County Championship started 4th April ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

County Championship started 4th April ...

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:04 pm

The first round of County Championship Cricket concluded yesterday, nine matches were scheduled, five in Division One and four in the Second tier ..

Remembering that the season started on 5th April, the blithering idiots who put together the schedule put Durham, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire, Derbyshire & Yorkshire at home !! Respectively, they faced Hampshire, Surrey, Essex, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire & Leicester ...

In the name of all that is holy, why not reverse the fixtures, excepting Warwickshire v Worcestershire ? The New Road ground in Worcester floods virtually every Winter/Spring ... Of the 9 games, only one had a positive result, and two were abandoned without a ball bowled ..

Idiocy ...
This user liked this post: Claretincraven

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Re: County Championship started 4th April ...

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:53 am

Two matches where not a ball was bowled: Durham and Derbys (yet, oddly, the only match with a result was next door at Notts).
Its always a bit dicey weather-wise at the start of the season and, as I've got older, I've tended to give the first couple of games a miss because of the temperatures.

With warmer temps, I'm hoping to get to Surrey v Hants 26-29 April. I live in Hants and have been a member of both counties but just at the Oval now. Lancs not down the Oval until late August when it should be well warm enough for that.

The weather (at least down here) looks a lot better for the 12th-15th April round of games, Surrey are away at Canterbury then but Lancs are down the Rose/Ageas/Utilita Bowl then- hopefully get myself down there for the first day at least.

Ill have to familiarise myself with all the player moves first- presumably a bit of county-swapping has gone on.