Corners- what is going on

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thelifeofbrian
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Corners- what is going on

Post by thelifeofbrian » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 am

i was at Chelsea on Saturday and Cullen was taking great corners where the ball cleared the 1st man and dropped in the 6 yard box where we could attack the ball, we scored one and hit the post so a good return.

Last night V Wolves, OMG- JBL was on corner duty and it looked like they had a pre- planned routine they had to stick to which included JBL crossing to the the far post /edge of penalty area for somebody to knock it back into the penalty box, i lost count the number of times this lead to a counter attack to Wolves or ended up with Muric- ruddy frustrating

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2759 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Re: Corners- what is going on

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:52 am

Our ' Set piece Coach ' strikes again
These 2 users liked this post: strayclaret MT03ALG

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am

Not earning their money at the moment. Shocking from throw in's as well. We look clueless.

thelifeofbrian
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by thelifeofbrian » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 am

ArmchairDetective wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 am
Not earning their money at the moment. Shocking from throw in's as well. We look clueless.
thats a vlaid point- nobody shows for the throws- we have no options at all

Transpennine
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:21 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:52 am
Our ' Set piece Coach ' strikes again
We have a set piece coach; seriously?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:25 am

That bloke that comes out of the dugout whenever we have a set piece must have the best job going. I believe his title is “set piece coach”.

At one point in the first half, Wolves got a corner so out he came on to the touch line. Wolves then won two free headers in our box and should really have scored, and this bloke then walks back to his seat clapping. Several minutes later and another free header in our box results in their equaliser.

As for our attacking set pieces. Shocking all night.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:39 am

I struggle to think of a bigger waste of space at the club than this guy. We’re awful when we have a set piece and dreadful when defending one. I’m assuming he’s a mate or relative of VK because I’ve no idea why he’s still in post.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:06 pm

It was indeed frustrating. I can only think we didn't believe we'd get much joy from Wolves back line so tried to go deep and capitalise on the knock down, but it made no sense after Cullen's great deliveries at the weekend. As has been the case for a lot of season, it looks like we're over-thinking things too much.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:12 pm

9 times out of 10 balls into the box are won by the player attacking the ball. We are OK for our corners, just the delivery is so poor it takes the advantage away. It's difficult to attack the ball when the ball isn't where it's supposed to be.

The bigger problem is defending corners and free kicks, whether it's due to zonal marking, which I hate simply because it leaves the defence flat footed, but nobody attacks the ball. The lack of movement hands all the initiative to the opposition, and doesn't everybody know it.
Apart from our set piece coach of course.
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm

We should offer Ben Mee the role binning off the current incumbent

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:31 pm

He should stop in his hutch really annoyed me last night kept coming out and didn’t do anything

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6915 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:44 pm

The opposition fans get excited when we get a corner.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:18 pm

I am not familiar at all with the ins and outs of how a coaching team works, but I don't see why we need a set piece coach when we have one of the Premier League's best ever centre backs as our manager. I don't know who they are but I can't see how their knowledge/skill could be better than VK's.
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:21 pm

ArmchairDetective wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:18 pm
I am not familiar at all with the ins and outs of how a coaching team works, but I don't see why we need a set piece coach when we have one of the Premier League's best ever centre backs as our manager. I don't know who they are but I can't see how their knowledge/skill could be better than VK's.
I presume VK doesn't have the time to spend going through hours of clips each week of defensive and attacking set pieces or looking through loads of stats and then coming up with creative solutions. Having a person dedicated to that makes sense, it's statistically a vital part of the game and should be treated as such. We may just have someone who's a bit crap at it

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:25 pm

Goliath wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:21 pm
I presume VK doesn't have the time to spend going through hours of clips each week of defensive and attacking set pieces or looking through loads of stats and then coming up with creative solutions. Having a person dedicated to that makes sense, it's statistically a vital part of the game and should be treated as such. We may just have someone who's a bit crap at it
Or players who aren't very good at executing it... quite a salient point that seems to be ignored by the bloodthirsty people on here who seem desperate for somebody to lose their job based on their supposition.
These 2 users liked this post: Goliath Foshiznik

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:25 pm
Or players who aren't very good at executing it... quite a salient point that seems to be ignored by the bloodthirsty people on here who seem desperate for somebody to lose their job based on their supposition.
True. Although I haven't seen anything particularly creative that they've tried. Eddie Howe was an absolute master of it, which kind of contradicts my previous point. I still miss that corner routine he had us doing where one player stepped over it. Think Newcastle do it every now and again now.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:16 pm

We definitely tried at least one pre rehearsed corner routine last night and as has been mentioned, I think we actually tried to execute others, but they all failed miserably and occasionally embarrassingly. I have started to seriously wonder if when we practice them and work them out at Gawthorpe we actually use lads from the under 21s as guinea pigs, because when we try this stuff against Premier League first team players we look incredibly naive and they snuff us out really easily.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 pm

thelifeofbrian wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 am
i was at Chelsea on Saturday and Cullen was taking great corners where the ball cleared the 1st man and dropped in the 6 yard box where we could attack the ball, we scored one and hit the post so a good return.

Last night V Wolves, OMG- JBL was on corner duty and it looked like they had a pre- planned routine they had to stick to which included JBL crossing to the the far post /edge of penalty area for somebody to knock it back into the penalty box, i lost count the number of times this lead to a counter attack to Wolves or ended up with Muric- ruddy frustrating
I have a vewy gweat fwiend called Biggus D*ckus who states our corner woutines are wery poor.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:29 pm

He was annoying me last night.
Popped up every time we had a corner or free kick to take or defend.
Shouted at the nearest player who clearly couldn’t hear him.
We then wasted every kick and failed to defend the ones against us.
No idea what he is paid (or the 20 other “technical staff” hanging around).
No wonder the cost of my ticket has jumped so much.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 pm

I was actually shocked how poor defensively we were last night from set pieces, Wolves won so may headers and had so many free men. Honestly, the set piece lad genuinely needs replacing

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2475 times
Has Liked: 2013 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:53 pm

thelifeofbrian wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 am
thats a vlaid point- nobody shows for the throws- we have no options at all
The problem I see at throw-ins is we get 4 or 5 guys all too close to the thrower leaving us no space for movement. The better sides start further away and then have 2 or 3 moving. Even if they are dummy runs they open up the gap for the receiver.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:19 am

He's pretty well known. A performance analyst who seems interested in set piece routines. For us he's a performance analyst and set piece coach.
https://thepfsa.co.uk/richard-bredice-best-and-worst/

You can see what he was trying to do. The players just failed to execute them well. If one came off we'd be hailing him as a genius.

Bruun-Larsen is usually great with his delivery as is Gudmundsson. I think the main issue we have is not having the same taker each time. JBL and JBG can't last all game.

Bredice was first team opposition analyst at Manchester City so should definitely be responsible for our terrible defending of set pieces this year.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:31 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:19 am
He's pretty well known. A performance analyst who seems interested in set piece routines. For us he's a performance analyst and set piece coach.
https://thepfsa.co.uk/richard-bredice-best-and-worst/

You can see what he was trying to do. The players just failed to execute them well. If one came off we'd be hailing him as a genius.

Bruun-Larsen is usually great with his delivery as is Gudmundsson. I think the main issue we have is not having the same taker each time. JBL and JBG can't last all game.

Bredice was first team opposition analyst at Manchester City so should definitely be responsible for our terrible defending of set pieces this year.
I think people are referring to Eliot Tybebo, who is the coach that appears from the dugout when we are attacking or defending a set piece. Of course, we don't know what their exact roles and responsibilities are so it's completely unfounded to suggest that these people aren't doing their jobs to the required standard.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:31 am
I think people are referring to Eliot Tybebo, who is the coach that appears from the dugout when we are attacking or defending a set piece. Of course, we don't know what their exact roles and responsibilities are so it's completely unfounded to suggest that these people aren't doing their jobs to the required standard.
Didn't even know we had another one. Thanks for letting me know.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:40 am

It's a strange one because I do believe we are looking more threatening at attacking set pieces but for defending them? We are terrible.

Alan Young
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Alan Young » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:27 am

We just don’t have the size and/or aerial ability to match most opposing teams man for man and it’s where so many games are won and lost.

Tarky and Mee were animals in both boxes for us. Throw into that the likes of Wood, Vokes, Barnes and it’s no wonder we were so effective from set pieces for so long.

Everton are now one of the best from set pieces but hopefully we’ll have a better plan this time than Cullen marking Tarky

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:38 pm

I've no doubt SD will have a plan for Muric - one to watch out for at their corners.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:35 pm

It's the tactics that are wrong.
Take another look at Wolves equaliser, not a single Burnley players feet left the floor. It doesn't matter how tall you are if you don't jump.
We mark space, we block runs, but nobody attacks the ball. Tarks and Mee made sure one or the other got on the end of anything thrown into the box.
It's naive the way we defend, and the players aren't the problem.

It's taken time for VK to change the formation, time to change the keeper, maybe in time he'll realise what everyone else has been saying about our defending of set pieces and change it.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:35 pm
It's the tactics that are wrong.
Take another look at Wolves equaliser, not a single Burnley players feet left the floor. It doesn't matter how tall you are if you don't jump.
We mark space, we block runs, but nobody attacks the ball. Tarks and Mee made sure one or the other got on the end of anything thrown into the box.
It's naive the way we defend, and the players aren't the problem.

It's taken time for VK to change the formation, time to change the keeper, maybe in time he'll realise what everyone else has been saying about our defending of set pieces and change it.
I think that's more to do with individuals than tactics. Some players just want to head it and tend to be like a magnet for it. Think how Van Dijk transformed Liverpool. We don't have a player like that at present

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 pm

Goliath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm
I think that's more to do with individuals than tactics. Some players just want to head it and tend to be like a magnet for it. Think how Van Dijk transformed Liverpool. We don't have a player like that at present
VVD attacks the ball, and is playing for a team that can drop the ball on a sixpence. It helps. As for being a magnet, it would break the laws of quantum physics for a ball to deviate towards a particular player. It's always the player moving towards the ball.

The only person attacking that ball on Tuesday was Al-Nouri.

It's also why O'Shea scored at Chelsea, because HE attacked the ball. Chelsea defend set pieces in exactly the same way we do. Ask any Chelsea fan and they will tell you they are ****. They have the same gripes that we do. With a squad that cost squillions. It doesn't matter the quality of your players, if the tactics are wrong, you stink.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:23 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 pm
VVD attacks the ball, and is playing for a team that can drop the ball on a sixpence. It helps. As for being a magnet, it would break the laws of quantum physics for a ball to deviate towards a particular player. It's always the player moving towards the ball.

The only person attacking that ball on Tuesday was Al-Nouri.

It's also why O'Shea scored at Chelsea, because HE attacked the ball. Chelsea defend set pieces in exactly the same way we do. Ask any Chelsea fan and they will tell you they are ****. They have the same gripes that we do. With a squad that cost squillions. It doesn't matter the quality of your players, if the tactics are wrong, you stink.
It's a figure of speech. I didn't mean some players defy the laws of physics.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm

Goliath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:23 pm
It's a figure of speech. I didn't mean some players defy the laws of physics.
We can agree that VVD is a winner, and winners don't let anything stand in their way.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:41 pm

Dyche always used to talk about percentages.

Our approach to defending corners / set pieces, our readiness to give away possession from our own throw-ins, the lack of quality deliveries into the box (from a dead ball or in play) and I do wonder what the coaches are watching - we certainly don’t appear to be playing percentages.