ARTICLE: Muric back to fans’ acclaim

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Muric back to fans’ acclaim

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:55 am

MOM & Player Ratings result v Brentford

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/muric-back-to-fans-acclaim

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Re: ARTICLE: Muric back to fans’ acclaim

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:36 am

Glad he did well.

I’m not questioning VK’s decision to make Trafford first choice, I’ve no doubt Trafford will become a top GK, but he did wait far too long to make a change in goal.

Just as Muric was expected to bide his time, Trafford would also have accepted if he had been benched before.
These are decisions that professional players at this level must be able to take, so I don’t believe all this talk about affecting his confidence etc.

VK has many great attributes to become a great manager, the manner in which he rebuilt the squad and the style of play was remarkable.

But maybe he still needs to drop a little bit of his stubbornness in his ideas on tactics and team selection for which he was also known at Anderlecht.

This season is probably too late, but I do think we have a good shot of returning next season with VK at the helm.

The lesson learnt is you can’t survive in the PL without some experience in the team and strength at the back.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Colburn_Claret

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:40 am

Belgianclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:36 am
Glad he did well.

I’m not questioning VK’s decision to make Trafford first choice, I’ve no doubt Trafford will become a top GK, but he did wait far too long to make a change in goal.

Just as Muric was expected to bide his time, Trafford would also have accepted if he had been benched before.
These are decisions that professional players at this level must be able to take, so I don’t believe all this talk about affecting his confidence etc.

VK has many great attributes to become a great manager, the manner in which he rebuilt the squad and the style of play was remarkable.

But maybe he still needs to drop a little bit of his stubbornness in his ideas on tactics and team selection for which he was also known at Anderlecht.

This season is probably too late, but I do think we have a good shot of returning next season with VK at the helm.

The lesson learnt is you can’t survive in the PL without some experience in the team and strength at the back.
Your last two paragraphs are spot on

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 am

Belgianclaret wrote:
Glad he did well.

Good post but just thinking about your comment about stubbornness. I think there's also an argument to suggest the complete opposite. VK completely changed our style around abouts the Arsenal game so we becane a compact 442 team not too dissimilar to what Dyche used for a structure.

In my view he caved in a bit to pressure from the outside because of the goals we were conceding. The top managers nowadays have principles in terms of style that they dont go away from. Since reverting to the passing style a bit in the last few weeks we have looked a lot better.

It reminds me of the quotes from Gary Neville about his spell in Valencia where he mentioned how he kept changing styles and systems in an attempt to find results but in doing so he gave of mixed messages to the players and eventually lost his job.

It may be that we needed to go through that spell of going more compact and direct to progress but now weve reverted a bit style wise it does make me wonder if wed have been better if VK had stuck more strictly to his principles throughout the season.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5090 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:08 am

The club should have learnt from how we dealt with Pope. Virtually identical scenario league 1 keeper joins a Premier league club,ok I get it that Trafford is under 21 national keeper and anything linked with City adds even more expectations but Dyche new a keeper cannot make that leap in one go,if Trafford was just introduced for cup games and an injury we wouldn't be in this mess and a young keepers confidence shot.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 am

If we had played the season with Muric in goal, Cullen in midfield in place of Brownhill and had a striking option like Fofana and or Foster, we wouldn't be in the mess we find ourselves in. And the blame for that can only land at the door of VK.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:40 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:08 am
The club should have learnt from how we dealt with Pope. Virtually identical scenario league 1 keeper joins a Premier league club,ok I get it that Trafford is under 21 national keeper and anything linked with City adds even more expectations but Dyche new a keeper cannot make that leap in one go,if Trafford was just introduced for cup games and an injury we wouldn't be in this mess and a young keepers confidence shot.
Pope wasn't a League One keeper. We signed him after he was relegated from the Championship, the same as we did with Tom Heaton. He played against us on the last day of the season didn't he?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:44 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Glad he did well.

Agree fully with this post apart from the bit about stubbornness - I think he has not been stubborn enough, abandoning his style last year, the sweeper keeper playing quarterback, the very high defensive line which was notably higher last Saturday. We may have been flayed a few times doing that, but I bet we would have won a few more as well. Sides struggle to cope at times and they get deeper and deeper.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5090 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:55 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:40 pm
Pope wasn't a League One keeper. We signed him after he was relegated from the Championship, the same as we did with Tom Heaton. He played against us on the last day of the season didn't he?
Heaton played for Bristol City against us and stopped us getting a cricket score. Wasn't Pope a buy one JBG and get one free Pope from Charlton, not sure he was their first choice but a similar age to Trafford.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:55 pm
Heaton played for Bristol City against us and stopped us getting a cricket score. Wasn't Pope a buy one JBG and get one free Pope from Charlton, not sure he was their first choice but a similar age to Trafford.
Signed at the same time. Much to the amusement of some Middlesbrough fans if I recall.
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret bfcjg

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:55 pm
Nick Pope was in the first team at Charlton because the first choice keeper had been critical of the ownership and the manager was told not to select him. Pope arrived at Burnley as third choice behind Tom Heaton and Paul Robinson.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg jlup1980

Vim Fuego
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Vim Fuego » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:12 pm

Likely we go down or somehow we manage to stay up, either way it feels like we have turned a corner with Muric being brought back

Pivotal moment. Not only did it bring a win, but an air of calm has descended on this forum

And he really is great to watch
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm
Nick Pope was in the first team at Charlton because the first choice keeper had been critical of the ownership and the manager was told not to select him. Pope arrived at Burnley as third choice behind Tom Heaton and Paul Robinson.
The Paul Robinson thing was a bit silly. I get wanting experience but he was absolutey past it. He really was rubbish

distortiondave
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 pm

Of all the players we've had deserving of being called 'rubbish', I bet Paul Robinson is on no-one's top 100.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:12 pm

Hes probably not in mine either., weve had quite a lot of rubbish.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 pm

I thought Paul Robinson played alright in the few games he played! We lost all of them mind 😅

Probably did a fair bit behind the scenes helping Popey develop. He was a top goalie in his prime.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 am

It's all if's and buts if this or that had happened as we will never know through Vincent's being stubborn...