Rosenior comment last night on Hull performance

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Rosenior comment last night on Hull performance

Post by cblantfanclub » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:36 am

Hull won last night at Southampton and Liaim Rosenior said of the performance -

"People might say it's a great performance tactically but it's not tactics, it's an appetite to run and fight, and a bravery to play."

I couldn't help think we could do with a bit of that.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Re: Rosenior comment last night on Hull performance

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 am

cblantfanclub wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:36 am

"People might say it's a great performance tactically but it's not tactics, it's an appetite to run and fight, and a bravery to play."

Proving to be a decent manager, I have a lot of time for how Rosenior is doing the job at Hull.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret JohnDearyMe

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am

cblantfanclub wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:36 am

It isn't that simple though, especially with a young squad, new to this country, new to this league.
You build a team around experienced solid performers. Hence a strong spine down the middle.
We screwed up badly with hindsight, not keeping, or buying a couple of leaders on the pitch.
I suspect, although it's only an opinion, that AP and VK looked at experienced old pros, and couldn't see a sell on value. Where as their value isn’t in reselling, but in what they bring to the team and these young lads.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 am
It isn't that simple though, especially with a young squad, new to this country, new to this league.
You build a team around experienced solid performers. Hence a strong spine down the middle.
We screwed up badly with hindsight, not keeping, or buying a couple of leaders on the pitch.
I suspect, although it's only an opinion, that AP and VK looked at experienced old pros, and couldn't see a sell on value. Where as their value isn’t in reselling, but in what they bring to the team and these young lads.
Indeed. Throw a Mee and Pope into the team and we’d be staying up
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32555 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am

Marney&Mee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 am
Good characters with experience which is what's needed to build a strong dressing room

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am
Good characters with experience which is what's needed to build a strong dressing room
To be fair they had very little experience when we signed them.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2003 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:44 am

But Rosenior has a guy called Zaroury playing for him. Just imagine if we had him !!
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:46 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am
Indeed. In fact I’d say with a Mee or Tarkowski at the back we’d be staying up. They wouldn’t let any teams bully Trafford, stand in front of him etc.

Scandalous really that Kompany didn’t buy a mini him as centre back and captain to lead the team and provide the crucial backbone

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32555 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 am

Goliath wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 am
Pope arrived into an already strong dressing room of which Mee had become part.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret mybloodisclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3837 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:50 am

Marney&Mee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 am
I can’t really say I agree. I think both would help us playing wise, if that’s what you mean.

But in terms of their character helping us stay up/build a strong dressing room, I’d argue we still have Charlie, JBG, Cork, JRod and Browny in that dressing room. They should be bringing the experience and leadership.

I don’t see that one or two additions of calibre really shift the dial when you have 5 or more already in there. And it’s worth remembering we got relegated with them in the side, albeit made a better fist of it.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 am

Goliath wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:42 am
Mee was signed by Howe and already had some experience even then going out on loan to Leicester.
Pope had to bide his time before he was picked and was behind one of the best keepers in our history.
Tarks had to do the same thing.
Collins had to do the same thing.

And when we did blood youngsters they were always surrounded by experienced and senior players under Dyche.

I am struggling to think of many teams in the EPL that have ever succeeded doing what we are this season. Even the famous United “can’t win anything with kids” team were surrounded by very experienced and quality players
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:56 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
We signed a bunch of youngster who look at us like a stepping stone to something great. Just walking about the pitch, only playing now and again and not putting in much effort and the world will just be willing to drop everything for them.

What we had with Dyche was a team of players who knew it could be their one and only chance of playing at the top level and they weren’t willing to let anybody take that away from them.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm

A great career beckons, if VK walks or is binned we could do worse than go for Rosenior

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:14 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 am
Mee was signed by Howe and already had some experience even then going out on loan to Leicester.
Pope had to bide his time before he was picked and was behind one of the best keepers in our history.
Tarks had to do the same thing.
Collins had to do the same thing.

And when we did blood youngsters they were always surrounded by experienced and senior players under Dyche.

I am struggling to think of many teams in the EPL that have ever succeeded doing what we are this season. Even the famous United “can’t win anything with kids” team were surrounded by very experienced and quality players
Im neither agreeing or disagreeing. Just pointing out that the 2 players mentioned were probably bad examples because they developed with us and became good experienced pro's through their time with us.
Mee was possibly at the same level of experience as Beyer when he signed.

I think we have enough experience in the squad, we just dont use it enough. We have 4 players over 30 by my count plus Brownhill who has plenty of experience.

Mixedkompany
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Mixedkompany » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:24 pm

We might have some experienced players in Cork, JBG, Taylor, JRod and Browny, however, none of them were initial first choice picks.
They have been in and out of the team or not in at all. Also injured at times, Taylor being the current one.
They may be experienced but if they rarely play and know they are not deemed worthy for the long haul. I don’t think that’s an effective experienced spine to keep us up. Tarks and Mee became established and then ever present. Last seasons ever present spine was dropped and essentially replaced or injured.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:29 pm

Goliath wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:14 pm
Im neither agreeing or disagreeing. Just pointing out that the 2 players mentioned were probably bad examples because they developed with us and became good experienced pro's through their time with us.
Mee was possibly at the same level of experience as Beyer when he signed.

I think we have enough experience in the squad, we just dont use it enough. We have 4 players over 30 by my count plus Brownhill who has plenty of experience.
They may aswell be cleaning boots if you aren’t going to play them. It’s the leadership and experience on the pitch that is key.
The other obvious thing is that it’s not just about their experience - they also need to be good enough. No point in just playing experienced players if their legs have gone.

The major failing of VK is that he failed to sign any experienced and / or leaders on the pitch.
Ben Mee and Tarks both had the profile of leaders when they were young (look at their roles at their previous clubs).

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 pm

I think it would take more than that now. Earlier in the season maybe,but we are a shambles all over the pitch ATM, nowhere near good enough in many areas,it would take more than two experience leaders to keep us up now

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 pm

When Tarks and Mee left us I was confident that Tarks would continue to do well, and he is definitely showing this of late with some sterling performances. With Mee I thought he would be a great squad player at Brentford and do well when called on. However in the two seasons there he has been quite sensational. Immense defender and loved by their fans

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 am
Pope arrived into an already strong dressing room of which Mee had become part.
& had a year and a bit on the bench! Not just thrusted in on day dot.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:50 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm
A great career beckons, if VK walks or is binned we could do worse than go for Rosenior
Correct, he's doing a great job at Hull

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:29 pm
They may aswell be cleaning boots if you aren’t going to play them. It’s the leadership and experience on the pitch that is key.
The other obvious thing is that it’s not just about their experience - they also need to be good enough. No point in just playing experienced players if their legs have gone.

The major failing of VK is that he failed to sign any experienced and / or leaders on the pitch.
Ben Mee and Tarks both had the profile of leaders when they were young (look at their roles at their previous clubs).
O'shea is reaching his prime and had captained West Brom. Cullen had been a leader for VK at Anderlecht and at Burnley so he probably expected him to play a much bigger part. He brought in Berge who is 26 and has an absolute ton of experience at Premier league and International level along with Redmond, and had Townsend on trial as we know. He also tried to get Milner in who would have been an absolutely fantastic signing. So i dont think its fair to say he didnt target anyone with experience.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Hull have a pretty young team. Plenty of players in their early 20s, although a decent amount of experience in the squad.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 pm

Goliath wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 pm
O'shea is reaching his prime and had captained West Brom. Cullen had been a leader for VK at Anderlecht and at Burnley so he probably expected him to play a much bigger part. He brought in Berge who is 26 and has an absolute ton of experience at Premier league and International level along with Redmond, and had Townsend on trial as we know. He also tried to get Milner in who would have been an absolutely fantastic signing. So i dont think its fair to say he didnt target anyone with experience.
So you think the team that he selects most weeks has enough experience and leadership ?
He decided not to sign Townsend
I have no idea why he signed Redmond and did not play him and used him sparingly as sub.
Not really much chance of getting Milner or Dier given the teams we were up against.

There’s only one person who selects the team every week. He is the one choosing to have so little experience in his team every week.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:19 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 pm
So you think the team that he selects most weeks has enough experience and leadership ?
He decided not to sign Townsend
I have no idea why he signed Redmond and did not play him and used him sparingly as sub.
Not really much chance of getting Milner or Dier given the teams we were up against.

There’s only one person who selects the team every week. He is the one choosing to have so little experience in his team every week.
Not what i said. Just that the idea that hasnt aigned exoerienced players isnt true. Cleary he hasnt used the squad correctly but in terms if age profiles of his targets, i dont think hes a million miles of.
Also remember that to sign an experienced Prem player thats still at that level is going to cost a fortune in wages. Ben Mee for example im guessing is on between 60k to 80k a week. If we look at it neutrally, hes a low end Premier League centre back with a lot of experience.

Also from a quick google the suggestion is Milners one of Brightons higher earners on about 60k a week. Imagine the criticism if we went down that route and then they didnt play because of injuries/fitness or whatever.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:25 pm

I think he maybe saw O'Shea as somebody who could provide some leadership - was captain at West Brom. I do think he should've signed Townsend, who while not necessarily a first team starter, always comes across as a good pro with bags of experience who would've been great in the dressing room. Without labouring a well discussed point, the goalkeeper situation has not been handled well.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:36 pm

O'Shea was club captain at West Brom as mentioned and has definitely shown a bit more leadership on the field but at times this season - like on the fifth goal against Arsenal seems to 'give up' almost and switch off.

It's thing like that which aren't good enough from the squad. Fight to stop a capitulation.

Genuinely think Southampton under Hasenhüttl and the Sheff United squad are primes examples of this - once they both went a few goals down (Especially before halftime) they absolutely capitulate.

Hasenhüttl's lot notably worse - lost 9-0 twice I mean jeez - and they had some decent players.

Counter this with Luton - 2-0 down early on against United and yes, rode their luck at times but they stuck in the game and fought and nearly snatched a point in the end. That's the sort of spirit and resolve that we've really missed this year.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:07 pm

I watched Brentford last night ,apart from Ben Mee not a lot of experience ,but they knew how to battle and made City fight for the win.played quite direct but in Toni had the pace to worry City ,an easy tactical set up ,defend like mad and break quickly ,do we have a tactic apart from after an hour take a winger off and sub him with another winger?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 pm

Looking at Brentford’s team I’d guess most have well over 50 Premier League games under their belts.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5664 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:02 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:07 pm
I watched Brentford last night ,apart from Ben Mee not a lot of experience
Did you watch their Under 21's ? :D :lol:
The team that played against City is packed with experience, most of them have played hundreds of games

Toney 27
Wissa 27
Nørgaard 29
Onyeka 26
Reguilón 27
Jørgensen 33
Ajer 25
Mee 34

the rest are 24 and 25
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:24 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:56 am
We signed a bunch of youngster who look at us like a stepping stone to something great. Just walking about the pitch, only playing now and again and not putting in much effort and the world will just be willing to drop everything for them.

What we had with Dyche was a team of players who knew it could be their one and only chance of playing at the top level and they weren’t willing to let anybody take that away from them.
That's a very simplistic, and unfair assessment of our youngsters. I'm sure they care as much as we do, but when the going gets tough we all rely on those around us.
Leaders aren't created, they're born with it in them. It's why imo, they are worth that bit extra and don't require a resale value. Lots of our youngsters would thrive in a stronger team.

Sgt. Pepper
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Sgt. Pepper » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:16 am

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:56 am

You're right about Dyche getting the most out many journeyman players. However, I'm not sure it's the current younger players fault that they've been put together as a team at the last minute, and seem to lack clear direction.
Kompany doesn't seem to have any idea who his best eleven is, or at times how he would like them to play.
Resilience and confidence are attributes that come with experience, and that is one thing we haven't really got a lot of. I'm not sure Kompany values it either, I mean he did everything could to not pick Charlie Taylor at the start of the season.
For all his achievements as a player this is new ground for Kompany, it will take a great deal for his reputation as a manager to recover.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm

Always thought his dad was one of the better pundits on the football league show but he was never too successful at management. Claridge was terrible.

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 pm

It's gonna be a bloody long season and a damned dull messageboard until the end of it if people are gonna drag up every comment like the OP's to beat our team with.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5664 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:23 pm

It is interesting we all say we don't have leaders. O'Shea captained WBA, Brownhill captained Bristol and it wouldn't surprise me if Berge did it the odd time at Sheff United. I think Cullen was captain at Anderlecht under Kompany too