ARTICLE: It’s another replay as Burnley battle back in the mud

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: It’s another replay as Burnley battle back in the mud

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:21 am

FA Cup week in 1960 and a third successive away draw for us in the competition

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/its-anothe ... in-the-mud

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: It’s another replay as Burnley battle back in the mud

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 am

Can remember being at home with my eldest brother. He always played football on Saturday afternoons so I'm guessing his game was called off due to the weather. We found out, to our astonishment, that we were losing 2-0(probably via the radio as there was no other medium). Anyway, we put the TV on for the results on the old ticker tape on Grandstand expecting the worst. I can still remember my brother saying 'we'll just have to win the league then this year' as we waited for the inevitable. 2-2, we just couldn't believe it. I was a few weeks short of my 8 th birthday and my brother was 21 but both of us reacted like we'd won the game. It would be another couple of hours before we found out details of the game after I was sent on my weekly trudge through slush and snow to pick up the sports paper. After having collected it I was the last one to get a look at it as I was the youngest but the joy was there on the faces of my dad and two big brothers and that was good enough for me. Got some brilliant pictures and reports from the game in our scrapbook; and it was most definetly a mud bath.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:58 am

Younger fans just wouldn't understand in these days of instant news that sometimes it was almost impossible to find out how the game was going unless you were there, and then the first bit of real news from the game coming from the Sports Pink.
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 Silkyskills1

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:28 am

The crowd at the replay was enormous, traffic gridlocked as far back as Tod.
Hen thieving was quite a pastime then in Burnley it seems, as for the Mayor's smarmy obsequiousness, words fail me. But spot on re Prince Andrew!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:49 am

CleggHall wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:28 am
Hen thieving was quite a pastime then in Burnley it seems, as for the Mayor's smarmy obsequiousness, words fail me. But spot on re Prince Andrew!
You wouldn't have thought hen thieving would be so popular. As for Prince Andrew, I wonder if it was the done thing then for towns to send messages and organise big events? I bet Edith Utley might not have done if she could have predicted the Prince's more recent activities.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:45 pm

I look forward to these articles, as much for your review of the latest news as for the match reports themselves.

As for Prince Andrew, I've no idea why he is, reputedly, the Queen's favourite child. He's certainly the thickest.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:45 pm
As for Prince Andrew, I've no idea why he is, reputedly, the Queen's favourite child. He's certainly the thickest.
I shudder to think what Edith Utley would make of it all now.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm

I went to this match with my dad in his new Morris 1000. I can't remember which route we took but I do remember taking an age to get there and return through country side and busy country roads. We stood behind the goals low down on a cold, open terrace and our view was not great to say the least.
When we were 2-0 down with not long to go I remember my dad asking if we should leave that bit earlier to try and beat the traffic: just as he said this we scored to bring the score to 2-1. I can clearly remember the equaliser very late on, though to be honest I can't recall the build up, just a shot going through a crowded area to score. As we left the ground there were a lot of angry Bradford fans making me feel quite uncomfortable (I was only twelve years old), but we got back to my dad's Morris 1000 and had a cup of hottish Stomike coffee from a flask to warm our cold hands and bodies. Then, it was a long journey home through heavy traffic. I remember being glad to get home to our house in Rosegrove and I think we had some Bob Birds fish and chips to celebrate.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am

Great stuff! I didn't go to the match but my Dad did as a friend took him in his car. They missed the equalizing goal having left a few minutes early. I didn't go to the match but did go to the replay but that, presumably, is another story!
Interesting that Pilky "fell" not that he was fouled...where was VAR.!!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Suratclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am
Great stuff! I didn't go to the match but my Dad did as a friend took him in his car. They missed the equalizing goal having left a few minutes early. I didn't go to the match but did go to the replay but that, presumably, is another story!
Interesting that Pilky "fell" not that he was fouled...where was VAR.!!
6th round draw tomorrow and that other story on Sunday