces so it can be flushed out through the penis tube. The outer orange skin stays as it is. Many on here will know the operation is called a TURP-Trans-urethral resection of the prostate - should you wish to look it up. it will require either a general anaesthetic or a spinal, the operation should last around 60 to 90 minutes. I’m waiting for a date now but still wearing the catheter :x Because I’ve recently had the knee op it may be too soon to do the TURP although they’re looking into that.

Symptons. Peeing more frequently and urgently, Finding it difficult to begin peeing, Accidentally leaking pee, Straining to pee

This is uncannily similar - the whole scenario including the knee replacement - to my mate who is awaiting the follow up consultancy after a scan last week. His op was on 15th November and he still yet has a catheter and bag fitted.

Good luck with your next stage.

Can I suggest for any man that’s suffering any of the above symptoms regardless of whether you go for a yearly blood test to check your PSA you should immediately see your Doctor as treating it early is the best way of preventing further problems. I was told that a PSA test is only a guide.

One final thing. I’ve had yearly Blood tests via my Doctor and they’ve always shown my PSA to be in the right scale. Ive had peeing problems as mentioned in the symptoms above for sometime but did nothing about it, my wife would constantly be on at me to see the Doctor, I said I would but kept putting it off. Without the knee op I’d have probably allowed the problem to continue.

So Gentleman if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above please, please see your Doctor. Just think about your partner or loved ones and do it for them.

Thanks everyone for your good luck messages. I’ll keep you posted when I get a date etc.

ALP
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 388 times

Post by ALP » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:03 pm

Thanks for the update Beddie, I hope they can get you sorted soon.

A good friend of mine returned a PSA of 35, got it removed and now being monitored.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:18 pm

Thanks for that update on your prostate condition Beddie and fingers crossed that all goes well.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:00 pm

Best of luck Beddie and thanks for sharing with us male humans. It is difficult for us-I met up with someone yesterday who had had his prostate removed and the PSA tests had been negilibile-well below 2.0 Luckily he spotted traces of blood in his urine which led to a biopsy

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:24 pm

May your health be great and your op go well. Good luck and to yours who will be worrying, at this time.

Jellybean
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Jellybean » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 pm

Thanks for the update beddie, and wishing you all the best when your time comes to have the op, I guess knowing the situation and plan now probably gives you a bit of peace of mind. And as you say, to all those men with symptoms just get yourself to the doctor!

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:56 pm

Lakester_2023 wrote:
Ask about a urolift non invasive and worked for me .

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Re: My Prostate Diagnosis

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:00 pm

Thanks for details on your enlarged prostate treatment, beddie. I've had hyper enlarged prostate for a few years, including most of symptoms you list. Given King Charles announcing his enlarged prostate treatment there's been a lot in the media. Some reports say 80% of males over 70 have this condition.

Distinction between enlarged prostate and prostate cancer is important. They are different things and one doesn't imply the other. However, I have a good friend who was visiting the gents a lot and he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer in the last few months. (I include PSA check with my annual cardiovascular disease medication annual check).

Before King Charles publicity I wasn't aware surgery was a treatment option. The details you provide is good information. I'd not heard of TURPS before. It's not something I need up to now, but good to know. For now, I'll continue visiting gents before kick-off, at half-time and at the final whistle.

Casper2

Post by Casper2 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:15 pm

Background.

Has a urolift not been mentioned Beddie ?

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:24 pm

Thank you! Very best wishes

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:24 pm

Lakester_2023 wrote:
just depends, i had prostate operation last year because i wasn't weeing properly and they shaved away inside and it worked for a while, i was incontinence for a week but it got better ..

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:28 pm

I would urge everyone over 50 to get a PSA test it could save your life , you don't always have to have symptoms to have prostate cancer i can assure you..

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:54 am

Good luck Beddie

In case this helps others this is the post I sent to Beddie about a week ago

Stop worrying about the op/procedure. It is nothing to worry about.
I had a massive prostate so I had what is called a Holep laser op. My Consultant recommended that I had this Holep operation as it is better for men with large prostates. For normal size prostates they will do a Turps op/ procedure.
It lasted about 2 - 3 hours and I was put out under general anaesthetic. I felt nothing during the op and the only pain if you can call it a pain has been a short 2 second stinging sensation in my penis about 3 times in the first week after the op. Since then no pain.
They kept me in overnight as a precaution they said because of the size of my massive prostate/the large amount of prostate that they had lasered out to make it smaller. Recovery for me was instant. There are possible side effects and even those can be overcome in time.
Mine was a success and I can now pee over a small wall if I wanted to 😁
And I am so happy I had it
So don't worry!
Go for it!
I wish you good luck!
Thanks Mel for the information. Unfortunately I’m one of life’s worriers. You’ve reassured me and I thank you for that. Glad yours has been successful. Best wishes. Joe
These 3 users liked this post: Clive 1960 beddie Foshiznik

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:05 am

I also want to very strongly recommend to you guys of a certain age to definitely book a PSA test. I had my first one back in 2011 and had a biopsy after which I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My Gleason score was 6 so very low level of cancer. This meant I was put on watch and observe which lasted until I was discharged in about 2017. In between those years I had a further 3 biopsies all of which came back negative.
In a few weeks time I will be 73.
And I'm still here!
And I'm still handsome! 😁
So please guys get booked in for your PSA test.
It could save your life!
These 2 users liked this post: Jellybean Foshiznik

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:33 am

:lol: 6
mkmel wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:05 am
I also want to very strongly recommend to you guys of a certain age to definitely book a PSA test. I had my first one back in 2011 and had a biopsy after which I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My Gleason score was 6 so very low level of cancer. This meant I was put on watch and observe which lasted until I was discharged in about 2017. In between those years I had a further 3 biopsies all of which came back negative.
In a few weeks time I will be 73.
And I'm still here!
And I'm still handsome! 😁
So please guys get booked in for your PSA test.
It could save your life!

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:39 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:33 am
:lol: 6
I just like to add you don't have to have any symptoms to have prostate cancer a friend of mine just thought he would have a PSA test because of what had happened in his family recently and test came back positive and after biopsies and scan found a tumour so underwent a further PET SCAN to see if it had spread luckily for him it hadn't and is booked in next Monday to have prostate operation..

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:41 am

ignore the laughing face and 6 don't know what i did wrong because prostate isn't a laughing matter..

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:04 am

Best wishes, beddie. All the best with the operation when it arrives and your recovery.

It's probably a good time to remind the over 40s on here who haven't had a PSA test of the Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal: https://bkpca.mypsatests.org.uk/.

There are upcoming testing events locally on 23 March at Turf Moor and 13 April at Burnley Golf Club.

The cost of the test is just £20, which could be the best £20 you've ever spent, and it would of course be supporting Barry Kilby's charity.
These 2 users liked this post: Jellybean beddie

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 am

Casper2 Thank you for the information regarding Urolift. I’ve had a good read and intend to investigate it further. Regards Joe.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am

PSA is only a guide?

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:57 am

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am
PSA is only a guide?
Yes it is only a guide. The numbers can be misleading as they can be taken as underscore no issue, but there could be an issue, or overscore issue, but not an issue. Follow your symptoms.
If in any doubt get it checked out, the earlier the better.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1161 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am
PSA is only a guide?
As explained to me, PSA is just a test of general prostate health. It doesn't detect cancer specifically.

A raised score doesn't necessarily indicate cancer, just that something is amiss that needs further investigation
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:52 am

Croydon Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am
As explained to me, PSA is just a test of general prostate health. It doesn't detect cancer specifically.

A raised score doesn't necessarily indicate cancer, just that something is amiss that needs further investigation
They have a better idea when they examine you and then the scan and biopsies confirm it ..
This user liked this post: Croydon Claret

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:20 pm

Good man Beddie , love it when other put up their story on here , hey so many of us who have or had prostate problems we could have a whatsapp group .

GET CHECKED GENTS ......................

Casper2

Post by Casper2 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:39 pm

beddie wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15 am
Casper2 Thank you for the information regarding Urolift. I’ve had a good read and intend to investigate it further. Regards Joe.
If you need any personal experience dont hesitate to PM me

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:58 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:45 pm

I pay for some blood tests a couple of times a year - out of intrigue and trying to look after myself following an elevated level a few years ago. The first couple of time like you I struggled to get blood out.

What I realised after a few times was that you need to lay your finger flat on a surface then really push onto it - if you hold your finger in the air it won't work. If it starts to slow down again, quickly rub the puncture with a paper towel so it opens it back up again. Oh and make sure you keep your hand low, and keep squeezing from your elbow down your forearm and hand to help the blood flow
This user liked this post: Leon_C

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:02 pm

Nice one Beddie - I have been sent for tests next week as a check up showed my kidney hadn't been removing waste as it should - I explained that I pee for England, and the doc has sent me for a kidney test and PSA at the same time