We're forming views of ALK/ Pace, what views are they forming about us ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

We're forming views of ALK/ Pace, what views are they forming about us ?

Post by bfcjg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:10 am

Do you think they get us yet ?
Perhaps they think we are stuck in our ways, backwards looking, perhaps they think we are embracing change, do they admire our loyalty/passion or is that less important to them as our global brand takes presidency.
Not sure myself, we get the platitudes but in private meetings I think there may be intakes of breath and raised eyebrows, either at us or the infrastructure they have inherited ( not all the individuals though those of merit especially in the ticket office are mentioned on here).

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: We're forming views of ALK/ Pace, what views are they forming about us ?

Post by SammyBoy » Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 am

I remember in the first month or so after ALK completed their takeover seeing a job advert they put out for some sort of data analyst/scouting role and it was honestly night and day in terms of presentation compared to previous stuff I'd seen produced by the club. It sounded more like they were hiring for Wall Street than the Turf and I wouldn't be surprised if it'd been written by Alan Pace himself. Equally, I recall thinking that they'd be lucky to find many candidates with the skillset/experience they wanted in the local area.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:20 am

They won't raise eyebrows at the fans, we're no different to fans of any other club tbh.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri May 28, 2021 9:21 am

Personally, I think that Alan Pace comes over very well, and I've no reason to think that he's lied about anything in his interviews. That means he, at least, seems to like us. Our underdog status and our loyalty seem to go down well with him.

Of course, he and the new board will eventually expect to make money, and before they came here, they will have looked at the infrastructure and how they could monetise it. With what they have done to bring advertising into the 21st century and the link up with YellowHeart, it seems like they are not letting the grass grow under their feet. (That should please Mikel Arteta at least.)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:20 am
They won't raise eyebrows at the fans, we're no different to fans of any other club tbh.
We are though far better looking.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:01 am

Naive, cloth-capped, fat-bellyed (bellied?) , forelock-tugging peasants would be my quick stab at it.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri May 28, 2021 10:06 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:01 am
Naive, cloth-capped, fat-bellyed (bellied?) , forelock-tugging peasants would be my quick stab at it.
Quite. I'm not too arsed what he thinks of us. The club's been here 139 years and we'll be here long after they've gone. Hopefully they do a great job and modernise the areas that really need it. I'm neither for or against them, not that it would make a difference anyway.

But 99% of what matters is do we line up in August with Dyche in the dugout and a few new faces on the pitch. Everything else is fluff, albeit well presented.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 GodIsADeeJay81 k90bfc

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 28, 2021 10:19 am

fatboy47 wrote:
And six fingers.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri May 28, 2021 10:19 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 am
I remember in the first month or so after ALK completed their takeover seeing a job advert they put out for some sort of data analyst/scouting role and it was honestly night and day in terms of presentation compared to previous stuff I'd seen produced by the club. It sounded more like they were hiring for Wall Street than the Turf and I wouldn't be surprised if it'd been written by Alan Pace himself. Equally, I recall thinking that they'd be lucky to find many candidates with the skillset/experience they wanted in the local area.
Was this the one where they wanted technical knowledge, work experience and a load of other skills and attributes, then offered a salary of about 18k?

colner
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Fri May 28, 2021 12:02 pm

I was thinking about this topic only yesterday strangely enough. As fans,we have little say in who are running the show,all we want to do is buy a ticket and watch 22 players kick a ball round the Turf. However,i know we are probably behind the times on some aspects of the club behind the scenes,i would hazard a guess that the average age of Turf Moor attendees is between 40/45 so to get bombarded with techy acronyms and such like is quite alien and intimidating to many,for example linking stuff in order to complete the SSO and the endless queries they must have had so i would hope that the suits in charge are aware and that it could put fans off

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri May 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 10:19 am
Was this the one where they wanted technical knowledge, work experience and a load of other skills and attributes, then offered a salary of about 18k?
It seemed like they were looking for a unicorn to be honest, somebody with knowledge of data analysis, various related software packages and also experience working in top level sport. From memory I'm not sure there was a salary attached, but from how it read I'd have expected it to have been a role paying north of £50k per year.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm

If they can deliver in the same manner that they talk, I will be impressed. The jury is out for me. Two challenges to provide an early indication of their true benefit to BFC

FIRSTLY -can they tie SD down to a new contract

SECONDLY-can we get some new players that will seriously add to the first team and please our fans (we used to be able to do this under Stan, Coyle and Eddie). I am not talking of huge outlays but being like most other PL clubs and exploiting the loan market, research who is OOC with other clubs so we can snap them up asap, and if we have any money spend it wisely by clever networking abroad (as WHU are currently doing), and focusing on both the Championship (as Villa have done) and fringe young players in the TOP six (as we did with Michael Keane. and as Derby did with Mount and Tomori 3 years ago.

None of these are Rocket Science
This user liked this post: k90bfc

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 1:00 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm
If they can deliver in the same manner that they talk, I will be impressed. The jury is out for me. Two challenges to provide an early indication of their true benefit to BFC

FIRSTLY -can they tie SD down to a new contract

SECONDLY-can we get some new players that will seriously add to the first team and please our fans (we used to be able to do this under Stan, Coyle and Eddie). I am not talking of huge outlays but being like most other PL clubs and exploiting the loan market, research who is OOC with other clubs so we can snap them up asap, and if we have any money spend it wisely by clever networking abroad (as WHU are currently doing), and focusing on both the Championship (as Villa have done) and fringe young players in the TOP six (as we did with Michael Keane. and as Derby did with Mount and Tomori 3 years ago.

None of these are Rocket Science
I don’t seem to recall the three managers referred to having much Premier League recruitment. Are you looking for us to sign players such as Eckersley, Edgar & Easton?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:42 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
If only I had a forelock to tug.Im ticking a few of the other boxes mind

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri May 28, 2021 1:58 pm

I'd imagine they'll struggle with the stronger, more broad Burnley accent for starters. I was brought up in Accrington and even I struggled to understand the broad Burnley accent for ages. Still struggle to understand the Burnley born and bred wife of my cousin to this day. I had a neighbour in Padiham who's accent was so broad I just nodded and smiled when he spoke to me. Couldn't understand a word he said.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Fri May 28, 2021 2:07 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 am
I remember in the first month or so after ALK completed their takeover seeing a job advert they put out for some sort of data analyst/scouting role and it was honestly night and day in terms of presentation compared to previous stuff I'd seen produced by the club.... Equally, I recall thinking that they'd be lucky to find many candidates with the skillset/experience they wanted in the local area.
I don’t think they’ll be limiting themselves to hiring staff only from the local area... They’ll be looking at making us into a forward-thinking, technology driven, industry-leading club at all levels; that will entail hiring the best people available no matter where they’re based.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri May 28, 2021 2:56 pm

If they come on here after a defeat, they might wonder why they were bothering. :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony GodIsADeeJay81 k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 2:57 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:56 pm
If they come on here after a defeat, they might wonder why they were bothering. :lol:
I'm told they take defeats harder than us.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1406 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri May 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:21 am
...he, at least, seems to like us...
I thought no one liked us? Though to be honest, there's a fair proportion that I'm not that keen on, I expect the feeling's mutual? :D

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:41 pm
I thought no one liked us? Though to be honest, there's a fair proportion that I'm not that keen on, I expect the feeling's mutual? :D
I don't think we've had time yet to make a judgement. OK, we didn't sign anyone in Jan, but according to Sean, that was as much down to him as the board.

Don't be so impatient. Rome wasn't built in a day. Come back in 12 months and tell me what you think when the board has had a chance to implement changes.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri May 28, 2021 3:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:57 pm
I'm told they take defeats harder than us.
given how much merit money was lost as a result of the last 3 defeats that is understandable, more so as it severely hampers the the budget surplus cash they would have wanted to make use of (and were possibly counting on to cover the additional costs they are generating) It is possible that the downturn in commercial revenue is greater than budgeted so even without the additional costs the financial year will be negative to budget forecast.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 3:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:49 pm
given how much merit money was lost as a result of the last 3 defeats that is understandable, more so as it severely hampers the the budget surplus cash they would have wanted to make use of (and were possibly counting on to cover the additional costs they are generating) It is possible that the downturn in commercial revenue is greater than budgeted so even without the additional costs the financial year will be negative to budget forecast.
It's nothing to do with finance, it's the American way of expecting to win.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 4:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:00 pm
I don’t seem to recall the three managers referred to having much Premier League recruitment. Are you looking for us to sign players such as Eckersley, Edgar & Easton?
Definitely not CT, and its easy for you to pick up a few bad examples BUT you failed to identify these:

COYLE-Steve Fletcher, Chris Eagles, David Nugent, David Edgar, Marin Patterson
STAN-Robbie Blake, Paul Cooke, Steve Davies (Mark 2), Cox, Thomas, Ian Wright, Ian Moore,Lee Briscoe, Mick Mellon and many more
EDDIE-Ben Mee, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings, Kieran Trippier, Stanislas, Jason Shackell

In my opinion at the time these were all shrewd moves and certainly more motivating for fans than the sum total of Brownhill and Stephens in the space of 18 months. I could also produce similar examples under Cotterill-McGreal, Sinclair, Cahill, Harley,Wade Elliott, Unsworth, Clarke Carlisle

AfloatinClaret

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri May 28, 2021 4:30 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 pm
... Come back in 12 months and tell me what you think when the board has had a chance to implement changes.
We're talking at cross purposes, it wasn't the club's Board I was referring to, it's some of the posters on this board that i don't like :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:17 pm
Definitely not CT, and its easy for you to pick up a few bad examples BUT you failed to identify these:

STAN-Robbie Blake, Paul Cooke, Steve Davies (Mark 2), Cox, Thomas, Ian Wright, Ian Moore,Lee Briscoe, Mick Mellon and many more
EDDIE-Ben Mee, Charlie Austin, Danny Ings, Kieran Trippier, Stanislas, Jason Shackell

In my opinion at the time these were all shrewd moves and certainly more motivating for fans than the sum total of Brownhill and Stephens in the space of 18 months. I could also produce similar examples under Cotterill-McGreal, Sinclair, Cahill, Harley,Wade Elliott, Unsworth, Clarke Carlisle
I had identified Edgar

Seems you haven't bothered to identify Heaton, Arfield, Kightly, Jones, Gray, Wood, Barnes, Barton, Tarkowski, Keane ...... do I need to go on?
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

AfloatinClaret

Post by AfloatinClaret » Fri May 28, 2021 4:40 pm

You just beat me to it CT, I was going to include Westwood, Taylor and also that Defour chap who didn't seem too shabby either.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:50 pm
It's nothing to do with finance, it's the American way of expecting to win.
If they are "expecting " to win, Burnley perhaps wasnt the ideal club for them 😉

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 5:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 pm
I had identified Edgar

Seems you haven't bothered to identify Heaton, Arfield, Kightly, Jones, Gray, Wood, Barnes, Barton, Tarkowski, Keane ...... do I need to go on?
You seem to have shot yourself in the foot a bit Tony. My point was we USED TO BE ABLE to pull off signings , and you mention some excellent ones. In now way would I dispute them, in fact they were exceptionally shrewd signings. However Heaton, Arfield, Jones-8 years ago. Barton & Gray- 6 years ago. Defour & Tarkowski -5 years ago. Wood and Westwood- 4 years ago. So what steller signings have we made in the last 3 and a half years that have wowed our fan base, which you would expect a PL side to be making just to stand still

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:47 pm
You seem to have shot yourself in the foot a bit Tony. My point was we USED TO BE ABLE to pull off signings , and you mention some excellent ones. In now way would I dispute them, in fact they were exceptionally shrewd signings. However Heaton, Arfield, Jones-8 years ago. Barton & Gray- 6 years ago. Defour & Tarkowski -5 years ago. Wood and Westwood- 4 years ago. So what steller signings have we made in the last 3 and a half years that have wowed our fan base, which you would expect a PL side to be making just to stand still
I should have given up on you the minute you trumpeted Coyle and Howe ahead of Dyche. I have now though.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Fri May 28, 2021 5:53 pm

If they watched any TV clips before making their £180 million buy out thenThey probably thought all we all live in cobbled streets of back to back terraced houses where it rains all the time and we only eat pies, chips, black pudding and tripe washed down with mugs of tea or pints of English ale served in tankards. Everyone wears flat caps and long overcoats even in summer and works in’t mill or t’pit. And on match days as jolly fans we all shout ‘Play Up BUrnley’ when we’re 5-0 down to Citeh at home.
They’ve a lot to learn about us.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri May 28, 2021 5:59 pm

Referring back to the question posed by the OP, let’s not forget that our owners as well as living a lot in New York have also spent a lot of time in Utah. What some may call backward, others may call traditional and conservative. Last time I was in Utah I went to some towns and it was like the 19th century, but in a pleasant way, a bit like a mountainous cowboy version of Sark.

I certainly don’t think living in the Ribble Valley they will look at us as simpletons, far from it. The North West of England has some of the world’s top talent living in it, as does many areas in the UK.

I am guessing they want to move the club forward and make money, but retaining some traditional values, and I would like to think they see the fanbase, via the fans survey, as wanting similar.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri May 28, 2021 6:04 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:30 pm
We're talking at cross purposes, it wasn't the club's Board I was referring to, it's some of the posters on this board that i don't like :D
Fair enough, but you didn't exactly make that clear. After all, the thread is about the board, not other posters on here.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Whingers :o

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 6:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm
I should have given up on you the minute you trumpeted Coyle and Howe ahead of Dyche. I have now though.
My initial post was not aimed at Dyche, or comparing him to the other three managers, and you will see I hoped that his contract will be absolute No 1 priority for the new owners. My point was that we need to rediscover the art of making signings, for whatever went wrong in the Dyche/Garlick relationship of the last few years, and that becomes the second priority of the new owners. Based on the last three and a half so years our record of getting people who can improve the first team has not been good -you must surely accept this-Hart, Stephens, Gibson.OK Brownhill as well, but at least he is a tryer and making a regular contribution to the first team, and hopefully someone who continues to improve

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:22 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:47 pm
You're missing/ignoring the fact that our transfer strategy has been succesful to the point that we are in the PL again next season without wowing fans on an annual basis with transfers.

Westwood most certainly didn't wow fans when his signing was announced, he was regularly battered on social media.
Tarks didn't wow anyone either initially.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 6:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:22 pm
You're missing/ignoring the fact that our transfer strategy has been succesful to the point that we are in the PL again next season without wowing fans on an annual basis with transfers.

Westwood most certainly didn't wow fans when his signing was announced, he was regularly battered on social media.
But Edgar did apparently. 😀😀😀😀
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 6:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:22 pm

That to me is like saying I have an ageing executive car, which I and the family use regularly, but I have made the right decision not to spend any money on its servicing and maintenance during the last 3-4 years, as it is still running today. Theres every chance something will go wrong technically soon if that resistance to servicing continues. Are you proposing that we have another year of not strenghtening the first team, as this policy has worked so well

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 6:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:30 pm
But Edgar did apparently. 😀😀😀😀
I have to admit at the time I was excited by his signing. A young defender who was being hailed by people such as Shearer as a very up and coming defender at Newcastle. He went on to play over a 100 times for us and scored 4 goals

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 28, 2021 6:40 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:35 pm
I have to admit at the time I was excited by his signing. A young defender who was being hailed by people such as Shearer as a very up and coming defender at Newcastle. He went on to play over a 100 times for us and scored 4 goals
He did play over 100 times but when you had managers who played him ahead of Duff it’s no surprise. Even the manager who signed him didn’t give him a game. Not sure how you could be excited about the signing of a player with extremely limited first team experience.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:49 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:30 pm
That to me is like saying I have an ageing executive car, which I and the family use regularly, but I have made the right decision not to spend any money on its servicing and maintenance during the last 3-4 years, as it is still running today. Theres every chance something will go wrong technically soon if that resistance to servicing continues. Are you proposing that we have another year of not strenghtening the first team, as this policy has worked so well
We need signings, I'm not arguing against that, but they don't need to be signed just to WoW the fans because that's an idiotic transfer policy..
Just pointing out its worked
Our policy works well, just needs to be more frequent :lol:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:17 pm

Were any of these signed by us as a PL club (Possibly Fletcher and Nugent)?
but it's harder to get decent loans as a PL club, and transfer targets are probably expecting much better contracts.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Fair comment .Personally I am easily wowed-if a signing looks promising. I know how I felt after the resigning of Blake, and the signings of Chris Eagles, David Nugent, Ian Wright, Jack Cork, Andy Gray, and many more. I get quite excited by the prospect of new players joining us. Even Gibson to me at the time was a significant signing, with significant pedigree. Just a shame it turned out the way it did-and no one can be held to blame for this one going pear-shaped. Like you I am looking forward to some new blood, to build on the foundations that we already have
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 k90bfc

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4834 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri May 28, 2021 8:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:00 pm
You’ve just spoilt my tea, Tony!

Easton....noooooooooo!
This user liked this post: ClaretTony