The cost of playing out badly

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Corway
Been Liked: 4 times

The cost of playing out badly

Post by Corway » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:28 am

Anyone know how many points we have given away by playing out at all costs. It feels like 20!
I don’t remember us getting many goals to win points from doing it either.
It feels we have become an embarrassment for being so inept at it.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7206 times

Re: The cost of playing out badly

Post by Quicknick » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:04 am

We are inept at it. I hope it's a passing pad. They even try to do it in the Northern Premier League.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:16 am

It's more doing it every single time like forcing the team to play a certain way - I think a little bit more should freedom should be given to the players in terms of choosing when to play out and when not to... VK seems rigid in his approach to it.

We have absolutely benefitted from playing out several times this season and at times it's less apparent, but when blunders are made it's really easy to hone in on it because they are just so bad to witness.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:06 am

We don't have the technical ability to play out of the back as much as we do. It's led to far too many mistakes. Yesterday’s being the worst of the lot.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:50 am

In the last few games Muric has demonstrated pretty well how effective it can be. But decision making and clarity have to be ever present. Is this pass on? Have we been pressed to the point I need to clear this long?
It looks as though they are coached to do it no matter what, rather than it being a case of "we do it till it's obvious we can't".

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 am

Playing out is fine as long as the players have the skill to do it

We’re not quite there yet

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am

We saw the same last season, and from Muric. Cockups like yesterday happen, you just pray they aren't critical, and in a must win game.
He'll probably do it again at some point, but I'd still prefer Muric in goal. He offers far more positives than negatives.
These 3 users liked this post: Woonderbah jjclaret Taffy on the wing

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 am

What I have noticed is that Muric makes it look relatively easy even though we don't have the players who can play this system, plus he adds tempo to restarting an attack. Trafford just makes me very nervous and absolutely slows it right down. The amount of times Trafford has started a prompt attack all season can be counted on one hand.

Just as worrying for me though is our disciplinary record-by my estimation we have played 22% of our PL games with 10 men

Just two factors that makes me think our team management and coaching is just not up to par

Bobzuruncle
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Bobzuruncle » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:53 am

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:44 am

Just as worrying for me though is our disciplinary record-by my estimation we have played 22% of our PL games with 10 men
If that’s accurate it’s one hell of a stat !

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:59 am

Corway wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:28 am
Anyone know how many points we have given away by playing out at all costs. It feels like 20!
I don’t remember us getting many goals to win points from doing it either.
It feels we have become an embarrassment for being so inept at it.
We have conceded 42 from open play, City have 23. So if the figure was indeed 20 we would be better than City other than this at defending, so it obviously isn’t.

I suspect the figure is more like 6-7. And I bet other teams are similar. It isn’t our issue, attack is.

But the “overplaying” has been an issue. Muric has improved that, he rapidly gets us through the lines. Quite what he was doing yesterday I cannot fathom. He has brain fades I guess.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:59 am
We have conceded 42 from open play, City have 23. So if the figure was indeed 20 we would be better than City other than this at defending, so it obviously isn’t.

I suspect the figure is more like 6-7. And I bet other teams are similar. It isn’t our issue, attack is.

But the “overplaying” has been an issue. Muric has improved that, he rapidly gets us through the lines. Quite what he was doing yesterday I cannot fathom. He has brain fades I guess.
Only someone who hasn’t seen us play and has just looked up the stats after each game could come to the conclusion that our defending isn’t an issue.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:06 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:42 am
We saw the same last season, and from Muric. Cockups like yesterday happen, you just pray they aren't critical, and in a must win game.
He'll probably do it again at some point, but I'd still prefer Muric in goal. He offers far more positives than negatives.
Agree on all your points.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am

You could see exactly what Muric wad trying to do from the angle behind the goal. He waited for the incisive pass to come available, which it did as odobert moved off his man and opened things up. Unnecessary at that time in the game, should have just launched it down the pitch. I'd have more sympathy if he hadn't had a warning and already got way with the same thing earlier in the half.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:16 am

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:04 am
Playing out is fine as long as the players have the skill to do it

We’re not quite there yet
I think this is about the most sensible and reasonable post on this thread.

I can’t remember any other mistakes like yesterday. The only passing it out error that immediately springs to mind is the Trafford one to Brownhill, but I’m sure there’s others my coping mechanisms have put in to the deepest territories.

Here’s the thing though: ALL teams that play out from the back make errors. I remember Wood nabbing a goal against Arsenal for a poor Xhaka pass.

It happens and unless you want to see us hoofing it every time and losing possession, it’s something we have to do and get better at.

I actually think our playing it out from the back has been much better this year. There’s been a few games where I’ve thought it was sensational. Just a handful but much better than last year.

Our problems do not lie in playing it out from the back, it’s been what we do (or don’t do) in the final third.
These 2 users liked this post: CrosspoolClarets Darnhill Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am
You could see exactly what Muric wad trying to do from the angle behind the goal. He waited for the incisive pass to come available, which it did as odobert moved off his man and opened things up. Unnecessary at that time in the game, should have just launched it down the pitch. I'd have more sympathy if he hadn't had a warning and already got way with the same thing earlier in the half.
Correct and I think that element of our game management (it’s nearly HT, crucial part in the game, play it safe!) has really been lacking this year.

I can handle these mistakes much better if I feel we’re learning from them and I’m not sure we are.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:20 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:16 am

I can’t remember any other mistakes like yesterday. The only passing it out error that immediately springs to mind is the Trafford one to Brownhill, but I’m sure there’s others my coping mechanisms have put in to the deepest territories.

Here’s the thing though: ALL teams that play out from the back make errors. I remember Wood nabbing a goal against Arsenal for a poor Xhaka pass.

It happens and unless you want to see us hoofing it every time and losing possession, it’s something we have to do and get better at.

I actually think our playing it out from the back has been much better this year. There’s been a few games where I’ve thought it was sensational. Just a handful but much better than last year.

Our problems do not lie in playing it out from the back, it’s been what we do (or don’t do) in the final third.
It's not overplaying it out from the back OR hoofing it every time. There's a middle ground.

I've no idea how you can't see our defensive frailties. No way is it just down to the final third.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:30 am

NewClaret wrote:

There has been a few in all honesty.

Traff had a pass similar against Luton but it deflected wide... Traff to O'Shea to Berge against Wolves.

Then there's the first few games of the season in which I tried to wipe out of my memory - Spurs at home, weak meandering passes out to Al-Dakhil to immediately be dispossessed and concede.

Probably a ton more.

It's high risk, high reward - the argument from me always was if we are going to play this style then Muric is the man for it.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 am

I wonder how many goals we gave conceded in the first 5 minutes before and after half time and in the last 5 minutes of playing time/extra time

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:10 am

To come away from Goodison Park with any points it was imperative that we scored. Everton have gone 22 home games without winning when the opposition has scored. 63% possession and just a single shot on target shows where we failed miserably.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:14 am

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am
I suspect this is correct, and is exactly what Trafford has also been attempting when he's been slowing the game down.

But it is bonkers and its a failure of sense both from Kompany, setting the principles and Muric in dealing with the situation. It takes, far far far too long for the movement to come for a start, and at all points completely ignores the presence of DCL. So Muric has to write it off, use the fact he's got a big strong centre forward on the right wing with a height advantage and go longer and play from there. Then the pass he actually attempts is to feed it into Odobert and there are two other Everton players who are in with a significant chance of intercepting the pass he has tried to play. Its not a killer pass into Odobert, it just gets us to around half way with a player on the half turn with 6 Everton players goalside.

The pass to Assignon in the second half is a similar failure of thinking. There are two players around him and he's never favourite to link with a teammate.

In short the team isn't measuring risk and reward appropriately and it is unimpressive that 3/4 of the way through the season that penny hasn't dropped. To be taking such a risk in such a huge game makes even less sense. It isn't good enough. I'm all for playing out and that does involve some risk at times. But that is ridiculous.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:20 am
It's not overplaying it out from the back OR hoofing it every time. There's a middle ground.

I've no idea how you can't see our defensive frailties. No way is it just down to the final third.
I didn’t say I can’t see our defensive frailties, although I don’t think they’re necessarily something that didn’t exist last season, just they didn’t get exploited in the same way because the opposition was lower quality. Everything has to be done a lot quicker now and therefore our quality

But this thread is about playing it out from the back.

There are basically two ways you can get the ball out of defence: go long, which invariably leads to losing possession initially but relieves immediate pressure and if you get good at winning the second balls can mean you recover higher up the pitch, or play it out and try to build through midfield, which if you do it right can put you on the attack quickly.

I agree there are times to do both and tbh I thought Trafford was getting the balance too far in favour of long and our performances were suffering as a result. Muric now probably looks for the pass too often.

But you have to expect to concede in this league. Teams have too much quality. We have to score and too often our final ball (or the pass before it) is just lacking way too often. We build up well then blow it. I cannot get too mad with our defenders too much when the forwards aren’t playing their part at the other end.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:35 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:28 am
I didn’t say I can’t see our defensive frailties, although I don’t think they’re necessarily something that didn’t exist last season, just they didn’t get exploited in the same way because the opposition was lower quality. Everything has to be done a lot quicker now and therefore our quality

But this thread is about playing it out from the back.

There are basically two ways you can get the ball out of defence: go long, which invariably leads to losing possession initially but relieves immediate pressure and if you get good at winning the second balls can mean you recover higher up the pitch, or play it out and try to build through midfield, which if you do it right can put you on the attack quickly.

I agree there are times to do both and tbh I thought Trafford was getting the balance too far in favour of long and our performances were suffering as a result. Muric now probably looks for the pass too often.

But you have to expect to concede in this league. Teams have too much quality. We have to score and too often our final ball (or the pass before it) is just lacking way too often. We build up well then blow it. I cannot get too mad with our defenders too much when the forwards aren’t playing their part at the other end.
You said it was just down to what we don't do in the final third. We have been far too exposed in our defensive third. We've made far too many defensive errors and conceded way too many goals as well.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am
Only someone who hasn’t seen us play and has just looked up the stats after each game could come to the conclusion that our defending isn’t an issue.
Stats can show when someone is right and someone else is wrong.

Like with you in this case.

We have conceded 42 from non set pieces. Chelsea have conceded 38. Brentford 46. West Ham 40. Yes, we are poor at it, but there are worse sides. It isn’t the reason why we are going down. Attack is. And, I would concede, set piece defending.

But yes, we do lose a few goals due to overplaying or being dozy at the back. We all know that.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

Our powderpuff non tackling midfield with glaring failure to recruit in January has caused 20 + points lost from winning positions

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

We have conceded 42 from non set pieces. Chelsea have conceded 38. Brentford 46. West Ham 40. Yes, we are poor at it, but there are worse sides. It isn’t the reason why we are going down. Attack is. And, I would concede, set piece defending.

But yes, we do lose a few goals due to overplaying or being dozy at the back. We all know that.
Defending set pieces is an important part of defending and will be taken into account by those who believe our defending has been a part of our problems

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:49 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

And you're certainly the poster with the most bizarre use of cherry-picked stats to suit whatever you've got into your head.

We are absolutely shite at defending and that's a huge reason we're going down with a whimper.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Wo Didi

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:57 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:49 am
And you're certainly the poster with the most bizarre use of cherry-picked stats to suit whatever you've got into your head.

We are absolutely shite at defending and that's a huge reason we're going down with a whimper.
Absolutely. Whenever I see this posters name there inevitably follows some really bizarre cherry picked statistics that bear little relevance to what we have seen all season. Omitting goals conceded from set pieces to suggest we aren’t defensively brittle is a new one though.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:19 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Statistically we concede over 2 goals a game.

If that doesn't show we have an issue at the back I don't know what does. You could try removing goals scored with a right foot next time- might make the stats look better eh?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:57 am
Absolutely. Whenever I see this posters name there inevitably follows some really bizarre cherry picked statistics that bear little relevance to what we have seen all season. Omitting goals conceded from set pieces to suggest we aren’t defensively brittle is a new one though.
I’m glad it’s not just me who’s noticed this.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:19 pm
Statistically we concede over 2 goals a game.

If that doesn't show we have an issue at the back I don't know what does. You could try removing goals scored with a right foot next time- might make the stats look better eh?
Statistically we let in 2.21 goals per game with Trafford in the nets after 28 games in the league.

We’re currently at 1.25 goals in per game with Muric after four games, that obviously may change in the coming weeks but it’s a pretty big difference so far.

We’re at least in games now with the big man back in.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:18 pm

NewClaret wrote:

We've conceded 67 goals. We'd have to score 2 a game just to get a point.

In reality, the problems at the back and the tactics cause the problems up-front. VK is the architect of a system that can't work in the PL. I said it last season and it's proven to be true. If you have the best players in the Championship then it can work but in the PL you don't have the best players.

The problem with playing out from the back is that it is too slow. Teams get into shape and that causes problems up front because there is no space. It's not a problem if you have Messi in your side or David Silva because they can break the lines and we can't other than Berg's occasional loping runs.

Everton and Wolves sat in and there is no space. Yes. you can hit some of the big teams on the break but they score 3 or 4. So, it's a system that's ineffective against your peers and pointless (literally) against the big boys.

The mistakes come from ineffective possession. It's not one off individual mistakes, it can't be it happens so often. but the consequence of a lot of possession (yesterday over 60 per cent) with players that aren't good enough to do it. The red cards and the penalties also happen because we spend so long on ineffective possession, which causes mistakes and that then causes poor challenges, lunges and desperate last ditch interactions with players who go down like a sack of spuds.

We played the better football yesterday and looked to have the quicker more athletic players but it's just not effective because the whole system is just too ponderous and made for a team that has the likes of Messi, Iniesta, De Bruyne or David Silva who can take a ball in the last third and go back past players.

It's not absurd to argue that with quicker possession, moving the ball faster and pacey wingers we win both those games against established PL teams.

We have a manager problem. It's an issue for the fanbase because in the end it's admitting that the fantasy is over. But no one can watch those games and not come to that conclusion. The fanbase just starts bitching and moaning about the players but how good was some of the football in the first half? The Everton fans can see it - why can't we?
These 5 users liked this post: NL Claret the_magic_rat CoolClaret Wo Didi BabylonClaret

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:29 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:18 pm
We've conceded 67 goals. We'd have to score 2 a game just to get a point.

In reality, the problems at the back and the tactics cause the problems up-front. VK is the architect of a system that can't work in the PL. I said it last season and it's proven to be true. If you have the best players in the Championship then it can work but in the PL you don't have the best players.

The problem with playing out from the back is that it is too slow. Teams get into shape and that causes problems up front because there is no space. It's not a problem if you have Messi in your side or David Silva because they can break the lines and we can't other than Berg's occasional loping runs.

Everton and Wolves sat in and there is no space. Yes. you can hit some of the big teams on the break but they score 3 or 4. So, it's a system that's ineffective against your peers and pointless (literally) against the big boys.

The mistakes come from ineffective possession. It's not one off individual mistakes, it can't be it happens so often. but the consequence of a lot of possession (yesterday over 60 per cent) with players that aren't good enough to do it. The red cards and the penalties also happen because we spend so long on ineffective possession, which causes mistakes and that then causes poor challenges, lunges and desperate last ditch interactions with players who go down like a sack of spuds.

We played the better football yesterday and looked to have the quicker more athletic players but it's just not effective because the whole system is just too ponderous and made for a team that has the likes of Messi, Iniesta, De Bruyne or David Silva who can take a ball in the last third and go back past players.

It's not absurd to argue that with quicker possession, moving the ball faster and pacey wingers we win both those games against established PL teams.

We have a manager problem. It's an issue for the fanbase because in the end it's admitting that the fantasy is over. But no one can watch those games and not come to that conclusion. The fanbase just starts bitching and moaning about the players but how good was some of the football in the first half? The Everton fans can see it - why can't we?
One of the few well balanced posts on here, what I really like about this post is that it doesn’t mention any GKs, no narrative. Too many posters can’t see the wood from the trees when it comes to the GK position this season. There are bigger problems with this squad of players and management than either GK that has been used.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:23 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 am
Defending set pieces is an important part of defending and will be taken into account by those who believe our defending has been a part of our problems
Indeed. And it is shocking.

The poster who I replied to though was being insulting (due to not having a proper argument) in reply to a stat about open play defending, hence why I demonstrating we are no worse than several other teams in this regard.

I can see why stats are annoying - they can destroy people’s pre-conceived prejudices and dislikes. Such as Trafford and how many goals he has cost us (can’t say what is in ksr’s head, that is a general comment on this forum).

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:27 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:23 pm
Indeed. And it is shocking.

The poster who I replied to though was being insulting (due to not having a proper argument) in reply to a stat about open play defending, hence why I demonstrating we are no worse than several other teams in this regard.

I can see why stats are annoying - they can destroy people’s pre-conceived prejudices and dislikes. Such as Trafford and how many goals he has cost us (can’t say what is in ksr’s head, that is a general comment on this forum).
Nobody has said that stats are annoying. They have their place.

They’ve said they don’t like the way in which they are used inappropriately to support a poor judgement. You are the biggest example of this on the message board .

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:29 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:29 pm
One of the few well balanced posts on here, what I really like about this post is that it doesn’t mention any GKs, no narrative. Too many posters can’t see the wood from the trees when it comes to the GK position this season. There are bigger problems with this squad of players and management than either GK that has been used.
Apart from the narrative against the manager. One who probably disagrees given his style won the league last year and he is convinced it can be done with lesser players - strangling a game, getting the opponent disheartened, and then scoring.

I think he is right, and I think he didn’t get quite the calibre of player he wanted. Like Assignon and O Shea not controlling those two simple balls yesterday, costing us a red and nearly a goal.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:31 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:18 pm

Agreed with a lot of this.

Infact - I and a few on here/friends in the 'real' world thought that would be the tweak that Kompany would make - to be a tad more pragmatic and look to counter on teams more when in reality, we're probably even slower at times at building the play up this year than last season!

We do play some good stuff at times when we move the ball quickly but yeah when teams sit off and we meander with it, it really is painful and does open ourselves up to making a mistake for the reasons you pointed to; it's like a ticking time bomb.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:35 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:27 pm
Nobody has said that stats are annoying. They have their place.

They’ve said they don’t like the way in which they are used inappropriately to support a poor judgement. You are the biggest example of this on the message board .
Nonsense (my last post to this).

Some stats are obscure, others are direct relevance to goals. The one you objected to today wasn’t an obscure stat like xG, it was simply goals conceded from open play. My point was simple - that half a dozen sides have conceded similar. That’s not an opinion, it is a fact.

For every bit of chaos you see in our defending that supports your negative argument, I can point to similar for Man Utd with Onana, Brentford (who have been crazy at times) and Spurs with their flappy goalkeeping. Then their goals conceded records from open play back up that argument, it is poor.

I can’t do the same with the attack. We are clear outliers, us and Sheffield. We cannot create. When the manager says we do, it is a smokescreen. Now we can argue whether different tactics may create more, that is a separate point. I’m not claiming I know why our attack is the problem, just that it is.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:42 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:35 pm
Nonsense (my last post to this).

Some stats are obscure, others are direct relevance to goals. The one you objected to today wasn’t an obscure stat like xG, it was simply goals conceded from open play. My point was simple - that half a dozen sides have conceded similar. That’s not an opinion, it is a fact.

For every bit of chaos you see in our defending that supports your negative argument, I can point to similar for Man Utd with Onana, Brentford (who have been crazy at times) and Spurs with their flappy goalkeeping. Then their goals conceded records from open play back up that argument, it is poor.

I can’t do the same with the attack. We are clear outliers, us and Sheffield. We cannot create. When the manager says we do, it is a smokescreen. Now we can argue whether different tactics may create more, that is a separate point. I’m not claiming I know why our attack is the problem, just that it is.
You cherry picked a stat to suit a poor argument as you frequently do. Strange.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:45 pm

The game has too much emphasis on playing out from the back. Every team tries it and because every team tries it, it’s just too much. The art of defending has been lost. Barcelona were a revelation when playing out from the back started becoming more mainstream but it’s gone too far now. The Brazilian ronaldo would score 2000 goals against todays defences.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:32 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:29 pm
Statistically we let in 2.21 goals per game with Trafford in the nets after 28 games in the league.

We’re currently at 1.25 goals in per game with Muric after four games, that obviously may change in the coming weeks but it’s a pretty big difference so far.

We’re at least in games now with the big man back in.
That sample of 4 games includes Wolves (described in the BBC match report as “toothless” without the injured pair of Neto and Cunha) and Everton currently 1 of the 3 lowest scoring teams in the PL. Hardly a balanced sample of games on which to base criticism of Trafford.

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:41 pm

Very high risk, high reward. There is a reason why only a few teams can get the balance right and even then there occasional mistakes. But matters less for them as they have the capability to make up for it.

Last season we looked able ro do it against much weaker teams (invariably looking for the out ball over the top for Tella). Expecting to get away with it at this level, well, we've seen the results.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:38 pm

Told you all teams do it :lol: :lol:

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:43 pm

One problem with this playing about at the back, is that it doesn't get us anywhere. Most of our goals (and we don't score all that many) come from breakaways where we get the ball forward quickly. We're not good at breaking down a packed defence, or a defence that is given time to get organised.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:43 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:38 pm
Told you all teams do it :lol: :lol:
How many goals have we scored profiting from opponents mistakes when being caught needlessly in possession playing out from the back?
Surely these errors should even themselves out with all clubs doing it?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:45 pm

Top teams never ever make mistakes that lead to goals being given away, or do they?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:54 pm

Playing out from the back has many benefits, but it has to be played with some common sense.
Firstly you play the percentages, if it's safe great but any doubt get rid safely. Just put it in row z.
Secondly it invites the press, which is a good thing if you get the first part right. If you move the ball quickly, and forward obviously, you catch your opponents out of position. We rarely get the ball forward quickly enough, which is doubly sad because its when we look our best, and when we score most of our goals.

Where the good teams show their strength is when they recover the ball, and play it down the pitch blind, because they know where their team mates are going to be without looking. We too often play the short safe passes that just gives your opponents time to reset.

We're a work in progress, so it shouldn't be a surprise that others are better at it.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm

The one team that's less likely to play it out of defence are Everton. Clearly the instructions from SD are that they don't faff about in their own box. No coincidence that Everton though being near the bottom are 4th lowest goals conceded

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm
The one team that's less likely to play it out of defence are Everton. Clearly the instructions from SD are that they don't faff about in their own box. No coincidence that Everton though being near the bottom are 4th lowest goals conceded
In a post match interview Calvert-Lewin said they were aware of Burnley’s tendency at times to overplay from the back, and had practiced during the week putting us under pressure to take advantage of any errors.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:08 pm

We are seeing in the Liverpool United game examples of what I wrote above, that many teams get punished playing it out and it isn’t the reason why we are 2nd bottom. Looks like it may cost Liverpool the title.

I’m sure these managers all still believe in their approaches though.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:10 pm

Bobzuruncle wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:53 am
If that’s accurate it’s one hell of a stat !
Yes 32 league games, 7 sendings off, equals 22% with 10 men