Share this page :

Last Saturday I made what has become a rare visit for me to Gawthorpe to watch the youth team in action. Having gone 1-0 up with a Nashé Chakwana goal we fell to a 2-1 defeat against Shrewsbury. It really was a case of déjà vu this afternoon as Carlisle went one better and beat us 3-1 after the same player had given us the lead.

To be honest I could use the same words as Saturday, of taking the lead, losing it and going on to be deservedly beaten and I could report on the trucks moving sand around as if it were the beach at Blackpool.

gawthorpe welcomeWe started quite brightly and it was no surprise when we took the lead, Chakwana turning in a Jamal Crawford cross from the right. With the larger than life Carlisle coach concerning himself more with the referee, I think it was something to do with the footballs, we looked, for a period, the better side.

We got past the half hour in front but then the visitors equalised with the goal of the game. It was scored by Max Brown and, given his performance, he might be a name to remember. He hit a shot from the left hand side which left goalkeeper Connor King with no chance as it sailed into the far top corner.

With the 45 minutes gone at the end of the first half, we moved into time added on and Carlisle used it to their advantage to go in front for the first time. King could only parry the initial effort and it fell kindly for Jack Egan to knock the ball in from close range.

Carlisle added a third goal in the second half through Arron Bradbury but we offered little in return and a nondescript half ended with us on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline and we could have no complaint.

The aforementioned Carlisle coach, Vince Overson applauded his players for keeping their shape and discipline even after going behind. They were the better of the two sides and to be honest there was little shape or discipline to our performance, and that must be of real concern to our coach John Townson.

Meanwhile the building work continues and, once the wind had died down, it was a pleasant afternoon in the sun.

The Burnley team was: Connor King, Vashiko Dixon, James Clarke, Lewis Norvock, Andy Nugent, Jamal Crawford, Mark Howarth, Miles Fenton, Tyler Shrimpton, Nashé Chakwana, Josh Dolling. Subs: Marcel Wusiewicz, Wilson, Olatunde Bayode, Dwight McNeil, Tristan Jumeau.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :