World Cup only international tournament

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

World Cup only international tournament

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:06 am

Personally I feel the development of a larger World Cup has perhaps negated the need for other tournaments that impact on domestic leagues
Scrapping Afcon.Euros and Asia Cup is imo the way to go.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2011 times

Re: World Cup only international tournament

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:48 am

I take it you are referring to disrupting European domestic leagues?
The Euros is a great tournament and fits in snuggly in the middle of World Cup cycle.
AFCON needs to go the same way, on a four year cycle. Shame it’s a Winter comp. but understandable.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 am

UEFA are expanding the Champions League to make more revenue, I very much doubt they'll cancel the Euros and give that money up.
If it makes FIFA or UEFA money then it's being expanded to make more.
Football is about greed these days, nothing else.

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:11 am

Spot on Bumba sod the fans My team is Burnley I don't give a monkeys about England or any other competition.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:49 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:06 am
Personally I feel the development of a larger World Cup has perhaps negated the need for other tournaments that impact on domestic leagues
Scrapping Afcon.Euros and Asia Cup is imo the way to go.
Dear Mr. Woodleyclaret,

Thank you for your application to join the Revenue Generation team here at FIFA.

Unfortuantley, I regret to inform you that on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Gianni.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:59 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:11 am
Spot on Bumba sod the fans My team is Burnley I don't give a monkeys about England or any other competition.
The attitude of I don't like the greed in football but I am fine with my own selfishness isn't a good look

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 am

Yep let’s just stick with the Premier League and it’s “not for profit” ethos.
It’s fantastic to be part of a league which is not driven by money. All of our clubs are safe in the hands of our traditional local owners whose only priority is to ensure the community and the fans come first - ALWAYS.

Damn those stinky foreigners wanting to play silly international tournaments. Especially AFCON - what’s all that about ? Wanting to grow football in the most deprived continent in the world. What’s the point ? Any African player should be happy to have the privilege of playing 10,000 away from their home in the Premier League. It’s the PL that pay their wages…..and they should ruddy well remember that when they go swanning back to Africa for their silly cups.

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:44 pm

So some are happy for FiFa to wreck our leagues it takes all sorts .I never criticise anyone no matter what nonsense they post.

RickyBobby
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by RickyBobby » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:27 pm

We will have more international competitions for both clubs and country's as that is where the money is, not less.
Over the next few decades I expect the league cup to suffer and a least the clubs in Europe not being in it, and the premier league to drip to 18 or even 16 teams like in Germany and Portugal so more international games can be played.
The premier league is only a worldwide draw when the big clubs play each other. If worldwide viewing figures are higher for international games then there will be more international games.
A possibility is to do a Scotland and have a 10 team league of big clubs playing each other 4 times a season to really maximise revenue, but I don‘t think they will go that far, yet. One thing for sure is the number of international games will decrease and the number of domestic games will decrease.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:34 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:44 pm
So some are happy for FiFa to wreck our leagues it takes all sorts .I never criticise anyone no matter what nonsense they post.
Believe it or not FIFA is an organisation that represents world football not English first tier football.

If the Premier League cared one jot about anything other than money it would have a proper international break in January which would mean that tournaments like AFCON and the Asia Cup could happen without much impact on the league.

If the players did not want to play for their countries they can choose not to. But for 99% of them it remains the biggest honour and more important than playing for their club team. You think Modric, Gvardiol etc would for one second prefer to play for their clubs than Croatia ?

If FIFA were “wrecking” our league as you put it why is still the most watched and lucrative domestic league in the world ?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:38 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:44 pm
How on earth is a league wrecked ? You make daft posts and never seem capable of making a sensible point

If you got your way and there was just 1 tournament every 4 years do you the the FA's of all the countries around the world wouldn't play friendlies at the same times of each year ?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:43 pm

AFCON is a great competition. Clubs know full well that their players might miss a few games to play at AFCON when they sign them, then cry arse when they actually go there. (Very much excluding Lyle from this as circumstances are very different).

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:57 pm

It's a staggering self-centred arrogance to want to cancel continental tournaments because they interfere with the football you like personally.