Abramovich sanctioned by UK

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Abramovich sanctioned by UK

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:49 pm

If you listen hard enough, you can hear the wind whistling though the Cricket Field Stand, and I'm sure its laughing.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:00 pm

The ending of foreign ownership of Football clubs should be an aim.

There will be fans of Man City and Newcastle (effectively state sponsored) who will be revelling in Chelsea’s woes turning “blind eyes” at human rights abuses in those countries.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:03 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:32 am
The majority of these "diamond geezers" are no different to the people on here where watching their football club is a big part of their life and for some it probably plays a large factor in managing their mental health and wellbeing. Abramovich is the problem not the normal football fan and I find it really sad that people are so quick to laugh at other peoples problems.

I hope if you face difficulties in your life that the people around you give you support and dont just laugh and mock you
When you made this post did you stop to think, just for one second , whether or not those Chelsea fans , by singing Abramovich's name weren't mocking and effectively ridiculing the desperate plight of men , women , children and literally babes in arms, fleeing for their lives? Arent they people , as you put it , " facing difficulties " in life. Because they don't get much more "difficult" than fleeing war.
Those fans knew exactly what they were doing. They demonstrated total disrespect and a complete lack of empathy.

No you didn't. But if it gets you a response that you so crave ( and yes I'm guilty of pandering to it ) then you'll see that as job done eh!
These 7 users liked this post: Claretincraven bfcjg Gibbo fidelcastro Boss Hogg Juan Tanamera mybloodisclaret

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:10 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:39 pm
Lots of Burnley fans have sung some terrible stuff about people including their death and Im sure the Chelsea fans have had a lot of goading (you just had to look at some of the threads on here) by other fans and this tribal mentality on both sides is a bit sad when it plummets into subjects as important as what is happening in the Ukraine.

A group of Chelsea fans singing Abramovich's name (likely in response to equally tasteless chants from opposition fans) does not make me want to laugh at the many true football fans and want to see them suffer and not able to follow and support one of the things they love the most in life.

If you want to laugh at them then fair enough but I really don't get this kind of attitude and for me its a reflection of the general sad state of our society
While I partially agree, I would argue our society is diminished by the fact that our authorities allow someone like Abramovich to own community assets and people are prepared to support him doing so and even chant his name.

The people of Ukraine have tanks surrounding their cities because of people like him whatever we say, or Chelsea fan's feel, is as nothing compared to their suffering at this moment in time..!
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:10 pm

Tough day for jakub when he finds himself in agreement with DA the resident attention seeking troll
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6913 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Looks like the government have Ukrained on Chelsea's parade.
These 3 users liked this post: jackmiggins tiger76 IanMcL

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:39 pm

Can't believe nobody has asked this ......... Will you still be able to buy a pie at half time ?
This user liked this post: IanMcL

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Assuming that Chelsea have been fully funded using dubious money, will there be a case to expunge their results from the date of ownership dependent on court decisions? Otherwise the Premier could possibly be complicit?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1186 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:46 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:10 pm
Tough day for jakub when he finds himself in agreement with DA the resident attention seeking troll
RA is nothing to do with the war the only thing he’s got in common is that he’s Russian are we saying all Russian citizens are responsible for putins actions.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:46 pm
RA is nothing to do with the war the only thing he’s got in common is that he’s Russian are we saying all Russian citizens are responsible for putins actions.
Other than prviding the steel for Russian tanks et al.........

At least try to pretend you've cast a sideways glance at some form of research.....
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL longsidepies

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1186 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:53 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:49 pm
Other than prviding the steel for Russian tanks et al.........

At least try to pretend you've cast a sideways glance at some form of research.....
This was prior to the invasion in a business sense is he supposed to be dormant retrospectively in case a war happens later down the line.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:53 pm

"Chelsea fans have assembled at Stamford Bridge"

Not sure on the title of the next Marvel film...

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:56 pm

Suggestions are that Government will allow the sale and talks with prospective buyers are continuing. As long as zero proceeds of the sale go to Abramovich.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:53 pm
This was prior to the invasion in a business sense is he supposed to be dormant retrospectively in case a war happens later down the line.
If you assist in building tanks at sub-market prices for steel, then when they are used in an invasion of Ukraine, it is justified that you be sanctioned, yes
This user liked this post: jackmiggins

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:56 pm
Suggestions are that Government will allow the sale and talks with prospective buyers are continuing. As long as zero proceeds of the sale go to Abramovich.
Where would the proceeds go then? The treasury? And who would negotiate the sale?

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Ive got to say if it was Burnley that were owned by RA I would want us to, not be allowed to full fill our season and be relegated.
I was and worried about the foreign investment in our club and that Mr Pace seamed the best of a possible few others with dubious connections. If I found out that he supported and was one of Putins cohorts, then I would demand he left our club and would accept that any punishment was due to the seller of the club previously and the FA in allowing such sales with out due dilliegence perhaps going forward clubs will be more careful and only deal with people that can prove they are worthy.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:37 am
2013 and very relevant today

https://twitter.com/matthewsyed/status/ ... 9220152322
Excellent post

it is still amazes me just how many "football fans" remain oblivious to these issues, including the sheer number that really do not care, all they want is their team to be better than all the others, for me better is more than just what appears on the pitch

We had that in spades, growing sustainably, fighting against the tide of billionaires and states rocking up at city clubs, chucking hundreds of millions at them and deliberately setting about to demolish the business models of the self sufficient by setting new inflated norms for transfer fees and wages - and what did we get? fans that wanted us to be more like them than rather than fans that sought to change the system - though that feels futile when FIFA and UEFA are the prime supporting protagonists

Meanwhile you have the ultimate owners (and yes I know they claim to have proved otherwise) of Manchester City and Newcastle United refusing to talk to the United States President about bringing sown the market price of crude and gas to offset dependence on the Russians. Still their fans think their ownerships are wonderful. - for those who do not believe any of this is connected there is a near 8000 post thread on this page which shows repeatedly that they are.
These 11 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe RicardoMontalban tiger76 GaryClaret Buxtonclaret IanMcL Paul Waine longsidepies CoolClaret Boss Hogg Goodclaret

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:22 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:05 am
After the Chelsea fans singing his name during the minutes applause for Ukraine at the weekend, this is f****** fantastic news.
Agree to an extent. It wasn’t an insignificant number either I guess.

But then I do think back to some of our fans behaviours… certain songs at Ewood in the early 2000’s … and the plane at the Etihad.

Happy that those who sang Roman’s name will be worried about the future of the club… but do have some sympathy for the genuine decent Chelsea fans (I’m sure they do exist 😅)

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1657 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:50 am
Is that right that they won’t have Chelsea fans at away games?

I thought it was no away fans at Stamford Bridge.

Ticket sales for their away games go to the home club so, nothing goes to Chelsea so I don’t see why that would be the case
The sales are conducted by Chelsea though so it would have to sit in Chelsea’s accounts, at best as an “in and out” transaction that doesn’t benefit them. I’d be surprised if they were able to do it under the terms of the license.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5211 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:03 pm
When you made this post did you stop to think, just for one second , whether or not those Chelsea fans , by singing Abramovich's name weren't mocking and effectively ridiculing the desperate plight of men , women , children and literally babes in arms, fleeing for their lives? Arent they people , as you put it , " facing difficulties " in life. Because they don't get much more "difficult" than fleeing war.
Those fans knew exactly what they were doing. They demonstrated total disrespect and a complete lack of empathy.

No you didn't. But if it gets you a response that you so crave ( and yes I'm guilty of pandering to it ) then you'll see that as job done eh!
Not defending any of the morons that were singing about Abramovich just like I didn't defend the Burnely morons who organised the plane at Man City. I don't take any pleasure in any misery caused to the genuine Chelsea fans who are likely embarrassed by their clubs link to Russia and equally disgusted about what is happening.

If you and others want to use something horrendous as what is happening in the Ukraine to attack people who have nothing to do with it then thats your right to do so but as said I find it very sad.

In other news dont ever change
RingoMcCartney wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 am
MOD: Personal, abusive post unacceptable and removed.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:28 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:10 pm
While I partially agree, I would argue our society is diminished by the fact that our authorities allow someone like Abramovich to own community assets and people are prepared to support him doing so and even chant his name.

The people of Ukraine have tanks surrounding their cities because of people like him whatever we say, or Chelsea fan's feel, is as nothing compared to their suffering at this moment in time..!
Be angry at the government for allowing Russian money to fill up our country, not some old guy who's been supporting Chelsea all his life and has nothing to do with Abramovich or Putin and who feels equally horrified about the war in Ukraine as we both do

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:34 pm

The fans have benefitted from his ill-gotten gains this last 20 or so years, i think they can stomach a little famine after all that feast
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:41 pm

It will be very interesting to find out how many of our 'hierarchy' have Russian investment? Strongly suspect this is significant in our 'back foot' reactions to the whole situation!!!

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Lots of Burnley fans have sung some terrible stuff about people including their death and Im sure the Chelsea fans have had a lot of goading (you just had to look at some of the threads on here) by other fans and this tribal mentality on both sides is a bit sad when it plummets into subjects as important as what is happening in the Ukraine.

A group of Chelsea fans singing Abramovich's name (likely in response to equally tasteless chants from opposition fans) does not make me want to laugh at the many true football fans and want to see them suffer and not able to follow and support one of the things they love the most in life.

If you want to laugh at them then fair enough but I really don't get this kind of attitude and for me its a reflection of the general sad state of our society
This schadenfreude is part of being a football fan for many.

Chelsea fans have to take the rough with the smooth. They weren't complaining when those ill-gotten gains were buying them trophies. On the radio earlier I listened to a Chelsea fan from one of their supporters groups basically saying that Abramovich had done nothing wrong and he loves the club and other fans are jealous of him and there seem to be plenty like him out there. It's difficult to feel sympathy for them.
These 6 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe tiger76 Stalbansclaret longsidepies fidelcastro Goodclaret

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:46 pm

As I say, the only moral stance would be to expunge their results.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Let's hope the same happens to Newcastle and Man City in future with regards to their dubious ownerships.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

Not often I agree with Ringo, but he’s spot on with the above.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 pm

Abramovich needs to specify exactly where the proceeds of the sale of the club will go. To say they will go to those affected by the war in Ukraine can mean anything. Families of Russian soldiers ? Businesses closed as a result of sanctions?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:43 pm
This schadenfreude is part of being a football fan for many.

Chelsea fans have to take the rough with the smooth. They weren't complaining when those ill-gotten gains were buying them trophies. On the radio earlier I listened to a Chelsea fan from one of their supporters groups basically saying that Abramovich had done nothing wrong and he loves the club and other fans are jealous of him and there seem to be plenty like him out there. It's difficult to feel sympathy for them.
Agree. I mean, their much loved captain John Terry posted on social media last week a picture with Abramovich with a caption ‘THE BEST’.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe longsidepies

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5665 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:47 pm

If you were Man United you'd be going after Tuchel pronto
This user liked this post: IanMcL

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:01 pm

You have to wonder how much money chelsea have in the bank.
They're loss making as it is and without the ability to raise funds via player sales, reduced matchday revenue etc someone should be asking if they've got enough money to finish the season.
FH604r0WYBo-vfj.jpeg
FH604r0WYBo-vfj.jpeg (431.85 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6913 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:04 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:26 pm
Agree. I mean, their much loved captain John Terry posted on social media last week a picture with Abramovich with a caption ‘THE BEST’.
Should be THE BEAST.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:17 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Where would the proceeds go then? The treasury? And who would negotiate the sale?
Ideally Ukraine for rebuilding

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:17 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6391 times
Has Liked: 8749 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:30 pm

No pies.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:38 pm

Will the government be sanctioning itself for taking Russian money ?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:46 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:21 pm
Not often I agree with Ringo, but he’s spot on with the above.
Cheers fella 👍

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5665 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:55 pm

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-10 8.54.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-10 8.54.06 AM.png (51.44 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3195 times
Has Liked: 1875 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:21 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:55 pm
They’ll be playing in shirts turned inside out tonight then

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:23 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:21 pm
They’ll be playing in shirts turned inside out tonight then
...or skins...

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm
Excellent post

it is still amazes me just how many "football fans" remain oblivious to these issues, including the sheer number that really do not care, all they want is their team to be better than all the others, for me better is more than just what appears on the pitch

We had that in spades, growing sustainably, fighting against the tide of billionaires and states rocking up at city clubs, chucking hundreds of millions at them and deliberately setting about to demolish the business models of the self sufficient by setting new inflated norms for transfer fees and wages - and what did we get? fans that wanted us to be more like them than rather than fans that sought to change the system - though that feels futile when FIFA and UEFA are the prime supporting protagonists

Meanwhile you have the ultimate owners (and yes I know they claim to have proved otherwise) of Manchester City and Newcastle United refusing to talk to the United States President about bringing sown the market price of crude and gas to offset dependence on the Russians. Still their fans think their ownerships are wonderful. - for those who do not believe any of this is connected there is a near 8000 post thread on this page which shows repeatedly that they are.
Putin's People is a "good read."

I've heard others argue that Abramovich bought Chelsea as part of Putin's strategy, infiltrate and weaken the west, using sport as "soft power" and influence. This is a little different from as Syed argues as protection from Putin taking away Abramovich's ill-gotten gains from Yeltsin's privatisation years.

Back when Abramovich bought Chelsea I'd often make the comment that Chelsea fans should be submitting "money laundering" suspicious transaction reports at 3pm every Saturday afternoon. OK, yes, we've all got used to the idea that the Premier League was a game for billionaires.

A little confession of self-interest: Chelsea Community Foundation have been running the best walking football set-up across a broad area of south and west London and suburbs. I've enjoyed joining their games. Be interesting to see if the charity can continue. I'd be surprised if the £5 a game covers all their costs.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:

I take it you weren’t there Saturday mate, will definitely have to agree to disagree on this one even if I do understand where you are coming from to an extent

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:41 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Excellent post

I know what’s happening here cannot even be compared with a lot of things that have happened within football but you are so right that fans are oblivious to issues or just don’t care whatever those issues are as long as their team is winning.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:48 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 pm
I take it you weren’t there Saturday mate, will definitely have to agree to disagree on this one even if I do understand where you are coming from to an extent
No problem with people disagreeing but I take no joy is decent football fans getting caught up in something that is outside their control and potentially losing something very important in their life.

I have no sympathy for the morons and if it results in Chelsea struggling and ending up being down with us or lower then all the better(noone deserves to be have a top team) but if because of this (and especially after Covid) good honest football fans aren't able to meet their friends and watch their team then they genuinely have my sympathy.

Im sure if you met a group of normal Chelsea fans no different to me an you who were suffering because they were unable to watch their team there is no way I think you would laugh at them and have the attitude of it serves you right. I think you would have sympathy for them like me.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:06 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Excellent post

Brilliant post CP - I agree whole heartedly with this.

Sickening some of the sentiments of Chelsea ‘fans’ (from 2004 onwards) worldwide in their seeming unanimous support of Abramovich.

F them

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:27 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

Very well said, Ringo!

Perhaps it's not true what the majority on here say about you after all! ;)

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:48 pm

If that prick Tim Lovejoy is upset by any of this, then that’ll do for me.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:07 pm

That’s pretty much the most idealistic view of Chelsea fans I’ve ever read DA. Those poor little everyday fans who were true football supporters.
As others have said they cared nothing for football but flocked to support a business model that provided them with 1.5 Billion in loans and sought to make clubs like ours unsustainable.
All they wanted was glory. I’m sure you can’t provide me one bit of proof that those poor little fans were bothered about clubs like ours and football as some sort of medication for mental health issues of normal fans (your suggestion). They were happy to see us disappear in their blind greed.
There was no voice of sympathy for the rest of football or clubs like ours from those fictional fans so it’s very difficult to feel sympathetic for them and you are pedalling guff as boringly usual.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:16 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:17 pm
I hope that is where it will hopefully end up. I was thinking more immediately; who would be selling the club and who would the buyer pay for it?