Our summer window.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: Our summer window.

Post by Conroy92 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:49 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:43 pm
Hysaj from Napoli?
That's him!

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm

I think I read somewhere that AC Milan were after him. I may be wrong mind you but it came straight to mind.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:39 pm
That all depends on whether these high earners still want first team football or not at a level below, whether they'd be allowed to leave in any case, what the difference is in wages between what the two clubs would pay and whether we could utilise the loan system to assist these players.

Never as black and white as some would believe.
You appear to be agreeing with me

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun May 23, 2021 8:53 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm
You appear to be agreeing with me
Not really. I'm saying it's not quite as simple as stating that they'll be too difficult to move on because they earn too much money.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm
I think I read somewhere that AC Milan were after him. I may be wrong mind you but it came straight to mind.
Just had a Google of him and it looks like a few top sides were chasing him a season or two ago so could be out of our league.

OssyClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by OssyClaret » Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm
That final job is quite sizeable, and hugely unrealistic in a single transfer window.
I know. I did try to make that point in my first sentence but not very clearly. Will probably take another 2/3 good windows to sort that, by which time there will probably another 2/3 names to add to be replaced

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:53 pm

We currently have 22 senior pros
Only Brady and Gibson are due to leave this summer from that squad
People have said that others (surplus to requirements), can be moved on but who is going to take them
Barnes maybe, Jay maybe, but who else would be seen as giving any value to another team especially with their current wages and age
Hopefully, we will see Brady and Gibson replaced, plus a replacement for JT should an acceptable offer come in
But I fear that will be it as far as potential first team starters are concerned
In the main, what you saw out there today will start the first game of the next season

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 pm

I'm not looking at the summer transfer rumours thread this year. The last two years I've wasted hours if my life constantly checking in, hoping for something. Instead I am going to buy various tins of food and count their contents in preparation for the tinned food count. Far more fun.
This user liked this post: Rumbletonk

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun May 23, 2021 10:29 pm

We are too late in my view for re-building. Should have started two seasons ago, but the sniff of the buyout kept the coffers shut and business ruled. Tough job now for Dyche and Co. Dyche has done a magnificent job this season.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 pm

The emphasis has to be on lowering age and purchasing athleticism. With our system, we can do without ball players for another season and replenish that core so we can grow again the season after. We've been allowed to drift so we probably need five in due to previous transfer window debacles. Next in line CB replacement and Tarky signs or leaves on a free at the end of the next season. Would take a keeper after looking at the two in reserve. Norris booted out, free transfer if need be. I'd leave RB for next season and give a year extension to Bardsley - Lowton's form has been good. Sell Barnes (a big fan but think he is done at this level) if possible and bring in a younger striker - look lower down the leagues. If can't sell, loan him out and get the wages off the books. We need to bolster CM with physicality rather than a ball player. The defence backing off and the midfield being miles behind needs resolving. ******* sick of the same form of concession. The next Defour will have to wait a season. We need a pacy right winger. An absolute flyer. Not fussed about skill. We sit deep so someone for a long diags to release pressure and make opposition think twice.

ALK need to go big this window or Dyche leaves/relegation is a certainty. I can not see how their business plan stacks up with any longevity in the Championship. Do or bust for them. We've got no room for the shite excuses we've been fed over the last few windows. Pick through Barnsley, Bournemouth, Fulham, Blades, Derby, Forest and take their best players. Covid will have had an impact on their finances and we have guaranteed PL for one more season. If it there is no benefit to us from that then it is time to **** this all off. Look at some of the frees from Palace. The rebuild does not have to be massively costly in footballing terms. Five players for the price of one West Ham signing.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun May 23, 2021 10:50 pm

I'd be all over the free agents this summer to boost the squad.

Wayne Hennessey to boost GK ranks wouldn't be a bad addition.
Andros Townsend would be a great option.
Kyle Bartley would be a decent back up to Mee and Tarkowski.
Josh King would be a great addition.
John Lundstram is one we will probably go on and sign. Not sure he's any better than what we already have though.
These 2 users liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx NewClaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:29 pm
We are too late in my view for re-building. Should have started two seasons ago, but the sniff of the buyout kept the coffers shut and business ruled. Tough job now for Dyche and Co. Dyche has done a magnificent job this season.
no chance we are too late, not even close

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 23, 2021 10:55 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 pm

ALK need to go big this window or Dyche leaves/relegation is a certainty. I can not see how their business plan stacks up with any longevity in the Championship. Do or bust for them. We've got no room for the shite excuses we've been fed over the last few windows. Pick through Barnsley, Bournemouth, Fulham, Blades, Derby, Forest and take their best players. Covid will have had an impact on their finances and we have guaranteed PL for one more season. If it there is no benefit to us from that then it is time to **** this all off. Look at some of the frees from Palace. The rebuild does not have to be massively costly in footballing terms. Five players for the price of one West Ham signing.
Could not agree more with this although would add WBA to the list. I worry about adding too many to a squad at once and in some respects would prefer we target quality over quantity, but it doesn’t have to be a really expensive job this summer.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 23, 2021 11:02 pm

colne-claret wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:50 pm
I'd be all over the free agents this summer to boost the squad.

Wayne Hennessey to boost GK ranks wouldn't be a bad addition.
Andros Townsend would be a great option.
Kyle Bartley would be a decent back up to Mee and Tarkowski.
Josh King would be a great addition.
John Lundstram is one we will probably go on and sign. Not sure he's any better than what we already have though.
this, there's some excellent players available on free transfers. Mowatt and Woodrow at Barnsley are two, not sure if they're good enough but it's even a possible chance to make some £. Pick those two up on frees and sell them a year later. If Wells is £5M, Woodrow is at least that.
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun May 23, 2021 11:19 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:02 pm
this, there's some excellent players available on free transfers. Mowatt and Woodrow at Barnsley are two, not sure if they're good enough but it's even a possible chance to make some £. Pick those two up on frees and sell them a year later. If Wells is £5M, Woodrow is at least that.
Mowatt has always looked a decent player. He'd be a good option for the squad.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun May 23, 2021 11:25 pm

I suspect Mr Worrall will join.
Another goalkeeper shuffle, perhaps.
An outstanding replacement for Defour.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon May 24, 2021 7:59 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:53 pm
We currently have 22 senior pros
Only Brady and Gibson are due to leave this summer from that squad
People have said that others (surplus to requirements), can be moved on but who is going to take them
Barnes maybe, Jay maybe, but who else would be seen as giving any value to another team especially with their current wages and age
Hopefully, we will see Brady and Gibson replaced, plus a replacement for JT should an acceptable offer come in
But I fear that will be it as far as potential first team starters are concerned
In the main, what you saw out there today will start the first game of the next season
Dyche has said that we need more depth - more numbers. With that in mind I would think that we will be aiming to bring in more than what leaves.

We already need a winger regardless of whether Brady leaves. If Brady leaves we need two.

We already need a centre half to replace Gibson. If Tarky leaves we need two.

Then Dyche has spoken about the lack of quality in the final 3rd again and also mentioned about “shuffling the pack” so it wouldn’t surprise me if one or two others leave.

But if 3 or 4 leave then 6 or 7 need to come in or we will be in the same situation with a stretched squad again.

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 352 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Mon May 24, 2021 8:10 am

It would be great to see us get some deals done early for once.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am

As difficult as it is to recruit, we also need to try and get players in sooner rather than later. We can't keep leaving it until the last minute in the hope that something falls into place. The manager also needs time to work with the players and get them acclimatised to how we play. We simply can't afford to start this season like we did last season.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 am

This summer we desperately need at least 1 Cb (2 if Tarks leaves). 1 CM (first team quality). 2 wingers and a decent back up striker.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 24, 2021 9:40 am

DCWat wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:34 pm
You want rid of Cork but want to offer Brady a further twelve months because the squad is threadbare?

I’d be looking to bolster the right wing and bring in one, perhaps two central midfielders who would push Cork and Westwood more into reserve. Brownhill so far for me has been a mistake.

I suspect right back will wait until next summer - hasn’t Bardsley been given an extra year? We then need two centre halves, three if Tarkowski leaves.

Oh and add to that a goalkeeper, based on the efforts of Norris and BPF.

We won’t do all of that in one window, but previous have left us in a position where recruitment numbers required are bigger than is the ideal in a single window.
Never said I would get rid of Cork. I would retain him let him roll his contract down and take it from there, he still a influencial member of the squad.

Agree with most of what you say and I am certainly with you on Brownhill
This user liked this post: DCWat

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am

For me Brownhill is being asked to do a job he’s not quite cut out for. What he is cut out for though is cutting out opposition attacks , in the Kante mould if you will, albeit clearly not at the level of Kante but you get my drift. He needs a technically gifted midfielder alongside him for when he wins the ball back and quickly moves it along to someone else, as Brownhill doesn’t seem the best on the ball at the moment, maybe it’s nerves, or maybe just his level of ability. If we are to adopt a midfield 3 next year in certain games then an upgraded Cork who’s a little quicker would be ideal, say in front of the back 4 with Brownhill as the engine and Westwood doing his thing, all this being said without a winger who can outpace a fullback on the right to take the weight off Dwight on the opposite flank , it may fall down pretty easily as it did yesterday.

yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by yosserhughes » Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 am

I want to know how we are going to finance all these transfers ? when the current owners hasn't got a pot to *iss in.

Unless we sell 2 or 3 of the stars.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am
For me Brownhill is being asked to do a job he’s not quite cut out for. What he is cut out for though is cutting out opposition attacks , in the Kante mould if you will, albeit clearly not at the level of Kante but you get my drift. He needs a technically gifted midfielder alongside him for when he wins the ball back and quickly moves it along to someone else, as Brownhill doesn’t seem the best on the ball at the moment, maybe it’s nerves, or maybe just his level of ability. If we are to adopt a midfield 3 next year in certain games then an upgraded Cork who’s a little quicker would be ideal, say in front of the back 4 with Brownhill as the engine and Westwood doing his thing, all this being said without a winger who can outpace a fullback on the right to take the weight off Dwight on the opposite flank , it may fall down pretty easily as it did yesterday.

Not sure I agree with the above. Dyche clearly see Brownhill as an advanced midfielder (similar to hendrick).

I am of the opinion that Westwood is our only CM that is premier league quality. The others are either ageing or simply not good enough.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon May 24, 2021 10:09 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:48 pm
It doesn’t seem two minutes since people were saying how much better and balanced we look with Cork back in midfield... now folk want rid? Amazing!

:roll:
I know, some people lurch from 1 extreme opinion on a game to game basis depending on the last result :D BFC fantasy football managers united.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 24, 2021 10:41 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:09 am
I know, some people lurch from 1 extreme opinion on a game to game basis depending on the last result :D BFC fantasy football managers united.
You are right, but I made a point of just keeping my eye on him yesterday during the game , and he made very little contribution, simple three yard passes, little tracking back, no attempting to get the ball and probe forwards. This against the worst side in the Division. He has not exactly been over worked this year. By contrast Westwood is chasing, harrying, probing and as another poster has mentioned our only PL quality midfielder. Also he provides ample assists and chips in with goal. We need to think big in this area. For me Gallagher of WBA , even if only on loan, immediately enhances midfield

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon May 24, 2021 10:56 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:52 pm
no chance we are too late, not even close
It depends on how many new players we need to bring in. I think about 5 and that's not going to happen. And bringing in a lot at one time all needing to settle would not be an easy task.Better to have phased the re-build - which is definitely required.

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon May 24, 2021 11:22 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 am
Not sure I agree with the above. Dyche clearly see Brownhill as an advanced midfielder (similar to hendrick).

I am of the opinion that Westwood is our only CM that is premier league quality. The others are either ageing or simply not good enough.
You can be advanced and win the ball back. But at the moment he doesn’t seem as confident on the ball

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 24, 2021 11:32 am

Stayingup wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:56 am
It depends on how many new players we need to bring in. I think about 5 and that's not going to happen. And bringing in a lot at one time all needing to settle would not be an easy task.Better to have phased the re-build - which is definitely required.
The problem we have is that Dyche clearly rates a number of our first team players higher than they really are.His post match talks since the Fulham game have been quite worrying, ie "I cant fault this bunch of players", that is an instant admission to me that in his own heart he knows the squad has limitations. Its also worrying to hear him say that in recent windows there have not been the right guys available to bring in. Makes you wonder if we really tried. How did Dawson, Walcott, Lingard , King all manage to secure loans or transfers.You cant hide away from some fairly shocking performances of late ie Leeds, yesterday, and then games like WBA at home , Saints away , and Spurs away.

It has resulted in strange team selections with an over protection of players like Cork, JBG and Brownhill. For me one of the positives of the last third of the season has been the form of Vydra who was not given a chance in the first few seasons, who simply should have been preferred to Brownhill yesterday. He showed yesterday within minutes how he can spin and turn defenders. Had we been relegated this side would have really struggled to come back

I think one of Pace's big first tasks is to start challenging Dyche on some of the off-field activities that SD seems to control. It does not surprise me now why there was clearly a poor working relationship between Garlick and Dyche. Maybe this suited Dyche in the event of relegation that he could criticise the depth of our squad. I noticed he made reference to it again yesterday and mentioned the absence of key players injured for a poor end of the season. There are only two PL clubs who can justify their performances this season down to missing key players and thats Liverpool and Wolves

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 pm

yosserhughes wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 am
I want to know how we are going to finance all these transfers ? when the current owners hasn't got a pot to *iss in.

Unless we sell 2 or 3 of the stars.
I want to know how you know that they haven't got a pot to **** in?

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon May 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm
Cork needs replacing he looks buggered. We can make do with the right sided midfield berth with JBG, and giving Brady a further 12 months, but a quality central midfielder to play along side Westwood is a must.

Our squad is too threadbare to hsve a clear out, we need to bring players in first and then trim down the squad
We cannot make do with the pair of JBG and Brady on the right. As previously covered they pick up injuries as regularly as clockwork and they both stifle any forward momentum. Yesterday, every time we got the ball out to JBG on the right, he turned back and played the ball inside. Often it ended up back with Tarks or Dunne. Players on the "wrong wing" can work if they have pace or skill to cut inside and use their stronger foot - Grealish at Villa, St Maximin at Newcastle as 2 examples. JBG has neither, so the simple task for the full back is to show him inside and that ends any attempt at going forwards. I know it has been covered ad infinitum, but we are desperately in need of some pace in the side, particularly in the middle third. Otherwise teams who shift the ball through the middle expose us - West Ham, Newcastle, Southampton, Leeds and even 10 man West Brom have done it recently.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 pm
It’s pretty well reported everywhere they haven’t got a pot to **** in.

Some of the most well know financial reporters were even joking about it on social media when the takeover happened

yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by yosserhughes » Mon May 24, 2021 12:21 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Only going of some of the comments on here, and why get a loan to buy the Club if you are loaded ?

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 pm
It’s pretty well reported everywhere they haven’t got a pot to **** in.

Some of the most well know financial reporters were even joking about it on social media when the takeover happened
Where?

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 24, 2021 12:24 pm

yosserhughes wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:21 pm
Only going of some of the comments on here, and why get a loan to buy the Club if you are loaded ?
Why get a mortgage to buy a house? If they have a solid business plan that will free up funds and allow us to move forward what's the issue?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Never understood why Brownhill gets such a raw deal on here.

Defensive stats for 2 Burnley CM's, one a fan fav, one isn't as much.
You'd be hard pressed to tell me which is which without checking for yourself.
Screenshot_20210524_121807_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210524_121807_com.android.chrome.jpg (164.52 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Screenshot_20210524_121816_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210524_121816_com.android.chrome.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:25 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:24 pm
Why get a mortgage to buy a house? If they have a solid business plan that will free up funds and allow us to move forward what's the issue?
You get a mortgage to buy a house because you can’t afford the house with your own funds.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:24 pm
Never understood why Brownhill gets such a raw deal on here.

Defensive stats for 2 Burnley CM's, one a fan fav, one isn't as much.
You'd be hard pressed to tell me which is which without checking for yourself.

Screenshot_20210524_121807_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210524_121816_com.android.chrome.jpg
Think everyone is aware of his defensive stats/ability. For me it is going the other way. For me he has offered nothing offensively all season and I think that’s the main difference between the two.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2600 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:32 am
The problem we have is that Dyche clearly rates a number of our first team players higher than they really are.
Or...... the problem we have is that Burnley fans rate a number of first team players lower than they really are........

Pick your poison..... I'll stick with the manager thanks.

Some people expecting 6 or 7 transfers in must be living in a parallel universe, where we have billionaire new owners who are going on a splurge, rather than owners saying that there will be funds to strengthen, but it's evolution not revolution.

Going to need some big vats to collect all the tears in when 6 0r 7 signings don't materialise I suspect.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Rileybobs

Claret_tinted
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Claret_tinted » Mon May 24, 2021 12:34 pm

I took from first Pace’s comments and then Dyches, that the two are currently thrashing out the transfer budget for the summer.

Dyche will rightly be using leverage from other jobs to ensure he is able to strengthen. I think he will leave, I still think Spurs.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm
Think everyone is aware of his defensive stats/ability. For me it is going the other way. For me he has offered nothing offensively all season and I think that’s the main difference between the two.
He's doing the job asked of him by his manager, something people are failing to grasp on here.

Brownhill isn't the problem....

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm
Or...... the problem we have is that Burnley fans rate a number of first team players lower than they really are........

Pick your poison..... I'll stick with the manager thanks.

Some people expecting 6 or 7 transfers in must be living in a parallel universe, where we have billionaire new owners who are going on a splurge, rather than owners saying that there will be funds to strengthen, but it's evolution not revolution.

Going to need some big vats to collect all the tears in when 6 0r 7 signings don't materialise I suspect.
Ok, so given the managers comments post match yesterday about the need for more numbers and the likelihood that Gibson, Tarkowski, Brady and Dunne are almost certain to leave (without even speculating about other first team players who could leave), how many would you suggest that we need to bring in to appease the manager's requirements for a "deeper squad"?

I'm well aware that under normal circumstances 6 or 7 players might be a lot for Burnley but I don't see how we can give the manager what he wants by replacing 3 or 4 with 3 or 4.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 12:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 pm
He's doing the job asked of him by his manager, something people are failing to grasp on here.

Brownhill isn't the problem....
Do you not think he could offer the same as Westwood? I don’t think that’s too much to ask for.

Brownhill is great at breaking up play but for me we need more than that. Cork of a few years ago, or Barton or Defour type is urgently needed.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2600 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Ok, so given the managers comments post match yesterday about the need for more numbers and the likelihood that Gibson, Tarkowski, Brady and Dunne are almost certain to leave (without even speculating about other first team players who could leave), how many would you suggest that we need to bring in to appease the manager's requirements for a "deeper squad"?

I'm well aware that under normal circumstances 6 or 7 players might be a lot for Burnley but I don't see how we can give the manager what he wants by replacing 3 or 4 with 3 or 4.
Gibson hasn't been here for the season, so suspect Dyche isn't counting him. Dyche said that they would keep Tarkowski in a recent interview didn't he? Brady will go, Dunne will go, and be replaced by somebody like Bobby Thomas as the 4th choice centre half. I suspect that it may be a success if Tarkowski, Pope, McNeill and Mee sign new deals, they keep the majority of the rest of the squad, and add 1-2 first team starters (right wing a priority) and 1-2 improvements in squad players.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:25 pm
You get a mortgage to buy a house because you can’t afford the house with your own funds.
But you have a solid plan in place to enable you to pay that mortgage right?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:03 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Do you not think he could offer the same as Westwood? I don’t think that’s too much to ask for.

Brownhill is great at breaking up play but for me we need more than that. Cork of a few years ago, or Barton or Defour type is urgently needed.
Would I like more forward threat?
Yes.

Am I willing to show more patience towards a lad who's just done his first full season which has been a strange one and a long slog...?
Also yes.

Writing him off when he's clearly showing he's made the step up in some areas and just needs to improve in other areas just smacks of impatience and an unwillingness to support player growth.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:03 pm
Would I like more forward threat?
Yes.

Am I willing to show more patience towards a lad who's just done his first full season which has been a strange one and a long slog...?
Also yes.

Writing him off when he's clearly showing he's made the step up in some areas and just needs to improve in other areas just smacks of impatience and an unwillingness to support player growth.
I could appreciate that if he was a young player. But he is reaching the peak of his career. You might be right and he turns out to be a good player. But for me he is a long way off being good enough at this level.

I think if there is better available we should upgrade on him.

Nothing against the lad he grafts his nuts off every game.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:13 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:00 pm
But you have a solid plan in place to enable you to pay that mortgage right?
That is the point though, they don’t just need to pay of the mortgage they need to invest serious sums into the squad. As highlighted by a number of other posters the most likely way we will see investment this summer is via player sales or taking on further debt.

I have said it before I really want to like ALK, I will withhold judgement until august 31st.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Out of interest, how much do some realistically think we should spend on players?

£20, £30, £40, £50 million?
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 WiscoClaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:10 pm
I could appreciate that if he was a young player. But he is reaching the peak of his career. You might be right and he turns out to be a good player. But for me he is a long way off being good enough at this level.

I think if there is better available we should upgrade on him.

Nothing against the lad he grafts his nuts off every game.
He isn't a long way off, that's already proven with his defensive stats being similar or better than your fav, Westwood.