Share this page :

The under-23s recorded a 2-0 win tonight against Middlesbrough at Leyland to take the unbeaten run in the league to six games, with four wins and two draws.

Two goals in the space of two minutes were enough to give the Clarets victory on a night when, for the most part, we were so much on top it could have been an even bigger victory.

The first half was, in the main, one way traffic when Middlesbrough could count themselves very lucky to be only two goals behind and even more so to still have eleven on the pitch.

We started well, attacking the Pilky End, and it did look just a matter of time before we scored. Balls went across the box, Middlesbrough got blocks in while Anthony Glennon smashed one shot against the underside of the bar.

Something had to give and it did on 18 minutes when Michael Mellon (pictured) got onto the ball on the right hand side of the box and hit a shot across the goalkeeper and into the net off the foot of the post.

Two minutes later it was 2-0. There was no doubting that it was a superb ball into the box from the impressive Ne-Jai Tucker. It looked as though a Middlesbrough defender had turned the ball into his own net and it was soon confirmed that the player was George Gitau.

Gitau was yellow carded soon afterwards and quite how he avoided another later in the first half I don’t know. I remain convinced that there was no yellow only because the referee would then have had to send him off. Needless to say, the assistant, who had a good view too, chose to ignore it.

Still, 2-0 at half time, but the second half never really lived up to the first, and rarely did we threaten to add to our tally. Not as though Middlesbrough offered much either until, with just over twenty minutes to go, they got forward.

Bobby Thomas tried to tug on the shirt of the Boro forward but the referee played an advantage. It came to nothing with the referee then, incredibly, bringing it back for a free kick and sending off Thomas.

It did allow them into the game a little more and they did win a penalty. Substitute Jeremy Sivi sent Sam Waller the wrong way but his spot kick missed the goal by some distance.

That was it, a 2-0 win, but it had been a disappointing second half and, overall, this was a game we could have won by a bigger margin. But, there was some really good football played by us in that first half.

The teams were;

Burnley: Sam Waller, Finlay Armstrong, Jacob Bedeau, Bobby Thomas, Anthony Glennon, Ne-Jai Tucker (Dara Costello 79), Mark Helm, Ben Woods, Owen Dodgson, Michael Mellon (Jake Rooney 87), Joe McGlynn (Max Thompson 83). Subs not used: Harry Allen, Ethen Vaughan.

Middlesbrough: Max Metcalfe, George Gitau, Sam Collins, Isiah Cornet, Cain Sykes, Jack Hannah, Sam Folarin, Jack Stott, Stephen Walker (Pharrell Willis 79), Callum Kavanagh (Jeremy Sivi 61), Joe Gibson. Subs not used: Oliver Swann, Joshua Wells, Malik DijkSteel.

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :