Relegation Run-In

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1661 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Re: Relegation Run-In

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:54 pm
Forest should lose against City (but we've seen what happened tonight) and then we are relying on them not getting maximum points at Bramall Lane.

The problem is that the door could be left ajar for Luton as well as us.
This is of course true and I would support us over anyone else, but IF we don’t do it, I’d love Luton to.

We can’t have the kind of behaviour we see from Forest (who wanted their statement to go out at half time apparently, during the last match, according to The Times). I’d love Luton to stay up.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3120 times
Has Liked: 3849 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 pm
This is of course true and I would support us over anyone else, but IF we don’t do it, I’d love Luton to.

We can’t have the kind of behaviour we see from Forest (who wanted their statement to go out at half time apparently, during the last match, according to The Times). I’d love Luton to stay up.
I agree that what Forest did was wrong, but how any Burnley fan can want Luton to survive over Forest is beyond me, I have to say Crosspool.

If Luton go down they’ll lose Barkley (will probably lose him anyway) and a few other of their good performers, maybe even Edwards. They’ll be competitive next year but per their last season, more likely play-off contenders I’d say.

Forest have a rich owner and whilst they’ll also lose players who won’t play in the championship, they’ll keep a much stronger squad together and also benefit from the second and third year of parachute payments that we won’t.

If we’re getting relegated we absolutely need to go down with the weakest possible set of teams.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:29 pm

On the run in, I just cannot see it. Luton’s fixtures are too easy to pass them both and Forest will beat Sheff U.

It will take the miracle of all footballing miracles to save us.

SO SO SO frustrating that we’d be a love both of them now were it not for terrible VAR decisions.

distortiondave
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm

The trouble Luton have is that all of their opponents will be expecting to win and will see them as an easy way to climb up a few million quid.
e.g Everton could find a way to say they actually played well enough to finish above Chelsea or some ********, and West Ham won't want to lose at home to them. Nothing to play for teams have a habit of doing well, or terribly.
As a betting man, I won't be including any Luton fixtures on my accas until they are either safe or relegated.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1494 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am

It's now US Forest Luton and Sheffield United perm any 3 to go down. We need to win all our games as last night showed you can't rely on anyone to help you out.Wolves are in free fall and may roll over v Luton .City should best Forest but we need all three points v Manure.Its still all to play for UTC

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 am

I think Sheffield are already down. I'm not counting them. It's 2 of us from the 3. I'd say we had the worst fixtures, Luton th easiest, but they are proper crap at the moment.

I guess form and momentum is on our side, but it's still gonna be a miracle. I'd say we would need 2 wins and a draw minimum

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 3357 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 am

Only losing one in six is really good form from us, but not getting the wins against Brighton (due to the ridiculous own goal), Wolves (due to the non foul) and the win at Chelsea (due to the daft penalty decision) probably means too many draws , so it's unfortunately too little too late, which is a shame. Couple that with the next 3 fixtures and it's difficult to see us keeping our little run going, but you never know.....

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1154 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 am

I really can’t see us staying up. Part of me just wants to leave VAR behind. Glad we’ve started to make a fist of it though as it would be better to start next season having played well.

bfc8
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by bfc8 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 am

4 to go and Sheff Utd plus 2 out of 3, bfc, Luton, Forest, looks likely.
@United, Spurs.
home Newcastle, Forest.

all to play for.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 am

if we beat united we have a real chance and no better time to play them ..

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 3357 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 am

We have to produce a couple of "rabbit from the hat" results, like beating Utd and or Newcastle and maybe snatching a draw at Spurs. I really can't see it. We've definitely improved, but I don't think we've improved that much. Brighton and Wolves at home and Everton away were much better bets and despite playing much better, we didn't make the most unfortunately.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3610 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 am

I cannot see it, but if we took four points from United and Newcastle then I reckon we have a shot at a final day shoot out with Forest.

Unfortunately, I think their chairman's strategy with the VAR complaint debacle has been to put pressure on the FA/Premier League so as to get a further reduced points deduction to shut them up. Knowing how incredibly weak our governing bodies are, I reckon it will work too.

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am

Just as football fans do we deserve to survive ? based on what ? "little old Burnley ? we spent money and have a "high profile" manager now - and if a miracle happened what would be that must different next season ? the gap is huge - virtually gone from being promoted 1st week of April last year to being relegated in April - maybe well before April as cant remember when we were last out of the bottom 3 ? If Luton survive and good luck to them then love to be a fly on the wall for our post mortem, 21 points better than Luton last season, spent more money pre season, had better home gates - jesus

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:33 am

If Forest had their appeal yesterday regarding the points deduction when is the outcome likely to be announced?

As it stands we have to get one point more from Man U., Newcastle & Spurs going into the last game, compared to their fixtures - Man City, Sheff U. & Chelsea

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 am

We might appear to have the toughest fixtures but it's not a bad time to play any of Utd, Newcastle or Spurs.
Getting something Saturday is paramount for confidence.
As well as applying extra pressure on Forest.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am

TopCat wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 am
We might appear to have the toughest fixtures but it's not a bad time to play any of Utd, Newcastle or Spurs.
Getting something Saturday is paramount for confidence.
As well as applying extra pressure on Forest.
It’s not, but United in particular I fear because for all their defensive frailties they are brimming with forward quality that can unlock teams like ours with a pass and shot - like Bruno at the Turf. They really could’ve had 6-8 last night. I think we’ll have to find a way to annul them and hit them with a sucker punch anyway. Fear they’ll let us have the ball and just pick us off otherwise. A bit like Everton.

Newcastle and Spurs are both fighting for Europe so even though they’re hit & miss will be highly motivated.

We’ll need the footballing gods looking down on us and granting us bucket loads of luck for sure.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 am

A point at Utd would be just huge ( Forest have Citeh ) . Though they’re a disjointed mess they could easily slice us to pieces with their players vs our enthusiastic but lightweight XI. I just can’t see us holding a team like Utd in any backs to the wall effort . Though hope springs eternal ..

getbennyon
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by getbennyon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 am

4 points from the next 3 games and then beat Forest will be enough.

the Muric mistake against Brighton was a killer but we wouldn't be in this mess had the manager stuck with Trafford for as long as he did.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 am

Anything but a win for Sheff Utd at Newcastle and they are down. Could be down anyway if Forest get something.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:55 am

getbennyon wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 am
4 points from the next 3 games and then beat Forest will be enough.

the Muric mistake against Brighton was a killer but we wouldn't be in this mess had the manager stuck with Trafford for as long as he did.
Not if Forest beat Sheffield United and get something at home to Chelsea, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility at all. They got a point off Man City at home last season too, though I doubt they'll repeat that.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4077 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:05 pm

If we're in the position whereby a win over Forest was the only thing that would keep us up when we come to play that game, (a draw not being enough) I'll settle for that.
This user liked this post: bfc8

getbennyon

Post by getbennyon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:55 am
Not if Forest beat Sheffield United and get something at home to Chelsea, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility at all. They got a point off Man City at home last season too, though I doubt they'll repeat that.
Teams at the bottom struggle to pick up points, at most they pick up 3 against Sheff United. Of course if they pickup more points against better teams then we are done for.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

getbennyon wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm
Teams at the bottom struggle to pick up points, at most they pick up 3 against Sheff United. Of course if they pickup more points against better teams then we are done for.
By that logic we won't get any from the next 3! I'd rather be playing Chelsea at home than any of our next three opponents.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:33 am
If Forest had their appeal yesterday regarding the points deduction when is the outcome likely to be announced?

As it stands we have to get one point more from Man U., Newcastle & Spurs going into the last game, compared to their fixtures - Man City, Sheff U. & Chelsea
This is how I see it. We have to do better than Forest in these three games then beat them. A Tall order but not impossible.

I watched Man U last night and concluded we can definitely get something from them.

One of our best performances of the season was against Spurs in the cup.

Newcastle blow hot and cold, I think they present the biggest threat from the three.

We could obviously do with Sheffield U doing us a big favour. :geek:

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm
I agree that what Forest did was wrong, but how any Burnley fan can want Luton to survive over Forest is beyond me, I have to say Crosspool.

If Luton go down they’ll lose Barkley (will probably lose him anyway) and a few other of their good performers, maybe even Edwards. They’ll be competitive next year but per their last season, more likely play-off contenders I’d say.

Forest have a rich owner and whilst they’ll also lose players who won’t play in the championship, they’ll keep a much stronger squad together and also benefit from the second and third year of parachute payments that we won’t.

If we’re getting relegated we absolutely need to go down with the weakest possible set of teams.
Look, some things are more important. That club’s owner cheated us out of Europe by intimidating the referee at half time, so we are led to believe, and now they have cheated by overspending last season which also helps them this season, recruited an ex top ref to intimidate PGMOL, their players dive around more than other clubs at the bottom. They really are a horrible bunch.

So I really don’t see how anyone can in good conscience want Forest to survive over Luton, and the dreadfully unfortunate Tom Lockyer.

Also, short term thinking has a habit of backfiring. Look at how we sacked off a decent lineup in Athens because we thought Fulham away the next Saturday would be won if we didn’t - yet we got stuffed in both, something I never forgave Dyche for. Luton may yet be far better next year than you think.

(the reason I express this preference is because I think there is a chance, if down, that we sack off the Forest game to help them survive, which I think would be a big mistake)

getbennyon

Post by getbennyon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm
By that logic we won't get any from the next 3! I'd rather be playing Chelsea at home than any of our next three opponents.
With Trafford in goal i'd agree but we are a different team with Muric, the results clearly show this.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1163 times
Has Liked: 1083 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 am

I can see us finishing on 29 points along with Forest and we get relegated by goal difference

ecc
Been Liked: 1445 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am

If we were to stay up, this board would go into instant meltdown.

If Muric were to score the decisive goal with a last-second header the Internet would be a thing of the past.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 am

There was stage during this season when I thought we were certainties to go down.
How perverse is football that we can actually be talking about survival.
It will be the almighty above us that will ensure our Premiership status.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2945 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 am

I've got a feeling that Newcastle will relegate us again next Saturday, lose to Man U, then we fail to win whist Forest beat Sheff U.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:21 am

Depressingly, given it wouldn’t be the case but for the 4 points stolen off us when we played Forest and Luton (and without which, we would have beaten all the bottom four home and away), if we win our next 3 games in an astonishing blaze of glory, we would still go down if we then lost to Forest if they have won in Sheffield.

It is that kind of thing that makes me feel pessimistic, but proud the team have belatedly got us this close.

Who knows though? We start with Man Utd who could be top level or could be Sunday League, or both within one game. Imagining a miraculously fit Koleosho running at Maguire and Casemiro, with Odobert and Foster supporting in the middle, Vitinho and Assignon wide right, I can imagine us ripping them apart.

That’s the trouble with imagination :D

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1042 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am

To be still in with a chance of staying up at this stage of the season given all the shenanigans this season is absolutely mental imo. I actually don't think we've played too badly the last 8 or so games to be fair it's just a shame the reintroduction of a couple of players came way way way too late! However I can still see us winning 2 of the next 3 and giving us a chance of staying up on the final day

A cr@p VAR decision against Forest will send them down and we'll stay up ;) :D

Goody1975
Been Liked: 1003 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:33 pm

Updated after the Forest vs City game.

Relegation Fixtures inc Positions 28th Apr 2024.png
Relegation Fixtures inc Positions 28th Apr 2024.png (15.81 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Next weekend is pivotal.

Luton will see their game as a massive opportunity, Forest will see theirs as a must win and we will hope to at least keep the status quo.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Just to add, next weekend is:-

Luton Town vs Everton on Friday at 8pm
Burnley vs Newcastle United on Saturday at 3pm
Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest on Saturday at 3pm

Luton have the opportunity to put the other two under real pressure if they win.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 1333 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm
Just to add, next weekend is:-

Luton Town vs Everton on Friday at 8pm
Burnley vs Newcastle United on Saturday at 3pm
Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest on Saturday at 3pm

Luton have the opportunity to put the other two under real pressure if they win.
They have but they'll struggle to score against Everton, where Tarky is absolutely brilliant.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6397 times
Has Liked: 8760 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:50 pm

Tarky and Dwight will keep us up!

Potentially in our hands now. A big ask but possible.

Good luck to all the Clarets. May they perform the miracle.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm
They have but they'll struggle to score against Everton, where Tarky is absolutely brilliant.
As long as that is the Everton who played against Liverpool and not the one that showed up away at Chelsea. They only have pride to play for now, Luton have their Premier League survival at stake. This is also the case on the final day when Fulham are the visitors.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 pm

If Forest just get a point out of the Sheff Utd game we have to get points against either Spurs or Newcastle
If they get a win, we have to do the same

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm
As long as that is the Everton who played against Liverpool and not the one that showed up away at Chelsea. They only have pride to play for now, Luton have their Premier League survival at stake. This is also the case on the final day when Fulham are the visitors.
Last few seasons with us Dyche seemed to get the deckchairs out once we were safe.

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 381 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm

We need 6 points :.

Kgun5
Been Liked: 183 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by Kgun5 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm
We need 6 points :.
I think this. Five might do it.

Goody1975

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 pm

A lot depends on next weekend, if Forest win at Bramall Lane then a point at home to Chelsea may put them out of our reach.

We can only concentrate on beating Newcastle but their forward line is as strong as anything we've faced in recent weeks, one thing is for sure, mistakes will get punished next Saturday.