Does anyone regret the ALK takeover?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Does anyone regret the ALK takeover?

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 am

ten bellies wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:28 am
How can you regret something over which you had no control?
Plenty of fans were demanding a takeover for a variety of reasons though for many it was to do with whatever it required to keep the manager happy, for some that was irrespective of who came in, just as long as Mike Garlick left/ceded control as a result of his relationship breakdown with the manager. The desperation was to keep the manager happy enough for him to want to stay at the club.

That stance and the circumstance it created in terms of the actual offers that were on the table - we are only aware of two that seemed in anyway serious - led more or less everyone to believe the only viable offer (which was the one taken) came from ALK even though nothing was really known about it what the offer entailed other than it was no longer Mike Garlick in charge. As a result many were joyous when it went through even though it was known then that loans had been secured against the club to assist in the financing.

For some that may be a cause of regret, though I would not think for all

If I was to have a regret it would be that many did not heed the warnings of seeking to understand the implications before jumping to conclusions that they may come to regret. Many of the same people have done the same thing with this weekends news too. It would seem that they prefer to be bellicose about something they have not bothered to try and understand and then spew out ill thought out ways of resolving it in the way they will tell you is right. But that is just the way of society and it is magnified on this kind of forum
This user liked this post: ten bellies

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:43 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:37 pm
In my opinion we are part of the problem. Letting foreign owners come into our locally ran club is how these issues started.
By heck......they'll be building a "NEW ROAD" next! :mrgreen:

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 am

No, not yet.

I might come to in time, but for now they have to be given a chance. I was never in favour of the sale in the first place, but it's a reality, and the new board need our support, just as the club needs theirs. Let's see where it leads before we make judgement.

UTC
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 am

Nothing to regret, absolutely nothing as happened, the old regime could still be in control & you wouldn’t know any difference that’s not to say further down the line regrets may emerge but at this embryonic stage, nah.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 am

There’s nothing I personally could have done is there?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Just imagine Burnley post European Super League breakaway in the “new” Premier League without the other 6 and being cash rich (£80M+) to buy the best of the rest at massively deflated prices (all the best players in the ESL). We’d be regulars at the ESL scraps table picking up a fortune (in comparative terms for Burnley) whilst there too...

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

A trading profit of just £5m from the last pre Covid season (2019), a break even year with the effect of about 3/4 months of Covid (2020)
What will the next set of figures show - I presume a substantial loss (like every other club)

Garlick always said he was trying to protect the future of the club and I, for one, believe that to be true and maybe he saw the vision of new owners as a way to consolidate that hope

The fact that he made a handsome profit is purely down to the offer they made - what did people want him to do, give the club away for nothing

Did he have any insight into how ALK were going to fund this deal - I very much doubt it.

Unless you can get any new owners to miraculously deposit non returnable funds into the club bank before the deal is signed !

The idea of this Super League will almost certainly mean diminishing revenues for the other 14 clubs so don't expect much movement in the transfer market this summer (it probably wouldn't have happened anyway)

Does anyone regret the ALK takeover - I certainly do

And I heard this week there are some well respected former directors who feel the same way - and I am not talking about MG

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 am

As fans who were pretty much powerless to do anything about it, it's hard to feel any kind of regret. The only people capable of that would be the previous owners who sold the club.

But I'm sure a lot of people are still very uncomfortable about it, especially in light of the last 48 hours.

The club now has a massive debt hanging over it, which makes our reliance on PL money absolutely critical. We can't afford to get relegated, and we can't afford for the PL to lose a huge amount of its revenue.

So far, I'm not seeing any benefit to the takeover. All I'm seeing is a huge amount of risk.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 am

You have to appreciate that Alan Pace does not care about Burnley Football Club, it’s fans, the clubs history, its ethos or community it serves... he has no real interest unless there’s something to ‘tap in to’

Burnley Football Club is a business opportunity to him and that’s it. He will sell it down the river to make money from it. And it’s simple as that. Don’t have these romantic ideas - it’s the reality the what the sport is about these days.

He might have a positive public persona but he’s a business man. Also, he’s American who are renowned for fake sincerity. I’m sure he’s a nice, friendly man but he just wants the best of his Business... and that’s it.

To support a club at the highest level you have to detach yourself from the operations side because those running these Premier League clubs don’t care about fans. Why would they? Why put up with customers whinging and moaning about prices of pies, programmes and performances - you’d get rid of them and concentrate on the prawn sandwich brigade, those spending the real money.

I’m seriously done with football. You have to understand that Alan Pace would be going along with this ‘dirty dozen’ thing if given the opportunity to be part of it.
These 2 users liked this post: FeedTheArf Zlatan

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 am

Has our new chairman made a statement about the super league yet?
I’ve just listened to Alan Shearer’s take on the developments on BBC Breakfast and I never thought I’d find myself agreeing with the guy about the whole shitshow.

Alan Pace - where are you and what’s your opinion?
Nothing on his twitter feed for 3 days now.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 am

mikeS wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 am
What’s it matter his opinion? He’d only tell you want you want to hear anyway because he wasn’t invited to the party. You think Alan Pace really cares about the integrity of the English football league?

I think he’ll be personally mortified, he probably made a financial obligation to buy the club during the pandemic because he’d probably already spent loads on legal fees and so on to get it to a stage where it no feasible to back out - and now the best clubs from the league he wanted to make money from are now backing out it. Investing to a Premier League football club must be the worst decision the poor blokes ever made.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am

It's a difficult one really.

I hate how the takeover was financed. For a club that prided itself on being run correctly and financially balanced, to use the clubs own coffers as a way of buying that same business stinks. Now, if ALK put things in place from a recruitment, corporate and commercial point to increase revenues to a point where the loan repayments are covered and then some, that would be a different story. I struggle to see how they're going to achieve that. All I've seen so far is a couple of soundbites from Pace about being Britain's underdog. From someone who was so open with communication in his first few weeks it would be nice to get an update from him now with changes that have been done and those that are in the pipeline. Then you've got the inevitable chairman and director wages which I'm sure will be significant whereas the previous directors didn't take a wage (though you could argue they've more than made up for that from the takeover!). Whatever ALK go on to do for this football club I'm not sure I can get past the way the deal was financed, no matter how much Pace comes out to say it's reasonable and affordable - we were a debt free club and any takeover should have built from this position, not immediately plunge us into debt.

That said, the relationship between Dyche and Garlick was clearly untenable and something had to change. The saying goes 'no one person is bigger than the club'. When it comes to Dyche and his team I'm not sure that is the case. He's assembled a team of frankly average players by Premier League standards but managed to combine them in a way that is greater than the sum of their parts. Sometimes a manager and a club just fit and never seem to have the same level of success after they've parted ways - we experienced it with Coyle briefly. With the exception of 3, maybe 4 players, I genuinely don't think many others are getting into other teams' starting XI. Dyche gets the club, he might not like it sometimes but he's come to terms with the fact that he's not going to be able to sign multiple £20m players. Yes he's well rewarded, but how many other managers would continue to work this way whilst still producing a team capable of staying at the top table? If ALK manage to tie Dyche down to a new long-term contract it will go some way to demonstrating what they can do for this football club.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 am

I said prior to the takeover there are two kinds of buyers of Premier League football clubs. The ones who want to make money and the ones who want a play thing with enough money to finance their new toy. The latter is preferable for a club like Burnley. Unfortunately we got the former.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 am

There must be loads of people on here regretting it now.

Maybe certain people at the club are too - Dyche.

I’ve said all along his conduct was disgusting during the summer when he cried about the old board at every given chance in his interviews. I suppose it’s not the end of the world for him - he can just leave and say ‘well I’ve not been given what I was promised’ or whatever.

Us fans can’t go anywhere and will be around for the aftermath if this all goes tits up.

Worrying times.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 am
You have to appreciate that Alan Pace does not care about Burnley Football Club, it’s fans, the clubs history, its ethos or community it serves... he has no real interest unless there’s something to ‘tap in to’

Burnley Football Club is a business opportunity to him and that’s it. He will sell it down the river to make money from it. And it’s simple as that. Don’t have these romantic ideas - it’s the reality the what the sport is about these days.

He might have a positive public persona but he’s a business man. Also, he’s American who are renowned for fake sincerity. I’m sure he’s a nice, friendly man but he just wants the best of his Business... and that’s it.

To support a club at the highest level you have to detach yourself from the operations side because those running these Premier League clubs don’t care about fans. Why would they? Why put up with customers whinging and moaning about prices of pies, programmes and performances - you’d get rid of them and concentrate on the prawn sandwich brigade, those spending the real money.

I’m seriously done with football. You have to understand that Alan Pace would be going along with this ‘dirty dozen’ thing if given the opportunity to be part of it.
Don’t know if you came up with ‘dirty dozen’ yourself but it made me laugh

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 am

We can’t regret the takeover once it was clear that the old owners weren’t going to invest the surplus Premier League money in the team or facilities. It didn’t matter whether the cash was paid out as part of the purchase price, or earlier as wages or dividends like the Oystons. The effect is more or less the same. I can’t see the playing side being negatively affected from the takeover, nor the fans facilities.

The takeover is a small fraction of the issues facing the club now - temporary things like relegation and administration are of secondary importance - this is about the soul of the game and the enjoyment we get from it.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 am

Never wanted anything other then Clarets owning and running us ,it felt safe like I was part of it, I don't feel that now and could walk away.
This user liked this post: Hipper

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 am

mikeS wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 am

Nothing on his twitter feed for 3 days now.
Maybe he’s waiting to hear if we are going to be one of the other three founder members? :lol:

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am

Feels too early yet tbh. Although the idea of stability under old owners with 80m in the bank sounds pretty good in the immediate climate....

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 am

Remember though, part of the deal was an option to hand the club back to the previous shareholders in lieu of the final 2/3rds of the payments?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:11 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 am
No, not yet.

I might come to in time, but for now they have to be given a chance. I was never in favour of the sale in the first place, but it's a reality, and the new board need our support, just as the club needs theirs. Let's see where it leads before we make judgement.

UTC
I completely agree with this. They haven't had much of a chance yet, so I'm ready and willing to reserve judgement. Ultimately, despite them doing some things on the "periphery" to some extent (like how they're dealing with the season ticket renewals/price increases etc) the real crunch for most fans, including me will come in the summer transfer window. That's why more than ever I desperately hope we preserve our PL status and then we can see what their true investment intentions are. If we are still in the PL and they carry on during the summer like the previous regime, then we'll almost certainly be on our way out next season and deservedly so, but I just want us and them to have that opportunity to right the things which went unaddressed in previous windows and then see where we are.
The previous board had been absolutely brilliant, but it had run out of steam and we had stalled badly. We (sadly) needed a change and if this works then I'm fine with it. If it doesn't then at least something different was tried because we were getting in a mess without it.
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am
Feels too early yet tbh. Although the idea of stability under old owners with 80m in the bank sounds pretty good in the immediate climate....
ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 am
Remember though, part of the deal was an option to hand the club back to the previous shareholders in lieu of the final 2/3rds of the payments?
The only reason there was £80m cash in the club's accounts is because the first instalment of the 2020/21 tv money had been received. That money has now been spent on paying wages.

The deal was reported as £150 million for 84% of the shares. £100 m paid up front and £50 m to be paid over 3 instalments and only if those instalments aren't paid would the shares in the club be returned to MG and JB. I don't think we've seen any reports on what will trigger the 3 instalments, my guess is that staying in the Premier League this season may trigger the first of them.

UTC

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 am

To be fair we have to give ALK a chance. Just where transfer money will come from though, after seeing a leveraged takeover, is not clear. Just hope they are good at selling the brand.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:18 am

I don’t regret the takeover because I never wished for it. I always felt that the previous owners ran the club in such a way that had its long term interest at the forefront of all decision making.

Unfortunately the relationship soured with Dyche, and whilst I would hate to lose Dyche, I never felt that he was bigger than the club.

This breakdown in relationship and financial prudence left a lot of fans, myself included, frustrated with a threadbare squad. But using this message board as a gauge it is obvious that a hell of a lot of people have no sense of reality about the situation, and these people tended to be the most vociferous. In fact it is these posters who continue to blame the previous owners and criticise them for profiting from selling their stake after trying to hound them out.

It’s too early to know which way this will go. I warmed to the chairman and am looking forward to seeing where he takes us. But I said at the time be careful for what you wish for.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am

They’ve not really been at the helm long enough to judge. Actions always speak louder than words and first impressions last though.

It’s hard to believe Pace and his team had no idea about this with his American connections. He seemed to be unaware of how mercenary football agents are though.

I don’t see any plan to repay the debt and feel we will be saddled with this until they sell us on. Any new player funding looks like it will be funded by debt. think there was a compromise somewhere between the Garlick model and this.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 am

Some fans prior to takeover - wanted the board to invest heavily or sell up.

Same fans - don't like the new owners after 4 months and wistfully recall the Garlick era.

There's probably a good reason as to why those fans aren't multimillionaires with the funding and capability to purchase and operate an international multimillion pound business, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 am

I have never been anything other than utterly opposed to the takeover, and now that it has happened a fair amount of my long term love (60 years) for Burnley Football Club has died. I would much sooner have taken relegation over becoming an investment opportunity for people who care nothing about the club.

We were special before, now we are depressingly ordinary. Just another feature of the transformation of football from a sport into a business. To my mind, Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester City and the rest no longer exist as football clubs. They are just wholly-owned subsidiaries of international sports businesses that have bought the right to wear the kit and badge of those now defunct clubs.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 am

Erasmus wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:01 am
I have never been anything other than utterly opposed to the takeover, and now that it has happened a fair amount of my long term love (60 years) for Burnley Football Club has died. I would much sooner have taken relegation over becoming an investment opportunity for people who care nothing about the club.

We were special before, now we are depressingly ordinary. Just another feature of the transformation of football from a sport into a business. To my mind, Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester City and the rest no longer exist as football clubs. They are just wholly-owned subsidiaries of international sports businesses that have bought the right to wear the kit and badge of those now defunct clubs.
Agreed.

I could be wrong here and we’ll never know for sure but I suspect Al Pace would jump at the chance to join that super league if Burnley had been invited to the party.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am

djemba-djemba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:08 am
Agreed.

I could be wrong here and we’ll never know for sure but I suspect Al Pace would jump at the chance to join that super league if Burnley had been invited to the party.
I'm sure our former owners would've also jumped at the chance...
Any owner would if it lead to a massive increase in revenue, whether they're a fan or 'foreign' owner.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 am

The ESL doesn't change anything. We'd be in the same position with Garlick or Pace at the helm.

I'll reserve judgement on the takeover until the start of next season. If we still have SD as manager and we have invested in new players and a larger squad then I'll be thinking positively. If not then I'll be worried. Only time will tell.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 am

The tightning of the purse strings by Garlick did nothing to help Sean ,hopefully he will get much needed funds come August. If not then the Anti American abuse will be at a very high level

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 am
Some fans prior to takeover - wanted the board to invest heavily or sell up.

Same fans - don't like the new owners after 4 months and wistfully recall the Garlick era.

There's probably a good reason as to why those fans aren't multimillionaires with the funding and capability to purchase and operate an international multimillion pound business, but I can't quite put my finger on it...
These comments look like a mocking over simplification missing the the reality of what the majority of Burnley fans want

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:19 am

Still waiting for the northern powerhouse to come about! :)

Do you think that we might see a more engaged northern community post super league?

matucana
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by matucana » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am

I do and had reservations from the start.
I had the view that they knew little about English football,
less about Burnley FC and its role within the community, and even less about Burnley, the town and its people.
The brash comments about getting the takeover finalised in December to assist SD in the January transfer window was empty talk. Maybe they did not understand how the transfer market worked, the role of agents etc, negotiating positions re wages and fees etc. I suspect all their deficiencies were being quickly exposed hence the return of Dave Baldwin to advise. That action may have been suggested by MG/JB.
Of the few comments that have emerged one particularly stood out for me. Using Turf Moor seven days per week putting on events/concerts etc. The good people of Burnley find it tough to find £35 for a walk on yet alone £75 to possibly see Tom Jones, and if Tom's loyal following came from elsewhere around the country where are the hotels to accommodate them?
This is my 66th season supporting the Clarets and like many on here I have seen many initiatives to try and raise funds. Golden buckets, turnstile, gamble, popcorn,majorettes, pom pom dancers etc. All have been tried and run their course. Even hostile takeover bids bit the dust.
I fear that ALK will quickly run out of road, sell key players to cover their loans and investments and then sell the club for a knockdown price that will represent a return to them for their efforts, all within the next 18 months/2 years.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am
People supporting the lack of investment were actually the ones with ''no sense of reality''.

''Covid wiped out our entire balance'' said SidneyFakeNews
''We couldn't afford £50M every window'' Colburn Claret guessed
''Sean spent all of the budget on wages'' Di Bradio screamed

Fake news, made up requests and fantasy.
I don't think that anybody was supporting a lack of investment. I think some people just took the time to understand the reasoning behind it.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am

He seemed to be unaware of how mercenary football agents are.
I think you have touched on a really important point here BH.

If Alan didn’t know what a bunch of absolute shysters football agents are, what else is there that he and his team unaware of in the way that the murky world of football operates?

I think it’s a real concern that at this crucial time we potentially have what looks like one of the babes in the wood at the helm. Alan looks to have predicated all his plans on increasing revenues when it looks like future TV money, commercial income and player valuations will be slashed.

Looks like ITV Digital all over again to me atm.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am

Never wanted it. Don't think much of it now.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am

ALK

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am
People supporting the lack of investment were actually the ones with ''no sense of reality''.

''Covid wiped out our entire balance'' said SidneyFakeNews
''We couldn't afford £50M every window'' Colburn Claret guessed
''Sean spent all of the budget on wages'' Di Bradio screamed

Fake news, made up requests and fantasy.
You've either had a redbull or some weetabix this morning for breakfast.

This time last year no one knew how long we'd have no fans or even if this season would go ahead in full.

We still don't know what revenue the club has lost for this season due to zero matchday revenue, zero season ticket revenue as that's being rolled over to next season and TV rebates.

Time and again you, and others on here, have shown a complete lack of desire to understand these things and still you feel brave enough to dig me out.

Go away little man, you're not big enough for this conversation.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:50 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 am
These comments look like a mocking over simplification missing the the reality of what the majority of Burnley fans want
A large number don't know what they want though.

In their ideal world there would a Burnley version of Abramovich, there isn't one though.

Many could see that Garlick etc had reached the end of what they could achieve with their business model.
Many were throwing out some disgusting comments about the previous owners too.

The owners found a buyer and that's it.
Now we get people complaining that we have a new owner, that they don't understand what the new owners are going to achieve or what the minute details are of the new owners business plans....

Basically, they wanted the old owners gone, but to only sell to new owners that the fans accept, but when the fans don't have a united view of what sort of owner they want....

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:58 am

Never wanted it. Don't think much of it now.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:59 am

I was against foreign owners, but willing to give them a chance. This summer will tell us a lot I think.

redcloud203
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by redcloud203 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 am

For ALK to have bought the club there had to be a willing seller .

The previous shareholders were not forced to sell and obviously were happy to sell their holding at the price and terms offered by ALK .

One has to hope ALK are long term investors as they state . We need to give them the chance to prove this .

Prefer to have these new owners who want to be involved than the previous ones who were happy to exit at the right price.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am

I will answer this question in September.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am
You've either had a redbull or some weetabix this morning for breakfast.

This time last year no one knew how long we'd have no fans or even if this season would go ahead in full.

We still don't know what revenue the club has lost for this season due to zero matchday revenue, zero season ticket revenue as that's being rolled over to next season and TV rebates.

Time and again you, and others on here, have shown a complete lack of desire to understand these things and still you feel brave enough to dig me out.

Go away little man, you're not big enough for this conversation.
Is there any need in speaking to people like that.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 pm
I don’t want to start a massive argument just honest discussion. Something just doesn’t sit right with me following the news of the ESL. It has made me really think about the club I love. Have we sold our soul to the globalisation of football with this takeover?

I wish we were still owned by Garlick and Co, I don’t think for one second they would ever consider entering a competition like that. However with the new owners I think they would join if they were invited.

I was very disappointed the club hasn’t come out with a statement today.
No regrets from me because there is nothing to have regrets about. Time will tell whether this has been a positive move or not but yesterday's breaking news doesn't affect us and we will not be getting an invite.

As for making a statement, the clubs board, I was told by someone last week, were in conference all day yesterday at a board meeting and Alan Pace will be attending today's urgently convened Premier League meeting.

Quite why you have linked out takeover to yesterday's news I really don't know and from what I'm hearing I don't think there is anything we should be getting too concerned about.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:50 am
A large number don't know what they want though.

In their ideal world there would a Burnley version of Abramovich, there isn't one though.

Many could see that Garlick etc had reached the end of what they could achieve with their business model.
Many were throwing out some disgusting comments about the previous owners too.

The owners found a buyer and that's it.
Now we get people complaining that we have a new owner, that they don't understand what the new owners are going to achieve or what the minute details are of the new owners business plans....

Basically, they wanted the old owners gone, but to only sell to new owners that the fans accept, but when the fans don't have a united view of what sort of owner they want....
I agree .
This is only true of a small number though and while I can understand you questioning what they want , the multi millionaire thing is unfair. Not many of us are whatever we think about the new ownership.
I didn’t want new owners but have to say the American deal worries me

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 am
No regrets from me because there is nothing to have regrets about. Time will tell whether this has been a positive move or not but yesterday's breaking news doesn't affect us and we will not be getting an invite.

As for making a statement, the clubs board, I was told by someone last week, were in conference all day yesterday at a board meeting and Alan Pace will be attending today's urgently convened Premier League meeting.

Quite why you have linked out takeover to yesterday's news I really don't know and from what I'm hearing I don't think there is anything we should be getting too concerned about.
I have linked the two because for me Foreign ownership in football is the source of the ESL.
Owners with no ties to the community/ club, they are only here for one reason. Make as much money as possible regardless of how it’s affects the club.

I was proud that this club was ran by local people that actually cared about the club.

I can no longer say that with ALK.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am
I agree .
This is only true of a small number though and while I can understand you questioning what they want , the multi millionaire thing is unfair. Not many of us are whatever we think about the new ownership.
I didn’t want new owners but have to say the American deal worries me
The new owners don't worry me yet, but that's because I'm willing to give them time to properly get their feet under the table and to action their plans fully.
Then and only then can anyone judge how their ownership is going.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am
I have linked the two because for me Foreign ownership in football is the source of the ESL.
Owners with no ties to the community/ club, they are only here for one reason. Make as much money as possible regardless of how it’s affects the club.

I was proud that this club was ran by local people that actually cared about the club.

I can no longer say that with ALK.
Foreign ownership wasn't behind the drive for the PL

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:29 am

It's obviously far too early to tell whether it will be a good, bad or average thing.

We've had one transfer window which, due to a global pandemic, was one of the quietest in years. There's also been no fans allowed in the grounds and huge issues to navigate.

I wasn't one who was hankering after a takeover, I was realistic enough to understand that the conservative business approach had its merits for us and I wasn't naïve enough to think that a bunch of American venture capitalists would be in it for anything but the profits but, we are where we are and for them to make those profits the club still needs to be successful.