25 points from winning positions

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 625 times
Has Liked: 184 times

25 points from winning positions

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:59 am

Damning stat I saw, we have dropped 25 points from winning positions this season and only gained 2 points from losing positions.

Every team will of lost points from winning positions but it’s the most in the league

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Re: 25 points from winning positions

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am

Someone on this site this week mentioned concentration, or rather lack of it in the lesser players in the EPL. Well we saw a prime example yesterday and we have witnessed it in games at home that we have thrown away. Simply not good enough. The transfer policy has been pretty much a disaster and VK is very lucky to still be in a job. Dyche wasn't afforded this grace.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:09 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am
Someone on this site this week mentioned concentration, or rather lack of it in the lesser players in the EPL. Well we saw a prime example yesterday and we have witnessed it in games at home that we have thrown away. Simply not good enough. The transfer policy has been pretty much a disaster and VK is very lucky to still be in a job. Dyche wasn't afforded this grace.
In Dyche's first season we were terrible and were flirting with relegation until the last few games or so. The football was some of the worst I had ever seen us play, especially at Championship level.
Many fans including myself wanted him potted at the end of the season. I am so glad that the board stuck with him because the following season was 1 of my favourite ever watching us.
He hardly received any criticism for being relegated in 2014-15. Rightly so IMHO. In December 2015 we were hammered at Hull on Boxing Day and again many fans were calling for his head as it looked very possible we weren't going to even make the play offs.
Then he dropped Duff, put Mee at CH and brought Ward in at LB. The rest is history as they say.
In 2018 we were spanked 5-1 at home off Everton and looked destined for relegation. Again many fans were calling for Dyche to be sacked. He then dropped Hart for Heaton and brought Mc Neill into the side.
That made the difference and ensured we stayed up. Dyche was still a relatively young inexperienced manager who made plenty of mistakes but he learnt from them.
Kompany is also a young inexperienced manager who has also made plenty of mistakes, especially earlier in the season. That is where the real damage was done. If we were to just look at the last 6 games our form has been quite good. It included a couple of draws away at West Ham and Chelsea along with a couple of home draws against 2 good sides in Brighton and Wolves, a win against Brentford and a narrow defeat to Everton.
BTW although I wanted Dyche sacked in the Summer of 2013 I wanted him to stay when we had difficult times in December 2015 and December 2018. I had learnt from my previous impatience.
I believe Kompany needs to be awarded the same grace. If we are relegated as expected and we are way off things come Christmas time in the Championship then it will be time to reassess.
These 4 users liked this post: Enola Gay evensteadiereddie Dark Cloud jos

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:13 pm

25 points from winning positions, and 15 points by my tally cost us by officials (some points probably double counted in that).

That would have us level with the Champions League places :D

I am of course being ironic but we can all see how this season could have been very different.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:25 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:13 pm
25 points from winning positions, and 15 points by my tally cost us by officials (some points probably double counted in that).

That would have us level with the Champions League places :D

I am of course being ironic but we can all see how this season could have been very different.
I would only say forest away Luton at home and Villa away are games that the poor decisions by officiating has cost us. Purely because of the time left in the game, that would put us on 5 extra points and a point less each for Forest and Luton
This user liked this post: Rowls

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:25 pm
I would only say forest away Luton at home and Villa away are games that the poor decisions by officiating has cost us. Purely because of the time left in the game, that would put us on 5 extra points and a point less each for Forest and Luton
Take your point on the time remaining. Obviously that’s a factor but also some of the decisions were at crucial times when we might’ve got a foothold in the game.

And of course when teams push on to us they could also expose themselves more.

The 25 points from winning positions is obviously a frustrating stat and an indictment of our defensive frailty. Conversely though, it’s a sign we are capable of scoring goals against premier league opposition which is a very positive sign for next year when a) we should see a lot more of the ball and b) opposing teams won’t have the quality to come back (as often).

Would also love to see the stat first and second half of the season. We’re looking decent now, I’d say.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:48 pm

The WHU coufal foul was one such crucial VAR not given that would’ve been against us. 2-0 and it’s much harder for them to stage a recovery.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:54 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:09 pm
In Dyche's first season we were terrible and were flirting with relegation until the last few games or so. The football was some of the worst I had ever seen us play, especially at Championship level.
Many fans including myself wanted him potted at the end of the season. I am so glad that the board stuck with him because the following season was 1 of my favourite ever watching us.
He hardly received any criticism for being relegated in 2014-15. Rightly so IMHO. In December 2015 we were hammered at Hull on Boxing Day and again many fans were calling for his head as it looked very possible we weren't going to even make the play offs.
Then he dropped Duff, put Mee at CH and brought Ward in at LB. The rest is history as they say.
In 2018 we were spanked 5-1 at home off Everton and looked destined for relegation. Again many fans were calling for Dyche to be sacked. He then dropped Hart for Heaton and brought Mc Neill into the side.
That made the difference and ensured we stayed up. Dyche was still a relatively young inexperienced manager who made plenty of mistakes but he learnt from them.
Kompany is also a young inexperienced manager who has also made plenty of mistakes, especially earlier in the season. That is where the real damage was done. If we were to just look at the last 6 games our form has been quite good. It included a couple of draws away at West Ham and Chelsea along with a couple of home draws against 2 good sides in Brighton and Wolves, a win against Brentford and a narrow defeat to Everton.
BTW although I wanted Dyche sacked in the Summer of 2013 I wanted him to stay when we had difficult times in December 2015 and December 2018. I had learnt from my previous impatience.
I believe Kompany needs to be awarded the same grace. If we are relegated as expected and we are way off things come Christmas time in the Championship then it will be time to reassess.
One key difference is that in the season of Dyche's second relegation we sold Wood for a good amount and Dyche was starved of funds. Kompany hasn't been starved of funds most of that coming from the sales of players signed under Dyche. Another difference is that Dyche knew how best to use the players available to him. He squeezed / ecourafes the best out of them. Ardield (a freebie) Barnes and others.
This user liked this post: expoultryboy

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 pm
Take your point on the time remaining. Obviously that’s a factor but also some of the decisions were at crucial times when we might’ve got a foothold in the game.

And of course when teams push on to us they could also expose themselves more.

The 25 points from winning positions is obviously a frustrating stat and an indictment of our defensive frailty. Conversely though, it’s a sign we are capable of scoring goals against premier league opposition which is a very positive sign for next year when a) we should see a lot more of the ball and b) opposing teams won’t have the quality to come back (as often).

Would also love to see the stat first and second half of the season. We’re looking decent now, I’d say.
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong some of the other decisions have been at shocking times in the game

Anonymous Claret

Post by Anonymous Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:54 pm
One key difference is that in the season of Dyche's second relegation we sold Wood for a good amount and Dyche was starved of funds. Kompany hasn't been starved of funds most of that coming from the sales of players signed under Dyche. Another difference is that Dyche knew how best to use the players available to him. He squeezed / ecourafes the best out of them. Ardield (a freebie) Barnes and others.
Dyche wasn't starved of funds in his final season. He probably had 1 of his biggest transfer budgets that bought Collins, Cornet and Weghorst.

I can't remember if there were others. When he strengthened with Collins and Cornet I can't remember him selling anyone. Granted, Weghorst replaced Wood.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm

One of the many problems with our team is lack of character. When we concede, especially when it's from a mistake, heads very visibly drop.

Anonymous Claret

Post by Anonymous Claret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:26 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm
One of the many problems with our team is lack of character. When we concede, especially when it's from a mistake, heads very visibly drop.
That's 1 thing that Dyche's teams usually had in abundance. I am hoping that VK recognises the need to recruit a strong leader or 2.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:00 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
I'm not so sure about that.

I would imagine most other teams'players would be dismayed if they'd conceded some of the stuff we have or been ripped off by referees as we have.

I can't think of a game where we've given up, far from it.
Chelsea away was, for me, typical of our spirit.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:43 pm

Dyche was given far more meagre funds, but ironically I think that helped him because he had to seriously think about every single purchase, were they genuine value for money and where they were going to fit into his plans. Too much cash floating around allows a more scatter gun approach and a culture where you spot decent looking players who are available and wonder if they might be useful at some point or even develop into a diamond and consequently you bring in lots of players with no real necessity, reason or firm plan. That's how our recruitment last summer comes across. It was however, utterly criminal that Dyche was basically given absolutely nothing whatsoever to spend in the final 18 months or so of his tenure and that sowed the seeds of his ultimate downfall.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:04 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:25 pm
That's a fair take imo.

If we are indeed relegated I hope these decisions don't prove to be crucial.

The home game Vs Luton and away at Notts Forest stick in the throat particularly.

Whatever happens, we're down at the bottom because we've been bad all season. At times we've been full on atrocious.

The points dropped from winning positions is a key stat that needs to be addressed.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:25 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Agreed-and another major stat being Luton have gained 12 points from losing position. That tells me there is maybe something wrong with our mentality, substitutions, moral or management of the team, and of course discipline (7 reds this season)

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:30 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 pm
Dyche wasn't starved of funds in his final season. He probably had 1 of his biggest transfer budgets that bought Collins, Cornet and Weghorst.

I can't remember if there were others. When he strengthened with Collins and Cornet I can't remember him selling anyone. Granted, Weghorst replaced Wood.
He bought Cornet nd Weghorst? I dont think so. Colloins was needed and did well - after the injury to Ben Mee which finished his season as you will know. But generally he was starved of funds and thats proabaly why he had a bust up with then ythen chairman. Anyway its water under the bridge. We had some terrifiv seasons and results - wins at Anfield, Old Trafford, the Emirates etc with Dyche and I hope we go on to have with Kompany
Last edited by Stayingup on Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:25 pm
Agreed-and another major stat being Luton have gained 12 points from losing position. That tells me there is maybe something wrong with our mentality, substitutions, moral or management of the team, and of course discipline (7 reds this season)
Couldn't agree more - it's 24 points dropped I think rather than 25 from winning positions. We've picked up two points from losing positions I think from the draws against Fulham and Chelsea.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:36 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:04 pm
That's a fair take imo.

If we are indeed relegated I hope these decisions don't prove to be crucial.

The home game Vs Luton and away at Notts Forest stick in the throat particularly.

Whatever happens, we're down at the bottom because we've been bad all season. At times we've been full on atrocious.

The points dropped from winning positions is a key stat that needs to be addressed.
It’s likely that those VAR errors will be costly but the individual errors and the inability to hold onto leads even till half time will be the ultimate factor in us going down.

You could argue the points VAR have cost us we have had back with Everton and Forest getting points taken away.

The timing of the Forest one - first away game of season
Luton at home - first home game after Christmas

They are both season changers

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm
Couldn't agree more - it's 24 points dropped I think rather than 25 from winning positions. We've picked up two points from losing positions I think from the draws against Fulham and Chelsea.
I tried to work it out in my head and got to 25 but both are really damming stats. Our record in all our premier league seasons after going behind is good at all. I remember in the 17-18 season when we came back to beat Everton at home 2-1 that was the first game we had come from behind to win a premier league game

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:53 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:38 pm
I tried to work it out in my head and got to 25 but both are really damming stats. Our record in all our premier league seasons after going behind is good at all. I remember in the 17-18 season when we came back to beat Everton at home 2-1 that was the first game we had come from behind to win a premier league game
That Everton game was the first time under Dyche but we did it twice when Laws was manager against Hull & Spurs.

In the end we did it eight times under Dyche and the last of them, like the first, was against Everton.

We dropped 19 points last season from winning positions, a lot of them in the early part of the season.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:53 pm
That Everton game was the first time under Dyche but we did it twice when Laws was manager against Hull & Spurs.

In the end we did it eight times under Dyche and the last of them, like the first, was against Everton.

We dropped 19 points last season from winning positions, a lot of them in the early part of the season.
Ahh yes the wade elliot free kick against hull I remember, spurs last game of the season?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:55 pm
Ahh yes the wade elliot free kick against hull I remember, spurs last game of the season?
And to complete the list, once when Michael Jackson was in charge at Watford.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7207 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:21 pm

I questioned whether Kompany's record is the worst top-flight one of any Burnley manager, referring to Joe Brown's second half of the season performance in 1975-76. So I thought I'd check his record out. Brown was manager for the last 18 games: won 5, drew 3, lost 10. So 13 points at two for a win. At three for a win, that would have been 18 points from 18 games. Miles better than this season. RIP, Joe Brown. Apologies for questioning you.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 pm

I should have added: since 1947-48.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:32 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:21 pm
I questioned whether Kompany's record is the worst top-flight one of any Burnley manager, referring to Joe Brown's second half of the season performance in 1975-76. So I thought I'd check his record out. Brown was manager for the last 18 games: won 5, drew 3, lost 10. So 13 points at two for a win. At three for a win, that would have been 18 points from 18 games. Miles better than this season. RIP, Joe Brown. Apologies for questioning you.
It was worse than Brian Laws’ record until that run of four without defeat. We played 18, won 3, drew 1, lost 14 with Laws although we’d only picked up 5 points from the 9 games before he took over too.

Joe was thrown into it with Lord telling him he couldn’t use some of the players. Always on a loser and he deserved much better than that.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:32 pm
It was worse than Brian Laws’ record until that run of four without defeat. We played 18, won 3, drew 1, lost 14 with Laws although we’d only picked up 5 points from the 9 games before he took over too.

Joe was thrown into it with Lord telling him he couldn’t use some of the players. Always on a loser and he deserved much better than that.
I didn't know Lord said that to him.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:30 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:10 pm
I didn't know Lord said that to him.
Joe's first game in charge was at Norwich - Willie Morgan was never selected by Joe, Mick Docherty didn't play again after the Norwich game and later in the season he stopped him from selecting Doug Collins and Colin Waldron. All were Adamson sympathisers.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:30 pm
Joe's first game in charge was at Norwich - Willie Morgan was never selected by Joe, Mick Docherty didn't play again after the Norwich game and later in the season he stopped him from selecting Doug Collins and Colin Waldron. All were Adamson sympathisers.
I see. I knew Morgan fell out with Lord. We should never have gone down with the players available.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm
I see. I knew Morgan fell out with Lord. We should never have gone down with the players available.
The war between Lord and Adamson made it almost inevitable and then Joe Brown had no chance.

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:09 pm
I never once wanted Dyche gone. The man worked miracles, often with one hand tied behind his back due to the boards 'dry powder' policy.
VK worked miracles last season. This season, he's made several massive mistakes. For me, he starts next season with a weight of expectation. Hopefully he's learnt some lessons