Share this page :

The under-18s went into this morning’s game against Bolton at Gawthorpe having won all our previous home games this season, five in the league and one, against today’s opponents, in the Lancashire FA Youth Cup.

But that record went despite us coming from 1-0 behind at half time, and there wasn’t even a point to be had when Bolton scored an 85th minute winner.

1819 burnley mitch george 00 500x500It was busy this morning with a larger crowd than usual but they don’t seem to be too concerned who they let in down there these days, there was a certain David Dunn stood just to my right.

His presence certainly didn’t inspire us. On a bright, crisp morning, and despite having both Ethan Kershaw and Michael Fowler available, we really struggled to get any pattern into our game and far too often resorted to hitting long balls into the channels. Bolton were, for around the first half hour, the better side but they weren’t able to capitalise on that and didn’t really create too many chances.

Eventually we started to get into the game. We had a couple of decent spells but then, when least expected, we conceded a goal five minutes before half time. It seemed to take a deflection but it was an effort we will probably be disappointed not to have kept out.

So a goal behind at half time, but we could have been level within 15 seconds of the restart. Mitch George broke through but the goalkeeper did well to block his shot. The same goalkeeper didn’t cope quite so well, however, on 53 minutes when George (pictured), fired in a shot from the edge of the box. He got a hand on it but couldn’t keep it out.

We were very much in the ascendancy now and on 65 minutes we went in front with another superb left foot strike from Fowler. At that point I thought we would go on to win the game comfortably but we were in front for less than two minutes before we conceded a sloppy equaliser.

A draw began to look the more likely but Bolton, with a good strike themselves, won it on 85 minutes. We fought back and gave it a real go to try and get an equaliser, but that one golden chance wouldn’t come and we suffered a first home defeat of the season.

The Burnley team was: Kai Calderbank-Park, Joel Connelly, Edon Pruti, Bobby Thomas, Matty Rain, Kai Smith, Terry Mupariwa, Ethan Kershaw, Cricky Conn-Clarke, Mitch George (Rhys Fenlon 72), Michael Fowler. Subs not used: Harry Allen, Udoka Chimna, Joe McGlynn, Kian Yari.

Share this page :

Follow UpTheClarets: