New Chief of Staff at the club - takes over the position vacated by Marc Boixasa

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3180 times
Has Liked: 481 times

New Chief of Staff at the club - takes over the position vacated by Marc Boixasa

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 pm

Sean Bai - he is an interesting character

Spanish surprise at official moving to Burnley – Was fired by Valencia in 2022 and has been vocal since
https://sportwitness.co.uk/spanish-surp ... cal-since/

Chester Perry

Re: New Chief of Staff at the club - takes over the position vacated by Marc Boixasa

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm

The information originally broke in the Straits Times

Former Singapore diplomat appointed English Premier League club Burnley’s chief of staff
https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/form ... f-of-staff
https://archive.ph/HBDDw

Chester Perry

Re: New Chief of Staff at the club - takes over the position vacated by Marc Boixasa

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pm

and for those who like to follow club officials on social media

https://www.instagram.com/seanbaizzz/

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

I might be ignorant but what exactly is a Chief of Staff?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Furthermore, is he going to be Russell Ball’s (Director of fan experience) boss?
If so he could make his first executive decision pretty soon. Fire him.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

Goliath
Been Liked: 239 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm

'He was then sacked in August 2022, report Super Deporte,, but didn’t disappear, as he’d been using social media to criticise the club’s management and back some of their players'

Don't like the sound of that

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm

It has to be remembered that Valencia are owned by Peter Lim - it is fair to say that his period of ownership has been a rather rocky road, that has seen a large number of employees come and go

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3120 times
Has Liked: 3862 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm
That’s a good question and in lots of places I have worked the role of a CoS has been very different. So on my relatively narrow experience I’d say there’s no one definition of the role.

I think traditionally they are a fixer, problem solver, number two (where the CFO isn’t the obvious number two), confidante and buffer between the CEO and his/her Execs, meaning you “go through” that person, run things past them etc beforehand.

Although in some places I’ve worked it’s been a relatively junior role not much more glamorous than a glorified PA and person who leads on “special projects” (**** that needs sweeping up).

Given most of the Exec team are ALK and investors I can’t really see it being the former, and given the report above says he spoke to Kompany for two hours I can’t see it being the latter.

So judging by the report CP posted I would guess it’s a role on the playing side basically keeping players happy and works to industrialise how we identify, attract and develop talent.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:59 pm

another article that also quotes a club statement - which is a surprise given there has been no official announcement from the club

Ex-Singapore diplomat named head of staff at English Premier League side Burnley
https://stjohnshoponhopoff.ca/stjohnson ... dvrtjon14/
https://archive.ph/ner77

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:59 pm
another article that also quotes a club statement - which is a surprise given there has been no official announcement from the club

Ex-Singapore diplomat named head of staff at English Premier League side Burnley
https://stjohnshoponhopoff.ca/stjohnson ... dvrtjon14/
https://archive.ph/ner77
They probably don’t consider internal administrative appointments newsworthy (which they’re not really) but will have a reactive one available if asked.

burnley007
Been Liked: 642 times
Has Liked: 675 times

Post by burnley007 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

Very interesting appointment.

The club is definitely evolving.

Will be an interesting ride over the next few years.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

It should be noted that Geylang International where Sean Bai was General Manager, after he left Valencia, is a partner to CFG, yes them, again!!

Football: Geylang are City Football Group’s first Asean partner
https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/foot ... an-partner

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 pm
They probably don’t consider internal administrative appointments newsworthy (which they’re not really) but will have a reactive one available if asked.
If you follow these things closely, and I am aware that some do much more closely than I, the turnover feels quite high and there is very little comment on almost any arrival or departure,

I could make a reference to the wall of silence on a number of things at the club, and there are many, but in regards to employees this is not unusual in for Premier League or many Championship club

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm
That’s a good question and in lots of places I have worked the role of a CoS has been very different. So on my relatively narrow experience I’d say there’s no one definition of the role.

I think traditionally they are a fixer, problem solver, number two (where the CFO isn’t the obvious number two), confidante and buffer between the CEO and his/her Execs, meaning you “go through” that person, run things past them etc beforehand.

Although in some places I’ve worked it’s been a relatively junior role not much more glamorous than a glorified PA and person who leads on “special projects” (**** that needs sweeping up).

Given most of the Exec team are ALK and investors I can’t really see it being the former, and given the report above says he spoke to Kompany for two hours I can’t see it being the latter.

So judging by the report CP posted I would guess it’s a role on the playing side basically keeping players happy and works to industrialise how we identify, attract and develop talent.
Cheers pal.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm
If you follow these things closely, and I am aware that some do much more closely than I, the turnover feels quite high and there is very little comment on almost any arrival or departure,

I could make a reference to the wall of silence on a number of things at the club, and there are many, but in regards to employees this is not unusual in for Premier League or many Championship club
I don’t think that exec/senior management turnover is uncommon and particularly in organisations that are seeking to adapt to, or implement, a new business model as we are. Some appointments don’t work out and again I would guess that’s more likely in scenarios where we are taking chances on relatively young and inexperienced people - we’re hardly recruiting Txiki Bergstein.

Plus in most cases where you have growth ambitions you recognise that while someone might be right for your immediate phase of development, they might not be for the next (if we established ourselves in the premier league again I imagine we’d look to reshape the senior management and execs again).

So in that scenario I would say we are absolutely right not to publicise either their appointments or their dismissals.

What’s interesting about this appointment for me is this guy is already at a club in his home country, we’re about to get relegated and he still jumped at the chance when told “the plan”. Does feel as though there’s always something that attracts even the more emerging talent.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32583 times
Has Liked: 5288 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:13 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm
Good question - Mark Thompson was the first to be appointed to that title, eventually became co-COO but was soon shown the door.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2331 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm

Speaking from experience working for a number of American companies, they generally seem to make up new job roles, become top heavy and then make redundancies or move folk
on 12 months later. The British personnel panic but it’s just common practise for them, I’m used to it and thankfully not working for an American company anymore, although I do answer to the Canadians now who can be quite pushy when it comes to sales numbers :lol:

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 703 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 pm

Its only a matter of time before players are renamed "Chief of ball retention " or " Chief of goal conversion ".
This user liked this post: bfcjg

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:01 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm
It has to be remembered that Valencia are owned by Peter Lim - it is fair to say that his period of ownership has been a rather rocky road, that has seen a large number of employees come and go
Among many other issues......

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm
Speaking from experience working for a number of American companies, they generally seem to make up new job roles, become top heavy and then make redundancies or move folk
on 12 months later. The British personnel panic but it’s just common practise for them, I’m used to it and thankfully not working for an American company anymore, although I do answer to the Canadians now who can be quite pushy when it comes to sales numbers :lol:
I’ve pretty much worked for American firms my whole career so I suppose it’s not anything new to me and the time I did work for an Australian firm it was bought by a US PE house in year three.

I reported to the CEO, he was potted within 4 months of the takeover (finding out his destiny in their boardroom when the guy presenting minimised his PowerPoint and his Outlook opened with an email discussing his sacking :lol: - had to go to a dinner with them that evening too - awkward!). The new guy came in just before Christmas to meet his direct reports before starting in new year. Over Christmas I got an email inviting me to an all-day meeting with him on his first day. I looked at the invite and it was just him and I. Spent the remainder of the break worrying about what it was, trying to convince myself the rest of the team would be there too.

I walked in and it was just him sat there. Convinced myself I was about to be sacked because I didn’t think my initial chat had gone that well. After some pleasantries he said: “NewClaret, I wanted to tell you that over the next twelve months I’ll be replacing the whole Exec team. I need you to tell me which order I should do it in”. And as simple as that I was plotting my ex colleagues downfall with him. In the afternoon he’d organised meetings with some of their replacements or possible replacements to meet/semi-interview and feed back on.

The most bizarre experience of my life but really not uncommon for new owners and CEO’s to want a clean sweep and a new team. Most of it is planned from the outset but executed over a more sensible time period. Three of the new team - the CFO, CRO and CIO - lasted less than six months under him, so again not uncommon for people to get hires wrong either. Deliver or get out, basically.
These 2 users liked this post: Loyalclaret Burnley1989

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2331 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 pm

I’ve pretty much worked for American firms my whole career so I suppose it’s not anything new to me and the time I did work for an Australian firm it was bought by a US PE house in year three.

I reported to the CEO, he was potted within 4 months of the takeover (finding out his destiny in their boardroom when the guy presenting minimised his PowerPoint and his Outlook opened with an email discussing his sacking :lol: - had to go to a dinner with them that evening too - awkward!). The new guy came in just before Christmas to meet his direct reports before starting in new year. Over Christmas I got an email inviting me to an all-day meeting with him on his first day. I looked at the invite and it was just him and I. Spent the remainder of the break worrying about what it was, trying to convince myself the rest of the team would be there too.

I walked in and it was just him sat there. Convinced myself I was about to be sacked because I didn’t think my initial chat had gone that well. After some pleasantries he said: “NewClaret, I wanted to tell you that over the next twelve months I’ll be replacing the whole Exec team. I need you to tell me which order I should do it in”. And as simple as that I was plotting my ex colleagues downfall with him. In the afternoon he’d organised meetings with some of their replacements or possible replacements to meet/semi-interview and feed back on.

The most bizarre experience of my life but really not uncommon for new owners and CEO’s to want a clean sweep and a new team. Most of it is planned from the outset but executed over a more sensible time period. Three of the new team - the CFO, CRO and CIO - lasted less than six months under him, so again not uncommon for people to get hires wrong either. Deliver or get out, basically.
Brilliant! :lol:

Ive had many a boss that's taken his 6 months gardening leave quite well :D