MISSION TO RELEGATION.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Re: MISSION TO RELEGATION.

Post by Westleigh » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:38 pm
You replied to a post I made to Newcastleclaret by saying you’re only as good as your last game, which read like you were in agreement with his point.
Bit of a tongue in cheek comment ,slightly misinterpreted,my point was Cooper had a tad more experience.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18289 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:46 pm

Got to hand it to the OP he has created a
🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 thread here 🤣

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:44 pm
Bit of a tongue in cheek comment ,slightly misinterpreted,my point was Cooper had a tad more experience.
Apologies for the misunderstanding.
This user liked this post: Westleigh

DingleDangle
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by DingleDangle » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:04 pm
He’s an excellent manager based on this season also.

He’s got a poor squad into a position where they would stay up. Unfortunately it appears that isn’t enough for there owners.
So, he's an excellent manager in your eyes. You acknowledge that he's had two good previous seasons, but that's irrelevant.....but still relevant enough for you to mention it.....as an outsider. Yet, he's got a poor squad into a reasonable position. A squad that he's more or less assembled.

However, you say he'd be better than VK, even though he'd have to work with those very same players VK has bought (and maybe with one or two of his own additions, depending on funds). What makes Steve Cooper better than VK?

Would we survive or be relegated with Steve Cooper in charge on that basis?

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:55 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:29 pm
You obviously weren't around at the time of the Orient game! Perhaps a good job too!
Do you know what Pete, those times were sh!t but in a strange way I enjoyed them and look back on them with fondness!
I know, I probably should have sought help at the time!
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure longsidepies

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:03 pm

DingleDangle wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 pm
So, he's an excellent manager in your eyes. You acknowledge that he's had two good previous seasons, but that's irrelevant.....but still relevant enough for you to mention it.....as an outsider. Yet, he's got a poor squad into a reasonable position. A squad that he's more or less assembled.

However, you say he'd be better than VK, even though he'd have to work with those very same players VK has bought (and maybe with one or two of his own additions, depending on funds). What makes Steve Cooper better than VK?

I think based on this season it’s safe to say we stand more of a chance of survival with cooper IMO.

You haven’t answered my question about Brian Laws?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:04 pm

DingleDangle wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 pm

We would probably still go down as Cooper probably wouldn’t know where to start with all those nothing type players Vincent has packed the squad with.
I like Cooper, he is someone the fans can get on board with as Forest fans have demonstrated in their last few games but he wouldn’t get a tune out of this lot.
This user liked this post: DingleDangle

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:03 pm
I think based on this season it’s safe to say we stand more of a chance of survival with cooper IMO.

Brian laws didn’t win 100+ points in the Championship, you’re also forgetting VK is like 37 years old, there’s players older than him, he’s learning on the job and obviously going to make mistakes, the hope is he learns, adapts and improves with us. That takes time and ups and downs.
This user liked this post: DingleDangle

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

By your logic, Dyche would have been potted at the end of (or perhaps before the end of) his first season in the Premier League.

I dread to think where we might have been, had such a step been taken.

Kompany has to be given time, even if it means a relegation. This is his squad that he is building and whilst relegation isn’t what any of us want, it might be a necessary step.

There’s plenty that we can improve on - there’s no getting away from the fact that we look a poor side and that the summer recruitment was naive at best.

Now, assuming we are relegated, and come this time next year we don’t look like mounting a serious promotion challenge, that’s perhaps when serious questions need to be asked.

For now, we have to hope that Kompany and the squad and the recruitment team are learning lessons (and that the board are willing to stick to their plan).
These 3 users liked this post: DingleDangle Holtyclaret Bosscat

DingleDangle

Post by DingleDangle » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:05 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

I appreciate it's your opinion. However, you didn't answer my question. What makes Steve Cooper better than VK?

Apologies, as I had to look back at where you mentioned Brian Laws. Ok, are we basing it on just this season alone or are we saying that BL won the Championship last season, like VK did. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a fair comparison?

DingleDangle

Post by DingleDangle » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:04 pm
We would probably still go down as Cooper probably wouldn’t know where to start with all those nothing type players Vincent has packed the squad with.
I like Cooper, he is someone the fans can get on board with as Forest fans have demonstrated in their last few games but he wouldn’t get a tune out of this lot.
Wasn't supposed to 'like' again 🫤

So, Cooper would be no better than VK in your eyes? They are not 'nothing' type players as you well know.

What works at one club with a manager, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work at another club.

DingleDangle

Post by DingleDangle » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:38 am

Also Newcastleclaret, out of curiosity, why did you choose Brian Laws when he's been out of a job for quite a long time?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 am

Westleigh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:15 pm
Really can’t understand some of you that slag the poster off ,he’s letting off steam,he’s been a Burnley fan since the 1950’s ,why would you say he’s having a little tantrum ,I reckon he’s paid he’s dues he should be able to criticise and compare this team to teams some of you have never been able to watch ,give the guy a break.
How many of those teams have you watched, seeing that you only started posting on here LAST MONTH

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:41 am

Westleigh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:26 pm
So why make a comment about the Op’s age? obviously trying to demean his post.
Tbf, and I don’t often defend Nori, but regardless of the content of the OP if my 10 year old boy had written that I would be very disappointed with the punctuation and capitalisation. Not that it would bother me on here but I can kind of understand why someone would think it was written by a young person having a rant.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 am
How many of those teams have you watched, seeing that you only started posting on here LAST MONTH
Poor old Nori I bet you couldn’t wait to get up and have another dig,far better things to do than argue with someone like you,obviously you haven’t learnt from last night ,still time to apologise to the Op,post whatever you want as I won’t be answering anymore of your stupid comments on this post .

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:54 am

DCWat wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:47 pm
By your logic, Dyche would have been potted at the end of (or perhaps before the end of) his first season in the Premier League.

Kompany has to be given time, even if it means a relegation. This is his squad that he is building and whilst relegation isn’t what any of us want, it might be a necessary step.

There’s plenty that we can improve on - there’s no getting away from the fact that we look a poor side and that the summer recruitment was naive at best.

Now, assuming we are relegated, and come this time next year we don’t look like mounting a serious promotion challenge, that’s perhaps when serious questions need to be asked.

For now, we have to hope that Kompany and the squad and the recruitment team are learning lessons (and that the board are willing to stick to their plan).
At last a common sense post. It baffles me that, assuming these posters actually go to see us, some people will spend their money watching something they evidently have zero clue about.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:54 am

What an embarrassing read this is

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:06 am

Westleigh wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 am
Poor old Nori I bet you couldn’t wait to get up and have another dig,far better things to do than argue with someone like you,obviously you haven’t learnt from last night ,still time to apologise to the Op,post whatever you want as I won’t be answering anymore of your stupid comments on this post .
That's a great start to the day, hopefully you keep to your promise

Benson
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Benson » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:18 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 am
He’s had a few different usernames, the one prior to this was Carwin61

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Post by bumba » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:37 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 pm
Brian laws didn’t win 100+ points in the Championship, you’re also forgetting VK is like 37 years old, there’s players older than him, he’s learning on the job and obviously going to make mistakes, the hope is he learns, adapts and improves with us. That takes time and ups and downs.
If this season was Dyche after the 23 undefeated and he'd spent £100 million, changed style, changed systems, rebuilt the squad, lost 13 in 17, playing boring awful football, conceded loads, not scoring goals, persisting with it all and out of form players I know exactly what you would be on this message board saying.

But because our managers name is Vincent Kompany a legend of the game we have to cut him slack. Giving them time is great if they are showing signs of learning, VK clearly isn't

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 306 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:42 am

DCWat wrote:

I agree with the above comments. It’s very disappointing to see us in this position. In my opinion we are always up against the odds when you consider that clubs like Man United and Chelsea are not having things their own way despite a virtually unlimited budget available for the last 20 years.

We had not spent much for a number of years and Dyche’s squad was generally older than most other Prem League clubs which resulted in our last relegation. Some of the older players left the club in 2022 but we still have a number of over 30’s who struggle with the pace of PL football. We do seem to have gone OTT with a swaythe of youngsters in our squad. It will take time to adjust and it’s unrealistic to expect them to all hit the ground running in this league where the standard seems to improve each season. Last season many people slagged off Foster who didn’t seem to settle and yet he came back playing with strong performances in a higher league. Let’s hope a few of the others in time can build up their strength and experience under VK.

People keep quoting the so called £100m spend. Some of that total is presumably based upon future performance and achievements. Most transfers are funded over a few years so beating the club and manager with this stick is not totally justified. Even £100m is small change to some of the clubs we are playing against every week or so. We’ve had a number of years of ‘squad filling’ with players such as Stephens, Lennon, Pieters, Bardsley and such like. Whilst they added to numbers the current board are obviously taking a different view but it must be judged over a good number of years (I would say).

Not good at the moment and obviously some mistakes have been made. Let’s hope that this time next year we are all in a better mood and feeling optimistic again.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:54 am
What an embarrassing read this is
One of the most embarrassing we've had, and that's saying something given that this place is now like Groundhog Day - with thread after thread all saying the same thing, along with the usual trolls, who don't do anything else with their lives apart from spamming the life out of the place for 18 hours a day.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 pm
It doesn’t matter how old VK is. We need results now not in 5 years.

The facts are VK and Brian laws have a similar return in this league (if we lose at the weekend Brian Laws will have a better return).

Can you honestly tell me if our manager was currently Brian laws you would stick by him?

Mixedkompany
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Mixedkompany » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:06 am

The next three games are very tough. Fulham and Villa away. Liverpool at home.
Can anyone see any points from those games?
That will be 20 PL games played. Based on current stats we are looking at a total points tally of 18 points for the season. If we obtain no points from the next three games the stat drops to 15 points for the season.
The transfer window opens early Jan.
If there is to be a managerial change the likelihood is early Jan. If not.I suspect the board will stick with VK for the season and beyond.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am

DingleDangle wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:05 am
I appreciate it's your opinion. However, you didn't answer my question. What makes Steve Cooper better than VK?

Apologies, as I had to look back at where you mentioned Brian Laws. Ok, are we basing it on just this season alone or are we saying that BL won the Championship last season, like VK did. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a fair comparison?
It’s a very fair comparison two managers that have had a similar amount of games in this league? (I guess you could argue VK has got spend considerably more than Laws did and had longer with the squad).

Just answer the question, would you stick with Laws?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am
It’s a very fair comparison two managers that have had a similar amount of games in this league? (I guess you could argue VK has got spend considerably more than Laws did and had longer with the squad).

Would you have sacked Dyche during our first season with him in the Premier League?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am

Laws hadn't just had a successful season with us... Had he had the same previous record here as Kompany yes I'd stick with him

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:12 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am
Would you have sacked Dyche during our first season with him in the Premier League?
Completely different scenario, not even remotely comparable.

Even if we were to do a direct comparison, Dyche had nothing to spend. He was also exceptionally close to staying up that season. At no point This season have we looked anything other than cannon fodder. With Dyche you at least knew we stood a chance, VK is a walking relegation

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:13 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:09 am
Dyche finished the season with 33 points and built a state of the art training ground with the funds.

We're probalby gonna be on 8, 11 points max by mid January

It isn't remotely similar - like at all.

We'd have been better refurbing the Bob Lord/Cricket Field end than signing half the shite we have done; oh but that won't see a potential short-medium term return so count ALK out.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:15 am

DCWat wrote:

Now this won't do. The last thing we need on here is a rational, no-nonsense, common sense post.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:15 am
Now this won't do. The last thing we need on here is a rational, no-nonsense, common sense post.
The irony is Clovious outside of the Burnley rose tinted glasses, we are the ones speaking with common sense.

Go try find a different clubs supporter (apart from Blackburn) that thinks we should keep VK.

Nearly everyone I speak to takes the **** out of the fact we still have him.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:24 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 am
The irony is Clovious outside of the Burnley rose tinted glasses, we are the ones speaking with common sense.

Go try find a different clubs supporter (apart from Blackburn) that thinks we should keep VK.

You must speak to some very strange people, who know nothing about this club.
Most people I speak to, and not just in this country think we should stick with the manager

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:26 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:24 am
You must speak to some very strange people, who know nothing about this club.
Most people I speak to, and not just in this country think we should stick with the manager
Must a different era thing then perhaps? Now the pundits are

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:26 am

You can imagine the conversation between the board members.

Think we should get rid of Kompany, there are a few on the internet who don't go to our games or contribute anything to the club and are unhappy with how other fans view him still having a job here, we need to keep these guys happy.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:28 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:26 am

Think we should get rid of Kompany, there are a few on the internet who don't go to our games or contribute anything to the club and are unhappy with how other fans view him still having a job here, we need to keep these guys happy.
I suspect the board members are probably going, holy hell we have ****** millions away on this manager and we can’t even compete.

Perhaps a change would make us competitive at this level.

Do fans seriously think the board members won’t be discussing VKs future?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:30 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:26 am

I'd prefer they're discussing getting in some people with actual experience in English football ASAP throughout the club, instead of hitching the wagon to one (very underperforming) bloke who's made a royal b0llocks up of the transfer window and game to game tactics.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:30 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:12 am
Completely different scenario, not even remotely comparable.

Even if we were to do a direct comparison, Dyche had nothing to spend. He was also exceptionally close to staying up that season. At no point This season have we looked anything other than cannon fodder. With Dyche you at least knew we stood a chance, VK is a walking relegation
It’s entirely comparable when you consider that it was Dyche’s first season in the Premier League, just as this is Kompany’s.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:31 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:28 am
I suspect the board members are probably going, holy hell we have ****** millions away on this manager and we can’t even compete.

Perhaps a change would make us competitive at this level.

Do fans seriously think the board members won’t be discussing VKs future?

There will always be discussions at every club, but you can guarantee no clubs makes a decision hoping to keep people who contribute nothing to the club happy.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:32 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:30 am
It’s entirely comparable when you consider that it was Dyche’s first season in the Premier League, just as this is Kompany’s.
Ok, even then it’s not a comparable situation Dyche got 33 points.

VKs on for around 16

Dyche got more than twice the amount of points. What’s your point

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:31 am
There will always be discussions at every club, but you can guarantee no clubs makes a decision hoping to keep people who contribute nothing to the club happy.
Yes I’m sure that everyone who complains about a poor season contributes nothing 🤯🤯🤯

Haha typical happy clapper reply

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:32 am
Ok, even then it’s not a comparable situation Dyche got 33 points.

VKs on for around 16

Dyche got more than twice the amount of points. What’s your point
So if we had more points but still went down you would be fine with him keeping his job ?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2759 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:34 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:31 am
Are you suggesting fans contribute nothing ?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:34 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am
Yes I’m sure that everyone who complains about a poor season contributes nothing 🤯🤯🤯

Haha typical happy clapper reply

Do you know how old you sound when you use the moronic happy clapper comment. Just because someone doesn't spend his entire existence crying on a forum about the manager or who plays in goal it doesn't make them a happy clapper, maybe it makes them adult who knows

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 am

Best post of the thread. A guy who spends most of his waking hours on here is claiming to have a wide social circle with actual real people.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:34 am
Are you suggesting fans contribute nothing ?
Those who don't go games, who watch illegal streams and constantly moan about everything ? Yup I would class them as contributing nothing

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am
So if we had more points but still went down you would be fine with him keeping his job ?
I would be fine, if VK starts to make us competitive as at least there’s something to work towards.

At the moment I don’t see any point in keeping him because even if we do get promoted next season, we know for a fact he’s not good enough for this level. This ultimately where the club need to be. That is also part of the reason I can’t understand why so many are happy to jus through this chance we have away.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:36 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am
Best post of the thread. A guy who spends most of his waking hours on here is claiming to have a wide social circle with actual real people.
Haha now the insults come out. Classic uptheclarets. The bullying will be along soon.

Come on mods post like this are how it starts.
Last edited by Newcastleclaret93 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:37 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 am
I would be fine, if VK starts to make us competitive as at least there’s something to work towards.

At the moment I don’t see any point in keeping him because even if we do get promoted next season, we know for a fact he’s not good enough for this level. This ultimately where the club need to be. That is also part of the reason I can’t understand why so many are happy to jus through this chance we have away.
So your logic is if he gets us relegated we then know he isn't good enough for this division ?

Does that apply to all managers who have been relegated from this division ?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:37 am

DingleDangle wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:12 am
Wasn't supposed to 'like' again 🫤

So, Cooper would be no better than VK in your eyes? They are not 'nothing' type players as you well know.

What works at one club with a manager, doesn't necessarily mean it'll work at another club.
Ha ha you pressed the wrong tab! I’m sure there is a facility to un like though.

In my opinion they are ‘nothing’ type players. Fairly skilful yes, but nowhere near the standard. And would you want them in the trenches with you? Doubtful.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:39 am

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:37 am
So your logic is if he gets us relegated we then know he isn't good enough for this division ?

Does that apply to all managers who have been relegated from this division ?
No my logic is clear, a manager that gets relegated without a whimper. You know finishing a season on around the 16 point mark.

That is a manager who doesn’t know how to manage at this level.

If VK were to finish around the 32-34 point mark at least we know we nearly avoided relegation