The lack of minutes on the pitch for Benson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

The lack of minutes on the pitch for Benson

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:08 pm

He 100 percent needs longer to influence games. He is by far our most creative attacker and even tonight he came on and cut in once and we nearly scored ( we have nothing to lose at this point) . Just like VK’s persistence to play Trafford over Muric I sometimes have no idea what he’s thinking at times.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Re: The lack of minutes on the pitch for Benson

Post by what_no_pies » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:16 pm

Stubbornness. He needs to swallow his pride. Vitinho would have been on the right if Assignon was available and therefore more than likely we wouldn't have even seen 8 minutes of Benson.
These 2 users liked this post: blatherwickstattoos getbennyon

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 900 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:17 pm

He should’ve been on earlier - replacing Fofana, not Foster, and pushing Foster into the middle with Rodriguez.
These 10 users liked this post: blatherwickstattoos Goliath Stayingup the_magic_rat Silkyskills1 JohnMac expoultryboy k90bfc xxmunkyennuixx Im_not_Robbie_Blake

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:20 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:17 pm
He should’ve been on earlier - replacing Fofana, not Foster, and pushing Foster into the middle with Rodriguez.
Totally agree with that. Fofana should have been hauled off, pushing Foster into the centre and Benson on the wing. Fofana was dire tonight.

Mark the Claret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Mark the Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:23 pm

Apart from his wonder goal, I haven't been impressed by him at all, don't know how he got a move to Chelsea in the first place.

blatherwickstattoos

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:26 pm

Fofana played like he’d been on the **** last night
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3778 times
Has Liked: 7578 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:29 pm

Would have liked to have seen him get at least 20 mins.
But I'm used to it now.
This is without doubt over the best part of a season, the most odd set of team sheets I've ever seen.
These 2 users liked this post: blatherwickstattoos k90bfc

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:29 pm

A: considering Wolves won every single header at every set piece (at least it felt like it) I can understand why he wanted to keep foster on
B: considering we needed to win it's annoying, not Fosters fault as he isn't a winger but it was like playing with 10 men
This user liked this post: blatherwickstattoos

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 pm

Sacrifice quality for people who can run around like headless chickens fast seems to have been the plan this season. Hence the only decent crosser of a football Johan and the most creative From last season (Benson) don’t get a look in
This user liked this post: blatherwickstattoos

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 pm

blatherwickstattoos wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:26 pm
Fofana played like he’d been on the **** last night
He was well off it tonight. Amazed he stayed on

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 pm

Another strange decision of VKs. Instead opting for Ramsey, Amdouni and even Trésor who have all been quite frankly, shite.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:50 pm

It can't be justified really. If we are behind in a game Benson should be on the pitch. He's a wonderfully talented player and opens up space for other attacking players as teams end up doubling up on him

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:55 pm

Benson did well to get the shot in that he had. A foot higher and it would have been in. Hard to understand why he wasn't brought in earlier and Fofana taken off.

blatherwickstattoos

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:00 pm

At least I know it’s just not me seeing the glaringly obvious. Exactly the same with muric not starting. I’m not saying we’d have stayed up with them included but bloody hell we would have gave it a better go.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:50 pm

Should have been on for at the very least 30 mins. Foster out wide was a mistake. He has no qualities expected of a winger. Benson has. Opposition players are aware of his reputation and he's a threat. We had to take the game to them, we had to take chances. Yes, it was a heartening display but lacking someone with guile around their penalty box.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:56 pm

Were this deep into the season and VK is still making bizarre changes to the side, needs to stop putting square pegs in round holes. Foster at right wing and Berge at centre back the latest ones.

Jay Rod is finished at this level also, weve no decent subs up front. If Fofana is misfiring put another midfielder on would have been better.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:16 pm

Funny how we have hit our best run of form when VK starts with a sensible 11 that includes Muric and Cullen. No one will convince me he does not have his favorites and Benson is clearly not one of them , just like Muric isn't.Lost count of the times recently Benson has come on with less than 6 minutes when we were desperate for a goal, and as posters have said he is a game changer-our only one from the bench. Regular game time has seen improvements in players like O Shea, Larsen and Odobert. I cant see Benson wanting to stay after VK had talked him into staying in January presumably with the carrot of playing more often.Would love to be a fly on the wall of the changing room

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:14 pm

Before Benson came on ,

RHS Foster
Middle Jay
LHS Fofana

Even SD would not have come up with that crazy formation

Fofana had a mare of a game all night and still stayed on the pitch

Just can't fathom the logic of VK this season
These 2 users liked this post: expoultryboy k90bfc

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 pm

Ignoring everything else.
Just taking his use (or lack of) of Muric and Benson, the manager should be sacked immediately.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 pm

Forgot about this, the far too late substitution was expected but Fofana staying on was baffling. He was treading water for the last 30 minutes, and wasn't great before that. When we should be pushing for a winner towards the end, we were basically playing with 10 men again.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:18 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 pm
Forgot about this, the far too late substitution was expected but Fofana staying on was baffling. He was treading water for the last 30 minutes, and wasn't great before that. When we should be pushing for a winner towards the end, we were basically playing with 10 men again.
There were a few struggling by the end. It didn't say a lot for the fitness of the squad last night tbh. 2 games in a week shouldn't be that difficult. They need to get used to it if we are going to do anything next season.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:26 pm

Bit harsh considering a lot of that team had to play against a Chelsea side who dominate the ball, with an extra man, for best part of an hour three days ago. Fofana didn’t play on Sat, and he was poor last night, but he did get through a lot of running.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:36 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 pm
Notts-what baffles me is there are two coaches supporting VK, and the biggest back room team I have seen in the dug-out. Is not anyone else seeing what we are seeing, or are they scared of suggesting to VK what he might do.Having watched Bellamy handle the interview on MOTD on Saturday he looked absolutely paranoid about saying anything. Has VK surrounded himself with yes men. At least SD would call Woan and Stone out of the dug-out when planning a sub, to presumably seek their views on what could be changed in terms of players.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:36 pm

In his very short time on the field last night he did his trademark trickery which tested their goalkeeper, yet he's been absent for most of the time he's been fit this season It's really been difficult to accept as can be witnessed by the many comments throughout the season.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:36 pm
Notts-what baffles me is there are two coaches supporting VK, and the biggest back room team I have seen in the dug-out. Is not anyone else seeing what we are seeing, or are they scared of suggesting to VK what he might do.Having watched Bellamy handle the interview on MOTD on Saturday he looked absolutely paranoid about saying anything. Has VK surrounded himself with yes men. At least SD would call Woan and Stone out of the dug-out when planning a sub, to presumably seek their views on what could be changed in terms of players.
Funnily enough I thought today that perhaps VK requires a stronger number 2. Someone that’s not afraid to tell him when they think he’s got it wrong and suggest how to change the system. Many years ago I recall senior Management of a corporate company were appraised as a one off by their juniors, in a constructive way, the idea being that sometimes those senior Manager's need to view things from a different perspective. It certainly improved a healthy working relationship.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm

As Vegas said, the reason he doesn’t play more in tight games is because we need the height defending set pieces, which was probably why Jay came on when he did, and he’s not that strong defensively - tracking back, etc

Why he doesn’t come on when we’re losing I don’t know because I think we look far more threatening with him in the team.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:56 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:18 pm
Funnily enough I thought today that perhaps VK requires a stronger number 2. Someone that’s not afraid to tell him when they think he’s got it wrong and suggest how to change the system. Many years ago I recall senior Management of a corporate company were appraised as a one off by their juniors, in a constructive way, the idea being that sometimes those senior Manager's need to view things from a different perspective. It certainly improved a healthy working relationship.
Of course - absolutely no one is infallible.

Some of the comments on here earlier in the season kept repeating the classic argument to authority classic "well it's VK and he knows more about footy than everyone on here put together" when it was perfectly clear that he was making some pretty clear mistakes.

Ego is one hell of a drug but I like to think he and the team/board have learnt a lot from this season...

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:18 pm
Initially when Bellamy was appointed, I was influenced by his "on the edge " playing style, and assumed he would let VK know his views. Nothing to suggest Bellamy is like this, and comes over now as shy and quiet. Sadly Mike Jackson appears the same. Maybe thats how VK likes it

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:13 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 pm
Initially when Bellamy was appointed, I was influenced by his "on the edge " playing style, and assumed he would let VK know his views. Nothing to suggest Bellamy is like this, and comes over now as shy and quiet. Sadly Mike Jackson appears the same. Maybe thats how VK likes it
You’ve got absolutely nothing to back that up with.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:37 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:26 pm
Bit harsh considering a lot of that team had to play against a Chelsea side who dominate the ball, with an extra man, for best part of an hour three days ago. Fofana didn’t play on Sat, and he was poor last night, but he did get through a lot of running.
Fofana got through a lot of running? We didn't watch the same game then. I though he was a disgrace for the last 20 minutes walking around. How is a young footballer that unfit?

Foster was also knackered but he'd worked his nads off and was coming off the back of an injury. Fofana had no such excuse and put in a performance we had all feared when he signed. Let's hope it was a one off

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:51 am

Goliath wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:37 am
Fofana got through a lot of running? We didn't watch the same game then. I though he was a disgrace for the last 20 minutes walking around. How is a young footballer that unfit?

Foster was also knackered but he'd worked his nads off and was coming off the back of an injury. Fofana had no such excuse and put in a performance we had all feared when he signed. Let's hope it was a one off
I think you’re being dramatic. Fofana was poor last night but did a lot of harrying and chasing. Dreadful when he actually had the ball, like. Foster was beyond knackered and a few of the other lads were clearly feeling it but this is expected after having to see out nearly an hour against Chelsea with 10 men, which was the original point.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:17 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:51 am
I think you’re being dramatic. Fofana was poor last night but did a lot of harrying and chasing. Dreadful when he actually had the ball, like. Foster was beyond knackered and a few of the other lads were clearly feeling it but this is expected after having to see out nearly an hour against Chelsea with 10 men, which was the original point.
Fofana didn't play against Chelsea and Foster hardly broke into a run against Chelsea and then got subbed. I just don't think they are fit enough, one for obvious reasons the other less so.
I'm not keen on the way VK has brought Foster.straight back into the team a few times this season without building up his minutes when he's clearly nowhere near up to fitness.

It seems like the opposite of the Dyche way of making sure they were fit to play 90 minutes before they got a sniff of the first team.
I've no idea but the experts usually suggest it risks injury if you don't build up the load gradually, I hope that's being done.e
I did wonder about whether it was something that led to Fosters injury soon after his return from the mental health issues.