Spurs v Burnley FA Cup

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lip
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Spurs v Burnley FA Cup

Post by Lip » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Some great matches,who can rember this ? Maybe some body on here might have attended ?

https://youtu.be/mU8Lr9oZAG8?si=7XMkvASDK0IDNtYS

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Re: Spurs v Burnley FA Cup

Post by Westleigh » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:27 pm

Lip wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:51 pm
Some great matches,who can rember this ? Maybe some body on here might have attended ?

I seem to think it was an afternoon midweek kick off ,I was coming home on the bus from NGS and I think the conductor had it on his radio ( or I could have completely imagined it ) and didn’t Blacklaw chase Terry Dyson across the pitch ?

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:49 pm

Yes it was an afternoon midweek game.
Just like many, many other games that winter, the match had been postponed a few times and so when it was eventually played they kicked off in the afternoon in the hope that the game would be finished before the temperature dropped below freezing.

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:42 am

Early afternoon kick off due to likelihood of power cuts. Hence no power to venue nor floodlights. Game had to finish before it went dark.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 840 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:08 am

I’d like to post this clip as evidence that the “Yanks” are not responsible for the word soccer. Being as it’s 1963 and the commentator uses the word soccer. 😂😂😂

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:16 am

I seem to remember that some if not all of the team either wore baseball boots or at least rubber studded boots which were uncommon then. Gave them the ability to cope with the surface better. I was at junior school and one of the kids was arguing that it was a shame we couldn’t beat Tottenham as well as Spurs!He genuinely thought they were two different teams!!(It was Rishton, we were a little behind!)

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1284 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:23 am

Lip wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:51 pm

The remarkable thing about this game it was the third year in succession we'd played Tottenham in the FA Cup.

In '61 it was a semi-final at Villa Park where we lost 0-3 and then in '62, of course, the Final itself at Wembley where again we lost 1-3. I was fortunate to be at both these games but the next one, the third round in '63, I was not able to attend.

This game was played on a Monday afternoon at White Hart Lane after several postponements due to snow and ice. Ironically this time we came out on top winning 3-0 with goals from Connelly, Harris and Lochhead. The key thing for me about these three games is the way our team acted like gentlemen in defeat, whereas Tottenham simply could not take losing. The likes of Mackay and Dyson, to name but two, were a disgrace to their Club.

We had other titanic battles against them around this time but the best, for me, will always be the league game in London in 1960. We'd played an away European Cup match in Reims on the last day of November before travelling to Totteham three days later for this league game. We found ourselves 0-4 down by half-time and frankly the team looked shattered. Somehow we found the strength to pull the four goals back in the second half to draw 4-4. Without doubt one of the finest performances of all time from a Burnley team.
This user liked this post: Lip

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:34 am

Didn’t they beat twice before with really dodgy offside goals ,or us having good goals disallowed?

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:17 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:34 am
Didn’t they beat twice before with really dodgy offside goals ,or us having good goals disallowed?
Certainly a few contentious decisions in both the Semi-Final in '61 and the Final in '62......One of those in the Final, when the teams were level, still gives me nightmares to this day......If VAR had been around in those days the outcome of both games might well have been different.

But the point stands that we accepted the result in both cases with humility, something that Tottenham failed to do in '63......They knew, that snowy afternoon in London, they were beaten by the better team......in fact, to be frank, they were played off the park.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32585 times
Has Liked: 5288 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:23 pm

Played during a horrible winter on a Wednesday afternoon and you can see from the pics that there was plenty of snow.

That season we played Sheffield Wednesday on 29th December in the league and didn't play another league game until 2nd March at Sheffield United.

Between them, we played Spurs and then Liverpool twice in the FA Cup with those games proving to be Jimmy McIlroy's final games for us.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 63-results

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1220 times
Has Liked: 7220 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:25 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:23 am
The remarkable thing about this game it was the third year in succession we'd played Tottenham in the FA Cup.

In '61 it was a semi-final at Villa Park where we lost 0-3 and then in '62, of course, the Final itself at Wembley where again we lost 1-3. I was fortunate to be at both these games but the next one, the third round in '63, I was not able to attend.

This game was played on a Monday afternoon at White Hart Lane after several postponements due to snow and ice. Ironically this time we came out on top winning 3-0 with goals from Connelly, Harris and Lochhead. The key thing for me about these three games is the way our team acted like gentlemen in defeat, whereas Tottenham simply could not take losing. The likes of Mackay and Dyson, to name but two, were a disgrace to their Club.

We had other titanic battles against them around this time but the best, for me, will always be the league game in London in 1960. We'd played an away European Cup match in Reims on the last day of November before travelling to Totteham three days later for this league game. We found ourselves 0-4 down by half-time and frankly the team looked shattered. Somehow we found the strength to pull the four goals back in the second half to draw 4-4. Without doubt one of the finest performances of all time from a Burnley team.
A colleague of mine in a school in the area walked across the marshes to attend the 4-4 draw. He was a Spurs fan.
This user liked this post: Royboyclaret

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:23 pm
Played during a horrible winter on a Wednesday afternoon and you can see from the pics that there was plenty of snow.

That season we played Sheffield Wednesday on 29th December in the league and didn't play another league game until 2nd March at Sheffield United.

Between them, we played Spurs and then Liverpool twice in the FA Cup with those games proving to be Jimmy McIlroy's final games for us.

Important to recognise that Jimmy Mac's performance in that 4-4 draw at Tottenham was as close to perfection as you will ever see......He was at his imperious best and ripped Tottenham to shreds......and they knew it, especially Danny Blanchflower.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:42 pm

Someone has just reminded me, look at Jimmy Mac for that contribution to Robson's third goal.

Don't talk to me about Messi.

clarets1978
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by clarets1978 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:23 pm

There's footage on YouTube of the Sheffield Wednesday game and the pitch appears to be snowbound but I cant work out from the quality of the footage whether its snowing or not!

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm

Tottenham knew they had, in John White, the closest thing to Jimmy Mac they had.

But, in reality, there was no comparison.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 2536 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:50 pm

I was in 'top class' at junior school in Haslingden at the time. Bitterly cold with no let up since a day or two after Boxing Day. Fixtures were already in chaos and there seemed little chance of this cup tie being on any time soon. Looking at the weather pre- match and the state of the pitch throughout it was amazing that it did go ahead( by today's standards anyway).
Got home from school knowing the game was being played so I'm guessing the decision had been made some hours earlier. These were two of the best teams in the country, a repeat of last season's final but no coverage of it through any medium. Can't remember how I found out the final score. This was football in early 1963 but I know I was as pleased and excited as if I'd witnessed it. And, despite what I've written, they truly were great times, football wise at least.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:00 pm

clarets1978 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:45 pm
There's footage on YouTube of the Sheffield Wednesday game and the pitch appears to be snowbound but I cant work out from the quality of the footage whether its snowing or not!
Nine of the first division games called off that day, only ours and Forest v West Ham were played. In the other divisions there were just three in each of the second and third divisions played and one in the fourth division.

It really was an horrendous winter.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 541 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:36 pm

Blue lines and orange ball for the Sheff Wednesday game if I remember rightly. My hero Ray Pointer scored two in this game so I was made up for Christmas.

In the programme notes Harry Potts comments that we were among the best teams in the country and although Burnley had lost at eventual Champions Everton in the previous fixture, McKilroy had scored the best goal of the game.( and his last for Burnley).

For the trip down to London for the original tie scheduled for Saturday 5th January you could travel down for 43/- departing from Accy Station at 5.00 a.m. via Burnley Central, Brierfield Earby and Skipton obviously using the now defunct Colne to Skipton line down to St Pancras.

Alternatively Central coaches were offering a journey for a the more modest sum of 33/-, kids @ 22/- however departure from Burnley via Padiham was 11.00 p.m. on Friday night!

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Central Motors regularly ran coaches to southern away games leaving on Friday nights at 11pm.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:34 pm

Targetman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:01 pm
Central Motors regularly ran coaches to southern away games leaving on Friday nights at 11pm.
Some memory there, Targetman......total quietness on the journey until 3 a.m.!!......then constant natter to the game ahead.

Bit different in '64/'65 season.....We played Tottenham twice in the first four games of the season.

We'd played them at home in the second game when Ian Towers scored, then a lunchtime departure from Whitegate Motors seven days later as Towers scored again at White Hart Lane in the evening kick-off. Ian's appearances were limited behind Gordon Harris but he was a wholehearted player.

That was the season when the incomparable Willie Irvine scored 22 goals in 33 league appearances.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:40 pm

Like Royboy I was at the semi and the final and was going to go to that one as well but I started work the following Monday so couldn't make it. We also played them again in '65 and lost 3-4 after being 3-1 up (I think).

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1155 times
Has Liked: 1626 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm

redwasp wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:40 pm
Like Royboy I was at the semi and the final and was going to go to that one as well but I started work the following Monday so couldn't make it. We also played them again in '65 and lost 3-4 after being 3-1 up (I think).
2 -0 in first 5 mins then 3-2 up around the hour mark...

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:48 pm

redwasp wrote:
That was one of the cruellest cuts of all-time, redwasp......The great Willie Irvine scored a hat-trick, yet still ended up on the losing side!

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm
2 -0 in first 5 mins then 3-2 up around the hour mark...
[/quote

How proud you must be of your Dad CTID........37 goals in that 1965/66 season.

I know I'm proud my son is called Irvine.
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

sjb
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by sjb » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:59 pm

We sold 3000 tickets for the original date in January 1963, but agreed to buy back any from supporters who couldn't make the midweek afternoon kick off. The postponements saw Bill Nicholson personally phone Harry Potts & Albert Maddox to prevent the travelling party have wasted journeys.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:20 pm

CTID.....Not often that Keith McNee of the Burnley Express eulogised about the quality of a goal scored, but he always said that your Dad's goal for Burnley Reserves against Blackpool was the finest goal he had ever seen......Was that on the Turf or at Bloomfield Road.......Can you please add some details ?

On another note.....on the second last game of the '62/'63 season Harry Potts asked 19 years-old Willie to travel down to Arsenal as boot boy for the day......It ensued that Andy Lochhead was injured before the game and incredibly Willie made his debut at Highbury only to score on his first start.......He impressed so much that he kept his place for the final game of the season against Birmingham, only to score a hat-trick......You could'nt make it up, the man was a phenomenon.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:23 pm

redwasp wrote:
Was 1966 - we were 2-0 up after 5 mins, Spurs levelled but we went 3-2 up.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 66-results

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 984 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:34 pm

I remember this match being played on a Wednesday afternoon. I was at school and our scheduled football games at Gunnersbury Park had been called off because of snow covered pitches. I arrived home after school to learn on the evening news that the FA Cup game had gone ahead on a snow covered pitch with Jimmy McIlroy controlling the match resulting in a 0-3 away victory.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 541 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:23 pm
Was 1966 - we were 2-0 up after 5 mins, Spurs levelled but we went 3-2 up.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 66-results
Thanks for posting that CT some very memorable fixtures that season. The Chelsea game prior to the Spurs Cup Tie was notable as John Angus scored, only to be toppled by one of the best goals ever scored at the Turf by Peter Osgood.

However you might like to correct the goalscorer for the penultimate game vs Leeds where you have the wrong Ulsterman down as scorer. Not sure how anyone could ever forget that goal if you were there. Perhaps the most bizarre goal ever scored by a Burnley player.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:24 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:21 pm
Thanks for posting that CT some very memorable fixtures that season. The Chelsea game prior to the Spurs Cup Tie was notable as John Angus scored, only to be toppled by one of the best goals ever scored at the Turf by Peter Osgood.

However you might like to correct the goalscorer for the penultimate game vs Leeds where you have the wrong Ulsterman down as scorer. Not sure how anyone could ever forget that goal if you were there. Perhaps the most bizarre goal ever scored by a Burnley player.
I missed the Chelsea game through illness so never saw the Osgood goal. Angus scored in successive games too, very rare.

If you look at the goal in the Leeds game, it’s showing Burnley v Stoke rather than Leeds. I’ll get that changed, thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: And changed.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:57 pm

Had a couple of whiskies.........but was was the first Angus goal not against Fulham away ?

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:06 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:57 pm
Had a couple of whiskies.........but was was the first Angus goal not against Fulham away ?
Or even on the Turf ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:16 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:57 pm
On the link

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:53 pm

So John scored on the Turf.......even if it was a scuffed affair, do you recall the goal CT ?