Share this page :

1617 burnley turf moor 03 1000x500Following the abandonment of yesterday’s friendly against Hannover, the Lancashire Police issued the following statement from Chief Superintendent Chris Bithell which read:

“A decision has been taken to abandon the football match between Burnley FC and Hannover 96, following consultation between the police match commander, the referee and Burnley FC’s grounds safety officer. This follows violent behaviour by a group of travelling Hannover fans, who attempted to attack fans in the home stands, as well as police officers and stewards.

“Although a robust policing operation was in place for the match, based on pre-game intelligence, additional resources have now been brought in from across the county to ensure no further disorder occurs.”

The police are now asking for anybody with footage of the disorder to send it to them online at, using the ‘Report a Crime or Incident’ form, quoting log number 546 of today (Saturday, August 5th).

We’ve all had our say on the matter but if any of you can help the police by providing any footage, please do so.


The Police have since issued another statement on Sunday 6th August- see below:

We are appealing for mobile phone footage showing the disorder which occurred yesterday (Saturday) at the Burnley FC v Hannover 96 football game. 

Our investigation into the incident is very much ongoing and we are determined to identify those responsible for causing injury and criminal damage at the Turf Moor stadium. Although we have received some footage which shows the incident, we would like to hear from anybody else who filmed the disorder, which began shortly before half-time.

Chief Superintendent Chris Bithell, of Lancashire Police, said: “The disorder we saw yesterday has no place in football, and certainly not in Lancashire. Children and families were in attendance at what was a pre-season friendly match, which should have passed peacefully and without incident – but which ended up being abandoned due to the behaviour of some of the travelling Hannover fans. Both the constabulary and Burnley FC condemn this behaviour.

“Overnight we have collated and trawled through footage of the disorder, but we believe there will be more people who have videos on their phones which could help with our ongoing investigation.

“Anybody who has such footage is asked to send it to us as soon as possible.”

A proportionate policing operation was in place based on pre-game intelligence, however the behaviour of many Hannover fans before and during the game was confrontational from the outset.

Forty minutes into the game a large group of Hannover fans attempted en masse to breach segregation and attack home supporters. This violence escalated with police officers and stewards being attacked, and ultimately we decided in consultation with the referee and the club’s grounds safety officer that the game could not continue.

During the disorder Hannover fans also caused damage to the stands by ripping out seating, before using it as weapons and missiles against officers and grounds staff.

Extra resources were quickly drafted in from across the county and the visiting Hannover fans were escorted from the stadium and away from the ground to ensure no further disorder took place.

As a result of the violence, a police officer suffered a head injury, and was treated at Burnley General Hospital. He has since been discharged. Two stewards suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene, and one suffered a dislocated shoulder and is currently undergoing treatment in hospital.

Ch Supt Bithell added: “We are now continuing to work closely with staff and managers at Burnley FC, and their co-operation has been very much appreciated. Similarly, we would like to thank the fans who co-operated and left the ground without incident once the game had been called off.

“Once again, if anyone has mobile phone footage please send it to us as soon as possible.”


Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :